Start by marking “Kid Presidents: True Tales of Childhood from America's Presidents” as Want to Read:
Kid Presidents: True Tales of Childhood from America's Presidents

Kid Presidents: True Tales of Childhood from America's Presidents

(Kid Legends)

The kids who grew up to be president were like a lot of other children. Some struggled with schoolwork and got into fights; others pranked their teachers and infuriated their parents. William Howard Taft was forced to take dance lessons. Gerald Ford struggled with dyslexia. Teddy Roosevelt had a bedroom "museum" full of dead animals. "Kid Presidents" features 20 captivatin ...more
Published October 28th 2014 by Quirk Books

Start your review of Kid Presidents: True Tales of Childhood from America's Presidents
Kevin Topolovec
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love reading about how our country's leaders were "Just like me" when they were kids...only way more impressive in every way.
Candice
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received an advance reader's copy of this book through a giveaway on Goodreads. My eight-year-old daughter loved the book. The illustrations, short biographies and interesting facts made it fun for her and allowed her to skip around. I enjoyed the book as well and learned quite a bit more than I thought I would.
Katie
Olivia and I read this for our first book club book. She devoured it and thought it was fascinating. I thought it was cute, but some of the stories were very forgettable.
Lisa
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it

Just received my copy last night. Fascinating thus far! Read through 60 pages before I knew it and had to finish making dinner. I'm sure the kids will love it, too. Will update once I finish (which will prob be today!)

This is a well-written compilation of fun facts. It's witty and factual at the same time..right up a kid's alley, esp one who loves facts and snippets of qu9iz-type information (Guinness records and th
Matthew
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engaging and appropriately anecdotal

This was one of those collections of information that my reluctant readers would just eat up. It doesn't linger on any one president's story for too long, and it's just enough to constitute a good source of information for kids. I'd happily recommend this book to my students if they were in the market for nonfiction. Both fun and informative.
LibraryDanielle
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher.

This book was totally adorable. It had many short chapters/sections with facts that were interesting and engaging. All of the information provided was done in a manner that kids (and adults) will find appealing. I found it very interesting to read about the presidents as kids, especially the ones that were total brats. I loved the (few) pictuers that were in the advance copy, and would love to see the finished version. The pictures are humorous a
paula
Barack Obama's first job was scooping ice cream at Baskin Robbins - and he can't stand ice cream to this day! That was me, too! Although I've made my peace with ice cream, and next time the President is in Baltimore, I'd be happy to take him to the Charmery and see if he doesn't change his mind. I brought this book home today from a Book Buzz event, and my 11-year-old snatched it up right away and had it half read by dinnertime. It's a fun one!
Charlie P.
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Kid Presidents: True Tales Of Childhood From America's Presidents" By David Stabler and illustrated by Doogie Horner is a great fun book full of fun little stories about presidents when they were young kids like us. A few things that I personally disliked is when the author puts little on sentence stories that interest me and that I want to learn a little more about. Otherwise I really enjoyed this book and if you are a fan of short stories this is a book for you.
Kristen
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a fun nonfiction book about the presidents as kids. There are stories to be inspired by, but also lots of stories of naughtiness and kids being kids. I think this does a great job of humanizing the presidents for kids and showing them that all kids--even ones who grow up to be president--have some things in common.
Melissa
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads-arcs
Well written, and funny! Even with my major in American History, I still learned a few things, especially about some of the presidents who weren't exactly "all-stars". I look forward to revisiting this book when it comes out, mainly to see the finished artwork. I will definitely be recommending this to my customers.

Thank you to Quirk Books and Goodreads Giveaway for the ARC!
Sera
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbr
I won a an advanced readers copy off a contest on Quirk Books twitter contest! 5/5 is honestly earned for this. I believe this book is wonderful for children and adults! I can see myself reading this more than once. :)
Leah Angstman
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Full review HERE. ...more
Ebookwormy1
Kid Legends Series review…
Kid Legends is a multi-author, multi-illustrator series that is a big hit with students. The text and illustration have a casual style that often includes an undertone of sarcasm. Kid Legends is not as far over the edge or a busy as the “You Wouldn’t Want to be…” series, which I find annoying, but they use a little zest with the subject matter. This upbeat tone, even in the accounting of serious childhood struggles, maintains the positive message that all will come out
H
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a quick reading choice for kids who like non-fiction and/or stories about real people, who crave longer books, but maybe don't quite have the stamina for a full novel-length biography. There are chapters on the childhoods of various presidents - Washington, Lyndon Johnson, Obama, Franklin Roosevelt, Lincoln, etc. interspersed with short chapters that give little snippets about various other presidents. The stories are centered on character traits, or challenges the presidents faced as ch ...more
Lucy Annis-Bercier
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read another book by the same author called kid athletes and it was really fun and I learned a lot of new things. When I found out there was another one called kid presidents I knew I had to read it. This book tells at least one story or fact about each president in a not boring fact kind of way. The illustrations are hilarious and they level out with the paragraphs just write, so there’s not to many words but definitely not to many drawings. I never looked at the presidents the same way ...more
This is cute. Short entries about some of America's most famous (or infamous, depending on your opinion) presidents. Cartoon illustrations ramp up the kid-friendly factor. Chock-ful of interesting tidbits. Would make for fun, quick items to read aloud during a history or writing session.
Did you know young Warren G. Harding was once hired to shuck corn for 50 cents a day? He so loathed manual labor he quit after a mere ten minutes. Or that Barak Obama has actually held a position other than a co
Kate Schwarz
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I finished this book with Kiefer this evening--my other two children, older than him, have already read it several times over. And they've also read the two other books in this series: Kid Athletes and Kid Artists. The series is great... In Kid Presidents, each chapter is about a different president--specifically, what he was like as a child. Each story is fairly specific and often just a touch wild or zany or funny. After reading the book, the presidents seem to be pretty normal, imperfect, and ...more
Andrea
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A pretty fantastic book about stories of the Presidents as children. I especially loved a third lesson that Dwight Eisenhower learned about controlling his temper from his mother. She told him, as she put medicine on his knuckles from his punching a tree, "He that conquereth his own soul is greater than he who taketh a city." Now, I'm off to find out where that quote comes from. :)
When I'd find something amusing, I'd ask the girls if they remembered the story (they had read it about a year ago).
Claire Brown
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book that would be perfect for a upper elementary student that likes learning facts about the president. I’m left trying to figure out a bulletin board with the different things I learned from this book for my classroom.
Emily Brown
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this with my my kids (4&6) they were able to stay engaged for each chapter. This book focuses on unknown stories from the president’s childhoods that in turn shaped them into the men they were when they entered the presidency. Highly recommend! 👏🏻 ...more
Ashima
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-kids-books
we learned a lot!
Michelle Hernly
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We really enjoyed this book! My son absolutely loved it and wants to read the others in the series.
Evano
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very cool that they show how the future presidents were as kids. I find it funny how some were such bad kids and how some wished to become president. I liked the new information on each president. I wish that they had different stories on each president and not just a few.
H.W. Hoyt
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-books
This was fun. Read quite a few stories to my kids.
Ben Baker
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brilliant fun and great research if I ever get on Pointless!
Mary
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun and quick read about the presidents’ childhood and to learn about their prankster or bullied experiences.
Rissie
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Fun introduction to presidential history. Also, a good reminder that even the ones we don’t like are someone’s little boy.
Julie
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My 4th graders have been reading through this series passing the books from student to student to student. So I decided I need to start reading and it was a great book with fun illustrations!
Charity Nicosia
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kids really enjoyed it. Fun tidbits about presidents as children. Not controversial or party biased.
Anh Tú
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
For a relaxing read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Posted
  • Just Jaime
  • It All Comes Down to This
  • Hello, San Francisco!
  • Ginger Pye (The Pyes, #1)
  • How to Fight Presidents: Defending Yourself Against the Badasses Who Ran This Country
  • Poe: Stories and Poems: A Graphic Novel Adaptation
  • Sting (Loot #2)
  • Dumpty: The Age of Trump in Verse (Dumpty, #1)
  • Jack: The True Story of Jack and the Beanstalk
  • A Storm Too Soon: A Remarkable True Survival Story in 80 Foot Seas (True Storm Rescues)
  • Voyage on the Great Titanic: The Diary of Margaret Ann Brady, R.M.S. Titanic, 1912 (Dear America)
  • Jack's Run (Zach's Lie, #2)
  • The Secret Language of Sisters

Kid Legends (5 books)
  • Kid Athletes: True Tales of Childhood from Sports Legends
  • Kid Artists: True Tales of Childhood from Creative Legends
  • Kid Authors: True Tales of Childhood from Great Writers
  • Kid Scientists: True Tales of Childhood from Science Superstars (Kid Legends)