Start by marking “Killing Sound” as Want to Read:
Killing Sound

Killing Sound

Published September 4th 2014 by Chicken House Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Killing Sound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing Sound

Fi
When I was contacted about reviewing Killing Sound I didn't know anything about it apart from the fact that I vaguely recognised the author's name. Turns out I did but not because I'd read something he'd written! Paul Southern used to be in a band back in the 1990's so I've obviously come across his name somewhere before.

Killing Sound might just be my favorite book of the year, it's a YA paranormal horror thriller which combined together have led to some fantastic books over the years and this i
Vee ♔WitchStitchWhich♔
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a brutal, bloody read that will grab you from it's first page. I was hooked within the first couple of chapters where a father comes home, looking to prove that his experiment does indeed work. A few hours later and all that's left is are bloody remains and a small, screaming child. Killing Sound knows it's for the YA market, but doesn't once let up on it's descriptive blood and gore.

It was interesting watching Jodie try and cope in her world - she's getting followed by some pretty crazy
Josie
Nov 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
I read a review of this which described it as a "sophisticated YA horror with an amazing twist" and all I can think is that the definition of sophisticated must have changed when I wasn't looking. Given that this is aimed at older teens, the writing is absurdly childlike:

"She got up and walked straight into a damp patch on the floor. Her feet recoiled. She noticed the water on the dressing table. It had watermarked her revision notes. She groaned. She looked in her mirror and wiped the brown fri
Michelle
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I first heard about Killing Sound I knew I had to read it. The synopsis really caught my attention, it sounded like the perfect mix of mystery, paranormal, and just plain crazy. The first we get to see of what is going in is very vague, but also gruesome, and I had to keep reading.

Jodie lives with Aunt Gene after her parents died in mysterious circumstances when she was younger. Now older, strange things are happening to Jodie, and she thinks it's related to her dad's old papers she found i
Emma
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guest-reviews
REVIEW BY OLIVER 8:5

Killing Sound is about a girl named Jodie, who is almost eighteen years old. When she was little, she saw something horrible – something that she managed to block out of her mind. However, the memories came back haunting her; she had to stop them, while also trying to uncover the truth about her parents’ death twelve years before.

For me, the best part of the story was when Jodie found out what actually happened to her parents (nobody knew how they were killed and Jodie had to
John
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book for an honest review.

Killing Sound is Paul Southern’s third novel, his first for YA horror readers after writing two gritty books for adults. It mixes fringe science with the supernatural, delivering a creepy, disturbing story about a teenage girl called Jodie, whose parents died in a mysterious, gruesome science experiment when she was only five-years-old.

Twelve years later, Jodie remembers little about what happened to her parents, believing they died in a car ac
Sally
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ghost-stories, horror, ya
This was a plot twisting thriller of a horror. I could not have asked for more.

The opening sets up Jodie being witness to an horrendous supernatural event that slays her parents and leaves her in a blood soaked room with nothing left of them but their heads... If that doesn't grip you nothing will!

The thread of discovering that infra-sound (low frequency) sound waves are related to sightings of ghosts is a unique one in horror that I've read. I've actually seen something about this on some ghost
ClaireEva
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I am really torn on what to rate this book.
There were times when I just couldn't get into it and thought I would rate it two stars. There were then times when I couldn't put it down and thought perhaps four stars if it keeps getting better.
Unfortunately, for me anyways, the story kind of just stopped. Perhaps I missed something that was supposed to make the ending epic but I was just left with questions about the plot that didn't make sense.
Overall it was a good read hence the three stars but I
Jody
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I found this book very nice. I enjoyed the cover, I thought it was very creative and something that I would very much love to read. I was not disappointed. I enjoyed the difference between Jodie and Luca, Trent and Laura was something of a mystery and Kamran was a nice character. I found the life-style between Aunt Gene and Jodie intriguing. I would definitely read another peace of writing by Paul Southern, especially if it was something to do with Killing Sound. The pages was so well-written I ...more
BooksAndRae
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Killing sound by Paul Southern is a spine thrilling book based on supernatural events that take place throughout Jodie's life.

When events happen later on in her life and she finds out information on her parents that she's never known before she takes it upon herself to find what her Father was searching for all those years ago, but the question is, at what cost?

Rated 4/5, really suspenseful, didn't want to stop reading!
Adele Broadbent
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
The cover looked great, the blurb looked promising, the idea of paranormal and sound waves being connected sounded interesting.....
But, it all just seemed to be meh. Blah. Just OK.
I never felt really connected to the characters. They promised things that never came. The goths Laura and Trent were interesting but their relationship and hatred of Jodie seemed a little disjointed. The dream scenes were well written but a little overdone.
Bit disappointed. :(
Lauren
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: always-favourite
I haven't read a book as gripping as this in a LONG time. The ending was rather underwhelming and has left me with so many questions still unanswered though so PLEASE can there be a sequel???
Mazmum
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Book Review - Killing Sound by Paul Southern - 4 original, educational and absorbing stars

Killing Sound took me a little out of my comfort zone. Whilst in the past, i’ve read quite a lot of paranormal books, horror and thrillers, this book is like those rolled together and bound by giving you an education along the way.

Jodie isn’t your typical teen. Although at first glance she might appear to be, there is a secret in Jodie’s past that she discovers along the way that changes her idea of who she
Megan
3.5* Review from www.readingawaythedays.blogspot.co.uk

Killing Sound by Paul Southern was out of my book comfort zone. It is not my usual type of read, far from it, with it's eerie premise and strange happenings. I wasn't sure what I was going to think of Killing Sound.

The book started of really interesting and I was hooked. The premise of the story is unique and it has a creepy atmosphere that gradually intensified as the story continued. I really liked Paul Southern's style of writing it was s
Luna
3.5 Stars

The beginning of Killing Sound is brilliant. Those first few chapters are haunting and so vivid. The moment the police find her parents, all that was missing was the feeling of something crawling along my skin.

The horror of Killing Sound I enjoyed a lot. You have the creepy spine-tingly moments of scratching noises and moving shadows. Then there are high adrenaline run for your life parts. Both are descriptive, particularly the slow-building scenes work at setting up the atmosphere.

Jodi
Kendra
Jun 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Jodie is cursed with a terrible gift. She just doesn't know it yet. When she stumbles across one of her dead father's old papers on sound waves in the attic, it sets her on a terrifying journey to find out more, leading her across the streets of London to the dark, untrodden tunnels of the Underground, where she is forced to face the truth. Her worst nightmare is about to become real. Worse, she can hear it coming.
Dania
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Reading it was a waste of time
Shira
Elipeters2003
Feb 08, 2016
Cool Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Following an induced labour some time in the 1960s (due date: Halloween night), I had my subscription to a normal life revoked by itinerant parents, who moved from city to city. Lived in Liverpool, Belfast, London and Leeds, then escaped to university, where I nearly died of a brain haemorrhage. After an unexpected recovery, formed an underground indie group (Sexus). Met the lead singer through st ...more