Start by marking “I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers” as Want to Read:
I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers

I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  1,260 Ratings  ·  288 Reviews
It was 1995 when the Fort Worth Star-Telegram assigned Tim Madigan to write a profile of Fred Rogers. This fortuitous interview sparked a magnificent friendship between the two, one that would see both men through periods of grief as well as the hope of new beginnings. I’m Proud of You is the story of this friendship and of the enduring legacy left to us all by Fred Rogers ...more
Published August 8th 2006 by Gotham

To ask other readers questions about I'm Proud of You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Proud of You

Tim Madigan
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I think it's great, but I'm biased. I wrote it.
Jason Koivu
Within seconds I was tearing up.

Let's make sure we're clear right off the bat. I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers is not strictly about Mr. Rogers, but rather about how Rogers helped Tim Madigan through rough times, specifically Madigan's marriage, coming to grips with his relationship with his father, and his brother's life-threatening illness.

And to further clear up matters, I want you to know that I think this book is awesome. Yeah, it made me weepy throughout and yeah, it wasn
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book found me at the right time in my life. I was struggling with being a stay-at-home mom to a child with special needs. I started sobbing from the first sentence all the way to the last. It is a beautiful story about two very special people. Mr. Rogers's attitude toward life helped pull me out of my dark tunnel and learn to be grateful for all the beauty around me. Whenever I am feeling especially beaten down by my life, I reread this book for a while and I feel much better.

I always loved
Evelyn FIGEROID
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was not the light-weight little book I expected. It was profoundly moving. It shows so much of what made Mr. Rogers such a special human being. He knew how to connect with other people in a meaniful, life changing way. The book contains many notes exchanged between the author and Mr.
Rogers. These notes cover many topics such as friendship and love, faith, recovery, and loss and grief. The author discusses honestly his marriage, his relationship with his father, and the death of his brother
Dean Anderson
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever heard anyone say, "It's not very good, but I think kids will like it"? It might be a book, a play, a TV show or a movie. Perhaps you've said it. Because, you know, the kids haven't seen Citizen Kane, so they'll be satisfied with Prince Puppy Pooper V. As long as there are bright colors and loud sounds, they'll like it, right?
Kids' entertainment is assumed to be a few rungs down on the quality scale, and it's assumed that those who produce entertainment for kids just couldn't cut i
Ron
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is a mixed bag. People who love the book - please remember my experience doesn't need to take away from yours. Not in the least. I'm happy for everyone who gained connection, understanding, and emotional growth in their reading - and I, like you (probably), want to grow in my experience of connection and brotherhood with my fellow human beings.

I found it to be a worthwhile read, as I'm fascinated by Fred Rogers and his legacy - and I value the push for men to become more open and famil
Scott Southard
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I guess I wanted this book to be something different than what it was. I wanted to learn about Mr. Rogers but we are given very little of his biography here (nothing on his inspiration on his show), save what we see through the author's eyes (we don't even get the original article the author wrote on Rogers). That is fine, but different than the book I was hoping for. I can't grade the book based on my wants!

So why 2 stars? Because if Tim is the main character, why is his perception so limited
Rachel Bird
Jul 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
When I bought this I didn't know Fred Rogers was Mr. Rogers from Mr. Rogers' Neighbhorhood. I didn't know anything about Mr. Rogers except that my mom couldn't stand his show and that there was a rumor going around that he'd had a dishonorable discharge from the military. I wish I'd known sooner what a beautiful human being he was.

Tim Madigan is a journalist who had the good fortune of interviewing Mr. Rogers years ago. That interview blossomed into a lifelong friendship. There is little more be
Crizzle
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Obligatory 5 stars for a book about Mr. Rogers, especially during the time we're living in currently... everyone needs a little more Mr. Rogers in their lives. Actually, this wasn't so much about Mr. Rogers as it was about the author's 7 year friendship with him during the hardest times of his life in the 1990s, and how Fred helped him letter by letter, email by email, phone call by phone call. We get to see what it's like to have a friendship with Mister Rogers, just like in the book I read abo ...more
Stacy
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. That said, I think that Madigan was a little self-indulgent, and one large chunk of the book really doesn't involve Fred Rogers much at all.
It is Tim Madigan's memoir as his life intersected with Fred Rogers.
That's okay, but I was much more interested in his insights into Rogers than his self reflection.

If anyone does know of a suitable (and available) biography of Fred Rogers, I would love to read it. My daughter wanted to do him for a book report on a person who made an
beanie
Jan 03, 2008 rated it liked it
A moving account of the impact of encouragement in friendship. We should hope to have at least one friendship like this. Be prepared with tissues.
Phayvanh
Jan 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: spiritual seekers
As a kid, I never enjoyed the Mr. Rogers show. It moved too slowly and wasn't exciting enough--too goody-goody. Which is too bad, because as an adult, I know how important it is for children to watch nourishing television more than mindless drivel (ditto for adults, too).

I found this at my neighborhood bookstore and was rapt within the first few paragraphs of the page I was reading, so wrought with emotion, I practically cried while standing there "browsing". I was little embarrassed by it and d
Cindy
This was such a lovely story. I, like the author, was a bit too old to be influenced by Mister Rogers as a child - Captain Kangaroo was the 50s equivalent for me - but came to know and love him as my girls watched this gentle man and his neighborhood. This was a world where it was okay to be scared or mad or lonely, where a gentle man could look into your eyes and say that you were loved because you were you. So it came as no surprise to me that Mister Rogers was this same guy in real life, that ...more
Laurann
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Mister Rogers and this uplifting book tells so much about the man he was. Through author Tim Madigan's eyes we see what it was like to say that Mister Rogers was your friend. He was so kind and loving and helped the author get through devastating times. I loved it.
David
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A few weeks ago I found a website that listed Mr. Rogers facts. They were intersting and fascinating, and the more of these little snippets I learned about the guy, the more I wanted to know about him.

I went looking for a Mr. Rogers Biography, but didn't have any luck. I did find this book though, a memoir of a guy's friendship with Mr. Rogers. The memoir seems to paint an honest and touching portrait of the person, to the extent that it is hard not to feel a little bit jealous that you didn't g
Annicka Borges
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I would have really liked to give this book 5 stars, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
I have been enamored with Mr. Rogers since childhood, I used to watch his show, and have spent much of my adult life learning about him as a person.
This was an insightful look into the kind of man he was: kind, gentle, thoughful, and considered everyone his friend. It gave a fairly decent picture of who Fred Rogers is.
That being said, while I can appreciate the spiritual journey the author travelled,
Lucille Zimmerman
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My friend Becky recommended this to me. I trust her word because she is an author of over 40 books herself. Plus we share the same taste in books.
I almost didn't buy this but then got the audio version off of Amazon.

I drove around for weeks, listening, and dabbing my eyes. I had no idea this is what Mister Rogers was really like. By the time you finish the reader understands why some put Mister Rogers in the category of saint.

No other book has come close to describing the healing experience I
Kym
Jan 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Became a big fan of Mr. Rogers once I was older, I remember tearing up when he died because my friends' kids would not have the opportunity to know him! Found it at school and grabbed it, have not put it down for long so far....

My house is a mess, and I am out of tissues, but I finished the book and am glad. I have always valued the friends God has put in my life, this book is a testimony to the value of good friends. Although the beginning did not seem to "flow" well, it all came together in a
Elsa
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
Very mixed feelings on this one. This is a sweet book about a precious friendship, but in some ways it felt empty to me. I wish the author had explored Mr. Rogers's motivations more. Namely, I really wanted to know if Mr. Rogers ever spoke about sin, repentance, and salvation. Obviously, he was great at extending grace to everyone he met, but I would have thought an ordained minister would touch on Christ's saving work at some point, and it seems even stranger that the topic is absent from such ...more
Saralyn
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I always felt an affinity to Mr. Rogers. I loved his show as a kid. I loved it as an adult. When I saw this book, I was interested to see what it would be about.

Tim Madigan has written a moving memoir about his friendship with Mr. Rogers. I feel grateful to Mr. Madigan for his candid portrayal of their friendship and his willingness to share such personal feelings. It's also wonderful to know that a child's belief in Mr. Rogers is not misplaced, but even rather inadequate. May we all have such h
Chrystal
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm not surprised to find out that in his personal life, Fred Rogers was just as kind, gentle, and caring as he appears on his Mister Rogers show. His lack of guile and genuine love for people demonstrate that he truly understood what Jesus meant by "love thy neighbor." Tim Madigan has written a heart-felt tribute to his friend Mister Rogers, a very special man who continues to touch the lives of children and parents even today.
Fred
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely book, insightful, not just about the amazing Fred Rogers, but also about the author, who was befriended and in the process, healed by Fred's amazing kindess and generosity of spirit. That shines through, as does the author's journalistic skill at evoking one of the true legends of the twentieth century.
Stephanie
Mar 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: men
Recommended to Stephanie by: one book one community selection for 2008
I did not fly through this book as I did last year's one book one community selection. I found the book easy to put down and hard to pick back up, but, BUT once I did pick it back up I enjoyed it. I think this years selection will be a good book for men to read. It is about male friendship and support.

I have always loved Mr. Rogers and now I feel I know him just a bit better.
Dave
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Dave by: Jeff Shepherd
WOW! What a tremendously uplifting book!! And what an other-focused person Fred Rogers was!!! We all need a "Fred Rogers" in our lives, but I also realize I should be a "Fred" to those around me. I definitely need to change my mindset and start genuinely offering "IPOY" to others.
Cary
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this in one sitting. I was not a fan of Tuesdays with Morrie (of which this book is compared to), but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I finished feeling inspired by Fred Rogers' life and character. This is an excellent read for anyone!
Tom
If anything, Mr Rogers was even more compassionate off the air. A touching memoir that really excels in its depictions of caring human relationships in the face of grief and loss. As a bonus, I didn't know Mr Rogers was close with Henri Nouwen, one of my favorite spiritual writers.
Lezlee
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
A wonderful sweet story, I enjoyed the new perspective on Mr. Rogers and the way the two men supported each other in life and death.
Shuwen Yin
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
My first book with many prayers and the love of God in it. I think I gained an understanding.
Laura Grow-Nyberg
A little self-serving, and really poorly proofread and formatted, but overall a lovely story.
Milan Homola
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great little book. I definitely got a great sense that Mr. Rogers was a truly amazing person. He loved well because he knew he was loved. That is a journey I want more than any other.
Madison Mega-Mara...: I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers (5) 1 4 Jan 09, 2013 06:19AM
  • The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers: Spiritual Insights from the World's Most Beloved Neighbor
  • Life's Journeys According to Mister Rogers: Things to Remember Along the Way
  • Father Knows Less Or: "Can I Cook My Sister?": One Dad's Quest to Answer His Son's Most Baffling Questions
  • Secret Thoughts of an Adoptive Mother
  • When Katie Wakes
  • Comeback
  • To Our Children's Children: Preserving Family Histories for Generations to Come
  • My Goodness: A Cynic's Short-Lived Search for Sainthood
  • A Lifetime of Wisdom: Embracing the Way God Heals You
  • Our Greatest Gift: A Meditation on Dying and Caring
  • Mortified 2: Love is a Battlefield
  • Enjoying Where You Are on the Way to Where You Are Going: Learning How to Live a Joyful Spirit-Led Life
  • Wives of the Signers: The Women Behind the Declaration of Independence
  • Keep Moving: And Other Truths About Living Well Longer
  • Limbo
  • In the Slender Margin: The Intimate Strangeness of Dying
  • The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch): Lessons from a Life in Feathers
  • Faith and Politics: How the "Moral Values" Debate Divides America and How to Move Forward Together
Tim wrote his first book in 1968 when he was eleven years old. Every week in the autumn of that year, he scribbled down his account of the latest University of Minnesota football game in a notebook. Sales were modest.

But a love of books, words and writing never left released him, leading from his small-town Minnesota upbringing to a career writing newspaper stories and eventually books that were m
More about Tim Madigan...
“But the Esquire passage I found most poignant and revealing was this one: Mister Rogers' visit to a teenage boy severely afflicted with cerebral palsy and terrible anger. One of the boys' few consolations in life, Junod wrote, was watching Mister Rogers Neighborhood.

'At first, the boy was made very nervous by the thought that Mister Rogers was visiting him. He was so nervous, in fact, that when Mister Rogers did visit, he got mad at himself and began hating himself and hitting himself, and his mother had to take him to another room and talk to him. Mister Rogers didn't leave, though. He wanted something from the boy, and Mister Rogers never leaves when he wants something from somebody. He just waited patiently, and when the boy came back, Mister Rogers talked to him, and then he made his request. He said, 'I would like you to do something for me. Would you do something for me?' On his computer, the boy answered yes, of course, he would do anything for Mister Rogers, so then Mister Rogers said: I would like you to pray for me. Will you pray for me?' And now the boy didn't know how to respond. He was thunderstruck... because nobody had ever asked him for something like that, ever. The boy had always been prayed for. The boy had always been the object of prayer, and now he was being asked to pray for Mister Rogers, and although at first he didn't know how to do it, he said he would, he said he'd try, and ever since then he keeps Mister Rogers in his prayers and doesn't talk about wanting to die anymore, because he figures if Mister Rogers likes him, that must mean that God likes him, too.

As for Mister Rogers himself... he doesn't look at the story the same way the boy did or I did. In fact, when Mister Rogers first told me the story, I complimented him on being smart - for knowing that asking the boy for his prayers would make the boy feel better about himself - and Mister Rogers responded by looking at me first with puzzlement and then with surprise. 'Oh heavens no, Tom! I didn't ask him for his prayers for him; I asked for me. I asked him because I think that anyone who has gone through challenges like that must be very close to God. I asked him because I wanted his intercession.”
7 likes