Start by marking “Five Glass Slippers” as Want to Read:
Five Glass Slippers

Five Glass Slippers

A Collection to Cherish

What happens when Cinderella is so painfully shy that she cannot bear the idea of attending the royal ball? Or when the slipper fits . . . but on the wrong girl? What happens when Cinderella is determined to oust an imposter prince from her rightful throne? Or when she is a cendrillon miner working from a space station orbiting a cthonian planet? Wha
Published June 2014 by Rooglewood Press

To ask other readers questions about Five Glass Slippers, please sign up.
Serethiel ☽ ✨ Not directly (as I recall), but there are definitely some Christian themes! I don't remember any upfront allegories or allusions to God, but there are…moreNot directly (as I recall), but there are definitely some Christian themes! I don't remember any upfront allegories or allusions to God, but there are still plenty of tales of courage, heroism, and sacrifice to go around! And it is published by a clean/Christian press. Hope that helps! :)(less)
Anne Stengl This book is almost always on a Goodreads giveaway. Usually when one finishes, another starts up a few days later.

Amber Stokes
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amber-s-kindle
Five Glass Slippers deserves five shining stars for its presentation and for the creativity found within the collection. Not that the stories are all completely different in terms of genre...four of them are fantasy-esque or more classically fairy-tale, while one is a sci-fi. But each story contains such unique personalities and delicious writing, thereby making this a sweet read indeed for fans of Cinderella!

What Eyes Can See by Elisabeth Brown: This first novella contains many familiar element
Allison Ruvidich
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is where I make a fairytale pun about how this collection is 'magical' or 'enchanting'. I can't think of anything clever right now, so do me a favor and pretend like I did.

What Eyes Can See:

Pros- Easily the most classical story in the collection, What Eyes Can See enchanted me with its perspectives on love at first sight. But equally lovely was what was not said. Am I alone in thinking that the unnamed fourth woman on Frederick's list of possible brides was the other stepsister, Anastasia?

C
Rina
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love fairy tale retellings and this was a delightful collection of five versions of Cinderella. Last year author Anne Elisabeth Stengl hosted a writing contest and the result was this book. Just this week the fairy tale for the next Rogglewood Press writing contest was announced. And if the quality of the Cinderella stories is anything to go by Five Enchanted Roses will be a fabulous collection as well.

My Reaction: How fun! I do like the twist that the steps
H.S.J. Williams
I've been waiting for this collection a long time!!! And what a wonderful fulfillment. Each author's writing takes you off on a tale so original and still so Cinderella. There is truly great talent displayed here. It is incredible to see each unique and beautiful voice tell the tale in their own special way, with their own special twist. Each story is a gem to be treasured, shining in the crown of their authorhood!

What Eyes Can See by Elisabeth Brown:
I enjoyed how the stepmother and stepsisters
Marquise
It's good that I didn't start with this Rooglewood Press anthology first, because I'd probably have been left with an impression that would've kept me from picking up their two other fairy tale retelling anthologies. The other two became personal all-time favourites, but this one unfortunately did not.

That Cinderella was never a tale I cared much about, or liked in particular, has a bit to do with my reaction, I should admit. In fact, the only times I've liked this tale was in artbook adaptation
Shantelle
Goodness, what a passel of incredible authors! I was surprised and delighted again and again by their imagination, cleverness, humor, thoughtfulness, and skill. These are definitely not Cinderella retellings to be missed!
Five Glass Slippers is a collection of five stupendous retellings of the heartwarming fairytale of Cinderella, below is a synopsis of each.

What Eyes Can See by Elisabeth Brown. The Prince falls for shy, secretive Arella, but she refuses to return his most ardent attentions. Pri
Tracey
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The short version: three terrible stories, one very good one, one pretty good one - averaging about 2.5 stars. Rounded up.

This is a collection of – in case it's not obvious – five stories inspired by or riffing on Cinderella. Usually a collection of stories, whether by one author or several, is hit or miss… unfortunately, this one is pretty much "miss". Well, no – four-fifths miss. I did really enjoy #4.

What Eyes Can See – Elisabeth Brown – "the romance of this collection". "delicate writing st
Ashlee Willis
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
*This is a review of one of the five stories in Five Glass Slippers. The story reviewed is by Clara Diane Thompson, titled "The Moon Master's Ball."*

Oh, my ... what can I say about this story? It was full of whimsy, mystery, adventure, fantasy, and just a touch of romance. Is there anything more you could possibly want in a fairy tale or a fairy tale retelling?

The author has a lovely, sweetly simple voice and style, and a perfect sense of timing. There were enough things going on in the beginnin
Rosalie
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
First things first: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. “What is this book?” you may ask. I’m glad you asked! It is Five Glass Slippers which is a collection of five retellings of the Cinderella story by Elisabeth Brown, Emma Clifton, Rachel Heffington, Stephanie Ricker, and Clara Diane Thompson.
What Eyes Can See by Elisabeth Brown
“Drusilla watched the stepsisters exchange tense glances. The two were as different as light and shadow: Anastasia vivacious, spark
Christine Smith
[Review originally posted on Musings of an Elf]

Five Glass Slippers is Rooglewood Press's first fairytale collection, and a beautiful one at that! A couple years ago they set up a contest for anyone to enter a 5k to 20k word Cinderella retelling and chose five of the many entries to put into this one collection. The five girls chosen were picked with good reason, each of the stories taking the original tale of Cinderella and turning it into something new and different and wonderful.

What Eyes Can
Squeaks
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Five Glass Slippers is a collection of Cinderella-esque stories written by young authors from all over the place - several of these ladies have never before been published! I received an e-copy of the book in exchange for my honest review - so here we go :)

Despite my excitement, I was a little hesitant about reading some of these stories, simply because I knew all the submissions had been for a contest and (as I mentioned) some of the authors had never been published. However, by the time I fini
Lin
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: retellings
This was my first retelling of a fairy tale. In general I liked the book. All the five versions were different and I was not bored by reading the same story line all over again.
Maybe I expected more intrigue, maybe some funny situations and depth. In my experience the most stories were flat. The last one kept my attention till the end. The writing was good. I enjoyed the story. I hesitated between 3 an 4 stars.
The Book Queen
Jul 24, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: hand-it-over-now
This looks AMAZING. I don't normally read novellas, but all of these look so good!
Madeline J. Rose
Original review on my blog:

INITIAL RESPONSE
I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH FOR REAL.

I'll review each story separately, because I have SO MANY FEELINGS on all of them...

WHAT EYES CAN SEE
Initial Response
*squeals* So. stinkin'. ADORABLE.

Painfully shy Arella begs her stepmother to let her stay home from the prince’s ball. But kindly Duchess Germaine is determined that her beautiful stepdaughter should be presented at court along with her own two daughters. So, dressed in a gorgeous gown and a pair
Hannah
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Most story collections I read get a 3 star, particularly if the stories are all by different authors. This collection, like most collections, was a mixed bag.
The best stories were the last two. The sci-fi one and The Moon Master's Ball.
The worst stories were the first one by Elisabeth Brown and the third one by Rachel Heffington.
The second story was kind of in the middle. Good, but not great.

The first story was basically what would happen if Wives and Daughters mixed up with Disney's Cinderell
Elisabeth
I'd been looking forward to reading this collection for some time now—but considering that it was an anthology by five different writers, most of whom I'd never read before, I didn't know what to expect until I began it. I was not disappointed! I was charmed and amazed by how these five authors each managed to produce a different twist on the familiar and beloved tale of Cinderella, every one entirely in their own style.

"What Eyes Can See" by Elisabeth Brown follows the traditional tale most clo
Samantha Lisk
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review is for "A Cinder's Tale" by Stephanie Ricker, who asked me to review the story.

The tale of Cinderella is hundreds of years old now, and few who live in the western world are unfamiliar with at least a sanitized version of it (thanks, Disney!). How, then, is it possible to put an original spin on it? The answer, according to Ricker, is to pick the characters up and plop them down in space.

That's right: Cinderella in space. In this way, and also by altering the basic situations of the
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Five Glass Slippers from Rogglewood Press is a delightful mix of five Cinderella stories. Gleaned from a contest that took place in the second half of 2013.
And the winning titles are:
WHAT EYES CAN SEE by Elizabeth Brown
BROKEN GLASS by Emma Clifton
THE WINDY SIDE OF CARE by Rachel Heffington
A CINDER’S TALE by Stephanie Ricker
THE MOON MASTER’S BALL by Clara Diane Thompson

With stories as varied as their titles the Cinderella thread can be found throughout each story whether the story takes plac
Rachelle Cobb
What I Loved

Told with the signature style I've come to expect from Rachel Heffington, The Windy Side of Care retells Cinderella in a delightfully whimsical way. Quirky. Plucky. Funny. Endearing. Alis is all of these--and she is bent on reclaiming the throne she knows is rightfully hers.

So what does she do with the prince who currently claims her royal status? Fall in love with him and include him in her plotting, of course. (I so want to remark on some of the things they plot, but I'll refrain i
Teisha Priest
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful collection of retellings of the classic fairy tale Cinderella! Five Glass Slippers really does have something for everyone!

Being a sci fi fan, I'd have to say that A Cinder's Tale was my favorite. But truthfully, I enjoyed reading all five stories. Even the genres that i don't normally read were so intriguing and well-written, that I couldn't put it down!

This book is one of the rare titles that adults and teens will both enjoy. I love finding great books that are also appropriate readi
Sierra Faith
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

I loved this book! The stories were all so good! Though my favorite would have to be the last one... I love Anne's idea for these books! Excited for the next one:) would recommend to anyone who likes fairytales, romance, and books
Deborah O'Carroll
Please note: I am rating this overall 5 stars because there was one PERFECT story and one so close to perfect that for the sake of not doing half-stars I'm going to call a 5 star as well. The rest of the stories I rate two 4's and one 3. So the average rating of the collection ought to be about 4 stars. But I'm saying it's 5 for the sake of the two I loved most.

WHAT EYES CAN SEE - Elisabeth Brown

My Rating: 3 stars

This was certainly enjoyable, and had some different twists, so the idea was fine b
Clare Farrelly
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
For the first book: The ending made the story. The whole story was fairly good, with a few cool differentiations from the original tale. Like the stepmother and some things about the 'Cinderella' character. My biggest problem was I did not care about 'Cinderella' in the end that was okay because of how the story turned out. I really liked how it showed so truly actions real people would take, the characters were all quite real. I really enjoyed the story, but can't say much more because spoilers ...more
Emily Chapman
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm cheating. I have not completely finished this book yet, but as it may be awhile before I read the last story, I'm going to jump in with a fib tipped to Goodreads and merely state I've read it. All that said, here's my two cents on the book.

WHAT EYES CAN SEE // 3 STARS

This is a sweet story, but the plot seemed a little incoherent to me. I had difficulties understanding who was the main character (and then began to wonder if there was a main character). However, it is a sweet little tale with
Sarah9_23
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fairy tales were always my go-to bedtime stories. Even as an adult, Cinderella is a story that has remained dear to me. I've read many different versions from different cultures of Cinderella. So I came to this collection hoping to find stories that were fresh and interesting, without being untrue to the Cinderella lore. I wasn't disappointed! Each story was surprising and unique!

What Eyes Can See- A shy Cinderella who doesn't want to be the center of anyone's attention, much less the crown prin
Jenelle
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I reviewed each of these stories separately, and am pasting them all here.

WHAT EYES CAN SEE
What happens when Cinderella is so painfully shy that she cannot bear the idea of attending a royal ball?
What Eyes Can See is a truly sweet re-telling of the classic Cinderella story, with a few little surprising twists. Arella, the main character of the story does indeed live with her stepfamily, none of whom are evil. The stepmother is doing her best to raise her three daughters and introduce them into s
Aleena
I have a tendency to stay away from anthologies and short stories because you never know what you're going to get. But I rather liked the idea of five different retellings of the same classic tale, and I was promised a dark, circus-themed retelling at the end, (forever my weakness) so I picked it up.
As always, in an anthology, you get a bit of a mixed bag.

The first story, What Eyes Can See by Elisabeth Brown, was, in my opinion, the weakest. Out of the five, this one stays true to the sugary swe
Stephanie
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Five Glass Slippers is a collection of short stories all themed around Cinderella. . Each story differs from the other ones, but contains the core elements of a Cinderella story: a girl, a generous benefactor or fairy godmother, glass slippers, a ball, and a prince.

Of the five stories, I really enjoyed two: “A Cinder’s Tale” and “The Moon Master’s Ball”, In a Cinder’s Tale, Elsa is a space miner, mining cendrillon from a gas giant. She’s been a miner for years for the high pay and the ability to
Hayden
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
First of all, before I say I anything else, I'm going to go ahead and tell you that I think this is the best novella collection I've ever read. Collections by different authors are always going to get mixed reviews, and while there were some stories here I liked more than others, I can honestly say that they all had something to offer that makes each one worth reading.

What Eyes Can See by Elisabeth Brown

Now, I've heard complaints about Cinderella's character in this story, pointing out that she'
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 25, 2015 10:12AM
  • Five Enchanted Roses
  • Five Magic Spindles
  • Once: Six Historically Inspired Fairytales
  • Rose of the Oath: A Beauty and the Beast Novella (Legends of Light # 1)
  • A Dream Not Imagined
  • The Rose and the Briar (Faraway Castle, #3)
  • The Beast of Talesend (Beaumont and Beasley, #1)
  • The Wulver's Rose
  • The Battle of Castle Nebula (The Cendrillon Cycle, #1)
  • The Seahorse Legacy (Eyes of E'veria #3)
  • Plenilune
  • Blood Ties (Modern Tales of Na Fianna #1)
  • The Crystal Heart
  • From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)
  • The Word Changers
“King Cygnus dozed in his chair, and a dark shadow curled up in the window seat. That dark shadow happened to have a name, which happened to be Darcy; but nobody really notices dark shadows, even named ones. They have a habit of lurking about. People learn to ignore them after a while.” 8 likes
“Rosalind exploded with a shriek worthy of a tea-kettle.” 8 likes