Start by marking “The Lion Triumphant (Daughters of England, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Lion Triumphant (Daughters of England, #2)

The Lion Triumphant

(Daughters of England #2)

Catharine Kingsman
The Lion Triumphant follows The Miracle at St Bruno's with Catharine, the daughter of Damask, growing up in the new Elizabethan age -- one of the most eventful in English history because of the struggle for power between two mighty rivals had begun.

Catharine, smarting from the bitter blow which deprived her of her lover, meets the lusty sea Captain Jake P
Published February 3rd 1975 by HarperCollins Distribution Services (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Lion Triumphant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lion Triumphant

Jaimey
Spectacular! I loved this book but I have to say it is not a light read by any means. The story is intense and honestly, not all that romantic. In fact, don't read this if you're looking for romance. The hero is definitely more of an anti-hero and he doesn't change. This story is too realistic to be romantic...
Celeste Batchelor
Jul 13, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didnt-finish
Jeannie Lee
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've got to admit, when I first read this book, I hated it! But it stayed with me. I kept thinking about it....I STILL think about it. So, I read it again. Older, wiser, more worldly me finally understood the heroine. And the unlikely male leads in the book, as well. The sea captain made me so angry so many times, I was almost frothing at the mouth! My husband would laugh and say, "quit reading it!" Which I really couldn't. Usually the lead men in books have a soft side to them, a gentle side th ...more
Judi Rogers
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As she always did, Phillipa Carr triumphed along with England.

If you love English history, Phillipa Carr, Victoria Holt Jean Plaidy are the one you need to read. She taught me all I know of English history and mystery
Empress5150
Sep 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this entire series when I was in high school. I clearly remember Book #1 as being pretty interesting, especially as it took place during the time of Henry VIII.

This second in the series, well, all I can say is, "What the ....?"

The time is now the beginning of Queen Elizabeth's reign. Cat, the daughter of Damask (the heroine from the first book) is bored and hanging out at her step-sister's digs. She wanders down to the boat dock and happens up Jake Pennlyon, who is conceited a
Joe
Jun 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Artemiz
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2013
What a wonderful story!

Starts as classic pirate romance novel – sailor who is ready to get what he wants and maiden who does not want the sailor. Almost like The Taming the Shrew. Even after the maiden is abducted, I still thought that it’s all part of the sailors plan, for taming his wife to be. That’s when the first twist comes into the story. The story is full of twist and turns, and the minute you think you know what will happen next, it might go that way or not.

It’s a story full of love an
Michelle (Champ)
I love this book. I love this series! Every year I read the Philippa Carr series (I have each one of the books). This one is full of things that happen. There is never a dull moment. Set back in Mary I (barely) and Elizabeth I reigns.

I will add to this one. This is a typical swashbuckling story of the ages. A pirate comes to town and changes everything. Sometimes I want to smack our heroine but then others I adore her!!!

This is the series that made me fall in love with reading.
Cphe
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
A swashbuckling seafaring romance during the time of Elizabeth1 when England was renowmed for her Navy and taking on the might of the Spanish Armada.

This is a very dated romance now and the hero Jake Pennylon left a lot to be desired in his actions and justifications for his pursuit of women and sons. No way could this be considered a PC romance. His long suffering wife Catherine certainly wasn't a pushover by any means and managed to hold her own.

Still it was an engaging romance with some excel
Karen Dempsey
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Phil Syphe
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this second novel in the “Daughters of England” series to be a vast improvement on the first. Where Book One was largely predictable and had too many slow sections, Book Two is of a much faster pace with a few surprising episodes that I didn’t see coming.

The varied conflicts, settings, and characters all gelled together to create an entertaining narrative. Didn’t think it so amazing that I should rate it five stars; however, it certainly deserves four.

Impressive.
Ada
Feb 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gothic-romance
I really enjoyed this book because it was exciting and held my interest from the first page. I enjoyed the main character's strong will. The book is set in the 1500's at the begining of Elizabeth III reign. It portrays a lot of the religious strife of the period and also delves into the Spanish inquisition.

I would probably rate it pg-pg13 because it does talk about unfaithfulness and mistresses.

"The Miracle at St Bruno's" is a prequel but I havn't read it yet.
Jo
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just could not deal with the rape and the Stockholm syndrome of the main character, Cat. She fell in love not once but twice her rapists. I know the book was written years ago and it takes place in a time when women had little choice, but it felt like I was supposed to be glad that she was content to marry men who sexually assaulted her. Just didn't work for me.
Becky
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A swashbuckling story of England when pirates raided Spanish galleons for gold to take back to Eliz.I.

Part of a series of mother to daughter generations stories telling the history of England from Henry VIII to WW II. Fabulous to read them all in order. Each one is a gem; each is surprising and well written.
Gary Branson
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am enjoying this series. The author does tend to repeat herself at times but this doesn't detract from the story itself. The first two books in the series are historical romances at all. Brutal and frank retelling of a too brutal period in history.
Ruth Vanderhart
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
I expected historical fiction and got gothic romance! I used to read these when I was 13 or 14. So it was a memory lane kind of experience. Kind of a ridiculous plot though--lots of lusty men and ravished women.
Donna
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels

Kidnapped by Spanish pirates, snatched back five years later by English pirates, threatened with torture from the Inquisition, charges of witchcraft, and nearly murdered by her own servant, Catharine's life is never short of excitement!
Emily
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 4-5-stars
Some things about this book were predictable, which almost made me not want to waste my time reading it. But I enjoyed the history that was interlaced in the story, and the main character is very relatable. There's really not much else to say about this book. It wasn't amazing, but it was good.
Jena Naylor
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Could have been a really great historical fiction if it focused more on the historical turmoil than rape.
Marie Burton
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Definitely lived up to my expectations. Great stuff.
Kellie Marnoch
Sep 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Heaped with crazysauce. Enjoyable in it's own way.
Janet
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was another one of those heroes I wasn't too enamored of, but the story is interesting and the other characters are, too. A little romance and intrigue are fun once in awhile.
Jo Golding
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Didn't drag quite so much as the first book at the end. Not so totally sure that I'd read again
Tammie Elliott
book two of the philippa carr series.
Ann
Feb 13, 2014 added it
Philippa Carr/Jean Plaidy/Victoria Hold can think of infinite ways to retell Jane Eyre
Lorna Gundaker
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves romance
I love the Daughters of England series by Phillips Carr. She does not disappoint!! I have read the first three books which follow the same seafaring family through generations of men of strong, enduring passions and equally strong women. These books are historical to the times and place the families into conceivable events. Unknowingly, I have read 2 or 3 of these sequential books out of contex because they were all the library had. The books are great enough to stand alone, but, now, thanks to ...more
Jodi
Good and satisfying read by Philippa Carr! I wanted to hate all the men in Cat's life but they all seemed to make her fall in love with them. I loved how fiercely she protected Carlos, Roberto, and Lillet! The fighting between England and Spain, and the Catholics and the Protestants made me sad.

On a side note, I have been to Plymouth, England and I love when I can picture the setting of a book in my mind because I have been there.
Trudy
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's only a romance series

I was about halfway through this one when I had to give up. The story was progressing into purely unbelievable territory, and I was noticing 21st century mores and political opinion sneaking in. I knew from experience it could only get worse, so I said adios to the book and the series.
Wendy Thomason
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another good read by Philippa car In the second series of the daughters of England. A fascinating read and full of historical facts.
Stacy
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I get being stuck in a situation, but love?

• The Judas Kiss
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more

Daughters of England (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Miracle at St. Bruno's (Daughters of England, #1)
  • The Witch from the Sea (Daughters of England, #3)
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • Lament for a Lost Lover (Daughters of England, #5)
  • The Love Child (Daughters of England #6)
  • The Song of the Siren (Daughters of England, #7)
  • Will You Love Me in September (Daughters of England, #8)
  • The Adulteress (Daughters of England, #9)
  • Knave of Hearts (Daughters of England, #10)
  • Voices in a Haunted Room (Daughters of England, #11)