Start by marking “True Story, Swear To God Archives Volume 1 (True Story, Swear to God (Graphic Novels))” as Want to Read:

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
One of the most acclained romance comics (six Eisner nominations) is collected in one huge tpb Napa Valley cartoonist Tom Beland meets the love of his life, Puerto Rican journalist Lily Garcia, at a bus stop in Disneyworld. Can a long-distance romance last and who will choose to leave their hometown to enter a new world with new challenges? All seventeen issues of Beland's ...more
Published June 10th 2008 by Image Comics

Be the first to ask a question about True Story, Swear To God Archives Volume 1 (True Story, Swear to God

Jan Philipzig
While reading this tome of a romance comic book, my mind occasionally started to wander - and then I'd suddenly find myself in some pub, listening to some lovestruck drunk dude sharing his new-found bliss... So yeah, things get a little obvious and tiresome in places. After all, there is only so much you want to know about fate and destiny and all that. Just when I was ready to throw in the towel, though, something strange happened: I started to genuinely care about the characters - true story, ...more
Caitlin
Apr 24, 2009 rated it did not like it
i didn't think it was possible to read a comic book as bad as vamps but i was wrong. vamps was a million times better. the story is so boring that i can't believe i actually finished it. i hate tom deland and his autobiographical piece of shit comic.
Giddy Girlie
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Ryan got a copy of this book from work and read almost the entire thing in one sitting and recommended it to me. I, in turn, read it almost in one sitting. It's a sweet love story that is well balanced with the "dude perspective." It's a wonderful tale of meeting your soul mate, but with plenty of F bombs and beer drinking. A very good balance.

This is right up there with "Blankets" as a great example of what can be done with the comic medium.
Sheri S.
Jun 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a fun book to read and I appreciated the artwork! The story line is interesting and the characters are well developed. I'm not all that familiar with comic books but it reminded me of the old Archie Bunker comic strips that I remember seeing in the newspaper as a kid. Some of the story takes place in Napa Valley and I grew up not far from there, and I enjoyed seeing some familiar place names in the story.
Will Cooper
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice story, and I believe that it's 100% true, but there were almost no stakes in the entire thing. The hurricane was the only thing that had potential to be bad, but that turned out mostly fine. I liked the uplifting message at the end of doing what you love to do and just doing it. Otherwise, it was a romantic comedy without any conflict.
Wred Fright
Feb 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Charming comics romance story about a cartoonist in California and a radio announcer from Puerto Rico who straddle cultures and time zones for love. Would I read this if it weren't a comic though? Um, no. Sometimes a cute drawing just sucks me into a story, and that was the case here.
Korynn
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
An amazing true-life modern romance for the ages and I highly recommend getting this hefty trade because you'll want to read it all. The art is simple and nuanced and the book is well written with extreme honesty on the part of Tom Beland himself, for which he should be commended.
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Δε λέει τίποτε καινούργιο, τίποτε το παράξενο ή εξαιρετικό. Αλλά μοιάζει τόσο αληθινό, που και ψέματα να είναι δε θα το καταλάβουμε ποτέ (που δεν είναι ψέματα....)
Ryan Devitt
Mar 02, 2012
Len
Feb 06, 2013
Andrea
rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2012
Martinet
Jul 05, 2011
Efraín
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet story, I love it.
Kevin
Jan 31, 2013
Leonard
Jun 17, 2009
Ellen Mellor
Jan 31, 2016
Rachael Eyre
Aug 08, 2015
I'm a 36 year-old cartoonist living and breathing on the island of San Juan, Puerto Rico. I was born in Chicago ILL. and was raised in Napa Valley, California. I graduated from Napa High School in 1980 (GO INDIANS!).

My career in cartoonist started at a very young age. My father, Clarence Beland , was a cartoonist in his spare time and all the boys in my family draw in one way or another. I was the
More about Tom Beland...