Start by marking “Lords and Ladies (Discworld, #14)” as Want to Read:
Lords and Ladies (Discworld, #14)

Lords and Ladies (Discworld #14)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  55,609 Ratings  ·  1,150 Reviews
A Discworld Novel. It's a hot Midsummer Night. The crop circles are turning up everywhere-even on the mustard-and-cress of Pewseyy Ogg, aged four. And Magrat Garlick, witch, is going to be married in the morning...Everything ought to be going like a dream. But the Lancre All-Comers Morris Team have got drunk on a fairy mound and the elves have come back, bringing all those ...more
Audiobook, Unabridged
Published (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Lords and Ladies, please sign up.
Ms. Smartarse I haven't (re)read Lords and Ladies for quite a while now, but as far as I recall the story doesn't reference the events in Witches Abroad at all. So…moreI haven't (re)read Lords and Ladies for quite a while now, but as far as I recall the story doesn't reference the events in Witches Abroad at all. So you should be fine.(less)

Nataliya
“Witches can generally come to terms with what actually is, instead of insisting on what ought to be.”
As anyone who knows me can attest to, I tend to gush over Pratchett's books, with all his wit and wisdom and the ability to create incredibly clever and very serious humor rooted in uncomfortably deep understanding of human mind.
“Personal’s not the same as important. People just think it is.”
Lords and Ladies of the Lancre Witches subcycle of the Discworld books was the first Pratchett Witch
Jono
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, hilarious
i agree wholeheartedly, this is my FAVORITE of the Witch series. I love Granny v Lily in "Witches Abroad," but if you delighted in Mrs. Weasley gettin all Sigourney Weaver on Bellatrix L in the last Harry Potter, YOU'LL LOVE the whole last third of the book. i squirmed with glee as soon as Magrat put on that armor. the principle of a cat in a box being any of 3 various states till you open the box: alive, dead, bloody pissed off is all i know about physics, or need to know.
Lyn
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elves on the Discworld.

In Guillermo del Toro’s 2008 film Hellboy 2, the Elvin character Prince Nuada makes a point about humans remembering why they fear the dark. These elves are dark creatures, thoroughly unfaeirie like and even un-Tolkien like.

Terry Pratchett’s 1992 Discworld novel (the 14th) Lords and Ladies describes a similarly negative vision of elves. I could not help wondering is del Toro gained some inspiration from Pratchett’s dark elves.

Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Og and Magrat are just
Chris
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fantasy, pratchett

Elves.

When you think of elves, what do you think of? The tall, fair-skinned beings of Tolkien's Middle Earth? The ebony warriors from Dungeons & Dragons? Delicious cookies?

Not on Discworld. On Discworld, the Elves are folk of legend, and dark legend at that. People there remember the elves, although not very well. They remember through old wives' tales, about leaving milk for the fairies and not going near the standing stones. Ask someone in the kingdom of Lancre, and they'll think of elves
Melki
The gals have been gone a while, and lots of things can happen in eight month's time.

Magrat is still planning to marry the new king (and former fool) of Lancre, and anyone who's everyone will be attending the Royal Wedding, including our favorite Librarian. (If only they can get him to put on some clothes...)

But wait...strange things are happening. (Well, stranger things than the strange things that normally happen in Discworld.)

Even the bees are worried.

Granny Weatherwax is reunited with an ol
Cabezabajo
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, fantasy
Definitivamente Pratchett se luce en la saga de las brujas, cada nueva historia es mejor que la anterior.

Los personajes principales crecen mucho en esta entrega. Conocemos mucho mejor a Magrat y a Yaya, y las conversaciones entre ésta y Tata son tronchantes. Introducir a los magos en el universo particular de Lancre es todo un acierto, pero para mi el gran punto fuerte es la teoría de los universos alternativos, muy bien llevada a lo largo de la novela.

Ha sido muy curioso conocer a los lores y l
Wiebke (1book1review)
Rereading this was a revelation of sorts. I had forgotten that this book was about elves and also how much I had learned from Granny Weatherwax in this novel.
Needless to say I enjoyed the read immensely and can't wait to continue traveling in Discworld.

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
It started slow and I was beginning to wonder how is it possible that a story with Granny Weatherwax could be like this. Then it picked up a bit and almost until one heart-stopping moment near the end it was just an ok story with occasional brilliant flashes that I have come to expect from a Discworld book.
As usual, Nanny Ogg was hilarious. Granny's out of the character behaviour got a satisfactory explanation.

The lords and ladies are elves and they want to come back. Since they are murdering m
Carol Rodríguez
¡Qué bueno! De nuevo encantada con un libro de Mundodisco. Siempre he dicho que mi subsaga favorita era la de la Muerte, pero hace algún tiempo que creo que las brujas la han superado. No se me ocurre qué decir sin repetirme: me encanta el humor de Terry Pratchett, el universo de Mundodisco... Nada que no haya dicho ya o que no se sepa. Pero es que este libro, que es en parte una parodia de "El sueño de una noche de verano", me ha enganchado mucho y me ha hecho disfrutar hasta el punto de que se ...more
Ана Хелс
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
За четене на Пратчет моментът винаги трябва да е специален – я особено депресиращ рожден ден, я голяма до средна по мащаб семейна трагедия, или просто края на поредния проект, който си се надявал да е твоето голямо бъдеще. И тъй като повече чичо Тери го няма, пазя малките Пратчетски съкровища като колбички с живителен еликсир, които хем ще ме накарат да се кикотя особено неприлично на оживени обществени места, хем ще ме замислят за твърде много неща от живота, които някак съм подминавала с неясн ...more
YouKneeK
Lords and Ladies is the fourth book in the Witches subseries of Discworld. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the previous two Witches books. I thought the humor, while present, wasn’t nearly as strong as it was in the last two.

I think the humor seemed weaker because our main characters (Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat, of course!) were often off doing separate things, and a big part of what makes me laugh in these books comes from dialogue between Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg. On the
Chris
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discworld-novels
I love Pratchett's spin on fantasy. He takes a well-known faerie tale (elves) and shines a totally different light on them:
"Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
Claudiu
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Books like 'Lords and ladies' are the reason why I seem to return to Pratchett's universe time and time again. You can always count on this author to produce something new with his already established character sets and settings...and that's a fantastic draw.

I won't go into summary for the plot or story. There are tens of reviews written already that have that covered...so I'll just justify those 5 marks up there. And since I feel I'll be adding this to any review I write, the stars do not repr
Gavin
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In my last review I admitted that I was a big fan of re-contextualised mythology, and I think anyone who has any interest in fantasy will find that they are too.

In Lords and Ladies, Pratchett re-draws the boundaries where elves are concerned. Trying to push the fae folk back from Tolkien's ("pretty = lovely") vision towards their German/Scandinavian folkloric roots ("pretty = dangerous") is -to this day- an almost entirely unique direction to head in, and an interesting one. After all, people ar
Tfitoby
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical, funny
The witches are returning to Lancre after the events of Witches Abroad to find that nothing much has changed in their absence, except that some young girls have been meddling with witchcraft and allowed the elves to cross from their dimension in to the Lancre hills and are once more attempting to enslave the Disc. Granny is getting forgetful, Nanny is getting amorous and Magrat is going to be Queen on Midsummer's Night. What chance does the Disc have when it's in the hands of comic artisans, bum ...more
Holly
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this one: about how folklore isn't as benign as we often believe, about all the different lives we might have led...and about how, especially on your wedding day, "it's not about what you've got but how you got it." I'd have preferred mud-encrusted chain mail and scraps of silk to the dress I had, but the truth of this still applies to me as much.
Jane Jago
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was there ever any question. I am a huge fan girl when it comes to the great Terry, but the witches are my absolute favourites.

Nanny Ogg is my hero.

And I love the sly references throughout.
Jota Houses
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Es la noche del Solsticio de Verano, y para la boda de Magrat Ajostiernos y el rey Verence los rústicos artesanos de Lancre han preparado un "Entretenimiento teatral" junto a los bailarines, el antiguo círculo de piedras.
¿Que podría salir mal?
Los elfos son prodigiosos. Provocan prodigios.
Los elfos son maravillosos. Causan maravillas.
Los elfos son fantásticos. Crean fantasías.
Los elfos son fascinantes. Proyectan fascinación.
Los elfos son encantadores. Urden encantamientos.
Los elfos son tremendos.
Lucian Bogdan
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sunt sigur că Lumea Disc există pe undeva, prin multivers. Iar genialul ei creator, Terry Pratchett, o veghează și acum îndeaproape. Am avut ocazia să vizitez din nou minunatul și minusculul regat Lancre, unde Buna Batevreme și Țața Ogg au avut de-a face cu... cu... of, nu le pot spune numele, n-am destul fier prin preajmă. Dar cartea a fost excepțională.
Alfred Haplo
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f
You find the sweet spot, you find the magic. Lords and Ladies* is as sweet as they come, with Pratchett and his coven finding their groove in this 4th of the Witches sub-series, also a direct sequel to Witches Abroad. In a DiscWorld first, an author’s note is included, with an extract here, (not spoiler) (view spoiler) ...more
David Sarkies
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Beauty is deceptive on the outside
19 December 2013

This book is very, very loosely based upon Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night Dream, and to be honest with you if he had not told me at the beginning of the book and at the end of the book I probably would not have realised it. The reason that I say that is because when I say loosely I mean really loosely. In fact the only thing about the book that seems to be connected to the play is that a group of working class people go a rehearse a play in the
Thiago d'Evecque
"Eu não sou contra deuses e deusas, em seus devidos lugares. Mas eles devem ser aqueles que nós mesmos criamos. Então podemos fazê-los em pedaços quando não precisarmos mais deles, entende?"

Discworld fica melhor a cada releitura. Percebemos os detalhes da narrativa, os foreshadows que se cumprem lá no fim, os temas, as mensagens profundas disfarçadas de piadas e sátiras com várias convenções da fantasia (e da ficção).

Lordes e damas se passa no arco das bruxas, e é preciso ter lido os anteriores
Steven Harbin
Jan 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers, people who like humorous fantasy, satire
It seems like I enjoy each book that I read of Terry Pratchett's a little more than the previous one. While Witches Abroad still ranks as my favorite so far, I thought this follow up book in the Discworld Witches subgenre was just as good. Pratchett creates strong female characters and his everyday run of the mill people characters who rise to heroic hights when necessary are very believable. Of course not all his characters are heroic, the cowardly magician Rincewind being the notable exception ...more
Melindam
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discworld, uno-2017
"Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad."

This book reminded me that I need to re-read
Joey Woolfardis
[First read: 19th August, 2011: 5 stars.
Second read: 25th July, 2013: 5 stars.]

Pratchett has an unbelievable knack for taking an idea that has been around for centuries, stretching it out with a rolling-pin and kneading it into something majestic and full of such originality you wonder how any could have missed it beforehand.

Those Witches are at it again. Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are back from travels to fight against the Lords and Ladies--Elegant folk, fair, beautiful... glamourous.
In te
Nicole
Mar 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: julia Andersen
A fun twist on the basic ideas found in A Midsummer Night's Dream. Granny Weatherwax was especially awesome in this one; she is such a wonderful character. Magrat did some surprising things, too.
I just have a little quibble about Pratchett's writing style--at times it can be like reading a play without enough attributions, the way he will set dialogue aside instead of attaching the action that goes with it. But his humour and other cleverness overcome that little distraction.
Esmerelda Weatherwax
This might be one of my favorite in the Witches series, because it really shows off how badass Esme Weatherwax is.

The take on Elves in this book is refreshing, I loved it. It took an old trope and turned it on it's head. I read this way back when, and I think it was the first time I'd seen elves as not peaceful logical good-guys.

Granny is at her best in this book!
Peat
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah re-reading, how I love you so.

And Discworld. I love Discworld too. Particularly the Witches. A result of re-reading this series in reverse is realising just how much I wished he'd written more about them post-Small Gods, that being the point when I believe Pratchett really nailed story telling. We'll see how that stands when I get to Witches Abroad.

Also, I just realised I skipped Maskerade. Oops.

But back to the Witches! For me, this is a classic; a fantastic send-up of rural life and folk bel
Leslie
Slightly better than 3.5* but not as hilarious as the previous books in the Witches subseries. I liked the twist on Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream"
Fedorita
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro me encanta, y necesitaba leer a Terry Pratchett tras las primeras lecturas de este año.
Goodreads Librari...: Edition trouble 14 46 Nov 29, 2011 05:36PM
  • East of Ealing
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • Valhalla
  • The Tough Guide to Fantasyland

More about Terry Pratchett

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” 4571 likes
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.” 2969 likes