Start by marking “The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2)

The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully #2)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  1,111 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Published December 15th 2002 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Viking Funeral, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Viking Funeral

markandshantel
Jul 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
I had seen this author's books before, but never picked one up. I was reading "Echo Park" by Michael Connelly - and he specifically mentions Stephen Cannell as part of the plot. I thought that was pretty interesting - obviously Connelly was giving a literary shout out to Cannell.

So I picked up "Viking Funeral". Very good book - very brutal. The LAPD must cringe whenever a book comes out that paints them in such an unflattering light (see LA Rex). Cannell is a former screen writer for lots of fam
Kristen
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great second book in this series. More of a mystery than the first novel. It is about Shane, the main character, who has a run-in with his past, in particular a friend whom he thought was dead. Again, no one believes him at first, and he has to risk his life to have the truth brought foward. A great story!
Space
Sep 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Reading this many books in a row by a single author has advantages and disadvantages. The good is that I really get in touch with (and stay close to) the continuing characters. The downside is that you also get really in touch with the author's little hitches. His overuse of the same clichés and tired, worn out descriptions. It gets pretty old. And I feel like I'm writing the same report for every Cannell book now: good read, kept me entertained, but nothing spectacular.

So why do I continue to r
Marleen
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This second book in the Shane Scully series presents us with a darker plot, revolving around corrupt police officers who have gone way off the reservation. One of those vicious undercover cops is LAPD Sergeant Shane Scully’s best friend since childhood that everyone presumed dead since his suicide two years ago. Now it seems all that was staged so he could go undercover. When Shane unexpectedly recognizes Jody driving on the freeway, Shane can’t let it go. He wants to know what happened to Jody ...more
Zach
Similar to other Cannell novels.
Great beginning, grabs your attention. Lots of action. Some character development, which is never allowed to come to complete fruition (Shane Scully has to deal with the fact that he did something horrible, but it turns out okay).

The book loses steam near the end, as the plot becomes overly and (arguably) unnecessarily complicated with an abruupt resolution. Characters are decent but could have been developed more (ie character described by single phrase/identit
Debby
Aug 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Stephen Cannell's Shane Scully series and I'm hooked. This book is full of everything that makes for a great adventure: suspense, drama, romance, humor, and great characters! If you like books by Stuart Woods, Ed McBain, Michael Connelly or Harlan Coben, I think you will like Stephen Cannell's Shane Scully series.
Ed Schmidt
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While driving along the freeway, Shane sees his best friend, Jody Dean, in the car next to him. But that can't be possible, Jody committed suicide 3 years earlier. While Alexa thinks Shane's mind is playing tricks on him, Shane is determined to pursue the matter. His investigation leads him to faked deaths and rouge cops that he an Alexa must stop, at all costs. A surprise ending caps the story.
Cecelia/Ceil
Apr 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
The Second of the Shane Scully series. Cannell writes interesting characters and this storyline had several unexpected twists. I listened to this as an unabridged audiobook read by Dick Hill, who was great at giving different personalities to each character.
Sheryl
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really like Cannell's books. The characters are good and the stories are good.
Thomas
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this was outstanding book.could not put this down.just kept reading until it was done.
Bbann
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book got a little "wordy" at times, but i loved the twists and turns!
JackieJ
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Implausible plot.
Phillip III
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THE VIKING FUNERAL is the second book in the Shane Scully Series, and while it is the first book I have ever read by Cannell, it will not be the last.

The story is pretty straight-forward. We have LAPD Officer Shane Scully. A single father. He is in dating Alexa, also an officer with LAPD. And the relationship is pretty serious. The idea is to get married. Turn the three of them into a family.

Life is never that simple.

Not long ago Shane's partner, Jody Dean, committed suicide. It has not been eas
David
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm not sure what to say about this book, other than it kept making me think of the movie "Predator". In that movie, Ahnald , Jesse Ventura and a group of tough-guy commandos go into the jungle on a mission only to be taken apart by an alien. There are no aliens in this book, but much of the action revolves around a group of tough guy types called the Vikings. Like the "Predator" gang, most of the characters are cartoonish and hard to take seriously.

That being said, the book gets off to a great
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
3.5 Stars

Shane Scully sees a very familiar face as he driving to the airport to pick up his girlfriend's brother. But his best friend committed suicide in his plain wrapper a few years back, right? But the face driving the orange and black Charger indeed belongs to Jody Dean. His girl, Alexa Hamilton, doesn't believe Scully until the murder of Dean's former Commander. A decorated cop herself, has had a close relationship with the slain man and the evidence found at the Commander's home proves th
Nolan
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it
There's something about this author's writing style that yanks me into his books and forces me to stay glued to them to the back page. It almost feels like fast-breaking news where data changes constantly rather than the normal 24-hour news cycle wherein things are repeated endlessly.

Shane Sculley has been thinking lately about his former friend on the Los Angeles police force--a friend who took his life inexplicably. But if his friend is indeed dead, why did Sculley see his friend on the expres
Kathryn Yaste
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Stephen Cannell made his living for a long time as an 80s television writer. That fact comes across so clearly in his writing. As I said during some of my updates, there was some phrasing that was so bad it pulled me right out of the story. In the first two minutes, the phrase "post-coital sex" is used, and the narration that follows, while it might have made good television, was so cringe-worthy as prose I almost quit listening and returned the CD to the library.
I'm glad I didn't, because despi
Linda
Oct 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
For three years, Shane Skully has been mourning the death of best friend and fellow cop, Jody Dean. He's trying to move forward, but his career's been affected. Imagine his shock when, on his way to work, he spots Jody driving the car in the adjoining lane. Their eyes meet, and recognition is telegraphed, but Jody takes off and Shane loses him. Shane refuses to rest until he finds him again, and what he finds will land him in a nightmare that will probably destroy him.

The Viking Funeral propels
Katie
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Stephen J. Cannell has that uncanny ability to write any book to read like a stand-alone, even if it fits perfectly into the rest of its series. The Viking Funeral is really enjoyable, delves a lot more into Shane's relations and makes him a bit more morally ambiguous. Character-wise, Alexa and the Chief (aka the Day-Glo Dago) really stole the show on this one. Chooch was a bit out of the story (and for good reason) but I was disappointed that he didn't have more of an affect on Shane's actions. ...more
ElaineY
Shane Scully has been struggling with grief after the suicide of his best friend and colleague so it comes as a shock when he spots Jody Dean driving past. Searching for Jody uncovers a deepcover operation within the LAPD which involves an elaborate money-laundering scheme that large American corporations are participating in.

Cannell wrote this story based on true events, apparently. Despite the mystery and action, I found myself losing interest. I'd say it's my current mood, not the book and if
LJ
THE VIKING FUNERAL - G+
Stephen J. Cannell
If Detective Shane Scully's best friend, Jody Dean, committed suicide three years ago, then who did Shane just see for one fleeting moment on the Ventura Freeway? He's convinced it was his former colleague. Or was his mind playing tricks? Shane's lover, Alexa Hamilton, herself a lauded LAPD officer, happens to think so. But Shane knows what he saw. And for a rogue cop with nothing left to lose, the search for Dean has become more than an investigation. It
Glen
Shane Scully is driving around when he sees his former best friend drive by in a sports car. The problem is, the best friend is supposed to be dead.

Scully starts investigating, and finds his friend is heading up a unit of rogue undercover cops trying to muscle in on a money laundering scheme for drug dealers with a tobacco company.

Really seems more like a Rockford Files plot than a Shane Scully plot, but it isn't bad.
Joe
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
the 2nd in the Shane Scully series. I need to locate a copy of series #1, The Tin Collectors, then go onto read the other 8 in the series. Great new character. Officer in the LAPD and you learn WAY too much about "Parallel markets" = Drugs and Money Laundering. Based on fact...and we are talking BILLIONS of Dollars and todays MAJOR companies that still secretly do this. Greed like you can't belive but you KNOW its true, in the story and today in real life!
Marcus
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
A better than average thriller/crime story which will keep reader's interest 'till the end, provided that he/she is into this type of books. The characters have some depth, the story arch reminded me quite a bit of the plot in action thriller movies of late eighties and early ninties (i.e. slightly over the top on shootouts and action scenes). As long as you're after some light entertainment, it's a quite fun read.
Tim Countryman
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My first, but definitely not the last, Stephen J. Cannell book. To accept the "parallel trade" and the sickening hold it has on politicians, judges, and cops at every level, from street thugs to drug cartels, dusty villages to corporate banks, the arrogance of those in the parallel trade will always have the likes of LAPD Sgt. Shane Scully breathing down their neck!
Joe
Nov 10, 2009 rated it liked it
A nice quick read, 3.5 stars for me. I really like the character Shane Scully and indeed supporting characters. As with previous book in series a little over the top in places & agree review listed in goodread that plot loses it's edge with the tropics bouncing around.. Still an enjoyable romp and the Scully character has me engrossed enough to go back for more..
Ralph McEwen
Jun 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
A good tale that being based in a true incident makes a lot of emotional connections. The characters are well defined and come across as lifelike. The story has a lot of action and keeps you turning the pages.
Leo
Apr 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
I like the character and overall the books are very good, at least the first two in the series which are all I've read so far. There are minor problems with content that a firearms consultant or even a trip to a good gun shop would cure. Other than those problems there is nothing to criticize.
Christine
Shane can sure pick some winners for his "friends" can't he? I was a little surprised that Shane did not pick up on how/who Jody was before they met again. The storyline was very predictable but still good and solid.
Jo-Ann Murphy
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book got off to a bit of a slow start for me, but once it picked up it was a wild ride. Excellent characters and a very complex story with lots of twists to hold the reader's interest leading to a satisfying ending.
  • Vodka Doesn't Freeze (Detective Jill Jackson, #1)
  • The Border Lords (Charlie Hood # 4)
  • The Sixth Commandment
  • Messiah
  • Fatal Flaw (Victor Carl, #3)
  • Above the Law
  • Vertical Burn
  • Burnt Bones  (Special X, #7)
  • Critical Judgment
  • Hunting Season
  • Exact Revenge
  • Run for Your Life
  • Waterbury
  • Depraved Indifference (Butch Karp, #2)
  • Safer
  • Omega
  • The Memory Collector (Jo Beckett #2)
  • Find Me (Kathleen Mallory, #9)
Stephen J. Cannell was an American television producer, writer, novelist, and occasional actor, and the founder of Cannell Entertainment (formerly Stephen J. Cannell Productions) and the Cannell Studios.

Cannell created or co-created several successful TV series from the 1970s to the 1990s. Creations included The Rockford Files, The A-Team, The Greatest American Hero, 21 Jump Street, and The Commis
More about Stephen J. Cannell...

Shane Scully (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Tin Collectors (Shane Scully, #1)
  • Hollywood Tough (Shane Scully, #3)
  • Vertical Coffin (Shane Scully, #4)
  • Cold Hit (Shane Scully, #5)
  • White Sister (Shane Scully, #6)
  • Three Shirt Deal (Shane Scully, #7)
  • On The Grind (Shane Scully, #8)
  • The Pallbearers (Shane Scully, #9)
  • The Prostitutes' Ball (Shane Scully, #10)
  • Vigilante (Shane Scully, #11)