Start by marking “If Wishes Were Horses” as Want to Read:
If Wishes Were Horses

If Wishes Were Horses

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  871 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Tizra and her twin brother Tracell find their world abruptly changed when their father is unexpectedly called to fight in a war which promises to last much longer than the usual three-day skirmish. Their mother - the village healer - enlists her children to assist her in caring for the refugees left wounded and homeless by the conflict.
Published October 1st 2007 by Cosmos Pub. (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about If Wishes Were Horses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Wishes Were Horses

Jerry
Oct 16, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a ripoff. I waited for years to read this, only to be seriously let down. Even Anne McCaffrey fans are bound to be disappointed.
Dark-Draco
McCaffrey's Pern books are one of my favourite fantasy series. And when I found out that she was also a lover of horses, just like me, I just had to track down some of her equine fiction.

This short story is simple and fairly well told - I love the world she has created that wouldn't bog down a young reader with too much details and yet feels very real. It also covers a topic that I find fascinating - instead of following the men off to war, it focuses on how the women and children cope instead.

T
Douglas Milewski
If Wishes Were Horses (1998) is a YA fantasy story by Anne McCaffrey. In the story, the Lord goes to war, and the Lady is left managing the valiant home front that could in a circa-1800's feeling English country.

The tale is fairly short and barely rises to the term novella, even if it is a stand-alone book.

The story advances very simply, with the precognitive Lady having the intelligence and resources to see her village through hard times. Meanwhile, the villagers don't seem very capable of taki
Kristen Coffin
"It is true that the impossible takes longer, but the improbable is a force to be reckoned with."

Kids reading level book, easy to read if you've got an afternoon to kill (which is what I did). Not that interesting to be honest. Husband goes off to war, mother raises the children while he's gone. Lessons are learned and the like, but it's really basic stuff.
Hamad
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful little tale !

Extremely well told. Loved the crystals !

Were they actually magical or was it just the belief?

Feminism !!!
Shown in a great manner. The leadership quality shown by her mother were inspieational. Infact the character as whole was inspirational. Women make great leaders.
C. E.
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great story

of the effects of war on the civilian populace. It is probably good for tweens as well as young teens. The protagonist is female but the male point if view is also portrayed.
Lauren
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5/5 ⭐ ...more
Alyssa Acula
3.75 🌟 // Anne MaCaffrey is definitely a favorite author of mine as no matter what she writes, I enjoy it in some way.

If Wishes Were Horses is certainly a fascinating read, even more so if it was double in length. I find 94 pages extremely insufficient to set up a proper conflict, the tension was barely nonexistent, whuch shouldn't be as there is a war where the main protagonist's father was participating. The srory lacks emotional tension and character development.

Nevertheless, Anne MaCaffrey's
Timothy Skilton
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne McCaffery was a remarkable author. I don't know the origins of this little vignette, but what I do know is that this is a remarkable display of Ms. McCaffrey's ability to build a world into a complete story in a seamless fashion in just a few pages.
Kat
Another short novel.
a quick and easy read.
Paul
Aug 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short fantasy novel explores the power of hope and love, and that dreams really can come true.

Lady Talarrie Eircelly has a well-known gift for healing in their small country village. Whether the malady is physical or emotional, she is The Person To See. Her husband, Lord Emkay Eircelly, is known as a fair ruler of the village. They have several children, including teenage twins, Tirza and Tracell. Life is pretty good in the village, until a messenger arrives from the king with news of war.

L
**✿❀ Maki ❀✿**
This is the first book I've read by Anne McCaffrey.

Well...not really a book. It's more of a short story.

If Wishes Were Horses is about a twin brother and sister nearing adulthood. It's about war, and how people pull together to make the most of things. It's about the strength of women, and the power of humans to adapt and survive despite the challenges that life throws at us. But mostly, it's about growing up.

The story itself isn't very character based. You have your main cast, yes, but the stor
Lisa
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
(originally reviewed on starmetal oak book blog)

When I received this book I was quite surprised, it's a small, cute square hardcover with such pretty artwork. It's quite short, at 96 pages, and even then the pages are quite small.

If Wishes Were Horses is a glimpse into a fantasy world and is driven by the characters. It centers on Tizra, a twin whose father goes off to war to support their prince. This is shortly before her and her brother’s 16th birthday, and when she is supposed to receive a
Rena Sherwood
Disappointing. The cover shows something that does not seem to happen in the book. I know that's a minor quibble but to me it's like

description

The title really should be "How We Survived the War at the Home Front." There is very little to do with horses here. Too many characters to keep track of for so short a story. McCaffrey spends ages detailing what the clothes looked like and next to nothing about what the horses and the twin's pony looked like. Come on! This isn't story writing. This is just phoning
Stacy
Mar 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a short and fast read. Tirza tells the story of what happened when a two year war broke out in the kingdom. She highlights how smart her mother is and the strength she has. Also she talks about how her twin brother and her will be turning sixteen and all Tracell (her brother) wants for the day he becomes a man is a horse. Yet with the war horses are hard to come by. Tirza fears that this is something even her mother will not be able to accomplish. This story shows the bound of love and ...more
Bookstorequeer
A very short read, quick and entertaining. I kept expecting the story to open up into a story of more magic, more adventure than just one home, behind war lines, but it didn't. That was a little disappointing but at the same time, it holds the potential for a larger story, so that's interesting.

It's always nice to read an Anne McCaffrey that I never knew existed and this was a sweet one. Definitely YA, but it does round out a collection.
Catherine Yezak
Jul 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a different type of story than what I am used to. I wasn't crazy about it ending so abruptly. I felt like more of the story needed to be explaine, too many questions. I also didn't like the addition of another story being published by the same publisher added to this story.

The story was inventive and interesting. I would have liked to see what happened to the twins and what is so special about their abilities and the meaning of the crystals.
Sarah Mckenna
Very short, all about bearing up in the face of hardship. As a coming-of-age tale it leaves something to be desired, it's a little too gentle on that front. There's no real loss for the protagonists so it's really hard to see any growth in them - the general privation brought on by a distant war is more implied than even explicitly stated. I read the e-book but supposedly the print version is very pretty. A story for little kids.
Jackie Krasuski
Definitely not one of McCaffrey's greatest achievements. I felt a little lost, like she never took me into the story. There was not a lot of time for development of the story, either. I think this would be better if it was longer, maybe with more background about what is going on. It was a nice quick read though, and good for anyone who does not want to get obsessed with series books.
Amanda Rosenberger
I am a huge Mccaffrey fan, and have been my whole life. I'm dedicating this year of reading to try and read all her published works I have not read. So far, her worst book. Absolutely pointless. Beyond that, incredibly predicable. It was extremely choppy, and seemly to just be written as a first draft.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This was a fast read. Ms. McCaffrey is one of the few writers who writes from the perspective of the beta character. Or I guess the main character is not the "best" and heroine. Instead, Tirza is the slightly overlooked one. She's out shined by her mother. My preference is for her sci-fi/fantasy books. This was nice, but not really my favourite.
Kyle
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first non-Pern Anne McCaffery book I have read, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The prose flows better than any of her Pern books, and is so much easier to read. It only took me about 2 hours to read, which was mainly because I had to stop to eat in the middle of the book. I would gladly recommend this to just about anyone.
Cindy
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, youth
There's a lot of story in this short book. It tells of a family and community's struggle to prepare and perservere through some very tough times.

I think there's some good messages in this book especially if you consider the crystals as symbolic of the gift of the Holy Ghost.

It does elude to power coming from crystals.
It was shelved in the young adult section.
Moose
Dec 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting story with strong and practical characters. There is very little drama in the traditional sense. McCaffrey doesn't take us to the midst of the battle or to the strategist's table, instead, we are with those left behind at home. The characters exhibit the best qualities of family and internal strength in the midst of confusion and fear.
Megan
Aug 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book from when I was younger. My brother read all of McCaffrey's dragon books, so my parents thought I might like her writing too. Re-reading it was inspired by the Medieval Times theme for Cub Camp
Kelley Ross
I was excited to come across this book in our local used books store because I've never seen it before anywhere else. :)

A fun, short read. Although I have to say that Anne mccaffrey's series books are always better than the singles.
MissSusie
Nov 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This was a cute little book only about 80 pages so was a very quick read but a good story.I love Anne McCaffrey's Pern books,this one was quite different.I do however wish it would have been longer because it was a good story.All in all if you want a quick read this is a good story.
Dec 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A cute, short little story. There was some magic in it, but it didn't really work. I don't know, it really felt as if if the magic/mystic elements were added in later and not fully developed. At least, not as much as in the rest of her works.
Amy
Sep 08, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only read the first 3 pages. I could not get interested. I read and reread the same paragraph over and over, before I finally just decided to put it down. I don't see myself ever giving this book another chance.
Kathleen
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the focus on the running of the estate and the problems war brought to the local area. There's a lot to be done - but there's a lot that CAN be done, as well!
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The People of Pern
  • The Gratitude of Kings (Thieves' World / Lythonde)
  • Magicians of Quality (Cecelia & Kate, #1-2)
  • Anne McCaffrey's Unicorn Girl: The Illustrated Adventures
  • The River's Gift
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)
  • Gryphon's Eyrie (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #7)
  • The Adventures of King Midas
  • Jerlayne
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • The Atlas of Pern
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99