Start by marking “The Gambling Man” as Want to Read:
The Gambling Man

The Gambling Man

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  462 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A novel from the author of PARSON'S DAUGHTER, HAROLD, DINNER OF HERBS, GOODBYE HAMILTON, BLACK VELVET GOWN, INVISIBLE CORD, WHIP, MOTH, CULTURED HANDMAIDEN, HAMILTON and BILL BAILEY.
Mass Market Paperback
Published 1977 by Corgi (first published November 10th 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Gambling Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gambling Man

Alisa
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Was an extra in the film with Robson Green!!! Was a fun day and got a kiss from Robson.....and the wardrobe dept was excellent! Fab hob nail boots and a basque ( I was playing the part of a "loose woman !! LOL)
Bettie☯

Description: Rory Connor was a gambling man and he had a gambler's luck. From the day he was born, his mother had known that Rory would be the one to make something of his life. At seven years old he was earning money from odd jobs and by fourteen he was in full-time work. By the time he had escaped the factory to become a rent-collector. Now, at twenty three, ambition was in full flow and he was always looking to bigger and better games to play. He feared nothing and nobody, not even the unscru
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bettie
Rory recovers after being left for dead by the Pittie brothers and discovers that his friend John has been jailed for the theft of £5 from his boss's safe. Meanwhile, the business is being run by Charlotte, the boss's daughter, who is proving herself to be a capable businesswoman. Charlotte suspects the Pittie brothers of attacking Rory and tries to find out more...

A movie was made on his book and it is available at You Tube.
Susan
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
As in most of Cookson's books she writes with strong female characters overcoming some miserable circumstance or misfortune. I also love the English accents given her characters. If you like books set in old England and well developed characters, you will enjoy books by Catherine Cookson!
Vickie
Apr 03, 2011 rated it liked it
What can I say, good book, good movie.
Barbra
Nov 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is one of the author's really good books - this was made into a TV series.

Back Cover Blurb:
Rory Connor was a gambling man and he had a gamblers luck. From the day he was born, his mother had known that Rory would be the one to make something of his life. At seven years old he was earning money from odd jobs and by 14, he was in full time work. By the time he was 19, he had escaped the factory to become a rent-collector.
Now at 23, ambition was in full flow and he was always looking for bigge
Lili
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Shawn Machen
Oct 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is my first Catherine Cookson book and it wasn't that good actually. I found it to be very predictable in the plot, and honestly, it was a GIGANTIC disappointment. I'm sure its just my taste in books and this wasn't my "cup of tea" but for me it was a let down.
Judy
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is the only book I've read by Catherine Cookson but i enjoyed it enough that I should be looking for more books by her. Brenda has a great list of those she's read and i'll have to find and read them :)
Lynn Smith
Oct 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not a favourite of mine again nothing to do with the writing just about the gambling and the characters I could not identify with.
Deborah
  • Pioneer, Go Home!
  • Csardas
  • What Happened to the Corbetts
  • Water Gypsies
  • The Wild Island (Jemima Shore, #2)
  • Now I'll Tell You Everything (Alice, #25)
  • Looking After Lily
  • The Blessing Cup
  • Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)
  • The Curry Secret
  • This Time of Dying
  • Liverpool Annie
  • The Green Witch Herbal: Restoring Nature's Magic in Home, Health, and Beauty Care
  • Sepp Holzer: The Rebel Farmer
  • Mary Bell's Comp Dehydrator Cookbook
  • The Old Straight Track: Its Mounds, Beacons, Moats, Sites and Mark Stones
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, who Catherine believed was her older sister. Catherine began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master.

Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby
More about Catherine Cookson...