Start by marking “If Kids Ruled the World” as Want to Read:
If Kids Ruled the World

If Kids Ruled the World

This original, fun picture book delightfully describes, in hilarious detail, a small child's idea of utopia. Every two-page spread offers something new about this fantasy life, including, ?If kids ruled the world, every day would be your birthday! Birthday cake would be good for you. Your doctor would say, 'Don't forget to eat your birthday cake so you'll grow up strong an ...more
Published September 1st 2014 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about If Kids Ruled the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Kids Ruled the World

Start your review of If Kids Ruled the World
Candace
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
If kids ruled the world they could have birthday cake everyday. Even the doctor would say it's good for you. Beds would be used to jump on and hide under, not for bedtime. If kids ruled the world they could wear anything they want, even their underwear on their head. If you wanted to go somewhere, you could travel in your thingamajiggy to get there. There are so many things that would be different if kids ruled the world.

What an energetic, active book. The vibrant pictures keep the child busy im
Jay
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
ARC courtesy of NetGalley

you just have to love books like this that delve into a child's imagination and the way they look at the world.

if kids ruled the world you could eat birthday cake everyday, there would be dinosaurs in the park, and you could go to recess school!

plus a little reminder to the grown ups to always have fun, no matter how old you may be.

oh, all the things we could do if kids ruled the world!
Sylvester
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, humor, children-s, squirt
3* art
3* story

We laughed over this one. Squirt had some excellent ideas. He was going to drive his monster truck off a jump and onto the pirate ship. We spend a lot of time these days choosing which thing on the page is our favorite, but I always get second choice...!
Farah Neemat
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice middle.
Storywraps
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well I'm voting for the kids to rule the world in the next election. I think I would be less stressed, have more friends and yes, copias amounts of playtime would do me good. This book let's you step out of your confined and restricted adulthood and see the world through kid's eyes. What fun is happening, what bonding with kids, adults and animals - and if you look at every picture, the smiles are a mile wide. Both young and old are invited to a world where birthday cake is recommended by your d ...more
Autumn
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We received this book via NetGalley to give an honest review.
After reading the blurb I figured this would be a chapter book and I hoped it would capture K's attention. This was NOT a chapter book and for that it truly had K enjoying the story along with the pictures.
We got to read on what would happen if kids ruled the world instead of adults. Which I have to say that some of the ideas that the kids had was pretty cool.
I asked K if he was one of the kids that ruled the world what would he want
Aleece
What if everyday is your birthday? What if cake is good for you? No bedtime? Beds for bouncing? If kids ruled the world all of these things would be allowed and much more. The illustrations are very cute and depict multicultural children and lots of bright and different colors throughout the story. Even the castles that are in the story are from many different cultures. There is a lot to take away from this book as well as a lot that you can do with it in programming.

I received this advanced co
Denise
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, children-s
This children's book was pretty wonderful. It had great pictures and tons of imagination. I think the best part of this book will be the potential discussion afterwards. Every kid has their own ideas about what's wrong with the world...or what would make the world 1000 times cooler! I can see these discussions lasting days and days. It would be a great book to read on a long car trip!

*Thanks to NetGalley for letting me preview an advanced copy.
Jill
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I want to live in this world! If only it were possible. Although, I suspect a lot of adults would want to live in this world, too, if only they (we) didn't have to worry about things like bills, putting food on the table, etc. ;-) The kids are all having so much fun, it might help adults remember how they think. And at the end, the adults get to join in on the fun, might help remind grownups to take some time to have some fun with their kids!
Heidi-Marie
This was OK. I liked the imagination and the IFs. But I didn't quite get the last page. Younger school-age will enjoy this because of the IFs. Maybe older kids will, too. I want to try it on my storytime group just to see.

Irony: Beds should never be made, yet kids are jumping on a made bed.

3/30/16 Not too bad. I had a very tiny group, and mostly new people. With this book it was a brother and sister that I get in Movement storytime. They enjoyed the silliness.
Cariadne
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a treasure (or at least that's what a kid's map leads you to)! If kids ruled the world, there would be birthday cakes, no bedtimes and every child could be a prince/ss. It's total heaven and so are the words and illustrations. A beautiful picture book for adults to read to kids or for kids to pour over themselves. A real gift.
Laurie
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reading
LOVED this book. Really great illustrations and the text is fun (and oh so true)! Which kid wouldn't want to go to circus school or recess school? Birthday cake is good for us - and everyday is your birthday (presumably without actually getting older every day). Will definitely recommend this book for purchase by our children's librarian. GREAT book!!!
Jeanette
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Loved it. Adorable. Each page has fantastic artwork. Even my 8 year old who said she was too old for "that type of book" giggled as she read the page. She turned to me and said I want a treehouse! I can see this being a great read-aloud for library, bedtime, school. Its just that cute.

My copy was from Netgalley who allowed me to download a copy to read at home to review. :)
Lisa
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
very cute! It seems very realistic. I am sure if i asked my kids they would tell me the same things!
Robin
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
OK, pretty much what you expect from the title. No out-of-the-box notions, kinda pedestrian. Pleasant and restrained illustrations. A "safe" book.
Canadian
In some ways, If Kids Ruled the World is a pretty predictable children’s book: for example, everyday would be your birthday; your doctor would remind you to eat your birthday cake; there’d be no such thing as bedtime, and you wouldn’t have to make your bed etc. etc. However, there are a few surprises that reflect children’s fears—of monsters, for instance—as well as the influence of fairy tales and movies on children’s minds: everyone could be a prince or princess and could travel to faraway pla ...more
Meg McGregor
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lexi-victoria
Oh, if kids ruled the world, then I could....

eat birthday cake every day,
never have to make my bed,
take a pirate ship to travel long distances,
have all the pets I could ever want,
have a bubble bath as big as a lake,
go to Fairy school,
and go see dinosaurs in the parks!

Plus, I would be encouraged to PLAY; no matter what age I was!

Sounds like paradise, to me!
Meredith
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun read aloud for kindergarten to grade 2.
Olivia Slykhuis
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This was kind of fun. Will display for tree fort storytime.
Lynn  Davidson
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
If kids ruled the world it would be playtime all the time for everyone! Funny ideas and great illustrations.
Haley Potts
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud-books
I chose If Kids Ruled the World written by Linda Bailey and illustrated by David Huyck to use as a read aloud book. This children’s book talks about the different things kids would change about their days and their lives if they were in charge. It talked about such things as wearing whatever you wanted—a t-shirt, a tutu, a tuxedo. Or going to whatever school you wanted—some may choose Circus School, some Fairy School, and others Inventing School. But a lot of kids would choose Recess School. Jus ...more
Cruth
My copy was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review.

Author: Linda Bailey
Illustrator: David Huyck
First Published: 2014

A surprising, funny story full of whimsy and imagination that would fit easily onto any bookshelf.

With Huyck's clever, multi-cultural illustrations Bailey gives a voice to the what-ifs and stimulates creative thoughts.

And would make a great jump-off point for classroom narrative lessons.

If you could wear anything you wanted what would it be?
What pet would you
Jefna
The title says it all: IF KIDS RULED THE WORLD.
Slow clap here, right?
Things would be mighty different than they are, if kids ruled the world. The real world can be full of things that are a bummer. Like arguing, wearing itchy sweaters you don't like and cold oatmeal. But you will not find those things in this book! Nor will you find bedtimes, celery, homework or RULES.
Spoiler alert!
In this book you will find a rocket, a giant birthday cake, and people who never ever forget how to play. Lovely
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
If you were a kid, what would you want the world to be like. No bedtime, check. Lots of ice cream, check. Playtime all the time, check. There was everything in here that a child could want or think of tree houses, spaceships, dress-up, castles, fun animals for pets, pirates, etc. Just when I thought of something that was missing (dinosaurs), there they were. This is a cute book for girls and boys to have read to them. I think it would be an excellent book for day cares/storytime as it would cert ...more
Tali
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
A free copy of this book was provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is a fun picture book that looks at all the possibilities there are if only kids ruled the world. From people never being too old to play, trampolines sidewalks, circus and fairy schools, dinosaurs in the parks and pirate ships to help you travel from place to place, this book covers so many wild possibilities. The illustrations match the suggestions brilliantly and the ideas put forward are both inventive a
Barbara
The digital illustrations and text imagine a world in which youngsters are in charge. Young readers will eat this up since they're sure to wonder why they aren't the ones in charge, after all. I have to admit that living in a world where birthday cake is healthy to eat and no one had to make the bed sounds pretty good to me too. The examples start out with very basic ideas and then get more and more far-fetched as the book draws to a close with everyone living in a castle and hanging out in the ...more
Lady
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fun All The Time

This is a cute and fanciful book about how life would be different if kids ruled the world. Everyone would be happy and have fun all the time. I think this would he a great bedtime book especially for children afraid of monsters as it says monsters would be afraid of kids. It would also be great for any child that has nightmares to get them in a happy and fanciful mood before bed. I thought it was a really fun read and can't wait to share it with my children!

***This book is writt
Emmaline MacBeath
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was full of all the ways you could imagine the world to be if kids ruled the world including eating birthday cake because it is good for you and being allowed to wear whatever you want. The kids throughout this book have a roaring good time. My favorite page is towards the end where it says, "And no one would ever forget how to play! NO Way! Not even if they turned a hundred and six years old and lost all their teeth." And that is a perfect world if there ever was one.

The illustrations
Danielle Boccio
Sep 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
If Kids Ruled The World is a cute book. However, there is no main character, there's no problem that needs to be solved, and there's simply no plot. It's basically a list of how the world would be different if it were ran by kids, which definitely makes it different from your typical children's book. On the one hand, I like that the author takes a risk to write the book in a non-traditional way, but on the other hand, I'm disappointed that there's not a story line. The illustrations are well don ...more
Andréa
If Kids Ruled the World is an imaginative romp through a child's ideal world. The illustrations are mostly two-page spreads, brightly colored and activity-packed. Most kids should be able to identify with at least one or two of the characters depicted, as David Huyck has filled the pages with a diverse, well-rounded cast of characters.

If Kids Ruled the World is sure to be a hit with those speculative children who are always asking "What if...?" or describing "Wouldn't it be funny if..."

Note: I r

• How to Code a Sandcastle
  • The Wall in the Middle of the Book
  • If I Built a School
  • The Most Magnificent Thing
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • Larf
  • The Spies That Bind (Gallagher Girls, #0.5)
  • A Gallagher Wedding (Gallagher Girls, #6.5)
  • Classified Material (Gallagher Girls, #4.5)
  • Ninja in the Kitchen (Moby Shinobi: Scholastic Reader, Level 1)
  • Rescue & Jessica: A Life-Changing Friendship
  • Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo!
  • Diana: Princess of the Amazons
  • Henry Holton Takes the Ice
I was born and grew up in Winnipeg —a daydreamer with her nose in a book. In my twenties, I traveled around the world, mostly by ship. Later, I moved to Vancouver, where I earned a B.A. and M.Ed. at the University of British Columbia. Among my jobs were travel agent, college teacher, instructional designer and editor.

For years, I dabbled with writing. But I didn't begin to write in earnest until