Start by marking “At the Old Haunted House” as Want to Read:
At the Old Haunted House

At the Old Haunted House

From the author of the popular Goodnight, Little Monster and a character designer for Pixar films comes a delightful rhyming romp through an old haunted house. Vibrantly painted illustrations lead three children through the house, where new creatures await in each room. Readers can count along as they see Pa goblin and his wee goblins four and witches and ghosts, and so ...more
Published August 12th 2014 by Two Lions (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about At the Old Haunted House, please sign up.
Ann Pennewill Counting in a silly sing-song manner, which most kids like and have fun with. The illustrations are awesome!

Start your review of At the Old Haunted House
Calista
This is a counting book, very zany and crazy. I mean there are some great characters in here. I loved the artwork of this book. It was fun and it got a smile out of me. I also ended up reading this to both kids and they loved it too. The niece gave it 4 stars and it wasn’t too scary for her while the nephew gave it 5 stars and he loved all the crazy faces the creepy kids were making. He was said there was no Frankenstein character since he is on a Frankenberry kick.

There are lots of the colors
La Coccinelle
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I must admit, I don't think I'm that familiar with the poem "Over in the Meadow", which this is apparently based on. Still, At the Old Haunted House is a very cute Halloween book that can function as a story or as a counting book.

The rhyming text takes the reader through numbers from one to ten as various spooky creatures and their offspring get ready for... something. It isn't until the last pages that we understand what all the preparations are for. Along the way, we meet dancing werewolves,
Kathryn
Cute, Halloween-y take on the classic children's song "Over in the Meadow"
Here we have various spooky creatures and their spooky children doing various spooky things in an old haunted house. The new verses work well (on the whole, a few phrases stumble a bit to fit the melody) and would probably be fun for any preschoolers around Halloween time and could be independent of the illustrations if need be. The illustrations are kind of fun-cute-scary, and include monsters, bats and big spiders, so
Set
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: halloween
This is a rhyming counting book with very nice illustrations and the end reveals that (view spoiler)
"In the old house in a vault made of bricks
lived a papa vampire and his little vamps six."
kj-lkdf
Stewart
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: little-pissants
I'm not sure it's totally fair for adults to review children's books so I'm going to attempt to see the book as my children see it. There's probably some sort of recipe to making a picture book that will be beloved by my chitlins but whatever that recipe is, 'At the old haunted house' seems to have hit it. This book is a huge hit with my kids. I won it in as a galley review copy from either Goodreads or LibraryThing.

It's a beautifully illustrated hardcover book which clearly had a lot of time
Tricia Schneider
This is a cute book! My kids love the rhymes.
Sara
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
At the Old Haunted House is a fun Halloween Retelling of the classic children's song Over in the Meadow. This version sings very well and the pictures are engaging and fun without being scary. My music students love to sing along.

I recommend this book to readers 3-8.

Review copy provided by Amazon Vine

Denise
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book!!
rhyming is best!!
Diane
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Adorable young child's counting book with wonderful art work & a fun rhyme. Thanks first reads giveaway for the opportunity to share with my boys.
Amanda
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute counting book that incorporated a Halloween theme.
Dawn
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations. Cute story with counting
and rhyming.
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
if you have Amazon Prime and a tablet please get this book to read to your children this Halloween. it's super cute and helps with counting.
Mama Bibliosoph
For children who already know the song “Over in the Meadow,” this is a particularly good Halloween choice. "Over in the Meadow" is a lulling counting poem (and song) with repetitive verses. In At The Old Haunted House, numbered animals and their mothers making animal sounds are replaced by Halloween monsters, starting with a witch and her daughter:

At the old haunted house in a room with no sun
lived a warty green witch and her wee witch one.
‘SPELL!’ cried the witch.
‘POOF!’ cried the one.
And they
Lauren Fullington
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun Halloween counting book for children. I thought it was absolutely adorable.
Jessica (Spooky KidLit & We Who Walk Here, Walk Alone)
At the Old Haunted House is a charming Halloween-themed counting book with some truly spectacular art. Nate Wragg’s illustrations are gorgeous — I read this book on my Kindle, but I’m considering buying the hardcover just for his paintings. With vibrant colors and dynamic compositions, Wragg keeps the eye moving and keeps little ones’ minds occupied. There are plenty of details to point out and discuss, but there aren’t so many that it gets confusing or overwhelms the children following along.

Sandy
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a counting book (1-10) that also rhymes. I got tired of the book about 3/4 of the way through it, the rhyming part got old for me. Each two-page spread features a mother or a father creature with its corresponding number of little ones. The pa goblin with his wee goblins, ma werewolf and her wolfies and papa vampire with his vamps, these are just a few of the Halloween characters you will find on these pages. I loved all the adjectives in the writing, describing the illustrations, these ...more
Clover Blaire
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short Book Summaries for Busy People

Initial Impression: This book is so beautifully illustrated that children are sure to be mesmerized.
Pictures: Absolutely phenomenal. Vibrant. Colorful.
Characters: A cast of Halloween outcasts all live in and on the grounds of the spookiest mansion in the neighborhood.
Plot: Spooky frights and their children all prepare for a Halloween feast.
One Line Summary: Two mortals are in for the time of their lives, come Halloween night.
Brian Tracey
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

My 5 year old loves this book no matter what time of the year it is . The illustrations are cute not scary the words and rhythm of the book flows well while reading it. We change are voices for all the characters. I suppose if your child likes Hotel Transylvanian they will !ove this book also.
Carrie Guinn
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. The old haunted house was scary but fun.

My granddaughter loved it. She is 3 and loves Halloween. She liked the yummy dinner and the dancing monsters. But most of all, she liked the house.
Rachael Williams
Good kids book.

Great for Halloween time. Cute little story my kids enjoyed it. I have a 5 year old and 7 year old.
AMY
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Gr. K - 3
This is a rhyming and counting story set to the tune of Three Little Fishes. It is not too scary for little ones to read. Cute illustrations. Lots of fun. It would buy for ES. Recommended for Gr. K-3
Goldie
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute book!

My daughter loves the book. It will be read many times I'm sure. The illustrations are wonderful in this book.
Gayla Hyde
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love children's halloween books. This story was very creative and used number counting for the kids at school.
donesathes
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a good Halloween Book, for me and my grandchildren, This book is spooky, funny , Love Book!!!!
Roshelle Stotler
Fun spooky rhymes!

My 6 yr old loved the silly spooky rhymes! Pictures were super detailed as well! Very cute story. Excellent for Halloween!
Destiny Sanderson
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very Cute Halloween book
Lindsay
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a fun Halloween book with great illustrations and spooky fun!
Angela
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: pb
Cute counting Halloween picture book in rhyme. Fun to read aloud.
Colette
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The ultimate Halloween party! Great for sharing!
Brittany
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute Halloween read. Nothing too fancy, just the typical haunted house with creepy characters. Also, you get to practice counting in this one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Halloween Hustle
  • The Night Before Halloween
  • There Was an Old Mummy Who Swallowed a Spider
  • Pumpkin Jack
  • Arthur's Halloween
  • The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything
  • Skeletons ARE NOT Spooky!
  • Princess Pumpkin Patch
  • Silly Tilly
  • Turkey Claus
  • Bo the Bat
  • Never Ask A Dragon (Never Ask #1)
  • Little Boo
  • Unicorn Day
  • Princess Puffybottom . . . and Darryl
  • Frozen Olaf's Night Before Christmas Book & CD
  • Scary, Scary Halloween
  • Spooky Pookie
author and mother of two grown sons. Texas, where she lived for 9 years, is one of her favorite places and several of her books are set there. She, her husband, and their two cats currently live in Sanibel Island, Florida--where plenty of armadillos live, too.