Start by marking “War of the Bloods in My Veins: A Street Soldier's March Toward Redemption” as Want to Read:
War of the Bloods in My Veins: A Street Soldier's March Toward Redemption

War of the Bloods in My Veins: A Street Soldier's March Toward Redemption

Book by Morris, DaShaun "Jiwe"
Published April 8th 2008 by Scribner (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about War of the Bloods in My Veins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War of the Bloods in My Veins

Steven Jr.
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
DaShaun Morris's story is one with which many people are familiar: broken home, broken neighborhoods, internalized rage, and seduced by the power and relative affluence offered by the criminal streets. To those who have gone beyond stereotypes and political tropes to truly research the symptoms of the black community's struggle, Morris's story is unfortunately not new.

Still, there is a difference between knowing the story and hearing it from the source, and reading War of the Bloods in My Veins
Shanene
Dec 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
War of the Bloods In My Veins is an eye opener! Reading this book gave me a whole new understanding of what might be going on in our kids’ lives and minds that could drive and trap them into the nightmarish culture of a gang. I never really knew why and how they joined, or realized how the “occupational hazards” of membership—the violence, the drug abuse, the crime, the lack of value for human life be it their own or anyone else’s—are actually mentally and emotionally traumatizing to them as ind ...more
OOSA
Nov 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Street Soldier

"War of the Bloods in My Veins" chronicles the life of DaShaun Morris. His story starts with him being 9 years old and having to move to Phoenix and live with his aunt to going to school and feeling as if he has no choice but to join a gang because of the war between the gangs on the streets. It explains how he is initiated into a gang, the feeling the gang represents to him, the feeling of belonging and family, how he gets caught up in gang activities from gunning down anyone in a
Seán
The first third was excellent, really among the best in the ex-gangster memoir genre (spanning from Henry Hill to Sanyika Shakur). Morris' ruthless examination of his early childhood and its various dislocations and traumas was not only engaging and insightful, but also revealed a unique voice. Jeff Johnson was right to highlight this aspect in his introduction.

However, as the book moved on to later events, it lost focus and eventually began to seize on a number of cliches to reach a fitful and
Nicole Comtois
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book review.
War of the Bloods in my veins.

Campanella
English 3

This is an amazing book. It shows a hard physical and mental struggle DaShaun (main character) had to go through. A mental struggle of what’s right and what the gang thinks is right. He was a legit gang member at the age of 9. The first time he held a gun and shot it at a person. He is a young Blood. He doesn’t really know what’s going on is life. And besides the fact that he is miles away from his mother, and he doesn’t even know his
Neish Mcelveen
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Kept me at the edge of my seat wanting more. A must read
Cheri Bauer
It was insightful. I hope that the author wins his battle (with his demons). This book was not focused on redemption (as it seems), rather, it seemed to glorify the tough-guy-ness (which, understandably, can be hard to shed after having put on that persona for so long). It is heartbreaking that anyone ever lived this (including every single person involved in it).

I would not recommend this book to kids who may have a romanticism about gang life, I think it may encourage it. I would recommend di
Izabela
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nook
This was a great read, until about two thirds in, when it slowed down and seemed to derail from the original story. The ending left me wondering what had happened, where such an interesting memoir went wrong. I would have easily given the book 4 or 5 stars, had it kept the pace it set in the beginning.
Sondra Wilson
Sep 21, 2009 rated it liked it
This is not the story of his redemption. This is the story of everything leading to it. DaShaun's tale is torturous but honest. There is less emotional outpouring and more just telling it like it was for him as a gang banger on the streets of various cities. It's not pretty but a look worth taking into a world you may know nothing about.
Adam
Dec 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
Horrible book. I got it for $3 from a clearance bin at B&N. I actually put it in the trash. I'd normally have donated it but I felt like I had to protect society from this. This book may be the single argument I can think of in support of book burning.
James Witherspoon
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the author really pours his soul in this bio. You get a good story of everything he faced that shaped him to be the kind of person he is now. Defiantly a good book for those who love a good trial and tribulation story.
Trish
Nov 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great for my students- story about a man who is involved in the gang life and blows his opportunity at the NFL because of his lifestyle.
Gerri
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I luv how honest and real Jiwe is in his book.
Nikki
Sep 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
I learned many things while reading this book--one being that if we perservere and remain diligent, we can turn our downfalls into glories.
Kiara
May 22, 2009 is currently reading it
i just started reading this book and it was recomanded to me by one of my classmates and i started to read it but not enough to explain what is going on but when i do i would give u another update
Kyle
Jan 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazingly candid and sometimes self-critical portrayal of the social and emotional causes of gang life.
Brunel paul
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
What i learned from this book is that even though you start your life out bad you can still change it in a long run
Tracie
I would not have made it in a gang.
Lisa Scribner
Apr 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Amazing catalog of one man's descent into gang life and everything that goes with it
Stephan
Jul 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dumbest book ever read. Nothing more than a gangbanger's campfire tales of killing.
Tyquashia
So far this book is good. its so street i love it.
Wendy Gonzalez
  • Once a King, Always a King: The Unmaking of a Latin King
  • The Long Walk to Freedom: Runaway Slave Narratives
  • The Day My Brain Exploded
  • Criminal of Poverty: Growing Up Homeless in America
  • Island Practice: Cobblestone Rash, Underground Tom, and Other Adventures of a Nantucket Doctor
  • Runaway Girl: Escaping Life on the Streets, One Helping Hand at a Time
  • The Tender Hour of Twilight: Paris in the '50s, New York in the '60s: A Memoir of Publishing's Golden Age
  • Autobiography of a Recovering Skinhead
  • Exposed: Confessions of a Wedding Photographer: A Memoir
  • A Bolt from the Blue: The Epic True Story of Danger, Daring, and Heroism at 13,000 Feet
  • The Weight of Silence: Invisible Children of India
  • How Does It Feel to Be a Problem?: Being Young and Arab in America
  • Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave / Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
  • Sua Santità
  • Not a Genuine Black Man: Or, How I Claimed My Piece of Ground in the Lily-White Suburbs