Start by marking “Breathing Room: Letting Go So You Can Fully Live” as Want to Read:

Breathing Room: Letting Go So You Can Fully Live

Published October 7th 2014 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published September 30th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Breathing Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breathing Room

Start your review of Breathing Room: Letting Go So You Can Fully Live
Beth
My heart appreciates this book, big time. I've always had trouble with things feeling hard when I have a "good life." As if I have no right to feel sad, burdened, what have you, because nothing should be wrong. Life is hard, and Tankersley asserts that giving oneself permission to lean into the hard things, while still appreciating life's goodness, is not only doable, but life-changing. She is vulnerable with her struggles and invites the reader to be vulnerable with themselves as well. I was up ...more
Maryann
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Wonderfully honest, Leeana does not pretend to "have it all together". This book is very refreshing in that it is not a book about improving yourself in some way or striving for perfection (like so many books are these days!) but promotes a gentle attitude towards oneself. Encouragement, that is how I would sum it up. Something one will perhaps dip into again, now and then.
Amanda
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and lovely. Tankersley takes the reader through her own struggled in a way that resonates with my spirit and draws me closer to God. And the writing is gorgeous.
Nora St Laurent
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’m thankful for the review copy of a book that introduced me to Leeana Tankersky who is transparent, real, and gives practical ways for us to address the things that have us bound, and breathless. She says, “Breathing room was available when and only when – “I faced the very thing I didn’t want to face…I could no longer dismiss or override what I was feeling…I wasn’t doing well. This was a personal abandonment, a betrayal. We know it’s not ok to bully other people, but somehow we forgot – or ne ...more
Sharee
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every once in awhile a book comes along that is truly exceptional. A perfect rating does not seem like a good enough way to commend the author. Every once in awhile a book comes along that has the reader talking back to the book while reading it; maybe with replies of, “Amen! Absolutely! Finally, someone understands!” Every once awhile a book comes along and makes the reader feel like they are meeting one on one with the author. Breathing Room is that book.

Often Christian books are e
Narita
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Too often I have approached life’s crises and frustrations like a Sumo wrestler. I am going to overcome whatever I face and continue to juggle all the plates of responsibility in my life. Of course it never worked that way and I resorted to accusing myself of being a substandard Christian, wife, mother, pastor’s wife. In reality, my view was not . . . well reality! I was doing it in my own strength and leaving Christ out! Without Him I can do nothing!
This book helped me look back in the past, i
Jocelyn Green
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
I adored this book. Leeana Tankersley goes out on a limb (a whole tree of them, actually) in sharing her most vulnerable spots with us, and the raw emotion surrounding them. True to its title, reading Breathing Room really did fill my lungs with air and encourage me to calm down, slow down, and to not be so unreasonably hard on myself for feeling stress though my life is full of blessings. I love this quote from early on in the book: "Let's talk about how we are both blessed and struggling.Strug ...more
Hallie Szott
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-review
This review is also posted on Book by Book.

In Breathing Room, Leeana Tankersley writes about the hard times in life when it becomes metaphorically hard to breathe and the importance of making space to both inhale and exhale. Honestly and vulnerably, Tankersley addresses her personal struggles in the midst of her blessed life and how she worked to overcome and let go. Breathing Room is well-written, real and applicable, with added moments of lighthearted humor. Inspirational and encouraging,
Megan
This was an okay book and I liked it somewhat. Maybe I'm not the target audience for it, since I'm not a mom, because I didn't get a whole lot out of this. Even so, I'm glad I read it.

I received a complimentary copy of this book to review. I was asked to give my honest opinion of the book - which I have done.
Jenelle Chadwick
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book! Most chapters are short, a bonus for busy people, but they're packed! I appreciate how Leeana relates her own experiences to her discoveries of truth, truth which is applicable to each of our lives. It covers the lessons she's learned about self-care and I found them incredibly relevant to my life.

This is one of my favorite quotes, which currently soothes me greatly: "Sometimes it's OK to just not know, to not know the end from the beginning, to not underst
Sherry
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wanted to say thank you for a copy of a beautifully written book that was presented to me at the moment I most needed to hear the words. I was in the depth of a major depression that took two years to clear and equally as long to read the book because of it - I couldn't retain information. It offered a sanctuary from oppressive negative thoughts, practical ideas, and a "me too" feeling that allowed me to feel normal and okay. Thank you.
Deitra
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book!!! She is a gifted storyteller with deep meaning that I could relate to, even though her circumstances and stage of life are different than mine. I underlined so many meaningful thoughts that drew me closer to Jesus. I am sad to have this book end and will definitely be reading more of her writing.
Kayla Roth
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read Begin Again by her last year and thought on it all through the spring and summer months. A book I was reading referenced this book so I ordered it remembering how much I liked her style... but I would recommend 5/5 Begin Again over this one👍🏼
KH
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and the fresh perspectives it offers in terms of finding God in the ordinary and every day life. It's authentic and at the same time, because of the writer's location (where most of her stories were based), there is an air of mystery that just makes me want to continue reading.
Lynne Lorentsen
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm such a fan of this memoir-sheesh- it's gorgeous and honest. I wish for a better word than honest because there are so many layers of it that this author made me understand better, with gaping pulsing hope. Read this book with your favorite colored gel pen handy.
Judith Mathew
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have ever read. Seriously, life changing! No matter what you are going through in life or maybe you just feel like you are going through the motions, you can take something away from this book!
KRIS BINNINGER
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Not into the self help books but she had a few good points towards the end of the book.
Ashley
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written. Encouraging. Inspiring.
Susan
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
some really strong points and heartfelt stories here. I recommend reading it over time as individual stories, not cover to cover like i did b/c some parts got repetitive, but it is probably related to how I consumed it.
A.C. Cuddy
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“AN INVITATION TO BREATHE. Catastrophe or no catastrophe, if you are unhinged, disoriented, suffocating, or otherwise generally dragging, I'm inviting you to pull up a chair at this table . . .

Breathing Room is a beautiful release of self-condemnation, a discovery of the rest that comes when we offer ourselves some space to breathe. Vulnerable and winsome, Leeana Tankersley shows you how to stop beating yourself up, how to be radically on your own team, and how to truly experience grace. If you've been putti
Janice Garey
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review Title: Let Go: Breathe the Freshness of Life (review of Breathing Room by Leeana Tankersley)
Reviewer: Janice S. Garey
***** 5 Stars

This book is about modern life in the fast lane, slow lane, and off the road while trying to find the right lane so that one can sail and enjoy the beauty God put into the world for us to enjoy along the way. I really appreciated the author's perspective on what helps those who have for one reason or another been sidelined and feel so ov
Jalynn Patterson
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

Leeana Tankersley, like so many of us, began to feel overwhelmed by life. And like so many of us, she assumed she was struggling not because life is inherently difficult but because she was personally failing in some way. She knows firsthand what it is to bully yourself, to put yourself down for not being able to keep it all together, to compare yourself to others and find yourself lacking. But she's also discovered that all of the hurt and hostility and pain only add
Victor Gentile
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Leeana Tankersley in her new book, “Breathing Room” published by Revell teaches us Letting Go So You Can Fully Live.

From the Back Cover: AN INVITATION TO BREATHE

Catastrophe or no catastrophe, if you are unhinged, disoriented, suffocating, or otherwise generally dragging, I’m inviting you to pull up a chair at this table . . .

Deanna Wiseburn
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book caught me from the introduction, I found myself sharing pictures of quotes. It is a much-needed book, a combination of recovery and Christianity, Leeana Tankersley has reached out to a population that is often ignored. Most Christian living books offer helpful advice, yet many come from a perspective of having it all together. This book is different in the fact that it approaches things from a recovery standpoint. What I mean by recovery isn’t just a recovery from addictions, although ...more
Cheri Swalwell
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had the privilege of reading Breathing Room by Leeana Tankersley. I think a lot of women especially will be able to relate to the struggles that Ms. Tankersley experienced. I loved how she started out the book and didn’t dwell so much on her struggles (although allowed the reader a peak into what she was dealing with in her daily life so we could sympathize and relate to each other) but instead allowed the reader to feel “safe” to feel whatever feelings he/she wanted to regarding our own perso ...more
Shirley
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
by Leeana Tankersley

Publ: Revell c.2014

Leeana opens this book by saying that the opposite of holding your breath is not inhaling but exhaling. She then proceeds to show you how she walked from a place of holding her breath emotionally, mentally and spiritually to learning to exhale in the Hard places of life, allowing you to see all the dark places she had to walk through before she learned to breath.
She lead
Jacqueline
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Breathing Room is an encouraging book by Leeana Tankersley—words that help a person who is in a time of self-condemnation, a time of inability to cope, or a time of struggling to manage life. She calls these times, the Hard. She relates her own struggles when her family moved to Bahrain for her husband’s job as a Navy SEAL. She has been through the difficult times and confronted the toxic voices that attack with accusations of inadequacy and failure. The story of her experiences in itself is an ...more
Valerie Sisco
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Leeana Tankersley honestly and tenderly explores the idea of offering ourselves space to breathe in her new book, Breathing Room. She finds herself overwhelmed after moving to Bahrain with her three small children to join her husband who is stationed there for the Navy.

She writes deeply about her feelings. Wondering why she’s coming apart at the seams, even when her life is good.

She bravely writes about courage. Clinging to it through her turbulent days as a mother, wif
Alyssa
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
"Catastrophe or no catastrophe, if you are unhinged, disoriented, suffocating, or otherwise generally dragging, I'm inviting you to pull up a chair at this table.
It doesn't really matter to me what the outside of your life looks like. If the inside of you is struggling, this is your book, baby. I'm your girl."
(pg 15)

It was a blessing to feel normal for feeling lost and confused for no real reason, other than life. I think many a mom could use this reminder. Heck, any WOMAN could use
Jessie
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book's emphasis on giving yourself the space and the grace to live life at a slower pace, and it came at a very appropriate, necessary time in my life. It was a gentle reminder and encouragement to slow down and focus on what's important without worrying and hustling through life.

• The Edge of Over There
  • Ripple Effects: Discover the Miraculous Motivating Power of a Woman's Influence
  • Bread and Wine: A Love Letter to Life Around the Table with Recipes
  • The Beginning of the End of Abortion: 40 Inspiring Stories of God Changing Hearts and Saving Lives
  • Choose Joy: Because Happiness Isn't Enough
  • Randomize
  • Emergency Skin
  • Summer Frost
  • Awakened: Change Your Mindset to Transform Your Teaching
  • The Prophetess: Deborah's Story (Daughters of the Promised Land, #2)
  • Sacred Rhythms: Arranging Our Lives for Spiritual Transformation
  • The Awakened Devotional Study Guide for Christian Educators

Leeana Tankersley is the author of Breathing Room and holds English degrees from Liberty University and West Virginia University. She and her husband, Steve, are currently stationed in San Diego, California, with their three children: Luke, Lane, and Elle. Leeana writes about living from the spacious place on her blog, www.leeanatankersley.com.
“Show me a day when the world wasn’t new. —Sister Barbara Hance” 1 likes