Start by marking “The Brickmaker's Bride (Refined by Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Brickmaker's Bride (Refined by Love, #1)

The Brickmaker's Bride (Refined by Love #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  980 Ratings  ·  164 Reviews
Yearning for a fresh start, Ewan McKay travels with his aunt and uncle from northern Scotland to West Virginia, promising to trade his skills in the clay business for financial assistance from his uncle Hugh. Hugh purchases a brickmaking operation from a Civil War widow and her daughter, but it's Ewan who gets the business up and running again. Ewan seeks help from Laura, ...more
Published October 7th 2014 by Bethany House Publishers (first published September 30th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Brickmaker's Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brickmaker's Bride

Courtney
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
This story was slow to begin with, but became increasingly enticing to the point where I could not put it down. I feel like the ending was incomplete, I wanted- for lack of a better word- more. I wanted to know more than what I was told; however, I feel like the author conveyed God's grace and mercy in a way that many don't. Mrs. Miller did not hand everything to characters within this novel, they learned quickly that God doesn't always answer yes to our prayers, that sometimes the answer may ve ...more
Paula-O
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Series Refined by Love book#1 "The Brickmaker's Bride", written by Judith McCoy Miller

This was a story of irish imigrants coming to America to fulfil a dream and also of a family that had know wealth but tempered it by their wanting to help others. I enjoyed seeing the compassion of Laura.
Rough and tumble Irishman Ewan McKay had a heart for people but I felt he let his uncle take advantage of him, on more then one occasion.
Ewan knew the brickmaking business but his uncle had the money to financ
Joleen
Up until 2:00 am to finish this, so it's too late to write an adequate review. Will write more tomorrow.

Okay, I've had time to think about this book.

Title: Gives the ending away... just saying

Clean: Good morals, more or less a Christian book, but no Gospel that I can recall

Conflict: Meh, not enough time, or detail, or feeling around any of them. Nothing kept me on the edge of my seat to see what would happen

Main Characters:
Laura, daughter of a West Virginia brickyard owner (who died in the Civi
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“In the Clay-Rich Hill of the Newly Founded State of West Virginia, Tow Families Tentatively Come Together to Rebuild a War-Torn Brickmaking Business.
Ewan McKay has immigrated to West Virginia with his aunt and uncle, promising to trade his skills in the clay business for financial help. Uncle Hugh purchases a brickmaking operation from a Civil War widow and her daughter, and it’s Ewan’s job to get the company up and running again.
Ewan seeks help from Laura, the former owner’s
Reet Champion
Laura Woodfield is living in a world far different from the one she grew up in. With her father dead and the States attempting to recover in the wake of the Civil War Laura and her mother need to make wise decisions. And seeking the family brickyard is logical. Enter Ewan McKay. Scotch-Irish Ewan wants the new-found business venture with his spendthrift uncle to succeed for more reasons than one. If successful he can finally bring his sisters over from Ireland. But as he encounters obstacles at ...more
Lisa Johnson
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely enjoyed this story set in 1868, taking place in West Virginia and focusing on a widow with a grown daughter. Laura is a young woman whose father was killed during the Civil War, but knows how to run a brick making business in all aspects. Laura and her mother enjoy a very close, open and honest relationship that drew me further into the story. Laura is very honest with her speaking and sometimes that really tends to irk her friend Winston. While Laura’s mother gave permission for Wi ...more
Patti
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I got this book free from Bethany House for my honest review. And honestly, I loved it!! It really was a great story. I learned more about brickmaking than I ever knew I wanted to know..LOL.. but I enjoyed learning it! Who knew color mattered? Or how it was smoked? I loved learning about it. The characters are larger than life. Some miserable - others down right lovable!! You can feel their hurt and pain and joy and love. It is well written and a nice read. It involves the hard decisions we need ...more
Meagan Myhren-bennett
The Brickmaker’s Bride
Refined by Love
By Judith Miller

The Woodfield Brickworks has been known for its quality and reliability. But with the death of the owner Isaiah Woodfield in the War between the States the brickyard has been idle, awaiting a new owner.

When Hugh Crothers and his nephew Ewan McKay show an interest in purchasing her father's brickyard Laura Woodfield insists on meeting them. Ewan shows an understanding unlike his brusque and profit-seeking uncle.

The sale of the brickyard sees E
ASC Book Reviews
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I probably would have given this one 3 and a half stars if I could have, but I think it was more towards 4 than 3 :)

A nice easy, read for me personally, and I really enjoyed it! It flows along in a nice steady pace, holds great twists, and fabulous characters! There were a few things that I felt didn't wrap up and were kind of left up in the air, but I hope they will be concluded as the series goes on. :) I for one can't wait for more with some of my favorite characters as the leads! One of the
Maureen Timerman
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This story is set in a reconstruction America, the Civil War has finally ended, and the country is trying to recover. Laura Woodfield’s father was a casualty of the war, and now her mother wants to sell their brickyard.
We have Irish immigrants who become interested in purchasing this business, and a young man Ewan McKay who desperately wants the business to succeed; he wants to bring his sisters to America.
The theme of the story is part romance, and part answering to God for sins. The money to
Oct 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked THE BRIDEMAKER’S BRIDE, but I didn't like it. I liked Ewan and Laura. I didn’t like Laura’s suitor (why did she choose him?) or Ewan’s relatives. The storyline is intriguing. Especially why was Laura – a proper lady – so involved in the brick-making business? Why was their brick field the only one Ewan’s aunt would consider? Why did she insist on wanting Laura’s home? Was that part of the sale of the business? If so, why didn’t they ever tour the house? So many questions. I am iffy about ...more
Nancy Reynolds
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was a good story with good characters; well written and easy to follow. I like that it addressed problems that some of the early immigrants faced being accepted into a new country. I like that the 'villains' were realistic (I've met people like them). This was one of the better historical romances that I have read. I plan to read more of Judith Miller's works and I am looking forward to purchasing her Amana Colony series, as I visited there when I was a small child.
Donna
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bricks

I think I learned more about brick making than I ever wanted to. This is a sweet story and not overly preachy.
Wendy
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-i-read
BACK OF THE BOOK BLURB
(copied from Amazon.com)
In the clay-rich hills of the newly founded state of West Virginia, two families tentatively come together to rebuild a war-torn brickmaking business.

Ewan McKay has immigrated to West Virginia with his aunt and uncle, promising to trade his skills the clay business for financial help. Uncle Hugh purchases a brickmaking operation from a Civil War widow and her daughter, and it's Ewan's job to get the company up and running again.

Ewan seeks help from L
Patricia Bond
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THE BRICKMAKER'S BRIDE (REFINED BY LOVE #1) BY JUDITH MILLER

The year is 1868 and the Civil War is over. Ewan Mc Kay, his uncle and aunt have immigrated from Northern Scotland. Ewan has come to America to help his Uncle Hugh to run a brickyard that he wishes to purchase from Laura and her mother, whose husband died in the Civil War.
Laura helps Ewan to obtain the necessary contacts to get his uncle's business running, but once the business operating can Ewan keep his uncle from losing it because o
Mary
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Only with God's help can we be made whole after being wounded. Margaret and Hugh, Irish immigrants, along with their nephew, his sisters and Margaret's sister, move to West Virginia in hopes of bettering their life. But the way they want to accomplish it is by rising to high social acceptance and making money no matter who gets hurt. Hurt people hurt people. Nephew Ewan, knows the Lord intimately and wants to rely on Him to guide their decisions and lives. While his Uncle purchases a brick makin ...more
Tenesia
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I often find myself reading the same authors over and over. The Brickmaker's Bride was recommended by my library and even though I had never read anything by Judith Miller I decided to give it a try. It was published by Bethany House and I truly admire their work and the authors they choose to publish so I knew it would be worthwhile.
As the story begins, we find two Scottish kinsmen wanting a new life in West Virginia and our heroines, Laura and her mother wanting to sell the family brick busin
Karen Davis
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Story of An Irish Brickmaker Falling in Love in West Virginia

I liked the idea of an Irish brickmaker in West Virginia. So I decided to read this book despite it being a Christian romance. I enjoyed reading it very much as the story and characters unfolded in the post Civil War era. I laughed at some characters, felt sad for others, and mad at some others. A good light read for me.
Gramy
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it

The premise, believable characters, and the place of the story were solid. But it took way too long to get past all the negativity and move on to the hope.

The main male character was characterized precisely as many men of the era acted. He was egotisical, controlling, and unbearable. Laura deserved so much more.

Ewan was a hard working, studious, and compassionate person, who was taken advantage of by his aunt and uncle.

It was a good read, but I just was not overjoyed by it.
Gail
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ewan McKay leaves his orphaned sisters in Scotland to come to West Virginia with his uncle and aunt and their children to purchase a brickmaking business. Ewan is the brains and the brawn behind the business, but his aunt and uncle are determined to keep him down. The business is owned by a widow and her daughter Laura knows much about the business and helps Ewan keep things going. I really enjoy this book.
Lynette
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Christian romance story ... pretty predictable. Again, it’s like watching a hallmark movie, but instead of lasting for an hour and a half, it takes a couple of days to see how they get you to the ending you already know is coming.
A distraction I’m willing to indulge in.
Cathy Bickerstaff
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good historical fiction

As usual, Judith Miller delivered a well written historical novel. I like historical fiction to truly be historical, and I will say that I learned more about brick making than I ever expected. This is a good thing.
Marci
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh. Fine story line but horribly cheesy conversations and no development of characters.
Heather
I enjoyed this book right up until the rushed haphazard ending. Predictable read but good none the less.
Megan
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
OK read but it wasn't riveting. Annoying antagonist. Not her best.
Hsgramof4
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable Story

I enjoyed this book and the true sweetness of the main characters. Its a nice break reading about people that have good hearts, and don't keep secrets.
Lisa Yunger
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Was good. Well written. Learned a lot about brick making in the 19th century.
Jennifer Covington
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Good simple sweet read. Simple twists to keep it interesting. Definite character development for follow up stories. Good for a quick vacation read.
Emma Jane
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
terribly writing. also a lot of typos
Noelia
Mar 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It could have been an interesting novel about Irish immigrants in 19th century America, but the characters development was weak (to say the least). Did not like it.
  • Playing by Heart
  • Love's Fortune (The Ballantyne Legacy, #3)
  • A Bride in Store (Unexpected Brides, #2)
  • Where Treetops Glisten: Three Stories of Heartwarming Courage and Christmas Romance During World War II
  • A Sensible Arrangement (Lone Star Brides #1)
  • Tried and True (Wild at Heart, #1)
  • Out of the Ruins (Golden Gate Chronicles #1)
  • Captured by Love (Michigan Brides, #3)
  • Surprised by Love (The Heart of San Francisco, #3)
  • A Family for Christmas (Texas Grooms, #3)
  • The Imposter (Legacy of Love #3)
  • Anna's Crossing (Amish Beginnings #1)
  • The Quaker and the Rebel (Civil War Heroines, #1)
  • A Promise in Pieces (Quilts of Love, #17)
  • Miracle in a Dry Season (Appalachian Blessings, #1)
  • Where Courage Calls (Return to the Canadian West #1)
  • Sincerely Yours
  • The Reluctant Duchess (Ladies of the Manor, #2)
Judith McCoy Miller is an award-winning author whose avid research and love for history are reflected in her bestselling novels. Judy and her husband make their home in Topeka, Kansas.
More about Judith McCoy Miller

Refined by Love (3 books)
  • The Potter's Lady (Refined by Love, #2)
  • The Artisan's Wife (Refined by Love #3)
“Mrs. Woodfield chuckled. “You can’t seem to keep your foot out of your mouth, Winston. I do hope your shoe leather is tasty.” 1 likes
“The adversity at the brickyard was a reminder to me that love and bricks both need a slow, steady burn in order to become strong and withstand the test of time. I promise to tend the fire of love between us and never let it go out.” 0 likes