Start by marking “A Most Inconvenient Marriage (Ozark Mountain Romance, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Most Inconvenient Marriage (Ozark Mountain Romance, #1)

A Most Inconvenient Marriage

(Ozark Mountain Romance #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  2,112 Ratings  ·  344 Reviews
A Marriage of Convenience Turns Most Inconvenient in this Historical Charmer

Published December 2nd 2014 by Bethany House Publishers (first published November 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Most Inconvenient Marriage, please sign up.
Emyrose8 I really enjoyed "A Most Inconvenient Marriage". The story is a lot different than a lot of other similar romances! The second one in this series is…moreI really enjoyed "A Most Inconvenient Marriage". The story is a lot different than a lot of other similar romances! The second one in this series is also good, though it took me longer to warm up to the characters (in "At Love's Bidding") than it did for the one I previously mentioned.(less)

Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
The unusual plot made this story one that was hard to put down! Abigail and Jeremiah are both determined and stubborn, and it was fun to see their personalities clash before they began to work together for his family and the farm. There are complicated family dynamics with Jeremiah's grown sister who is dying and making everyone miserable with her, a sweet-hearted mother who is devoted to both Jeremiah and Abigail, and a community still dealing with the dangerous aftermath of war. Balancing out ...more
Paula Vince
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favourite books of the year, and we're into December.

Abigail Stuart is a war nurse who makes an agreement to marry a dying soldier who calls himself Jeremiah Calhoun. She's estranged from her family and needs a new home, and he claims to need a nurse to care for his ailing sister, and a competent horse woman to help with the family business. Abigail will have to break the news of his death to his fiance, but he's sure she'll understand. Everything seems to be going to plan, whe
Lyssa
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, hardcopy
I have been waiting for what feels like an eternity for this book, and Ms. Jennings did not disappoint; her excellence is as consistent as ever. This novel has it all- history, romance, Christian and moral elements, adventure, personal growth, humor, everything.

I loved every moment of this book.

I was frequently bursting out laughing over the shenanigans and antics that the Huckabee kids got into. I will admit that I don’t usually like children as supporting characters in this genre. They rarel
Aerykah
Super great book! I just wish Laurel hadn't been so... wishy-washy. And I did get kinda annoyed at Jeremiah there toward the end too. But still a great book!
Hannah
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book so much that I waltzed out and bought the paperback after reading the ebook!
I could have sworn I reviewed this already, but I guess I just left it on the Nook site instead of here.
Abigail is a young woman in a tight enough spot that she's willing to take a chance on Jeremiah Calhoun's deathbed proposal, especially since it makes him so much happier. After the marriage and his death, she leaves her work as a nurse and goes to the Ozarks farm where his mother and sister live.
Cindi
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Pretty good book. I had a difficult time getting into the story though. There were some parts that really grabbed my attention like when Jeremiah comes home to find that he is "married" and the times with the bushwhackers. I thought Abigail's secret was kind of lame and it was silky that she kept her secret so guarded. Laurel also bothered me because she was Jeremiah's sweetheart before he goes off to war but she obviously fell in love with the local doctor while Jeremiah was gone. When Dr. Hopk ...more
Karen
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable up to the end!
Peppered with witty dialogue and southern phrases, it made me laugh out loud many times. Probably not a book you'd want to read if you need to be quiet. Had me guessing at poor Abigail's fate--what a great heroine-- hardworking, with a positive outlook, wanting what's best for everyone, keeping her promise to the dying soldier no matter what it cost her. The Civil War history of Missouri was interesting also, pitting neighbor against neighbor, and not really
Melanie
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-read
I loved A Most Inconvenient Marriage! The characters were endearing, the romance was sweet, and the writing was great. I loved the ending and thought things wrapped up well.

I liked how the book starts off with you thinking something, which ends up not being the case later on. It was really fun and made the story quite interesting for me. :)

All in all, I loved this book and recommend it!

*I received a complimentary copy of this book for my honest review. As always, all thoughts and opinions expres
Anne Osterlund
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Abigail is a Civil War nurse with no home to go back to after the war. When a dying patient named Jeremiah asks her to marry him, offering her his horse farm in the Ozarks in exchange for the promise that she will care for his mother and ill sister, Abigail agrees.

And after his death, off to the Ozarks she goes. Then promptly sets about winning over everyone who thinks she has no business being there whatsoever. She’s about achieved it too.

When Jeremiah Calhoun shows up at the door. Not dead. An
Vannetta Chapman
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a sweet love story! I was looking for a light, fun read, and this certainly fit the bill. There were still moments of action and tension, and I loved the details that made the historical aspect realistic.

Nice job, Regina Jennings!
Recommended for fans of clean historical fiction.
Amy
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
It works like this....
I'm at the library and I spot a Christian Romance Novel. I know cognitively that I will not enjoy it. I know that it will tick me off with needless physical adoration and random Bible verses. But then I read the plot and I think, 'oh, but that sounds so promising! Maybe I should try it after all.'
And then I read it and get frustrated just like I knew I would.
All that basically being my experience with A Most Inconvenient Marriage. The author could have done someth
Emilee
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun book. There was never a dull moment or a slow part. I enjoy books about horses and that was Abagail's love. Abigail was a strong character I never got frustrated with her as I sometimes do with a heroin. She was smart, quick witted and had a sweet spirit about her. The hero, Jeremiah, was soldier who comes home from war with expectations that just aren't realistic. Not to mention a women who claims to be his wife. I thought this book was comical but not too silly. It has a ...more
Sarah Sundin
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another delightful novel by Regina Jennings. Abigail and Jeremiah are strong characters, believable, flawed, and likable. I truly wanted these two hurting people to find happiness with each other. And the humor! The incidents with the skunks and the pie dough…well, you just have to read them yourself! I loved this story and highly recommend it.
Julia Wilson
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Most Inconvenient Marriage by Regina Jennings is a Christian historical romance. It is a highly amusing read that had me smiling over some of the situations portrayed. It was a comedy of errors with various plots and match making.
Abigail nurses the injured prisoners during the American Civil War. On his deathbed Jeremiah Calhoun marries her, leaving her his ranch and horses, and extracting a promise that she will nurse his sister Rachel, and take care of his mother. Following the war, Abigail
Kate (The Shelf Life)
4.5

This the third book I've read by Regina Jennings and I have to say, I keep liking each new book more then the last. The writing is smooth and the story flows. Plus, Regina has the ability to take a well known type of story and put a new twist on it and give it a fresh feel.

I've read many marriage of convince stories, this is the first inconvenient marriage story and I have to say, it was pulled off beautifully. It had a very realistic feel to how it was done. Having the Civil War as a backdro
Noela
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Regina Jennings’ books never disappoint, but this one just blew me away! Unique as always; intriguing as ever; but it was also beyond riveting, thereby making it impossible to put down. So my advice is not to plan on doing much once you begin reading! There were smiles, tears, and an incredibly satisfying feeling upon finishing that you've just read a great book.

It seemed simple at the time. Grant a dying soldier’s wish by marrying him so as to inherit his family’s property. She finally had some
Caitlyn Santi
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After reading a novella by this author several months ago and really enjoying it, I was very much looking forward to reading more of her books! I was not disappointed with this book! It has been a while since I read a book with a main female character that I really liked and could really relate to, but Abigail was absolutely that heroine! I loved how strong (Some might even say stubborn) she was, how determined she was to make sure everyone else was taken care of without a thought for herself, a ...more
Reet Champion
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Abigail Stuart has just developed a knack for getting herself into the most amusing and annoying situations. When she accepts the marriage proposal of a dying soldier, Jeremiah Calhoun, with the promise to care for his ailing sister little does Abigail know she has been hoodwinked. After delivering the sad news of her husband's death to his family Abigail is welcome (somewhat) into the family and she soon begins efforts to get their farm back into shape -starting with the horses she dearly loved ...more
Kav
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know it was possible to swoon while convulsing with laughter until I read A Most Inconvenient Marriage! What an incredible mix of gripping emotion and light-hearted humour. I was in a tizzy of ecstasy the whole read!

Jeremiah is exasperating in his cluelessness when it comes to women and that makes him endearing in an irritating sort of way. LOL And Abigail is pure stubbornness -- so determined to do it all alone. What an ill-fated pair, especially when you take into account the unusual
Anna Hurtt
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was an absolute delight to read! So entertaining, from beginning to end.

I loved the chemistry between the main characters... There were several times I laughed out loud at some of their shenanigans. In fact, all the characters were well-developed and each brought their own flavor to the story.

The tension was thick and well-sustained, keeping me reading late into the night. Also, the author wasn't afraid to tackle the tough questions and issues that took place as the nation began to reb
Susan Snodgrass
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A most interesting book, I tell you this. Abigail Stuart marries a dying man in a Civil War hospital and goes leaves for his home when he passes. No one welcomes her and a short while later her dead 'husband' shows up. Very much alive.

All sorts of entanglements show up, but maybe Abigail and Jeremiah really do care for each other.

This book has some seriously funny dry humor. Found myself laughing out loud several times. Enjoyed it very much.
Haley S
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, romance
Read two of her novellas so I decided to read one of her novels! This one was pretty good!! I can't wait to read more by her.
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Having fled a difficult home life, Civil War nurse Abigail Stuart feels like her only friend in the world is sweet but gravely wounded patient Jeremiah Calhoun. Fearing he won't survive, the Confederate soldier's last wish is that Abigail look after his sickly sister at home. Marry him, return to his horse farm, and it'll be hers.
Left with few choices, Abigail takes him up on his offer and moves to Missouri after his death, but just as the family learns to accept her, the real
Yvette
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need to read more Regina Jennings. Based on this book, she may become a favorite. It has the right combination of drama, humor, romance and well integrated faith that I look for in Inspirational Romance. I didn't even mind the love triangle/quadrangle thing that was going on as it was not the sole source of conflict.

This is a post American Civil War love story set in the Ozarks, with tensions high among neighbors who supported differing sides. Bushwackers and other ne'er-do-wells are roaming t
Sarah Ruut
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What begins as a kind offer to care for the sister of her favorite patient quickly turns into a fiasco when Abigail discovers that her patient must not have been who he claimed to be. Now that she is settled into this new family and truly wants to stay and fulfill her deathbed promise to the young soldier, how does she handle the arrival of the real Jeremiah Calhoun?

Jeremiah was injured during the war and wants nothing more than to return to him farm and attempt to resume the life he had prior t
Maureen Timerman
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
We have a young woman who left home, and became a nurse in the Civil War. She is attracted more than usual to one young dying man, and her heart makes her marry this fellow and go to his home to take care of his very ill sister and her mother.
Sounds like something any caring young woman would do? No, this is a different time, and she has no home to return to, so she appears at her new families home to nurse and help return the farm to profitability. Ok, can you imagine a mother and sister greete
Brittany
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love it when a book is as great on the inside as it is on the outside! That is definitely the case with A Most Inconvenient Marriage. The cover is beautiful, with a playfulness that hints at the funny moments in the story. And if you take a look at the smile on the model, it is sweet, yet not a full, wide smile. I believe the expression fits the heroine, Abigail Stuart, very nicely.

Abigail has some secrets in her past, and has known her share of sorrow. But things seem to be improving for her
JoJo Sutis
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What happens when a marriage of convenience is suddenly not so convenient? Find out in Regina’s newest novel…
This story is rich in historical detail and full of charm and humor- everything I love about the previous works of this talented author. She has done a fabulous job creating a setting that is so real and vivid and powerful.
Abigail is so selfless and such a giving character, but it was so interesting to see things turn out so much differently than she expected.
My heart went out to Jeremiah
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
This book was so much fun!!! Jeremiah is the kind of hero that makes me all twitterpated & the dilemma in which he finds himself upon returning home from the War Between the States is the stuff that great love polygons are made of! Betsy and Josiah's antics amped up the hilarious mayhem but some scenes didn't need their help at all to draw a laugh. I'm thinking in particular of the drunk horse and also when Abigail and Jeremiah begin his physical therapy and are caught in an easily-misconstr ...more
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Most Inconvenient Marriage starts off a bit dark--wartime, soldiers suffering, a nurse agreeing to marry a dying man. Abigail needs a family and a dying soldier's family needs a nurse. Not an ideal situation, but beneficial to everyone--right? Except the soldier has a diabolical plan--to make everyone he cares about most . . . happy. What if you married a dying man only to find out he wasn't dead?

Regina writes warm, interesting characters that you can root for along with a few that make you ho
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Dec 27, 2014 02:10PM
  • Love Unexpected (Beacons of Hope, #1)
  • Through the Deep Waters
  • Playing by Heart
  • Circle of Spies (The Culper Ring, #3)
  • In Good Company (A Class of Their Own, #2)
  • A Worthy Pursuit (A Worthy Pursuit, #1)
  • Petticoat Detective (Undercover Ladies, #1)
  • Sadie's Secret (The Secret Lives of Will Tucker, #3)
  • Stuck Together (Trouble in Texas, #3)
  • Beyond All Dreams
  • Plots and Pans
  • The Mistress of Tall Acre
  • The Heart's Pursuit
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation, #2)
  • The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn
  • A Bride for Keeps (Unexpected Brides, #1)
Regina Jennings is a graduate of Oklahoma Baptist University with a degree in English and a history minor. She has worked at The Mustang News and First Baptist Church of Mustang, along with time at the Oklahoma National Stockyards and various livestock shows. She now lives outside Oklahoma City with her husband and four children.

Ozark Mountain Romance (3 books)
  • At Love's Bidding (Ozark Mountain Romance, #2)
  • For the Record (Ozark Mountain Romance #3)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
“Nothing hurts like a hostile farewell.” 3 likes
“I mean, really ponder what God gave you breath for. Most of our suffering means nothing. What are we striving for? To make ourselves more comfortable? To add prestige or honor to our reputation? Buth then you find something - a cause, a person - worth dying for, and you realize that's the best gift God can give you, because until you know what you'd die for, you don't know what you're living for.” 1 likes