Start by marking “The Wilderness: Poems” as Want to Read:
The Wilderness: Poems

The Wilderness: Poems

Moving through myths of the American landscape, the fatalism of American Puritanism, family history, New England winters, aesthetic theory, and the suavities and anxieties of contemporary life, the poems in this astonishing collection ultimately speak about the individual soul’s struggle with its own meaning. “In its stern and quiet way Sandra Lim’s The Wilderness is one o ...more
Published September 22nd 2014 by W. W. Norton Company

To ask other readers questions about The Wilderness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wilderness

Joseph
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A nice collection of poetry with a harsh but subtle tone to it. I liked the battle between spring and snow that works to set back the new beginning and the forest that grows on the periphery. The unknown that calls us.

...
What is death
but reason
in flawless submission
to itself

not reason

something stonier

-Unfluer

A great collection that grows in the reader's imagination and will stay fresh read after read.
Gabriel Congdon
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dope, dope, dope, dope!

What a dope book of poetry. I wasn't ready for language poems to so dissect my brain
After the dissection, the poem should me who I am, they said, 'look at that this stuff. That's you, man.”
All my mental innards, all spayed out on the couch and lap and whatnot. I lookin at the old innards, 'So this is how I bandy about. I would have never guessed.”

I wouldn't have. That's why we have the pomes.

Clearly, it's difficult to convey. Clearly, this review so far isn't slicing the
Jessie Seagull
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
is very good book,
so excelent and beautiful im like
Grace
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Grace by: New Poetry Seminar
The experience of reading this book was like chewing on ice cubes. "Garden Quarrel" was one of the poems that I did enjoy. And there definitely were some really great lines to be found in this collection. However, as a whole this book was rather difficult for me to get through; the poems' voice and content were just not my cup of tea.
James
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, poetry
An amazing collection of poetry; the winner of the Barnard Women Poets Prize. Lim explores the space between our inner and outer selves and the world at large, the unknowability of existence. Stark and beautiful, this collection is highly recommended.
secondwomn
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, library, poetry
quietly sensuous, a kind of walk along a forest edge.
Caroline
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
3 stars

Just a few standout poems. Something about her tone just wasn't connecting for me.

"I wanted to watch the shape / of a movement, / the trajectory of a body as it makes // the shapes that it will in a limited ambit / revolving around an implied center." --from "Rite of Spring"

"Human Interest Story" and "Small Container, Fury" were also favorites.
Melanie
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lim has written a book that is not only beautiful, but is such a great study for the craft of poetry. This is my second time around reading this book and I am simultaneously inspired to write, study the book again for the work it does with line, presenting time/memories through fragmentation, as well as just to contemplate the imagery used. So good.
Terri
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, poetry
A gorgeous, moving collection of poetry. Lim creates amazing, evocative imagery, especially using seemingly barren wild places (snow, desert) to tell gripping, emotional stories. I'll be reading this one again.
Darrin Kramer
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Outstanding poet. She views a harsh world with pure clarity of thought. I really enjoyed a view of the world from another angle, though much different from my writing style.
Leonard
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book of poetry. The poems are consistently interesting and illuminating. They, unlike much good poetry, are also inspiring and a source of ideas for other writings.
Rich
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Provocative, yet understated. The poems stayed with me, sparking an internal probing of where I fit in this world. Memorable.
Jake Marion
Jul 25, 2014
s
Dec 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
“To relieve ourselves of open-ended narrative, we read into the winter stars all evening. There are just stars and stars and stars.” 0 likes
“AMOR FATI Inside every world there is another world trying to get out, and there is something in you that would like to discount this world. The stars could rise in darkness over heartbreaking coasts, and you would not know if you were ruining your life or beginning a real one. You could claim professional fondness for the world around you; the pictures would dissolve under the paint coming alive, and you would only feel a phantom skip of the heart, absorbed so in the colors. Your disbelief is a later novel emerging in the long, long shadow of an earlier one— is this the great world, which is whatever is the case? The sustained helplessness you feel in the long emptiness of days is matched by the new suspiciousness and wrath you wake to each morning. Isn’t this a relationship with your death, too, to fall in love with your inscrutable life? Your teeth fill with cavities. There is always unearned happiness for some, and the criminal feeling of solitude. Always, everyone lies about his life.” 0 likes