Start by marking “Goodnight Already!” as Want to Read:
Goodnight Already!

Goodnight Already!

(Bear & Duck #1)

Meet Bear. He's exhausted. All he wants is to go to sleep. Meet Duck, Bear's persistent next-door neighbor. All he wants is to hang out . . . with Bear.

Jory John, author of All My Friends Are Dead, and Benji Davies join together to create this standout hilarious picture book that will make bedtime memorable.
Published December 2nd 2014 by HarperCollins

Start your review of Goodnight Already!
Eliza
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book appears to be about a bear and a duck, but ACTUALLY is about me and my three-year-old :)

(hint: he's the duck)
Calista
Bear is sleepy and he wants nothing more than to go to sleep. His neighbor, duck, can’t sleep and wants nothing more than to bug the ever-loving crap out of bear. Duck will not relent. Bear gets angry at duck and duck finally goes home and now bear can’t sleep and duck is tired.

It was a cute story. I don’t think it was on the same level as the bad seed or the good egg, but it was amusing. I do like the pink stuffed rabbit bear that the nephew pointed out to me.

The nephew delighted in the antic
Archit Ojha
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Bear wants to get some sleep. And the duck, being a duck and an innocent troublemaker, won't let him sleep. He keeps on pestering him unknowingly.

I had fun reading Goodnight Already because it reminded me of me and my sister whom I'll be teasing and troubling endlessly.

A cute book recommended for Children who have siblings!
Donna Backshall
You know how you read a book, and uh-oh, there's this really annoying character?

And you start to think, "Oh nooo, oh wait, that's me..."

Well, folks, here you have it. Poor Bear is exhausted and just wants to sleep. Clueless Duck is obviously also part owl (night owl, that is), and he is READY TO GO.

Yep, I'm Duck: the one with all that nervous energy who can't slow down and let people rest.

I need to work on that. Soon. Maybe not tonight, because I have laundry, a workout, all this stuff to bake,
Julie
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love how deceptively straightforward this book is. A sleepy bare, a wide-awake duck. But the characters are super strong, and the circular story arc is interesting and relatable enough that I know adults and children alike are going to see themselves in both bear and in duck. Super fun to read aloud, too!
Carmen
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Recommended to Carmen by: New York Times Book Review
Just as Duck has his beak buried in 101 Ways to Stay Awake, his next door neighbor, Bear, is saying

"I've never been so tired. I could sleep for weeks. Months, even!"

But his happy, well-deserved slumber is interrupted by a hyped-up Duck who wants company while he stays up all night.

...

This book is very fun. The book puts Duck's words in a thin, fine print and Bear's in a dark, bold print. When I read it to children I always make Duck's voice high and fast, and Bear's slow and very deep. Bear yell
Mathew
I've read a few of John Jory's books and I always feel, in the best possible way, he has half an eye on the adult reader as much as he does the child reader. In Goodnight Already! Bear, as is naturally the way of his kind, is so tired that he could sleeps for weeks, 'months even' whilst his neighbour, duck is busily reading '101 ways to stay awake' in the house next door.
And so begins a series of repeated interruptions from duck to try and engage his friend in some form of irritating form of pl
Theresa
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pj-story-time
Bear's pretty much my spirit animal. Grumpy when sleep is disturbed? Yep. Love the style of illustrations. Reminds me of Peter Brown's Mr Tiger Goes Wild. The humor reminds me of Mo Willems. The simple but funny story will appeal to kids 4+, and even 3 year olds could get into it if you're very enthusiastic with the voices since the illustrations are so attractive and clear. And it's a story that adults can get a kick out of, especially if they're sleep deprived with a kid. Empathy yawns. It cou ...more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Why I liked this book- This is a cute book. One character wants to sleep, the other doesn’t. A perfect scenario for mischief! I like Bear’s expressions, and Duck’s wild ideas. The story has a hint of an endless cycle, and a lot of fun. The pictures make you smile and laugh. Mr. John and Mr. Davies make a great team together, and it really keeps you on your toes. Just when you think you know what will happen next, you are in for a surprise! :) I love this book!
*NOTE* I got a free copy of this boo
Amanda
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audrey-books
Had to read this so many times Audrey thinks the duck is hilarious and he is
Nice illustrations cute story
Three year old approved
Mehsi
1.5 stars. I had expected way better.

I was really looking forward to this one. I love Benji Davies art, and I had read a few books by Jory John, and I was interested in what the combination of these 2 people would be. Sadly, nothing good. :(

I loved the Bear character, he was really great and I sympathized with him a lot, the poor thing just wants to sleep, and then you got some annoying character named Duck, who just doesn't get the hint, who keeps waking/disturbing the bear.

And that is the bigg
carrietracy
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Love the back and forth between duck and bear. Love the illustrations. My kid says "again" almost immediately after you finish reading it.

My one, small, tiny complaint? Why does duck ask for dough? He's asking for ingredients for making cookies. Flour appears in his bowl. WHY IS HE ASKING FOR DOUGH???? People don't use "dough" if they are also collecting all the other ingredients. /baking hijack.
Margaret Chind
This is quite funny. As a mother of a newborn, toddler and kindergarten child I'm quite familiar with the window if sleepiness that evaporates if you pass your window. This is a silly conversational story about just that.

I received this product free for the purpose of reviewing it. I received no other compensation for this review. The opinions expressed in this review are my personal, honest opinions. Your experience may vary. Please read my full disclosure policy for more details.

Thanks to HC
bjneary
Hysterically funny bedtime book, my granddaughter will find a few ways to get out of going to bed after reading this book- Bear and Duck may be neighbors but there some real problems when it comes time for bear to sleep - laugh out loud and cute video here too from the publisher! http://www.harpercollins.com/97800622...
Laura Harrison
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very unique voice in the children's picturebook world. Dramatic, beautiful illustrations. Just loved it.
Courtney
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The story of my life as told by a duck and a bear :)
Dawn Betts-Green (Dinosaur in the Library)
Ridiculously adorable book.
Anna
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is now I feel at work all the time.
Lygeri
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, funny
Very funny, nice illustration! For kids 3 to 5.
Tasha
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bear is so very tired, all he wants to do is go to sleep. But his next door neighbor, Duck, feels exactly the opposite and has never felt more awake as he reads a book on staying awake and drinks a pot of coffee. As Bear climbs into bed and pulls up his blanket, ready to snooze, Duck comes over for a visit. Duck offers all sorts of ideas of what they could do together, but all Bear wants to do is sleep. Just when Bear is again about to fall asleep, Duck returns with a new idea to bake something. ...more
Aaron Jordan
According to Publisher's Weekly, in Goodnight Already! author Jory John and illustrator Benji Davies bring fresh humor to a familiar scenario, tracing the push and pull between a character desperate to get some shut-eye and one who is far from ready for bed. Working in a distilled style reminiscent of classic UPA animation, Davies uses nocturnal blues, geometric patterning, and contrasting scale in a way that makes every page pop. The one thing readers will not say about this book is “Enough alr ...more
Abigail
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Amusing Bedtime Stories
Bear is extremely tired, and wants only to fall into blissful sleep. Unfortunately for him, his neighbor and friend Duck is wide awake, and wanting company. Bear grows ever more irate during his hilarious exchanges with Duck, as the anatine interloper attempts to inveigle him into cookie-making, book-reading, and various other activities. Duck even goes so far as to let himself into Bear's house with the spare emergency key, after being repulsed the first two times! IN the end, his shenanigans t ...more
Melanie
Bear is so tired he's sure he could sleep for months. He settles down in his bed and falls asleep. Next door Duck is wide awake and he's bored. He heads over to Bears' house for fun. But when Bear answers the door he is anything but please to see him. Duck tries to get him to play cards, read together, start a band, make smoothies... Bear wants nothing to do with anything about being awake. He kicks duck out and goes back to bed.

Duck climbs up to Bears' window to tell him that he wants to make c
Kara Garcia
1. How many of you have ever had to share a room with a sibling or at a sleepover with a friend, and one of you is ready to go to sleep before the other? In the book Goodnight Already! by Jory John and Benji Davies, Bear has to deal with a neighbor who won’t let him sleep! Let’s look at the first page. Bear says, “I’ve never been so tired. I could sleep for weeks. Months, even!” Tell me what you know about bears. What kind of sleep do you think bear is ready for? Maybe he’s just ready for a regu ...more
Christine Ridout
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My preschoolers and I loved this book. Bear has never been so tired. He “could sleep for weeks. Months, even!” But his neighbor, Duck, has “never been so awake” and he wants to play with Bear. So, Duck goes over to Bear’s house and bangs on the door. “Wanna play cards?” “No!” “Watch a movie?” “No!” “Talk all Night?” “No!” Duck finally leaves and Bear goes back to sleep, but who appears again at the window? Duck. “I want to make cookies. Can I borrow some sugar?” “No!” “Butter?” “No!” This contin ...more
David Schaafsma
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The whole family will read all these Goodreads Children's Illustrated book nominees for 2015 and rate all of them.

One of the go to sleep books. .. the title reminded me of Adam Mansbach's Go the F*** to Sleep, though that one is really about the frustration of trying to put kids to sleep, and this one is about a bear (adult?) who wants to sleep and a duck (kid?) who won't let her. It could be read alongside a similar book also nominated this year, Mo Willem's I Will Take a Nap! with a similar s
Garrett
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
We've all been there: We're trying to sleep because IT'S NIGHT TIME and our dumb duck neighbor won't shut up about things. That duck is just lucky bear is so nice--I'd have called the cops on his feathery behind!
Julie
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I enjoyed the humor in this book about bear that seems as if he is ready to hibernate and his neighbor, a hyperactive duck who is raring to go go go!
Liz
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, picture-books
I read this one in preschool storytime and it was a huge hit. The important things is to remember to do separate voices for bear and duck.
Antoinette Scully
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bear is ready for bed but Duck can’t seem to get to sleep. Hilarity ensues. I liked this cute but annoying duck and could completely relate to the exhausted bear. Every parent can relate.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Pig the Tourist
  • Such a Good Boy
  • Monsters Love Underpants
  • Truman
Jory John is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and two-time E.B. White Read-Aloud Honor recipient.

Jory's work includes the #1 New York Times bestselling picture book, The Good Egg, and the #2 New York Times bestselling picture book, The Bad Seed, both illustrated by Pete Oswald. He is also the author of the popular picture books, Penguin Problems and Giraffe Problems, both illustrated by Lan

Bear & Duck (4 books)
  • I Love You Already!
  • Come Home Already!
  • All Right Already!: A Snowy Story

Articles featuring this book

Have you already surpassed your 2018 Reading Challenge? That's fantastic. Congrats! But then this isn't for you. This is for the rest...