Start by marking “The Broken” as Want to Read:
The Broken

The Broken

Best friends tell you everything; about their kitchen renovation; about their little girl's schooling. How one of them is leaving the other for a younger model.

Best friends don't tell lies. They don't take up residence on your couch for weeks. They don't call lawyers. They don't make you choose sides.

Best friends don't keep secrets about their past. They don't put you in d
Published May 22nd 2014 by Transworld Digital (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Broken, please sign up.
Brenda A I don't know when they updated it, but the summary for the book has this in the beginning: "Previously Published as The Broken in the UK." so it's the…moreI don't know when they updated it, but the summary for the book has this in the beginning: "Previously Published as The Broken in the UK." so it's the same book.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kinza No i'm pretty sure it was just a coincidence

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Fan-freaking-tastic! I've loved all of Tamar Cohen's books who now writes as Tammy Cohen with loads of great books under her belt! Here is her other author page for you to check out her other great books! Tammy Cohen.

With The Broken, she yet again pulls off a sensation of a novel. I could not put this book down, from the first line to the last I was hungry for more. This stands out as a clear front runner, with a psychological tautness to it, this book is a must read for anyone who simply appreciates goo
Siobhan
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I wanted to enjoy this one more than I did. Honestly, I tried really hard, but I could not bring myself to give it more than three stars.

Okay, let me make things clear, I was expecting a bit more of a thriller than I was given. It is my mistake which left me disappointed. Nevertheless, the story was still nowhere near what I expected even when I shifted my perspective to take into account my faulty thinking.

The story follows the breakdown of a marriage and how this impacts upon the people around
Jules

After reading Dying for Christmas and loving it, I was so pleased when I won a paperback copy of The Broken from the author, via THE book Club last month.

The Broken is a great psychological thriller about marriage and friendship, and what happens when things start to go wrong. One couple are separating, while the other couple feel torn between their two best friends. This isn’t just a book about four friends disagreeing and arguing. This is surprisingly dark and sinister in places.

The characters
Cleo Bannister
This is Tamar Cohen’s first foray into the world of psychological suspense with the story of two couples who became friends since they met when their daughters were newborns. They were ideal best friends with Dan & Josh watching football together while Hannah and Sasha went to art galleries, book clubs and shopping. So with weekends spent socialising all together along with their daughters, September and Lily, life seems perfect until the day that Dan decides that his marriage to Sasha is ov ...more
Leah
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
As soon as I spotted Tamar Cohen’s new book on Netgalley, I knew I wanted to read it! Tamar is a very popular author, who writes Chick Lit Noir (I think that’s what they’re calling it these days), but her books could also probably land in the psychological thriller category (I think!). I haven’t read any of her books – though I have her first two novels on my shelf if I ever get the time to go back and read them (hopefully so) and I decided that starting with her newest novel The Broken. The syn ...more
Liz Barnsley
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Publication Date: 22nd May 2014 from Doubleday/Transworld.

Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy.

Best friends tell you everything; about their kitchen renovation; about their little girl’s schooling. How one of them is leaving the other for a younger model.
Best friends don’t tell lies. They don’t take up residence on your couch for weeks. They don’t call lawyers. They don’t make you choose sides.
Best friends don’t keep secrets about their past. They don’t put you in danger.
Bes
Janet
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Firstly, thank you to the publisher and author for the copy via Netgalley. Much appreciated.

The Broken is a psychological thriller that had me feeling uncomfortable at the best of times. Two couples, supposedly best friends - the girls swapping stories, spending much time together drinking, shopping, their own daughters always playing together - the boys best drinking buds, confide in each other the way men do. Then it all goes horribly wrong. One couple separate, the man leaving his wife for a
Mark Edwards
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A stunning psychological thriller that starts off like an everyday tale of marriage and divorce but gets progressively crazier and more sinister as it goes along. I loved every page, and kept wanting to read bits out to people. Some of the descriptions of parenting were brilliantly funny and Cohen succeeds at really getting into the heads of her female and male characters. This is an absolute must-read and I will be pressing it on all my friends.
Tracy Fenton
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
wow. I feel like I have been on a emotional roller coaster and ended up facing the wrong way. Tammy Cohen has a way of writing books that I adore and her characters are so unlikeable or unstable that I can only hope she has a very vivid imagination and doesn't base them on any one she knows as they are scary!
Lisa
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well that was a bust. Too bad because it started strong. But it just never went anywhere. Well, maybe it does eventually, but 100 pages in and it was still just two people fighting over an affair. Done.
Kelly
Jun 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
All I can say is that I'm so glad that book is done! It took me forever to read, and I didn't really like it at all.

All four of the main characters are so awful that the only 'psychological thrills' that one could ever wish upon any of them is to have their one-dimensional heads smashed together until they grow up. Dan is a self-obsessed non-entity, Josh a moron, Hannah a doormat, crippled by neuroses and Sasha a narcissistic drama queen.

I was waiting for a big twist as at 70% it was supposed t
Misty Mount
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
The audiobook was very well done. If I was reading this on my own I might not have finished it, but I'm a sucker for a good British accent. It's full of so much bickering it made me anxious. 2.5
Karen
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dan and Sasha, Josh and Hannah are two happily married couples and best friends – or so they thought. When Dan announces that he has met someone else and is leaving Sasha after 8 years of marriage, Josh and Hannah are left reeling. They have always been such close friends; they holiday together, chill out together, their young daughters September and Lily play together – in fact they are closer than family – or so they think!

Tamar Cohen has written a powerful and compelling story of how the brea
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The Broken is the first book I have read by this author and it certainly won't be the last.

After hearing lots of good things about this book I was very much looking forward to reading it. I will admit to start with I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about but the story really starts to come together the further you get into it.

It's hard to go in to, to much detail with this book with out ruining the plot for anyone that hasn't read it but I will try my best.

The story is about two coupl
Claire
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow! The Broken is a brilliant and compelling read! It's the first Tammy Cohen book I've read and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dan is leaving his wife Sasha and confides in his best mate Josh. Josh shares this news with his wife Hannah who is in turn Sasha's best friend. This all happens at the beginning of the book and the rest is dealing with the fallout of Dan's decision.

As the story progresses Sasha becomes more unhinged and Hannah and Josh have split loyalties to deal with as the acrimonious br
Denise
I loved this book. It grabbed me from the first page & did not let go until the last. A tension filled sinister psychological suspense novel about a marriage breakdown which also affects a close friendship. Lies, deceit, craziness, what a story! This is definitely in my top 5 favourite reads of this year. Highly recommended.
Clare
Listened to in audio format.

Josh and Dan had been best friends since school. School teacher Josh married Hannah and photographer married trust fund girl Sasha. Sasha and Hannah became friends and they both gave birth to girls September and Lily.

One day during a lads night out Dan confesses he has been having an affair with a model. He intends to separate from Sasha before confessing to his affair.

When Sasha finds out she goes straight to Hannah`s house distressed. Later she discovers that Dan h
Victoria Goldman
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Broken is a chilling psychological thriller focusing on the dangers of getting too involved in friends' relationship problems. And how you may discover that you don't really know your best friends at all.

This is the story of best friends Dan and Sasha and Josh and Hannah, and what happens when Dan decides to leave Sasha for a younger model (literally). As Dan and Sasha's marriage breaks down, cracks start to appear in Josh and Hannah's marriage too. All four lives are plunged into turmoil, a
Shawna P.
I had been dying to read this for some reason. It was like a siren and I needed it. Hardcore.

I admittedly had a hard time at first reading this (a bit to much like my family life at the moment) and was getting frustrated with it. I pressed on though and much like Gone Girl, the author has you hating so many characters you don't know what to think. I was on the last chapter thinking..." Ok this was a pretty good book, but where is the twist? How did it classify as a pyschological thriller?" The
Casey
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've had this sitting on my book pile for a few months now and wish I'd picked it up sooner (last month for example when I was in a terrible reading rut) because it had me hooked. It wasn't bursting with major event after event but I felt this made a nice change for a psychological thriller because as much as I love the genre, it does tend to tip beyond realism. The characters in The Broken and the way they responded to the sudden changes in their lives were very believable and well written by C ...more
Ahthomas67yahoo.co.uk
Hated it. I thought that Dan and Sascha were self-centred spoilt brats who only cared about themselves. Some of the things they said to their friends were outrageous. Hannah and Josh by comparison were wet lettuces who took all the rubbish/accusations/excuses Sascha and Dan threw at them. The front cover states that someone couldn't put this book down - I only kept reading in the hope it got any better. The ending was a red herring for the sake of being a red herring and was totally unbelievable ...more
Angela DeSilva
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow.
Anne
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Four friends; Dan and Sasha, Josh and Hannah. Two couples who are the best of friends, their daughters are the same age, they share the same interests, they laugh together, eat together and enjoy each other's company. Despite the fact that Dan and Sasha live in a more expensive part of London, in a bigger house and that Sasha doesn't work but spends most of her time spending Dan's hard earned money, they really are the best of friends. Josh and Hannah work hard in ordinary jobs and struggle to f ...more
Joseph - Relax And Read Reviews
I was lucky enough to win a copy of 'The Broken' in a competition organised by THE Book Club on facebook and the same club chose this book as 'Book of the Month' for May 15.

Reading this book, I was reminded of an old proverb used in my country, saying 'Il-hbieb sal-bieb' which means 'Friends stop at the doorstep'.

How far are you prepared to go in order to help your best friend in difficulty? How deep are you prepared to be dragged into their personal problems? What comes first, your best frien
Megan Readinginthesunshine
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Tamar Cohen and her novels and with that in my mind I could not wait to start her latest release – The Broken.

Dan and Sasha, Josh and Hannah – couples who have been best friends forever. They tell each other everything, socialise together, talk about their children. But when Dan decides his marriage to Sasha is over, and despite not wanting to take sides, Hannah and Josh are soon drawn into the effects of this…

I REALLY liked this! Straight away I was gripped to the pages want
Megan Readinginthesunshine

I REALLY liked this! Straight away I was gripped to the pages want
Hilary Weinstein
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Christine
May 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the review copy of this book.

Two couples are best friends. Suddenly Dan and Sasha are having problems and are separating. Dan finds a new girlfriend. Josh and Hannah are torn about how to deal with this. Divorce and separation leaves its mark on all of them.

I found this a hard book to get through because it was all about relationships. They were not that captivating or interesting. I could not relate to any of the very middle class characters or how the
Louise
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed every word of the book, finding it utterly compelling from the first page to the last. Every time I put it down, I couldn't wait to get back to it.

The book had all Tammy's trademarks of brilliant writing and superb characters who were completely believable. The storyline was gripping, I had no idea how it was all going to end, neither was I sure who to believe. I think this is a scenario most people will recognise, the break down of a relationship leading to two previously 'sane' peopl
Caroline
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

Following the breakdown of an utterly unlikeable couple's marriage, this books tells the story of the aftermath of the split and the effect it has on the couple and their (equally unpleasant) small daughter's relationship with their best friends.

For me, the book was family melodrama rather than suspense and intrigue, which is where I think it was probably aiming, but it was well written and although I didn't like a single one of the characters, the author keeps the reader involved with
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Oct 01, 2015 12:26PM

• Bird Brain
  • The Thornthwaite Inheritance (Thornthwaite, #1)
  • Up Close
  • American Beauty: The Shooting Script
  • The Liar's Chair
  • Notwithstanding
  • The Cold Cold Sea
  • No Other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome, #2)
  • Everybody Jam
  • GodBomb!
  • The Covert Passive Aggressive Narcissist: Recognizing the Traits and Finding Healing After Hidden Emotional and Psychological Abuse
  • The Sudden Departure of the Frasers
  • Humber Boy B (Cate Austin, #3)
Tamar Cohen is a freelance journalist who lives in London with her partner and three teenage children.