Start by marking “Sherlock: Chronicles” as Want to Read:
Sherlock: Chronicles

Sherlock: Chronicles

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  814 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
A visually stunning and comprehensive guide to the hit BBC series, Sherlock: Chronicles tells the full story of the show as you've never seen it before.

Packed with exclusive unseen material, including all-new interviews with the cast and crew, this is Sherlock from the ground up: from story and script development to casting, sets, costumes, props, music and more. Each epis
Published November 6th 2014 by BBC Books (first published October 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock, please sign up.

Vanessa
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not only I did love it, but also my (adorable) funko!Sherlock and funko!Moriarty loved it!
Margaret
Sherlock: Chronicles is an in depth guide to season 1 to 3 of the BBC production "Sherlock" starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.

However, it isn't simply for fans of the show. Yes, the book is aimed at the show's fanbase, but it is also a book for Sherlock Holmes fans.

This book has photographs of earlier portrayals of Holmes and Watson, such as Brett & Hardwicke, and Rathbone & Bruce. There are also reproductions of a couple of Sidney Paget's original illustrations. For this
Riju Ganguly
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This one supercedes the awesome book earlier written by Guy Adams by virtue of the following:
1. It covers all the three seasons.
2. While lavishly illustrated with photographs and all things associated with the series (that practically make us swoon), the book also has a LOT to read, and that's a nice thing given the fact that the next season would start shooting in early 2016, and even the Christmas (Victorian) special is a LONG time away.
3. Bigger & heavier, this book feels like a tome, whi
Jenny Sparrow
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Я поклонница Шерлока Холмса еще с детства, читала почти все, многие рассказы знаю наизусть. И когда посмотрела первый сезон "Шерлока", влюбилась в сериал сразу же. Так умно, свежо, динамично и необычно он был снят, с такой любовью к оригинальным произведениям, что не проникнуться было невозможно.

Книга представляет собой рассказ о том, как придумали этот сериал, как подбирали актеров, писали сценарии, делали спецэффекты, макияж и прочее. Материал подан через прямую речь разных задействованных лиц
Jenni
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a book you dip in an out of, so I can't really say that I finished it, all that I can say is, if you love the series or the books, you'll love the Chronicles. It gives you a really insightful look on the background of how it was made and comparisons with the original texts, as well as great image quality. I find it a treasure personally, it's always great to look at, but it might be boring if you don't know Sherlock Holmes well.
Lolly's Library
It shouldn't have taken me so long to finish this book, quite honestly. After all, it's not like I'm easily distracted- wait, is that my microwave dinging? Ooh, what a cute squirrel outside my window, so fat and fuzzy- hey, something sparkly! I think that's the earring I lost a couple of weeks ago! Wait, what was I saying? Oh, yes, the concentration abilities of an android, that's me. In any other circumstances, I would've finished this book in a couple of weeks, but I kept getting sidetracked b ...more
Lesa
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"You've got this egomaniacal, slightly autistic psychopath and this incredibly decent hard-working soldier, the two most opposite people who could ever possibly meet each other, who really rather adore each other and end up sharing a flat..." That's Steven Moffat, co-creator with Mark Gatiss of Sherlock. If any book could make the reader eager to re-watch all the episodes of a television show, it's Steve Tribe's Sherlock Chronicles.

It's obvious that Tribe, author of numerous Doctor Who books, ha
Natalia Jagielska
Who knew that adaptation of 19th century old set of novellas, would end up being most watched and globally recognised BBC brand two decades later? Watched by over 70 million of people worldwide Sherlock ranks as greatest cinematographicw achievement of this age. Sherlock Chronicle goes deeper inside it roots- discovering origin of canon, concept, but mainly making-of. I Got my copy early from Waterstones.
It is thick and divided into ten chapters (one introductions, later ones for each episode)
NyxShadow

3.5 très intéressante et portant sur tout même les "détails" comme les costumes ou les effets normaux !

Petit point noir qui se retrouve toujours dans ce genre d'ouvrage : c'est la continuité du texte !
En effet, le texte n'est pas présenté d'un bloc, mais étalé sur plusieurs pages et avec pas mal "d'illustrations" autour.
Ici clichés de la série, sérieTVVSnouvelles, etc. C'est intéressant, mais si on veut TOUT voir, tout lire, on fragmente le propos. On ris
melmarian
Literally a huge treat to fans of BBC Sherlock everywhere - it contains everything I can think of: ideas, the making of, actor filmographies, character developments, sets, costumes, special effects, music, the growing fandom of the show... and of course exclusive photos. My favourite, aside from the photos, would be the 'Holmes from Holmes' where parts of Doyle's works are put to side-by-side comparison with what the creative team made for modern times Sherlock. Spotted some minor typos and it o ...more
Li
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Because I'm such a psycho obsessed fangirl, many of the stories and anecdotes I'd already heard/read before so there wasn't much "new" material for me to absorb.

With that said, I love all the pictures and the Holmes on Holmes portions. We got to read the original text right next to the modern adaptation. I also enjoyed learning how many of the special effects were achieved. Such creativity!

Great book for any Sherlock fan.
Terri Naughton
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books of it's kind I've ever read. Lots of good photos and quotes from the actors and producers of this great show. If you like "Sherlock", it's a must read. (Note: if you have never seen "Sherlock" watch the series first, otherwise this great book won't mean much to you!!) :-)
Nicki Markus
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sherlock: Chronicles is the perfect companion book for the hit TV series. It covers the show's inception and then breaks down the production of each episode from series one through three. With plenty of colour photos, snap shots of script pages for deleted sequences, and behind-the-scenes info, there's something to please fans and those interested in TV production.
Valerie
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a must have for fans of the series: full of photos, deleted scenes from the scripts, comparisons of the ACD texts with the scripts, and insight from all different areas involved in making the show. Not to be missed!
Nikki
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
One of my favourite TV Series of all time. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the development and adaptation of the original works to the 21st Century. Lovely photos and behind the scenes information. Perfect addition for any fan of BBC Sherlock!
Charlotte
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great insight into the world of Sherlock.
Dec 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Full of interesting information and some stunning photos; this was a great Christmas present, thanks Dad!
Dave
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good pictures, great interviews, very interesting behind-the-scenes production info. Plus it's about Sherlock, so how could it be bad?
Hannah Smith
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a really interesting and well structured book that looked at various aspects of the production of 'Sherlock'. A definite read for any 'Sherlock' fan.
Victoria
I CANNOT WAIT TO GET THIS CAN SOMEBODY BUY THIS FOR ME ASDFGHJKLL ITS AS EXCITING AS SHERLOCK S4
Helena
❤❤❤ ...more
KaroLin (Fiktion fetzt)
Insgesamt ein schön gestalteter Blick hinter die Kulissen, der mir aber wenig Neues vermitteln konnte. Wenn man schon den einen oder anderen Behind the Scenes Beitrag gesehen und Interviews zur Serie verfolgt hat, wird man hier eher auf Informationen treffen, die man schon kennt. Der Text enthält außerdem einige Tippfehler, was natürlich passieren kann, aber eben nicht in dieser Anzahl. Man hat den Eindruck, dass sich die Macher des Buches einfach nicht genug Zeit zum Korrekturlesen genommen hab ...more
Shannon
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sherlock fans, Benedict Cumberbatch fans, Martin Freeman fans
I am a huge Sherlock fan so I was really excited to get this book as a gift. It's very nice - slick glossy pages, tons of great colour photos of the cast, crew and scenery - and it takes the reader from Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss' first discussing the idea of a new Sherlock series right to the end of the the third televised series ending with "His Last Vow". There are a lot of great comparisons between the original text and what ends up onscreen, some commentary from the actors on playing fam ...more
Evelyn Morgan
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book fascinating. I was a big fan of the "Sherlock" series and loved to learn more about the creation, casting, writing and production. Lots of beautiful color photos and short dialogues from the scripts alongside excerpts from the books and stories. I plan to watch the series again to see some of the nuances mentioned in the book. It covers through the end of series three, so nothing about "The Abominable Bride" or series four. Well worth a read for fans of the series.
k~
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars, and I only give 5 stars if I *really* mean it.

I'd love to see an updated version to include the latest series of Sherlock. This edition is loaded with beautiful, glossy photos and in-depth behind-the-scenes material that will entertain fans of both the Sherlock television series and the canonical Holmes. As an ardent fan of Sherlock, I particularly enjoyed insight and interviews from a variety of actors and writers. Additionally, I loved the photos -- so many beautiful snaps of the sce
Katrina (trinareadsbooks)
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such an amazing insight into the world of BBC Sherlock and all of the work that went into making it. Every page not only held interesting words and stories from behind the scenes but deleted scenes and beautiful photos. I loved every second of this book.
Nicola
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sehr gutes Buch mit umfassenden Informationen zu den ersten drei Staffeln der Serie. Etwas werbelastig vielleicht, aber letztlich angenehm informativ.
Thiliel
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good value, fun facts, coffee table material.
Courtney Golden
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
decent interviews and gorgeous photos, worth it for the pics alone
Anna
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THE GAME IS NEVER OVER #SHERLOCKSERIES5
2015 Reading Chal...: Sherlock: Chronicles by Steve Tribe 3 15 Apr 05, 2015 01:34AM
  • Sherlock: The Casebook
  • Doctor Who - The Vault: Treasures from the First 50 Years
  • The Secret Journals of Sherlock Holmes
  • A Study In Lavender: Queering Sherlock Holmes
  • The Sherlock Holmes Book
  • The Great Detective: The Amazing Rise and Immortal Life of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • Sherlock's Home: The Empty House
  • The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • From Holmes to Sherlock: The Story of the Men and Women Who Created an Icon
  • The Quotable Doctor Who: Wise Words from Across Space and Time
  • Bending the Willow: Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes
  • The Adventure of the Illustrious Client
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula (Victorian Undead, #2)
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes

• Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Sex Object
    $9.74 $2.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $3.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?
    $9.99 $2.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Moving Beyond Words: Essays on Age, Rage, Sex, Power, Money, Muscles: Breaking the Boundaries of Gender
  • Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet