Start by marking “Sugar Hall” as Want to Read:
Sugar Hall

Sugar Hall

Published October 15th 2014 by Seren (first published May 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Sugar Hall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugar Hall

Jane
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this is lovely. A ghost story told so beautifully, so evocatively, and with such a perfect touch that it is something very special indeed.

“This morning I found a strange boy in the sheds. He frightened me , Cyn, but I want to see him again. You’d tell me not to, you’d tell me he wasn’t right, I know you would, but there’s no one else to play with. He didn’t speak to me, but I know he’s be my friend. Sas and Ma don’t believe in him, but you would. I am making it my mission to find out about h
Becky
Oct 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways-won
*I won this a Goodreads giveaway to review*

This book was a brilliant ghost story, it had all the factors needed. It gave you the creeps, it was weird and scary.

However, I only gave this book three stars and this is because for a good first part of the book I was very confused. I did not know where the story was going and I could not enjoy this book. If that was not the case then this would be a 4 star read.

The characters in this book where very intriguing and mysterious. Dieter who is the main
Joanne Sheppard
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tiffany Murray's Sugar Hall begins with the recently widowed Lilia Sugar and her two children, Saskia and Dieter, moving from their London flat, a post-war new build, to the ancient country mansion Dieter has inherited from his father's estranged family. The house is in poor repair and German-born Lilia feels horribly unequipped to play lady of the manor, while Dieter and Saskia, Londoners are heart, are lonely and out of place. But is that the only reason they feel so uncomfortable at Sugar Hal ...more
Janette Fleming
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easter 1955. As Lilia Sugar scrapes the ice from the inside of the windows and the rust from the locks in Sugar Hall, she knows there are pasts she cannot erase. On the very edge of the English/Welsh border, the red gardens of Sugar Hall hold a secret, and as Britain prepares for its last hanging, Lilia and her children must confront a history that has been buried but not forgotten. Based on the stories of the Black Boy that surround Littledean Hall in the Forest of Dean, this is a superbly chil ...more
Natalie Hamilton
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Chilling and tragic. Tiffany Murray has a gift for storytelling. Drawing on local stories, Murray builds a world in which tragedy echoes through generations and is connected to a dark family history. Compelling read.
Nicole Wright
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
dang this was depressing
John Fish
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favourite ghost stories is The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, there have many others since then, and after reading Sugar Hall by Tiffany Murray I would be happy to call this a classic ghost story.
This novel is set in 1955, the war still looms large in the memories of people. Sugar Hall is a country house in the Welsh borders and is based on the haunting stories of Littledean Hall in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire.
Sugar Hall is in a very poor state by the time Lilia Su
Thelastwordreview
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sugar Hall is in a very poor state by the time Lilia Su
Huw Rhys
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you like Ghost stories that are the sort of ghost stories which grow increasingly more sinister as the narrative develops, then you'll love this book. In fact, scrap that. If you like ghost stories full stop, then you'll love being led through the labyrinths of Sugar Hall.

But if you don't really consider yourself to be a fan of ghost stories per se, like me - then there's still every chance that you'll love this book, as it's a lot, lot more than just a ghost story.

The story is based in crumb
Natalie Sorrell
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this book from Seren in return for an honest review. What follows is my own opinion.

I need to explain from the start that I'm not really one for the horror genre. This is more in relation to films than anything else, as I have a deep appreciation for gothic literature. But, in horror films, I can generally spot the plot, I get bored easily and occasionally fall back on my traditional failsafe of falling asleep 5 minutes in. I was a teenage sleepover nightmare.

The fact that this book p
Anne
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Liliana Sugar and her two children; Saskia and Dieter have moved into Sugar Hall. The hall is old, and crumbling, it's cold and full of strange objects and dark rooms, there are rats and damp. Sugar Hall is a shock for all of them, they are used to their cheery little flat in London, surrounded by friends and noise and bright lights. Liliana is a widow and her children are fatherless, the locals are curious about this German sounding woman and her two very different children. Only Juniper and Jo ...more
Andy Weston
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's a strange combination, the slave trade, a crumbling mansion in the Welsh Borders in which a family of German heritage live, the kinder transport, and the 1950s but in Ms Murray's hands it works extremely well.

Also it's a multi genre book; a ghost story and a coming of age tale aimed at young adults I guess, but fine for adults also.

There have been a few 'ghost stories' for YAs recently that seek to touch on other issues that perhaps that age group would not choose to read about. The Boy i
Sue Lang
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. I must say I only picked up this book in the library because of the cover. I was thrilled to see that the area it is about I am familiar with. I am an avid Ghost story fan. whilst this story is chilling and dark in places, the fact that a family are the victims of these events gives it a warmth in an unusual way.

The description of the ghost and how it changes are eerie. The characters all draw you into their individual lives and the way they all relate and use one
Dawn
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads-won
I received a copy of this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

"Sugar Hall" by Tiffany Murray is probably the most gently written ghost story I have ever encountered - and is certainly the most charming.

The ghostly episodes arrive in the narrative with ease, slipped in between normal everyday events in the lives of the Sugar family.

The whole novel seems to be written in a whisper uttered for the ears of the reader only. The skill of Tiffany Murray as a storyteller cannot be denied.

Cornelia
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.It had all the feel of a Victorian ghost story and I had to keep reminding myself it was set in the 1950s. It was creepy and rather scary yet still fixed in the real world where everyday things carry on and the awfulness is pushed to the side, Nobody wants to see the manifestations of the past in spite of family history, yet it should be so glaringly obvious what is going on.
A sad ending - but what else?
Lizzi
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! Of course reminded me a bit of The Little Stranger but it entirely has its own identity. A very well-constructed plot with little bits of information slowly released to the reader. Great suspense and mystery, with just the right amount of creepiness. I reviewed it here: http://www.thesiren.co.uk/review-suga...
Jo Verity
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
A chilling, gripping, page-turner of a ghost story, the intriguing narrative made more interesting and 'solid' by the author's obvious knowledge and love of its rural setting. Loved it. Thoroughly recommend.
Zoe Ranson
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sugar Hall has wonderful prose that draws the reader into the family saga of the Sugar's - Dieter, Sakia and Lilia and their mysterious ancestral home. I especially loved the first paragraph which builds cumulatively running to almost the whole page.
Debra Brown
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me the creeps in more ways than one. Creepy story, creepy characters and so many creepy crawlies! Bravo.
A wonderfully written ghost story.
Jenna
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is one of the most wonderful ghost stories I've ever read. Perfectly spooky, I could only read it during daylight hours. The historical setting was perfect. I loved this.
Lizalou
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Absolutely loved this. Beautiful prose, stunning imagery that stays in your mind, tension throughout and an ending that hits you with a jolt.
Karla Brading
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Haunting descriptions. Unique and wonderful characters. Tension throughout. Couldn't put this book down. It's going to stay with me for a long time, I feel.
Dave Parry
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed ‘Happy Accidents’, also by Tiffany Murray & I wasn’t disappointed that it sent me to this! I bought my copy of ‘Sugar Hall’ from the signed books table at the Hay Festival a few years ago & it feels weighty & satisfying to hold with lovely little prints of letters & lists & moths & butterflies to illustrate aspects of the narrative between the chapters, so it was winning even before I started reading. (My Kindle can’t beat the feel of a printed book in my ...more
Molly Holborn
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I throughly enjoyed this book, it was beautifully written and even though it’s a ghost story, it’s more a tragedy rather than horror. I loved the characters and the plot was really engaging and interesting. I definitely recommend!
Kelsie
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
It is well written and fairly fast paced but I feel there is something lacking. It needs perhaps a bigger climax and a little more suspense. This is one book I feel actually could be better as a film.
Victoria Evangelina Allen
I am giving four stars bcz I have not finished reading it- too scary for me!!!!! Tiffany Murray is a writer of many talents, and I'm definitely a fan of her two previous books.
Porcelina
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Sugar Hall by Tiffany Murphy is 'a ghost story' set in the 1950s in a classic rambling old mansion near the estuary of the Severn river, that divides South Wales from England.

Lilia has arrived at Sugar Hall, widowed and penniless, with her two children, teenage Saskia and young Dieter. They've left behind a bustling life in London and are readjusting to this strange new life where cows roam outside the windows. The story is a bit of a slow burner, but the descriptions are deftly enough crafted a
Yoshay Lama Lindblom
Sugar Hall is one of those books that will stay with you like a dream or nightmare you once had and has remained with you ever since. Set in the 1950s, it is a ghost story through and through, one that tugs at your heart with a horrible sense of regret. Sugar Hall is a crumbling place in a state of irredeemable dilapidation. It is far from the sweetness that the name suggests. Once Lilia Sugar and her two children, Dieter and Saskia arrive at Sugar Hall, their already struggle-filled lives spira ...more
Ffion Rowe
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sugar Hall: Do you like pickled onions? Exactly. Well Sugar Hall is pickled oni-book. You'll munch through Murray's prose, the gloomy rooms, the 'egg sandwiches' that 'smell like farts' and Saskia's 'heavenly hips' or chew slowly through it with a frown. I struggled to begin with, but it was just my taste once I got over it I realised: this is a brilliantly written, haunting, chilling ghost story. It is well crafted - like the very best ghost stories, it builds on fear and suggestion, rather tha ...more
Anne Goodwin
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Along with his mother, and older sister, ten-year-old Dieter has been uprooted from a modern council flat in 1950s London to Sugar Hall, a crumbling country house. With his father’s suicide, Dieter is the sole Sugar heir, but he hates the house and misses his friends immensely. So when he comes upon a strange boy in one of the outhouses, naked apart from a silver collar around his neck, he’s delighted to have someone to play with. But no-one has told him about the Slave Boy said to haunt the hou ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Cry In The Night
  • When Nights Were Cold
  • The Art of Drowning
  • What Lies Within
  • Brodmaw Bay
  • To the Edge of Shadows
  • The Sacrificial Man (Cate Austin, #2)
  • Tarnished
  • A Sense of Place: Great Travel Writers Talk About Their Craft, Lives, and Inspiration
  • Mrs Fox
  • Star Gazing
  • Who is Mr Satoshi?
  • The Falcons of Fire and Ice
  • Come to Harm
Tiffany Murray was born in South West Sussex and grew up in Wales. Her first novel Happy Accidents and her second, Diamond Star Halo were both short-listed for the Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Award. Tiffany's writing has appeared in The Times, The Telegraph, The Independent and The Guardian. She is Senior Lecturer at The University of Glamorgan.