Start by marking “Good Things in England” as Want to Read:
Good Things in England

Good Things in England

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  26 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
A collection of 853 regional recipes dating back to the C14th. It is full of fresh ideas and appetising descriptions of English specialities.
Published 2000 by Persephone Books (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Good Things in England, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Things in England

Susan
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you like to browse recipes and are interested in English food and its history, this is a book for you. One of my favorite food writers, Jane Grigson, often referred to this book in her own writing, and it offers dozens of recipes for just about everything, many provided by correspondents sharing family recipes. As you’d expect, this is not a book for novice cooks since directions are often general and assume a certain level of knowledge.
GeraniumCat
I already love this book and I've only just skimmed the surface. I find old recipes endlessly fascinating and this is an excellent collection. Not so much a book to cook from (Dorothy Hartley might be better if you want to experiment) but a piece of social history which disproves the popular fallacy that the English can't cook.
Veronica
May 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: keen English cooks
Shelves: cookbooks
I'd been looking for this book for literally years, so I was pleased to find it at Abebooks for a reasonable price. I was even more pleased when I received it within two days, and it was in immaculate condition -- the previous owner had clearly never been near the kitchen with it. It is a beautifully produced book, complete with gorgeous patterned endpapers and a matching bookmark!

I love old cookbooks, particularly English ones. Both Elizabeth David and Jane Grigson refer to this in their books
Rosemary
May 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: persephone
I'd never sit down and read cookbooks if Persephone didn't publish them. Their cookery books always have some social and historical interest. They're never just a collection of recipes.

Here we have recipes collected from different parts of England and different periods in history. Florence White with her English Folk Cookery Association comes across as a well-meaning enthusiast but it's sad to think that within a few years the Second World War with its rationing, egg substitutes and lack of fre
Eliane
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookery
This is as much an historical document as a cookery book. A collection of recipes from all over England and from the last two centuries prior to its publication in the 1930s, Good Things in England is really fascinating, containing gems such as rook pie and the enormous variety of things people used to eat for breakfast together with still easily made puddings. I'm not sure I'll cook from it but I love having the book around.
Julie
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Charming & old fashioned. How many of us have use for a recipe for "Mock Turtle Soup from a Sheep's Head"? Some recipes were a source of amusement such as "A Hedgehog Tipsy Cake", "Grassy Corner Pudding" & "Fat Rascals". Other recipes were informative such as "How to make Good Toast" & "How to make Coffee in a Jug or Billy-Can". A piece of history perhaps & worth preserving, however, not much practical use in my kitchen.
Sharon
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Love this book, a piece of culinary history, filled with British traditional recipes some with literary references. I do have to look up measurement conversion for the recipes but otherwise this is a great resource for anyone with an interest in food and it's history, some of these recipes date back to the middle ages.
Meg
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am unlikely to ever cook from this but as a historical document of food, recipes and regional differences, it was a delight.
kymdotcom
Yinzadi
Sep 24, 2013
Barley Twist
Oct 12, 2013
Florence White was a food writer who established the English Folk Cookery Association, and published a number of books on cookery and other domestic matters.
More about Florence White