Start by marking “Other Breakable Things” as Want to Read:
Other Breakable Things

Other Breakable Things

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  151 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
According to Japanese legend, folding a thousand paper cranes will grant you healing.

Evelyn Abel will fold two thousand if it will bring Luc back to her.

Published April 4th 2017 by Entangled: Teen

To ask other readers questions about Other Breakable Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Other Breakable Things

(I received an advance copy of this book for free. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley.)

“I love you. You know that, right?”

This was a YA contemporary romance story, about a boy who had a heart transplant that was slowly being rejected.

Luc was an okay character, but it did bother me how much he kept from Evelyn. Considering how sick he was I felt that he should have told her before he became seriously ill.

The storyline in this was about Luc and Evelyn meeting again after 3 year
Hristina
It's my Other Breakable Things blog tour day!! Blog post + a Giveaway link HERE!!

Copy received through NetGalley

This is a YA contemporary romance about Luc, a boy who's had a heart-transplant, but his body is now rejecting it, and Evelyn, his best friend. It’s a moving story that explores subject of death, and it features a road-trip to Oregon.
I really liked the writing style, especially the masterfully executed double POV, which is hard to pull of. I loved the realistic characters, and their de
katherine
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This was such a cute, fast paced read! I did have a few issues with some things but overall there was a lot of good thing about this.

For starters it was SO CUTE. It was such a lovely road trip romance, the relationship between Luc and Evelyn is cute and mushy and I loved it! I loved how fleshed out Luc was and how thought out it was with his illness. I loved Evelyn, she was great relatable character and I liked that personality wise she was completely different to Luc - I thought they were the p
Jennifer Rose
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, my goodness...this book! Ok so to be honest, I knew going into reading Other Breakable Things that the sadness factor was oozing from the pages. This rarely scares me away, I love a good cry as much as the next girl, but this book made me ugly cry. Like sob! And not just at the end, but multiple times throughout! That being said, this book was amazing! It touched me, my soul, my heart, in such a special way. Now, where to start and not ruin everything for you…

This story is ultimately a sweet
Inge
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it
"I'm not made of much time and never have been."

Critics who say that Young Adult is a dumb genre without any valuable content have obviously never read any books like Other Breakable Things. Or much other than Twilight, for that matter, but it sounded like a good opening sentence, which I have now ruined.

I would recommend reading this book with something lighter on the side, as it tends to grow quite heavy. Think A Walk to Remember, or like a YA version of the heart-wrenching Me Before You. Yo
Melissa (YA Book Shelf)
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading Other Breakable Things, late at night, as one does, and I really liked it. There are some very poignant moments about death, dying, and what it means to die with dignity, etc. so I found myself highlighting so much of the book that it's actually slightly ridiculous. Like there are over 190 parts highlighted. And no, I'm not exaggerating.

The growth in the characters was great, and I was definitely surprised about various things that happened. My favorite thing was seeing Evel
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fuck.
Diana
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
2-2'5★

This is a sad hard book about a guy who has had a heart transplant and his body is rejecting it. Tired of living always counting down his time and being surrounded by doctors' appointments, he decides to go after euthanasia. Only thing is, he enrolls in his journey that one special girl he has always liked... and who also has her own share of heartaches.

The book is written going back and forth between the two main characters, and I really enjoyed the clever prologue, which can be applied t
Sarah Swann
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! Heartstrings tugged (no pun intended)! Following this young couple as their relationship grows and blossoms, even under a deadline of an illness that's taking a bad turn was so heart warming (again...no pun intended). Already having a heart transplant, Luc just wants to live the rest of his short life being happy and taking risks. I loved the relationship between Evelyn and Luc. It grew realistically and just made me happy. There were quite a few troupes here: one is sick, thinking of ...more
Shirley Cuypers
Original review

Other Breakable Things tells the story of Evelyn and Luc. They've been friends when they were younger but Evelyn had to leave town for her mother's boyfriend. Three years later they meet each other and they decide to leave town together. Both for another reason. Evelyn feels like a second choice to her mum and her mother's boyfriend did certain things that a stepdad shouldn't do. Luc has problems with his heart, he had a heart transplant a few days after Evelyn left town, but his
Madison
Hmmm. What can you say about a book that attempts to pick you up, take you on a roller coaster of emotions and then rip your heart out? I wasn't sure which path this book would take - ultimately hopeful, focusing on the joys and hurts of living or a complete and utter sob fest? Even after finishing I'm still not sure - a bit of both, maybe? Either way, Other Breakable Things is a very interesting book and quick to read, perfect for contemporary fiction fans.

Evelyn has always loved Luc.
Olivia Farr
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Other Breakable Things” absolutely wrecked me- it’s a beautiful and heartwrenching story about Evelyn and Luc. The book begins when Evelyn returns to town after leaving Arizona, where she and her mother lived with her mother’s boyfriend. Her best friend, Luc, has not been great about staying in touch, but Evelyn is eager to see if they are/can still be friends. Luc is suffering after his heart transplant years ago- it seems his body is rejecting the heart. He feels that it would be easier on Ev ...more
Natshane
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of Other Breakable Things provided by Entangled Publishing and the author. Thank you so much for the reviewing opportunity!

Quoting Jennifer on her one-liner review, my first reaction when I finished the book was indeed:

(view spoiler)

I normally refrain from any crudeness in my review, but this a state of desperation, no other words could perfectly describe the emotions that are running rampage in my heart, so please forgive me!

As expected f
Moon Love
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was both uplifting and devastating. I cried unabashedly in public while reading this. I literally sat there with tears streaming down my face, trying not to sob. As I type this, the tears are starting again.

Kelley York and Rowan Altwood have written a phenomenal book. Luc and Evelyn are wonderful people. It's easy to see them light up when they're around one another. Both of them have troubles of their own, but it's like together they are able to forget and just live.

I ho
Lunabookaddict
Émouvant, touchant mais je n’ai pas pleuré... je n’ai pas été brisé non plus. Je m’attendais presque à pire?
Muffinsandbooks
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beau, doux, émouvant, triste, drôle, BEAU. J’ai beaucoup aimé ce livre. Il n’a pas brisé mon cœur (contrairement à ce qu’on m’avait promis !) mais il m’a beaucoup émue et, j’avoue, j’ai versé ma petite larme... cette petite pépite s’inscrit dans la lignée de Nos Étoiles Contraires ou First Love ... et j’ai été happée.
Katherine Paschal
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Luc has always been sick, but when he gets the news that his transplanted heart is being rejected he is ready to give up. When his old childhood friend Evelyn moves back to town and attempts to be his friend again despite his years of ignoring her, he pushes her away again. But regardless of how standoffish he is, Evelyn comes to him in a moment of need, he makes the decision to take her on a road trip with him. But Evelyn has no idea what Luc's real destination is or what is really going on.

Oh
Jenn
I've never read Me Before You but I'm going to go out on a ledge and say that this is pretty much the teen equivalent of that. When Evelyn Abel moves back into town after another failed relationship on her mother's part, she is both exited and hesitant to look up her old best friend. I mean, she wrote and wrote and wrote to him, but suddenly he just stopped.

Luc Argent is dying from a heart condition. Rather than suffer through another failed transplant and tired of the doctors & hospitals,
Joli
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rating 4.5 of 5

OTHER BREAKABLE THINGS is a gorgeous story of friendship and love. There is so much beauty - in the storytelling, in the imagery, and in the emotional tone of OTHER BREAKABLE THINGS, that it feels like a privilege to get to read it and experience it.

It's easy to adore Evelyn - her personality, her kindness, her willingness to give their friendship another chance. And then there is Luc. Oh, Luc. He is could be mistaken for selfish because he doesn't always share his true feelings,
Romance Readers Retreat
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars
There are some books you know going in will leave you a broken and simpering mess and Other Breakable Things is one such book. Being something of a glutton for emotional punishment, I do tend to adore YA books with terminally I'll characters. When I saw this time there was also a road trip thrown into the mix, I practically got whip lash throwing myself into this one.

Luc is on close speaking terms with death. Even after getting a second lease on life he isn't convinced it will take. Whe
Eve
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Three years ago, a terrible accident for a girl saved Luc's life and provided him with a much needed heart to prolong his life.
Now, he finds out the heart is starting to fail and so he needs another transplant. Yet after the anguish of waiting before, he's now contemplating euthanasia, so he can die on his own terms and not his body's terms.

Evelyn, has returned home to their town after her mum took her off to live with her new boyfriend at the time. Evelyn missed seeing Luc and is happy to be ba
SerialReader
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hello-spring
Other Breakable Things by Kelley York and Rowan Altwood just stole a lil' piece of my heart. Splendid!!
The "wife & wife" writing duo -Kelley and Rowan- is exceptionally talented! Together they deliver what's probably one of the best YA you could find on the shelves of your bookstore; Luc and Evelyn are such splendid characters, and you'll fall in love with them immediately.

Read more on The Serial Reader Blog, follow the link and enter for your chance to win the Other Breakable Things Prize
Abbie
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

The characters in this were okay, but I didn't love them.

This was an okay read overall, although I did find that there were parts that struggled to keep my interest slightly.

Overall, An alright read.
Mckinlay
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
*I received an e-arc of this book from netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

[3.5 stars] This is a hard one for me to rate because there was a lot of eye rolling, but in the end, I really enjoyed the story. If you liked The Fault in Our Stars and/or A Walk to Remember i'm fairly confident this will be your kind of book. Those are two of my all time favorites, so of course I was going to like this.

This book deals with assisted suicide, which is a topic I have written a 20 p
Mycoton32
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

18/20 - Une intrigue assez simple mais des personnages qui m'ont énormément touchée !!
Dani B.
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A gorgeous book that reminds us to live our life to the fullest and love to until your heart is full.
Heather Eagar
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you want a story that makes you cry, this book is for you. If you liked Me Before You, this book may be for you. But for me, because I enjoyed Me Before You, I struggled a bit with this novel.

If you read the summary, you know the book has a very similar plot. A girl falls for a boy, and vice versa, but the girl discovers the boy is planning on taking his own life because of an illness. The girl thinks if she can show the boy that life is still worth living, that she can change his mind. Soun
Elizabeth Mathis

Evelyn Abel will fold two thousand if it will bring Luc back to her.

Luc Argent has always been intimately acquainted with death. After a car crash got him a second chance at life—via someone else’s transplanted heart—he tried to embrace it. He truly did. But he always knew death could be right around the corner again.

And now it is.

Sick of hospitals and tired of transplants, Luc is ready to let his failing heart
Holly
Although this is a contemporary, not a mystery or paranormal suspense or spy-thriller, it’s the kind of contemporary that is best read without knowing ahead of time too much about what will happen. So for this review, to avoid any spoilers, I’m not going to go heavily into the plot or what happens at certain points. Rather, I’ll keep to the big picture, in hopes that you will get a feel for why I loved the book without ruining your own reading experience.

So let me go ahead and say this again –
Jilianne
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you want to know my quick review of this book, it's this: This book took me in a roller coaster of emotions and it was so worth it.

Like how can these quotes not get you?

"I'm not made of much time and never have been."

"The most terrifying thing is death claiming me out of nowhere, of having no say over it."

Call me crazy but I was actually looking for a book that had the same feel/tone as this book. Sometimes us readers just want to suffer a little bit, lol. I hate comparing books but if you e
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kelley is a central California girl through and through. She resides in Sacramento with her wife, daughter, a German Shepherd, a handful of cats and rats. In addition to writing, she has her A.S. in Anthropology, and is a graphic designer with a specialty in book cover design. She spends her spare time playing video games and tabletop games like the nerd she is. Her specialty is LGBT+ fiction, usu ...more
More about Kelley York

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Instead he looks over at her, his whole world, and realizes the passenger's side airbag didn't deploy.” 0 likes