Start by marking “Lumber & Law (Shoes & Ties, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lumber & Law (Shoes & Ties, #2)

Lumber & Law

(Shoes & Ties #2)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  186 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
A few months after his brother’s accident, Jesse Brody can’t stop thinking about Troy Evans, the police office that helped solve the case. Even though Troy almost had to arrest him, Jesse is sure he has a shot at a date.

The two meet by chance and share a nice dinner at Jesse’s apartment, which ends with Jesse all over Troy’s lap. Though he isn’t out at work, Troy agrees to
ebook, 1 edition, 95 pages
Published February 11th 2014 by Loose-Id (first published February 10th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Lumber & Law, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lumber & Law

Gigi
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
What you see is what you get with this one. The blurb sums it up perfectly and there are no surprises. Apparently this was a sequel to another book focusing on different characters, but I did not read it. Thumbs up for the gorgeous book cover and Duke, the Golden Retriever, but thumbs down for the boring, been-there-done-that storyline and lackluster sex. Cannot recommend.
Volha
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in this series and it was a nice light read for me. I enjoyed it. This one was more about having courage to come out and accept yourself.

Jesse, Ashten's twin, was described as a womanizer in the first book but here he becomes infatuated with a man and does not know if his feelings will be returned if he makes the first move. He is funny and vivacious. I liked his charm and sense of humor, he brought the sparkle to this book.

And there is Troy the detective. He seems to me
mw138
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it

In this sequel to Shoes & Ties, we now focus on Ashten's twin brother, Jesse. I really liked Jesse and thought he was a fun character. I felt a little bad for him because everyone seemed to think that he didn't take anything seriously, but I saw him as a successful architect who was excellent at his job, handled the family business very well and was motivated and committed to running marathons on a regular basis. Sure, he sometimes spoke before he thought and cracked jokes, but I di
Karen
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars rounded down because still no 1/2 stars here on GR. Full review to follow soonish...included with my review for book #3 'Forever & Always' https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Candice
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I didn't realize that there was a first book and this was a sequel. I kinda got hung up on the cover and while you shouldn't pick books that way, I admit, I did. The plot wasn't anything different or unique, but for a short book it wasn't bad, I will go and read the first one.
Leaundra
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this sequel to "Shoes & Ties. When I first stated reading I didn't realize it was the sequel. I enjoyed Jesse and Troy's story.
Idamus
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Sweet characters, the problems they faced were a bit too neatly wrapped up, before they could really be identified as problems

The dog was the best part of the book
Amy
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
A little predictable but a fun read
Amy Dufera
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Lumber & Law centers around Jesse and Troy.

Jesse has been crushing on Troy from afar for a while. When he meets him, it is because Troy is with Jesse's brother's boyfriend, Trent. Jesse misunderstood the relationship between the two men and punched Trent. Not a good first impression. Ends up that doesn't matter though, as Troy has been crushing on Jesse also.

Jesse has been working non-stop, trying to cover up for his loneliness. He is pleasantly surprised when Troy starts flirting with him w
Tanja
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very charming, sweet story featuring Jesse and Troy, who we met in the first book of the series, Shoes & Ties. It is a fast-moving, well-written story with lovely characters.
Jesse is Ashten’s twin, and from the moment he sees Troy, the police officer on duty during Ashten’s stalker case, he is head over heels. He is kind of surprised by it as he always considered himself straight, but I loved that he embraces it. He just takes it as it is, and that is that he is attracted to a guy. No big
Ayla
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, first-responders
This was a good book that kept me interested. It was short, so there is definitely some insta-love going on. Love is mentioned once after the MCs had hung out twice. So that put me off for a little bit, but it is not mentioned again until they have been hanging out for a few months, and that definitely felt more authentic to me.

I did have a hard time rating this book because Troy made me crazy part of the time. I loved Jesse and how carefree he was. Troy is a good guy and sweet as well, but it
Ramona
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, reviewed
Jesse has watched a man run in the park for six months. Every Sunday he waits for him to run by with his dog. For three months he's known that Troy is a cop. He still sits there and waits till Troy runs by. One day he is tackled by the dog and Troy realizes who he is. What Jesse didn't know is that Troy has been watching him too.

Their mutual attraction quickly turns into a relationship. Troy is adamant that he can't be out. He loves his job and doesn't want to deal with the fallout of him being
Sarita Chapdelaine
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This is another great book in this series and I really enjoyed it. It is well-written and I love the characters and Troy's dog Duke. Ashten and Trent are my favorite couple but Jesse and Troy's story is a lot of fun as well. Jesse and Troy want to be together but staying in the closet for Troy's job may be too much for Jesse to deal with. I don't like how Troy feels pressured to come out at work but both Jesse and Troy hate hiding their relationship. As with the first book, the best part of this ...more
Violet  Marshall
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in The & Series. A wonderful book the writing was great. I read this book in one sitting. The plot was entertaining and it was steady throughout the book. I found the story and characters delightful. The characters were developed and thought out. Jesse and Troy are the MC’s of this book. There was humor, a dog, a burnt dinner, a bigoted coworker, restaurants, police, a marathon, family and more in this book. I can recommend as a good read. I voluntarily read an advanc ...more
Esther Alayeto
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great addition to this lovable series! After meeting Jesse in the first book, Shoes & Ties, I was so glad to his story. Jesse has been crushing on Troy for months and finally gets his chance when they run into each other. They have great chemistry and a strong attraction but Troy isn't out of the "closet," especially not at work. Can Jesse deal with an "in the closet" relationship or will Troy see that love is worth "coming out" for! Wonderfully cute and sweet story with little angst to give ...more
Dixiecowgirl
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it

Cute story about falling in love and finding yourself. A cute dog and two great guys find their way to making a home in this easy to read story. Jesse and Troy have their struggles but their love helps them find their way.

I was gifted this book from the author and i freely give my review
Linda
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Second in this trilogy and as good as the first. Great story, with good characters, yes people from book one are included. Sexy, romantic and a little sad.
An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review.
Kaila
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These 3 books are so much fun to read. they are adorable and sweet and made me very happy. it was sweet and easy going which is a nice change from my dark i have been reading. I love a good light fluffy and the 3rd book made me happy with an ending to the series. i loved them
Keith
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good sequel
This short romance is carried by a decent story line and character development. Jesse and Troy were introduced in the first book, but there’s enough detail for this story to stand alone. Ends on a promising note for tomorrow.
Heather C
I just recently read and enjoyed Shoes & Ties, which is book one of this series. Lumber & Law is about Ashten’s twin bother, who falls for the closeted police officer also introduced in the first book.

Jesse Brody has been sitting on the same park bench every Sunday for the last six months just to get a glimpse of the hot runner with the golden retriever…officer Troy Evans. The two men actually met once, three months ago when Ashten had a little trouble with his boyfriend’s crazy stalker.
Claudia Lezár
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
4,5 stars

PLEASE READ FIRST MY RATING SYSTEM!!!
To my ratings (thanks to amazon I had to change it again and 'upgrade' it a little bit. 5* is now 5,5* and my old 3* is now a 4*):

5,5* - very very good and rare (it would be a Blow-Away-book like 'Liberty' from Seth King,
'Save the kids' series
from EM Leya or 'Jesse's Smile' from Angelique Jurd), it's like an A+
5* - very good and will be often reread and is a WOW-book with interesting plot and surprises
(like most of Andrew Grey books), it's lik
Tyra Berger
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I was so excited when I read the blurb and realized that hottie Detective Troy and Jesse were the MC's for this story. We meet both in the first story and while you get to know Jesse a bit, he really shines in this book.

Detective Troy Evans is so far in the closet he can't see the door, but he looks forward to seeing the hot guy at the park every Sunday on his run.

Jesse is the light hearted goof ball of the Brody family. But he has a serious attraction to the detective that helped his brother an
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, ebook, m-m, romance
This is the first book I’ve read in Jena Wade’s Shoes and Ties series. I start with that to inform you that you can begin the series with Lumber and Law and not be lost. This short and sweet male male romance offers readers two sexy males embarking on a brand new relationship that both initially enjoy but soon discover they don’t like anything about the closet they seem to be stuck in.
It is Troy who believes that the closet is the best place for them. His job in law enforcement leaves him believ
Wax
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-have, mm
A short easy read about Jesse, who is so attracted to policeman Troy that he sits in the park every Sunday for 6 months just to catch a glimpse of him. There's a tiny bit of history between them (from a previous book which I didn't read, so I was initially a bit lost). However, Troy is in the closet and Jesse isn't even really sure he likes men that way. The decision to meet face-to-face is taken out of their hands by an adorable golden retriever, Duke, who tackles Jesse. Their relationship beco ...more
Joyfully Jay
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crissy
A Joyfully Jay review.

Lumber & Law is the second book in Jena Wade’s Shoes & Ties series. This book lets us into the lives of Jesse, Ashten’s twin, and Troy, the detective who helped Ashten and Trent in Shoes & Ties, the first book in this series. This book was a little different than the first. It was sweeter without the mystery. I was a little disappointed by that. I was hoping with a detective and all we could at least have a little bit of that sexy mystery-solving actio
Ana_P
I really liked the premise of the book. I mean, you can't go wrong with a construction worker and a police officer ;)! I thought the writing was pretty good as well, but it was a fairly standard plot about a closeted cop who has to choose to come out or lose the love of his life. Nothing really unexpected happened, making this book pretty predictable. I also felt the ending was a little hurried and everything went too smoothly when Troy finally stepped out of the closet. That being said, I still ...more
Jay

Book Rating: ★★★★☆

Review at WoDF - Lumber & Law
Karen
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another fun, couple hour read with much the same flavor as Shoes & Ties. The editing was a little lacking, but I have to give kudos to Wade for not taking what in my mind was the obvious route in this story. It was perhaps a little less angst-filled this way, but it was nice that it was not so predictable.
Lizzie
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars actually. I liked this one much better. The story was more detailed. Jesse was a laid back, go with the flow kinda of guy. I thought Troy was a bit of a wuss for hiding his sexuality for the reasons he did. I teared up a little when Troy didn't fight for them. Jesse did the right thing though, sticking to his guns and knowing he deserved more.

I'll read the next.
Candice
Feb 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, m-m
NOW I get why Jesse was asking Ashten those questions. EEK! Kinda cute...the park bench.

I really liked Jesse, but I thought Troy was a dick--was that just because I hate closeted relationships? I don't know. But, I didn't like Troy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Brokenhearted (Hope Cove, #1)
  • High Concept
  • Jumping In (ALPHAS #6)
  • Orgasmic Texas Dawn (Orgasmic Texas Dawn, #1)
  • The Ex Factor (Bodyguards Inc. #2)
  • Out of the Shadows
  • The Royal Street Heist (Bissonet & Cruz Investigations, #1)
  • Cataclysmic Shift (The Aloysius Tales, #3)
  • Fireman's Carry (Carry Me #1)
  • COPS
  • Undercover Addiction (Secret Sins #2)
  • Heat Under Fire (By Fire, #4)
  • Sweet Giordan, Please Remember (Hearts in Reverie #1)
  • I Can’t Fight This Feeling Anymore
  • A Rookie Move
  • Second Star to the Right
  • Blessed Curses
  • Mobsters and Miracles
Jena began writing in January of 2013 as a New Year's Resolution--and so far she has stuck to it!

She lives in Michigan. By day she works as a web developer, and at night she writes. Born and raised on a farm, she spends most of her free time outdoors, playing in the garden, or riding her horses. She also helps run the family dairy farm.

Shoes & Ties (2 books)
  • Shoes & Ties (Shoes & Ties, #1)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice