Start by marking “The Castle” as Want to Read:
The Castle

The Castle

A search for the truth about her father’s death takes schoolgirl Peta Jones to a dangerous place ...

It's not just the bridesmaid's dress that Peta has a problem with - it's the whole wedding. How can her mum remarry when her army-hero dad isn't dead? When Peta receives clues that seem to prove he's alive, she sets out on a crazy mission. Somewhere across the sea, her fathe
Published August 7th 2014 by Chicken House Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Castle, please sign up.

Cora Tea Party Princess
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Mystery, thriller, stowaway, missing, secrets.

I don't think that words can express how much I loved this book. It was freaking excellent.

The main character really stood out and I loved how she wouldn't let anything go. She trusted her instincts and she went for it. Peta was an excellent character and I instantly took a great liking to her. Her dad? I wasn't so keen and I couldn't kick the feeling that he was hiding something much bigger.

This is a very different book from what I've read
Maddie
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Emojiathon Book #1: Thriller & Book Without Hype

It's been so long since I've read a good heist and this managed to combine every Ally Carter book ever written into one! I could never predict where the story was going, or what the missing was, but I really loved how quickly it built and the Italian setting *u*
(The yacht scene was giving me Annie: A Royal Adventure vibes and I loved it! Any kind of stowaway situation and I'm on board...literally, you know, because it's a boat.)
Kirsty
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-author, ukya
I really enjoyed this book

Fast paced and exciting throughout. Think a YA book version of the film Taken
Karen Barber
Probably 3.5 stars, but rounded up because I’d have loved this as a younger reader.
Peta can’t get used to the fact her father is dead. She’s adamant he didn’t die in Baghdad but everyone around her thinks she’s in denial. When she receives a strange phone call with a message that only her father would have known, she comes up with a crazy plan to rescue him.
What she finds is way more than she expected.
Stranded on a remote super yacht and surrounded by very wealthy very criminal people, you wonde
Ramita
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
nice book but not a good ending
Debbie at Snuggling on the Sofa
Also posted at http://snugglingonthesofa.com/blog-to...

Less contemporary and more adventure, The Castle tells the story of Peta, whose father was 'supposedly' killed in war. But Peta holds out hope he is still out there somewhere- even if this hope results in her having to see a therapist, as everyone else thinks she is crazy. So when suspicious things start occurring, Peta knows it must have something to do with her dad. And she will do anything she can to try and find him.

'Adventure, Friendshi
Eloise Mae
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
The castle.
This book is about a girl who has lost her soldier father to a car bomb.
She still believes that he is still alive but she is alone in that belief. This is her adventure trying to find her father.
This book contains action adventure and drama genres. The characters were amazing and unique they were different from characters I have read before. I loved the plot line it had twists and turns and was unpredictable . I would rate this book five out of five stars
Sharmien Ajmal
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a great read. It's been a while so I don't remember much but what I do remember is that I took an immediate liking to Peta Jones' character. And Amina's brother, I don't remember his name but that was a deep character too. I was at first suspicious of Peta's dad, lol.
All in all, this is definitely the kind of book I like to curl up with.
Alyson
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fast paced young adult fiction. Peta Jones doesn't believe her father died in a car bomb blast. Little things like the arrival of a kitten on her birthday keep him alive in her mind even though she is in therapy to 'cure' her of these thoughts. A stranger phone call leads on her an adventure to a secret Italian Island that becomes a mission to save her father. Enjoyable read.
Frezanda
There is an error in this book: two hundred millions times ten is two billions.
Peter
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A really good yarn which I thoroughly enjoyed reading, a tale for all ages even thoughtargeted for teenagers.
June Jones
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great unusual story.
Pratiti Majumder
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Super awesome. Best show of relationship between dad and daughter
Tess
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great story. Quite believable for a 14 year old girl. I got this for a bargain £1 at Waterstones, so didn't have much to lose when I picked it up, but pleasantly surprised.
Camilla Chester
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

We follow our heroine as she tries to find her dad whom she knows definitely didn't die in a car bomb like everyone else believes. On her tail are some serious baddies.

The setting is fabulous - a labyrinth of tunnels her only sanctuary and two modern day child slaves her only allies. OMG - it was just great.

Really face-paced thriller. I could definitely see this turning into a film, or at the very least a series of books. What happened? Why did it just stop at one? More please.
Lilly-Anne Burns
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actually was really good! Wasn't expecting it, seeing as I just picked it up on a whim!

Shinteea
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was about 12/13 and I loved it. It was my favourite book for a number of years. Its thrilling, and full of adventure, great for all genders, ages and preferences.
Chrissi
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought it was enjoyable and it captured my attention. It is a fast-paced read which has a mix of adventure, action and secrets.

The Castle centres around Peta Jones. It starts with Peta being a bridesmaid at her mother’s wedding. However, Peta doesn’t believe that her father died in a car bomb blast. She is convinced he is still alive. She is put in therapy to ‘help’ her get rid of these thoughts. Peta is convinced her father is still alive, especially when a kitten arrives on her birthday. A
Jasbr
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jugend
Mir wurde das Buch von meiner Lieblingsbibliothekarin empfohlen. Sie meinte, das Buch wäre deswegen so gut, weil es so realistisch ist.
Vor diesem Hintergrund kann ich ihr nicht ganz zustimmen. Natürlich ist es irgendwie realistisch, allerdings sind die Kreise, in denen das Buch spielt, dann doch nicht so alltäglich (zumindest nicht für mich).
Insgesamt ist das Buch aber sehr spannend und ich habe es gerne gelesen. Die Geschichte ist sehr gut und abwechslungsreich erzählt. Die Sprache ist sehr bil
Nova
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this in one sitting. Peta has been told that her father was killed in a car bomb explosion overseas. His ashes are in the local cemetery. But Peta believes otherwise. She is convinced her dad is still alive somewhere. Her mother remarries, Peta discovers some people are out to kidnap and kill her as a result of her father's doings. Peta plans to escape the kidnappers and find her father. The unrelenting plot involves revolutions, a dictator, computer hacking, slaves and a corrupt family. ...more
Zoe
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A page turner! Think Secret Seven meets James Bond, with interesting ideas about what it means to do good, and get involved in other people's affairs.
jesreman
Apr 08, 2018
Tanja
Mar 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Water Born (The Drowning, #2)
  • Goddess
  • Boarding School Girls
  • Hinterland
  • Dandelion Clocks
  • Hidden Among Us (Hidden Among Us #1)
  • Flashes
  • Dear Vincent
  • Head of the River
  • Nymfit – Montpellierin legenda (Nymfit, #1)
  • Mutant City (Mutant City, #1)
  • The Ones That Disappeared
  • Where the Rock Splits the Sky
  • Rampage at Waterloo (Battlesaurus, #1)
  • Kid Got Shot  (The Garvie Smith Mysteries #2)
  • Simple
  • The Evolution of Ethan Poe
  • Chasing Stars (After Eden, #2)
My name’s Sophia, and I write about girls discovering their inner power. Sometimes they’re fashion designers, sometimes they’re would-be pop stars and sometimes they’re spies. They’re always a lot braver than they know, and I love it when they finally figure that out.

Since I won the Times/Chicken House competition in 2009 my books have been published around the world, from Germany to Brazil and Ja