Start by marking “Death of an Outsider (Hamish Macbeth, #3)” as Want to Read:
Death of an Outsider (Hamish Macbeth, #3)

Death of an Outsider

(Hamish Macbeth #3)

Dreary Cnothan's most hated man is dumped into a tank filled with lobsters then eaten in Britain's best restaurants. Exiled there with his dog Towser, Hamish Macbeth misses his beloved Highland village Lochdubh, Priscilla, and easy lazy days. His superiors want the business hushed up, a dark-haired lass wants his body, and a killer is out for more blood. On TV show.
Audiobook, 5 pages
Published 2013 by Audible, Inc. (first published 1988)

Start your review of Death of an Outsider (Hamish Macbeth, #3)
Ken
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable cozy mystery set it the Scottish highlands, a nice breezy read along with a great mystery for Macbeth to solve.

Temporary in charge of Cnothan, Hamish Macbeth soon realises that the locals are sceptical about outsiders, especially William Mainwaring who has ruffled a few feathers.

Having been written during the late 80’s there was a few mentions of ‘poofter’ and aids, which seemed slightly jarring.
I found myself cringing through them places...

But overall found it to be an easy
Juli
Nothing ever seems to go right for Hamish MacBeth. He's sent away from his usual post at Lochdubh to Cnothen while the local constable is away on an extended vacation. MacBeth arrives with his faithful dog Towser to discover the little village really doesn't like outsiders. Then there's William Mainwaring....an Englishman who seems to enjoy angering everyone he comes across with his snide know-it-all comments. MacBeth can't be his usual lazy, slow-going self with all the strange goings ...more
Luffy
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have nothing but effusive, gushing and rapturous praise for M.C. Beaton. Will she keep that form all the way to her latest books? Who cares? For now I'm in heaven. Wonderful book! Brilliant! I'll be lucky if I get a better one to read this year. I've never, ever read about the (a more acerbic version of) equivalent of Lestrade/Japp try to imitate the hero of the book and try to grill the suspects till one of them confessed! So original! Took my breath away! And then with perfect timing, ...more
Julie  Durnell
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, england-uk
I am really liking this series - this is my third read of the Hamish series and each book surprises me with how much I enjoy the Scottish Highlands setting, the small town cast of characters, and the honorable, down to earth, and loyal copper Hamish Macbeth, who seems to march to a different drummer. I love the way he interacts with local people and deducts the murderous intents of all the suspects-what a great guy to have a conversation with! Looking forward to the next book of Hamish!
Bill
Death of an Outsider is the 3rd book in M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth cozy mystery series set in Scotland. Constable Macbeth has been ordered to replace Sgt MacGregor of Cnothan for three months while the Sgt is taking his vacation. That means taking his dog Towzer out of his comfortable residence at Lochdubh and bus down to this dour town. Strangers aren't popular there and the place reminds me of the town the League of Gentleman. Well, maybe not quite so strange. But Hamish is very unhappy. ...more
Ellie
Death of an Outsider is my second foray into M.C. Beaton's series about Scottish policeman Hamish Macbeth. I had only a small curiosity to begin with but then enjoyed my first read so much I quickly moved to a second.

This is a series which, for me, proves what pleasure a series can give when it works. Individually the books are enjoyable, but the pleasure of the second was far greater because I had read another. Hamish Macbeth is not an overwhelmingly charming or intelligent or clever detective
Joanne
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read. Just love the way how every situation is different and absorbing.
Andrew
Aug 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a gentle read - to me the likes of sunday night TV - ironic really considering that several of the books were the basis of a TV series with Robert Carlisle in it. The books already have set their own formula with a good natured but intimately rascal of police officer who only really wants a quite life, secluded stretch of river to go poaching on and time with the love of his life Pricilla, however things never really work out so easily and with constant moving around the various beats, ...more
Bridget
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hamish is back and on the hunt for a murderer again. Sadly this one was a bit less engaging than the two before it. Hamish started to annoy me. I'm not a fan of his attitude to women. He is a bit condescending and frankly, just a bit irritating. I'll have a rest from him for a bit.
Caitlin
In Death of an Outsider, Hamish Macbeth is exiled to chilly Cnothan with only his loyal mutt Towser after his nemesis Inspector Blair yet again takes credit for Macbeth's murder solving skills. Cnothan's normal policeman is off on vacation and given the idyllic calm of Lochdubh, Hamish is sent along to keep an eye on Cnothan in the other's absence. Unlike Lochdubh, the residents of Cnothan are rude, suspicious individuals who welcome outsiders about as much as cats welcome a particularly yappy ...more
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
✨ Gramy ✨
Hamish is such a kind and compassionate man, who also likes to relax and enjoy himself. I have really enjoyed this series and getting acquainted with him.

Looking forward to more adventures through his eyes.
Peri
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They just keep getting better - can't put them down. I have no idea really what the appeal is to me. They are entertaining without being taxing is the best I can think of.

I also really disliked the character that got murdered in this one!
Sue Smith
A fast and easy read - this wee tome won't take long and will leave you satisfied.

It's light (and at some times down right silly) but our hero is a likeable fellow with a keen eye for detail that just so happens to (along with his quick wit and a debonair flare) keep him out of trouble and in the ladies favours, all while solving some murders in his temporary fill-in job. Hamish Macbeth makes it all seem easy!
Jonathan
At first when I read the back of this book and realized that Hamish was going to be in a new town I was wary to start reading, but this book was a great read that was almost better than the last two books.

I think Hamish showed some development in this book. He wasn't just thinking about Priscilla as much as he thought about her in the previous books,a nd it was a nice change.

The beginning was a bit hard to get into but by the end this book was quick-paced and fun to read. I'd easily recommend it
Greg
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
A light, refreshing read. I finished Hallberg's sprawling, difficult "City of Fire" yesterday and M.C. Beaton's great characters and Scotland settings felt like a well-deserved vacation. Next I'm thinking of diving back into Proust, or perhaps the latest Houellebecq, "Submission", and thankfully I already have Macbeth #4 and #5 here at home on my to-read shelf for a return to Beaton's enjoyable, sometimes comical, world.
Gail
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hamish Macbeth, local policeman and mystery-solver extraordinaire, is seconded to a nearby town to run the police station while its usual inspector is away. Faced with an unfriendly and taciturn population, Hamish struggles to win the trust of the townsfolk when the local rich landowner is found dead and Hamish doggedly pursues the murderer. I like this humourous series; Hamish is quietly brilliant and one can't help but like him.
Julie Davis
I enjoyed this much more than the first two books of the series. Many of the same elements are there, but by moving Hamish MacBeth to another village to fill in for a vacationing colleague, M.C. Beaton somehow shook things up so that this book felt very different from the previous ones in the series. It was interesting seeing Hamish on new romantic territory and when the murder was being related I simply couldn't imagine how anyone was going to unravel the series of events.

I only hope she can
Lori
May 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Now and then you just have to stop and read a short British/Scottish, small village
murder mystery before moving through your reading list.
Ellen
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: setting, story, character
Engaging listening, this is character driven cosy-ish crime.
Cheryl Fontes
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story. Could not figure out who dun it! Lolol.
Jim
Oct 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on the first three books of the series (reiterate from previous two reviews also), I assume following will go forward in the series:
--The writing just rolls along, making the book easy to read.
--It is Scottish. My two years living in England gets me through most without problems, but there are a few Scottish words/phrases that loss me.
--Her first book I complained of her shifting view point. That doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.
--The titles pretty much tells you who is to be murdered
Anna
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If I had any doubt, this book confirmed that the big reason I keep reading the series is Hamish Macbeth. Beaton did use a fairly original plot device this time, and I liked the side plot with Diurmiad Sinclair (another strong character, which seems to be her strength), but other aspects of the story were only OK.

Several aspects of the plot and denouement were more asserted than plausible, and other developments were easy to foresee. Still, not a terrible way to spend a weekend. I laughed
Gail
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Another fun book about Hamish Macbeth, a lazy, unambitious constable in Scotland. He's also smart, canny, and very curious. He is sent for three months to work at another village; this one populated by a dour, sour group of people. There's an Englishman acting like he's lord of the manor. If ever there was a man wanting killing, it's him. He is murdered in a rather gruesome way.

Macbeth plods along, seemingly outside the police working the case, asking questions and getting people to talk to him.
Anna Bendewald
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for a cozy mystery to take with me on vacation. I was completely relaxing, brought no work with me, not even my computer -- only my phone so I downloaded these two stories via Audible. I got sucked into the highlands of Scotland and the vivid atmosphere of the countryside and then the murder mysteries that kept my interest and kept me transported.

How much did I like this book? Well, not 5 stars like a book that changes my life or anything, but I downloaded more of the Hamish
Msjodi777
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
For some reason, I keep spacing these out for a long time... long enough that I forget that I have them. While I really like hardcore murder mysteries and thrillers (with one or two exceptions,) I like these because the main character, Hamish Macbeth, is so small town easy going. Ha, does that make sense? He gets in there, talks to everyone involved, finds clues, and gets the job done, so that the bumbling chief can take the credit. Not my normal fare, but I really did like this one, and would ...more
Judy
Apr 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
M.C. Beaton is one of my favorite authors. I am working my way through every single Hamish MacBeth book and am afraid I will go into withdrawal when I finish the last one...not a pretty thought. I did however order the BBC miniseries of Hamish MacBeth (from netflix) and I am not sure I can ever forgive the BBC for making the original tall & gangling Hamish MacBeth SHORT and without his bright red hair. How could the BBC do that? Anyway, it's a good series, even so. Fortunately, there are ...more
LJ
Death of an Outsider - Good
Beaton, M.C. - 3rd in series

Nobody in the cloistered Highlands town of Cnothan, where Constable Macbeth is on temporary duty, had liked the abrasive Englishman, William Mainwaring, and now that he's been murdered no one much minds.

Enjoyable but light. This is one series where I actually preferred the BBC television series over the books. Never thought I'd say that!
Sian Kerr
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mysteries
Death of an Outsider by M.C.Beaton

I'd read plenty of Agatha Raisin and I thought it was about time I investigate Hamish Macbeth. I'd never seen the TV series so I had no preconceived ideas about what the man would be like, but I was pleasantly surprised. The character of Hamish Macbeth is likeable and you want him to succeed in solving his mysteries. All of the books have the same strong plot that the Agatha Raisin collection has and as always I never work out the ending.
Kelsey Hanson
This is another just okay fluffy light read for me. I did think it was interesting to see Hamish chasing after a different girl after his constant rejection by Priscilla. I feel like this was a bit lost on me because I didn't quite understand certain Scottish customs and laws which were key to the actual murder, but I did enjoy the Scottish scenery and fun characters.

• Snobbery With Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Minerva (The Six Sisters, #1)
  • Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Sir Philip's Folly  (Poor Relation, #4)
  • The Scandalous Lady Wright (Bad Husbands, #1)
  • Sick of Shadows (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #3)
  • Deirdre and Desire (The Six Sisters, #3)
  • Lady Fortescue Steps Out (Poor Relation, #1)
  • Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue  (Poor Relation, #5)
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Mrs. Budley Falls from Grace (Poor Relation, #3)
  • Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #3)
  • Back in Society (Poor Relation, #6)
  • Tee? Kaffee? Mord! - Die blauen Pudel des Sir Theodore (Nathalie Ames ermittelt 3)
  • Rendez-vous avec le Danger (Les Détectives du Yorkshire, #5)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Ball (Mrs. Jeffries, #5)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the

Hamish Macbeth (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1)
  • Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)
  • Death of a Perfect Wife (Hamish Macbeth, #4)
  • Death of a Hussy (Hamish Macbeth, #5)
  • Death of a Snob (Hamish Macbeth, #6)
  • Death of a Prankster (Hamish Macbeth, #7)
  • Death of a Glutton (Hamish Macbeth, #8)
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth, #9)
  • Death of a Charming Man (Hamish Macbeth, #10)
  • Death of a Nag (Hamish Macbeth, #11)