Start by marking “Bittersweet Catastrophe (Second Chances, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Bittersweet Catastrophe (Second Chances, #2.5)

Bittersweet Catastrophe

(Second Chances #2.5)

**Now available: Amazon, B&N, iTunes, and Kobo!**

***NOW A FULL LENGTH NOVEL!***

For•ev•er (fɔːˈrɛvə; fə-): without end; everlasting; eternally

It might have taken twenty-two years to find Liberty, but now that Shayne has her, he’s not willing to let her go without a fight.

Shayne and Liberty finally found their forever, leaving Shayne’s past indiscretions behind and movin
Published August 18th 2014 (first published August 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Bittersweet Catastrophe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bittersweet Catastrophe

Jennifer  Weeks
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s, na, guys-pov
I was given an arc for an honest review.And this book does not deserve 5 stars it deserves a billion stars.

This was such a very well written book and must say beautifully written as well.I felt like the author was shayne Thompson in another life.The way she captured shayne and put his voice and all of him out on paper was phoniminal.She said it was hard writing a male pov, to be honest I think she nailed it. It was so realistic and detailed I felt like I sat on my couch watching a movie played o
Tantalizing
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, ugly-cry
***WARNING: Keep tissues handy while reading this book.***

After reading Relinquishing Liberty, I was completely in love with Shayne and Liberty. Don't get me wrong I love all the characters in the Second Chance Series, but Shayne stole my heart and I will not be asking for it back. He's mine! Back off!

Before you panic, Bittersweet Catastrophe can be read as a standalone. Maureen provides the reader with enough backstory so that you completely understand the story. However, I recommend you read
Silla Webb
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shayne Thompson is one of my very favorite book boyfriend's. I was first introduced to Shayne in Relinquishing Liberty (Second Chances #1) and was thrilled when Maureen told me she was writing a novel from his point of view. But that was all she told me. Sneaky woman failed to mention that she'd rip my heart from my chest, and cause me to have a chest wracking sobs at 3 am as I finished this novel. I was gutted.

3 small words.

That's it. 3 small words is all it takes to rip your world apart,pulli
Maureen Mayer
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Now LIVE on Amazon! Can't wait for all of you to see a whole other side of Shayne! <3

Secretly Adorkable Readers
This synopsis makes me a tad bit nervous but loved it! It is a bit shorter than the others so I read it within 2-3 hrs. This is a continuation of Shayne and Liberty from book 1 starting with their pregnancy that was announced in the 2nd book. This book left me in unexpected tears and was truly a bittersweet and beautiful.

"The day that fire inside you burns out, my flame will extinguish right along with you...because I can't live in a world where you don't exist."

I wanted to strangle Shayne mor
Shannon
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Irene
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
OMG 5 heart wrenching stars

*****WARNING You will want to have a box of tissue handy*******
Don't have a box of tissue then maybe one of those travel size packs, or a hanky, or a shirt you don't care about. You will want something to wipe away your tears and to blow your nose. This book brings light to many things. Men need to pay attention to their woman's bodies, and listen to mother's intuition.

Bittersweet Catastrophe is in Shaynes POV. I love to know what a man is thinking and how he is feeli
Twin Sisters Rockin' Book Reviews
Overall Rating: 5 Rockin’ ★★★★★

From the moment Liberty literally ran me down on the beach, my life was forever changed. When she opened her eyes and looked into mine it was like she saw me, all of me. Regardless of the pain in my past this woman gave me peace and she was the piece that made me whole. Liberty was now my wife the light to my darkness and the joy that I found each day! Our prayers had been answered, we were finally becoming parents. So when the doctor said twins needless to say, I’
Ange from Cover to Cover Book Blog
I fell hard for Shayne and Liberty is the first book in the Second Chances’ series (Relinquishing Liberty). I was so excited to read this novella that is in Shayne’s point of view. Little did I know that I was in for the ugliest cry I have had in a while. Thanks Maureen. LOL This book should be issued with a warning and the swag should be tissues!

When we left Shayne and Liberty, they were having their HEA and everything was rainbows and unicorns. They were moving beyond their painful pasts. Thi
Chrissy
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014, arcs, series
Complimentary copy provided by author for an honest review.

I have been wanting more Shayne since I read Relinquishing Liberty and to get Bittersweet Catastrophe only in his POV was amazing! I absolutely love this series and Shayne is one of my all time favorite book boyfriends!

We get to see more of Shayne and Liberty's relationship after the events of Relinquishing Liberty and Unforeseen Heartbeat, but not everything is great with these two. I mean don't get me wrong, the beginning is amazing, t
Heather Way
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book started off with Shayne watching his wife Liberty looking for something under the better. Finally she found it and now they were off to the OBGYN appointment. For over a year they had been trying to get pregnant. And they have been unsuccessful for a year. Finally after a year of trying they are Surprised and are now conceiving . Both decided to wait to tell anyone.
It was amazing how much Shayne loves his wife. He makes me wish my husband was more like him. You could tell he was devot
Catherine
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again I am never failed by the authors I love! Another hit out of the ballpark Maureen!

Now going into this book I was fully prepared for a great story with me laughing my ass off. What I was not ready for is to have heart racing tears coming and going till the end, but wow what a great way to read through it!

Seeing the world threw Shayne's eyes was invigorating. The love he felt for Liberty was moving and heartfelt. The trials and tribulation he goes through break your same heart that was
Megan
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
OMG Maureen Mayer knows how to pull every emotion out of you in her stories. I swear I went from laughing one moment, to fanning my myself the next, and then I’d be tearing up. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and plowed through the story in just a few hours. I seriously couldn’t put it down.
Shane and Liberty have been through a lot together but they’re now happily married. They now have new challenges to face together. Some are exciting and some are downright scary. I loved getting a
Brianna at Renee Entress's Blog
5 COMPLETE STARS!

I really enjoyed this book. Hell, I enjoyed this series. This was a nice complimentary book with a continuation of Shayne and Liberty. I always want more at the end of books because not every relationship all the time is roses and glitter. Real people have real relationship issues and this book is kind of what happens after they find their happy ending. It was interesting to see Shayne and Liberty go through real relationship issues and more.

I loved Shayne even more in this book
Kim
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of Bittersweet Catastrophe in exchange for an honest review. This was book 2.5 in the series. This is Shayne's story. I have to say this was a very hard book to read for me. I lost my friend to Breast Cancer on Aug 28th of this year and laid her to rest on Sept 2nd. I didn't know what this book had instore for me but the series is awesome and I so recommend. Well because I was wrapped up in the series I couldn't not read this story when I found out Liberty was pregnant and the ...more
Book Worms  United
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
These just keep getting better! Although I was seriously on the verge of an emotional breakdown reading this one! This continues Liberty and Shayne's journey. These two have a great relationship and still only have eyes, and hearts, for each other. They get a wonderful blessing, followed by some really frightening news. This puts their love in the ultimate test. When it comes down to it and the very reason for Shayne to live is slipping through his fingers, he has to decide to hang on or say goo ...more
Michelle Nageldinger
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bittersweet Catastrophe by Maureen Mayer
5 stars
Received an ARC in exchange for an honest review from Addicted to books and authors
This book takes place after the first two in the series but is told in Shayne's POV. He has found all he has ever wanted in Liberty and for a year they have been trying with no success to get pregnant. When she finally realizes she is pregnant life throws them a major curve ball and we see how real life can be. I don't like to give away spoilers so I won't get to into
Heather andrews
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*******************MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*************************************

Can I just say I loved Shayne's father, "oh man," he bellowed out, wiping the tears the brimmed his eyes, and stood tall with his hands propped up on his hips. "Son, I haven't laughed that hard since the first time you woke up with morning wood and thought your d*** was going to fall off." Liberty that girl is pushy when she wants something, "haven't you even heard the saying pregnant women have an increased sex drive?"
Sam
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*Copy was provided for an honest review *
Please note this review covers all 3 of Maureen's books.
I had the extreme pleasure to get given a copy of all 3 of these great books from Maureen for an honest review, I loved them so much I ordered signed copies of the first two in paperback. And will be getting the third book once it becomes available. I have never meet an author who can spin a love story the way Maureen can and I am not ashamed to say i cried my eyes out with the last book . So emotio
Amazeballs Book Addicts
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bittersweet Catastrophe is a great read. It's book 2.5 of the Second Chances series. It can be read as a standalone. Maureen Mayer did a wonderful job writing it and you won't be lost if you didn't read the first book, Relinquishing Liberty. I would recommend you read Relinquishing Liberty first but it's not required.

In Bittersweet Catastrophe we get more of Shayne and Liberty's story. It's told in Shayne's POV. I love Shayne's character and it was great to read Shayne's POV. Shayne and Libert
Michelle Follis
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WOW!! What a great addition to the series. If you were not already in love with Shayne, you will be by the time you finish this book. Liberty and Shayne have such a sweet and loving story and with all that Shayne has been through with his mothers death at a young age and his playboy ways for so long, it is enduring to see him be such a great husband.

I have so much I want to say about this book but if I tell you too much then I will spoil your journey. I will tell you now, get a glass of wine in
Brenda Wright
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you've read the Second Chances series,then you've been waiting for this novella!! Shayne and Liberty. Now I liked Shayne, but Brett is my man. But after reading Bittersweet Catastrophe, I like Shayne a lot more now! My heart ached for him. Hell, I sobbed for him!! I sobbed for Liberty! I sobbed a lot in this story!! It's hard to tell you about the story without spoilers. Just know that you will NEED to read this. If you haven't read the series....get on it!! Relinquishing Liberty is first, th ...more
Renee Entress
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014
Bittersweet Catastrophe (Second Chances, #2.5)
Shayne and Liberty have everything going for them when tragedy strikes. Liberty makes a decision for their family that could be the wrong one but she refuses to budge on the decision.
With her friends help will she change her mind or ruin the relationship she has fought so hard to have to begin with. Or will she stick to her decision and ruin everything
Reading order:
Relinquishing Liberty (Second Chances, #1)
Unforeseen Heartbeat (Second Chances, #2)
Renee at Book Happiness
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this for an honest review and I have to say that I loved it. It was the perfect follow up to Shayne and Liberty's story. This story truly showed how much the two of them loved each other and how they were perfect for each other. This whole series just takes a hold of me and keeps me guessing what is going to be next..
I will apologize right now because this is not a long review. I honestly feel as though if I say anymore I will be giving it away and I do not want to do that.
P.S. Read
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
This is definitely my favourite in the series. I highly recommend you read book one before you read this. I was super excited to read more about Liberty and Shayne.

This story is told from Shaynes point of view. It's a really brilliantly written story. Lots of ups and downs had me gripped.

If your looking for a brilliant emotional rollercoaster then I highly recommend this book and of course the others in the series. Brilliant stories. I loved them.
Makayla Sasse
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I won an ARC copy of this book and let me tell you. It was a total page turner. I couldn't put it down for a second until I had to. I loved Shayne in this book and I loved that I got to know him better and what he was thinking. If he was a real person I would want to know him. It was a total shocker at the end that basically almost made me cry but it definitely kept me on my toes. Maureen Mayer really out did herself with Shayne's POV. I was very impressed.
Christina Turner
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Um Shayne's voice---NAILED IT!

Well Mayer made me cry a little while reading this full length book. It was a sweet story and often had me laughing out loud. I like that it touched on Brett too! I loved Shayne from the very first book and it was nice to see how Hunter was doing.

Writing was superb
Pace was awesome
It was a wonderful roller coaster and I'm happy I got to see what Shayne and Liberty were up to. And really happy about that ending!

5 well deserved stars
Andrea Doss
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*won an ARC in a giveaway*

I loved this book! It was so well written... Shayne continues to.be my favorite alpha male especially after reading this one! Liberty is still fierce and amazing... this book.definitely doesn't disappoint!
Julie Fleming
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book should come with a warning label or a pack of tissue. Trust me I was booger crying and it takes a lot to make that happen.
Maureen had an amazing gift that allows her readers to not only feel her characters emotions but to feel a part of the story.
Gemma Weir
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Check Out more of my reviews on my blog www.gemmareadstoomuchforittomenormal....

Bittersweet Catastrophe is book #2.5 in the Second Chances Series, Having read the previous two books in the series I was excited to get started on this follow on story for Shane & Liberty. I was given an ARC by the author in exchange for an honest review so here goes...

This book was not what I was expecting at all!!!

If you are looking for a happy go lucky extended epilogue with a smidge of drama this is NOT the

• Devil's Prey (Dance With The Devil #1)
  • Aiden's Betrayal (Guardians of the Society #1)
  • Shattered Lies (The Unraveled Trilogy, #3)
  • Clover
  • Twist Of Fate
  • No Reservations (The Winemaker's Dinner, #0.6)
  • Finding Us (A Nucci Securities Novel, #1)
  • Eraser Crimson (Eraser #4)
  • Amuse Bouche (The Winemaker's Dinner, #1.5)
  • Angel of Mine
  • Full Throttle (Love & Repair, #2.5)
  • Burn (Spark, #2)
  • Taste Test (Sensations Collection, #2)
  • Jack Stone - Wild Justice  (The Dark Master #1)
  • Paris Love Match
  • Home Sweet Home (I Remember You, #2)
  • Bitter Fruits (Eden's Fall, #1)
  • The Procedure
Maureen Mayer was born and raised in Buffalo, NY, and most recently relocated to Columbia, MD with her loving and supportive fiancé. She's always had a great love for the outdoors and can often be found hiking, fishing, camping, or lying on the beach. She's a sucker for off-color humor, but holds a sweet spot for sick and twisted horror films. When she's not writing, you can find her curled up in ...more

Second Chances (4 books)
  • Relinquishing Liberty (Second Chances, #1)
  • Unforeseen Heartbeat (Second Chances, #2)
  • Silent Repercussions (Second Chances, #3)