Start by marking “Ash & Bramble (Ash & Bramble, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ash & Bramble (Ash & Bramble, #1)

Ash & Bramble

(Ash & Bramble #1)

A prince.

A ball.

A glass slipper left behind at the stroke of midnight.

The tale is told and retold, twisted and tweaked, snipped and stretched, as it leads to happily ever after.

But it is not the true Story.

A dark fortress.

A past forgotten.

A life of servitude.

No one has ever broken free of the Godmother’s terrible stone prison until a girl named Pin attempts a breathless, d
Published September 15th 2015 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Ash & Bramble, please sign up.
Samantha Ash and Bramble is the first book out of two. It goes
1. Ash and Bramble
2. Rose and Thorn
3. The author hasn't come out with book three and I don't k…more
Ash and Bramble is the first book out of two. It goes
1. Ash and Bramble
2. Rose and Thorn
3. The author hasn't come out with book three and I don't know if the author plans to come out with book three.
Hope this answers your question!!(less)

Start your review of Ash & Bramble (Ash & Bramble, #1)
Ai Haibara
UPDATE 19/2/15
*Sees cover*

description

Aside from the fact that red is soooo not a Cinderella colour, why the fuck is there a girl on the cover with the most fucking generic looking red dress ever. What the hell happened to creativity?!

And can we talk about the proportions of the model?

description

The wonders of photoshop. Seriously though, someone needs to fire who ever did the cover because aside from the terrible proportions edit, the cover looks amateur as fuck. And this is being published by HarperTeen.

I almos
shady boots
Oct 27, 2014 marked it as to-read
Seriously, this is a HarperTeen book and the best they could do was that cover? Christ, Harper, what happened? You guys are usually the king of gorgeous covers. That is a hot mess and a half.
Sarah Elizabeth
Dec 17, 2014 rated it liked it
This was such a strange book, and I didn’t really enjoy it. I found the story quite confusing as so little was explained, and I got really bored.

5 out of 10
Susana

Arc provided by Harper Teen through Edelweiss

Release Date: September 15 th

Part of me can't help wonder how much I would have _ or not _ enjoyed this title if I wasn't reviewing it.

Thing is, reading for reviewing purpose is different from reading for enjoyment: I find myself constantly trying to analyse this and that, without mentioning the fact that I am constantly evaluating which rating I should give.

Then there's the second guessing myself, especially in cases such as this, in which the s
Tamara
1,5 STARS

The Number of UGHs:

1. The names (A seamstress named Pin? A shoemaker named Shoe? WHAT THE F-? I cant take a character called Shoe seriously, ok?

2. The whole plot

3. The execution (Wonderful idea used so poorly)

4. The writing and the dual povs The writing was so plain and how it switched between first and third person at the worst times bothered me a lot)

5. The pacing (the dual povs hurt the story so much. Whenever things started to get a bit interesting in Pin's pov, the scene was cut an
Carla *Jen7waters*
wait... is this a love triangle...?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm not going to lie, what drew me first to this novel was the unusual cover. It caught my eye and demanded that I read the synopsis. When I saw that it was a retelling, and a dark one at that, I knew this would be the read for me.

What if the real villain of the story wasn't the Witch but the Godmother instead? What if we never got to choose our own endings, happy or not, but they were chosen for us? Forced onto us by a sinister power that has grown too strong over time? What if everything we t
Brandi
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of retellings

**** Any quotations used are subject to change by final print – this review is based on the ARC ****

I think I need to let go of the fact that there’s a retelling out there I could love.

Ash & Bramble is a Cinderella retelling and the best thing I can say about it is that is worlds better than Cinder was for me. I’m not rating this high (it’s just ok for me) but I think if you’re someone that enjoys retellings, and likes a dark twist to them, you will probably love this book.

The
Vilma Iris
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sinister, suspenseful and spellbinding—Prineas re-imagines the much-loved story of Cinderella in a way that made it impossible to stop reading.

Sarah Prineas weaves a story blurred by magic and fate, shackled by happy ever afters. She deconstructs the well-known story of Cinderella, unexpectedly twisting elements and forging them with recognizable facets of other fairy tales. The result is an imaginative, sinister and suspenseful tale which is somewhat ironical, but entirely enchanting.

A dress as
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages read: 83

*sighs*

I was so excited for Ash & Bramble. All of Sarah Prineas' books have sounded like Christina books, and HELLO I AM HERE FOR ALL THE FAIRY TALE RETELLINGS.

The thing is that fairy tale retellings tend to either be amazing or womp womp. This one's a womp womp for me.

I just don't care about the characters who are, for plot reasons, without memories, so they're pretty much blank slates. They're cardboard to the max. Also, they go by Pin (because she's a seamstress) and Shoe (beca
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Oct 28, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
We all know I'm gonna read it. It's a retelling with a freaken prince at a ball. My fantasies printed in a book.
Willow Hadley
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a very odd book. The concept of this fairytale retelling is definitely interesting and new, and also quite creepy. I really liked a lot of aspects of this story, but had some issues with the characters and the writing. I just didn't feel invested about the characters at any point reading this. And the writing is so weird--it's hard to get used to. Every few paragraphs or so, the writing continuously switches back and forth between first person, second person, and third person. Not really ...more
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library
I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

SUMMARY

When Pin dares to escape her slavery of making fairytale clothing for a magical Godmother, she and her Shoemaker friend are captured and catapulted into an irresistible world where the prince is having a ball and no one recalls their past. This original Cinderella retelling has more
Michelle
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 Stars *spoilers*

Through this entire story I was thinking about how I was going to rate it. My rating changed so much through the story's ups and downs. Overall this was a very interesting story. The concept is nothing like I have seen before and I was craving more and more of it.

I love that it wasn't a simple retelling of Cinderella even though this is what grabbed my attention in the first place (I love Cinderella retellings). However, it wasn't just about meeting a prince, going to a ball,
Sherwood Smith
Mar 07, 2016 added it
Shelves: fantasy
Copy provided by publisher.

I really looked forward to this, as I admire Sarah Prineas's work. And it was unusual, totally unpredictable. Hats off to Prineas for trying to explore fairy tales in an unusual way . . . but I'm not quite sure it worked, at least for a reader who expects a bit more glamour and fun in a fairy-tale fantasy.

Pin and Shoe are so ground down, their lives dreary and miserable for a great deal of the book. It's a gritty story, and when we finally find out the central mystery,
Heidi The Reader
Ash & Bramble is a fantasy with various fairytale elements woven into it that fails to coalesce into something greater. There is a forbidding castle on the edge of a dark forest. Within that castle, men and women slave their lives away for the Godmother, a demanding, magical tyrant. One of the seamstresses, a girl named Pin, knows that she has to get out because life isn't meant to be this way. She can't remember her past, but in her pocket, is a magical thimble...

It started out well, but, like
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well written story! I was not a huge fan of the front half of the book I thought it dragged I almost rated this a 3. But I loved the last half of the book that's where all the good stuff is. I didn't really grow too fond of any of the characters though. Maybe The Huntsman, Templeton, and Zel.
Stacee
Apr 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I do love a good retelling and since this one seemed a bit darker, I couldn't wait to get my greedy hands on it.

I really liked Pin and Shoe. I loved how all of the fairy tales played into the story and how they all intermingled. I enjoyed the build up in part 1, but the part 2 of the story rally fell flat for me. It seemed to lose a lot of the spark that was needed to keep the story moving. But part 3 had things moving right along again.

Overall, it was a bit slow here and there, but still a fu
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This review was originally posted on It Starts at Midnight
I don't really know what to say about Ash & Bramble, which is a big part of why it is getting the mini-review treatment. I had heard that the first half of the book was rather slow, so I went in knowing and expecting it (and it turned out to hold true for me), but I had powered through in the hopes that the book would become more exciting in the second half. And it did, just not enough to make up for the first half.

I liked Shoe and his s
Beth
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I recognize that there are some really interesting ideas explored in Ash & Bramble. But the worldbuilding isn't solid enough to prevent me from asking a lot of questions that I think are vital and unaddressed.

How does the Story world relate to the real world, especially considering characters from the real world are physically kidnapped and brought to another geographic, fairly-close-by location? Who gave the Godmother her magic, and who compelled her to enforce the stories? Pen's "we give stor
Joelle (Throne of books)
Have you ever read a book where you're not sure wether you liked the book or not bc same.
Ashley Bogner
Aug 01, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: fantasy
I'm marking this on as "did not finish" for now. Not because of content, but because I'm really just not in the mood at the moment. I may pick it up again later!
Elesia
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-releases
*3.5 stars*

I really enjoyed this retelling even though I did have some issues with it! Despite the issues I still thought this was a very interesting take on the fairytale of Cinderella!
Dahlia
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-releases
This was a really fun, subversive look at fairytales, and oh how I appreciated the disdain for the homogeneity of the supposed Happily Ever Afters. So many bonus points for making Rapunzel a hot lesbian. SO MANY.
Brandy Painter
Originally posted here at Random Musings of a Bibliophile.

I have established that I love fairy tales and fairy tale retellings. You know what else I love? Books written by Sarah Prineas. Both her MG series are great favorites of mine. When she happened to mention on Twitter long ago that she was working on a YA, I followed closely eager to read whatever the result was. Ash & Bramble is a fabulous work of genius.

(I consider Sarah a friend as well as an author I love, and she sent me the ARC I'm r
Sarah Guo
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SO GOOD!
Ash & Bramble is an imaginative retake on the Cinderella fairytale, it's not a straight retelling but instead it takes it's own path and turns everything you thought you knew on it's head. Let's just wonder for a minute where the fairytale Godmother gets her magic from. That pretty dress and beautiful glass slippers that appear at the swish of a wand - they had to come from somewhere right? Now let's imagine that the Godmother draws power from people playing roles in her stories and that she has ...more
Alyssa (Books Take You Places)
I almost didn't review Ash & Bramble because I have been feeling such frustration over the disappointment I had upon finishing. This book had so much promise, excellent writing fitted with a dark and twisty fairy tale retelling seemed like it would be a wonderful experience for me. Unfortunately, the novel didn't just fall flat, but it frustrated me to no end. I will say that this novel was interesting and fast paced, Sarah Prineas writes eloquently and I wanted to love this novel so much for so ...more
Jeff Raymond
Closer to a 1.5, honestly.

Imagine that your favorite fairy tale was actually a dystopian horror show where a magical being was controlling the lives of people and enslaving/killing many in the process. Now take that kind of cool idea, and stretch it out twice as long as it needs to be, and then don't bother revealing what you're trying to do until more than halfway through when you've already probably lost the majority of the audience. I audibly groaned when the reveal actually occurred (and I
Cheryl
Jul 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
This was such a confusing, disappointing book. The idea of the book had great promise...an evil fairy godmother. But by the end of the book, I want sure who's side to be on anymore...the evil godmother or the annoying Pin/Pen.

I'm not really sure why I didn't DNF this book, except I had to see how the author wa going to end this train wreck. But even the ending left me with a lot of questions...like why didn't Pen want her memories back, what happened to misfits that were living in the woods, wh

• Kingdom of Ashes (A Wicked Thing, #2)
  • A Wicked Thing (A Wicked Thing, #1)
  • The Edge of Forever (The Edge of Forever, #1)
  • Sit, Stay, Love
  • Defy (Defy, #1)
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
  • Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief, #1)
  • Dark Tide (Waterfire Saga, #3)
  • Sea Spell (Waterfire Saga, #4)
  • The Gift Of The Atonement: Favorite Writings On The Atonement Of Jesus Christ
  • The Connected Parent: Real-Life Strategies for Building Trust and Attachment
  • Dearest (Woodcutter Sisters #3; Books of Arilland #4)
  • Ever the Brave (A Clash of Kingdoms, #2)
  • Tandem (Many-Worlds, #1)
  • Under the Blood-Red Sun
  • The Darkest Magic (Spirits and Thieves, #2)
  • Crimson Bound
  • Mist, Metal, and Ash (Ink, Iron and Glass, #2)
Coming in April 2021 from Philomel, Trouble in the Stars! It's a middle grade science fiction adventure about a shapeshifter kid.

And Dragonfell is out in paperback in April 2020.

Happy reading!

My website: www.sarah-prineas.com

Ash & Bramble (2 books)
  • Rose & Thorn (Ash & Bramble, #2)