Start by marking “Apples Should Be Red” as Want to Read:
Apples Should Be Red

Apples Should Be Red

Recipe for Thanksgiving Dinner:

Start with sixty-two year old politically incorrect, chain-smoking, hard-cussing curmudgeon.
Add fifty-nine year old sexually-repressed know-it-all in pearls.
Throw in a beer can-turkey, a battle for horticultural supremacy, and nudist next-door neighbor.
Serve on paper plates, garnished with garden gnome.
Tastes like happily ever after.

Penny Wat
Published February 15th 2014 by Penny Watson

To ask other readers questions about Apples Should Be Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apples Should Be Red

♡Karlyn P♡

Please Vote!!! APPLES SHOULD BE RED is nominated for the 2015 #DABWAHA

Voting starts March 22nd at Noon EST / March 22nd 9 AM PST, If you loved it as much as I did, please vote.

4.5 -- 'Age is just an F'N number' -- Romantic Stars

Ooooh, this was such a fun story! An older couple at opposite ends of the social spectrum find a sweet love and a second chance for real happiness. I smiled through the entire damn book, and now I want to cuss like an F'N sailor th
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Pam

I loved that the story is about senior citizens for a change.^^ Both widows-Beverly is 59 turning 60 and Tom is 62. Beverly’s daughter is married to Tom’s son. Due to some serious awkward twist of fate, Beverly ends up being a transient at Tom’s house a few days until thanksgiving. Their children worried they might end up killing each other, turns out they should have been worried for the opposite reason, a reason that needs to be censored in this review. Lol! What I didn’t like was how they ov
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Carol [Goodreads Addict] by: KarLynP
 photo apples_zps6aca542e.jpg

If I had to choose one word to describe Apples Should Be Red by Penny Watson I would use “Delightful!” Don’t let the size of this little novella fool you. In these short 75 pages I completely fell in love with Beverly and Tom.

Beverly is 59 years old and is a widow. Her marriage, though, had been less than stellar, far less! Its Thanksgiving and due to a set of unfortunate circumstances, she is forced to stay at her daughter’s father in law, Tom’s house. She wants this Thanksgiving dinner to be
Mo
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it

"Your dad is a son-of-a-bitch. He has no social skills, hates visitors and is down-right combative when anyone tries to tell him what to do."

They’d asked Tom to host. He figured what the hell, he’d throw a bird on his grill with a beer in its ass and slide a can of cranberry onto a plate. Mrs. Anderson, Karen’s mom, would be horrified. Which made the whole decable even more appealing. She was so buttoned up …..and the ladies would clean the colossal mess he was sure to make in the kitchen

Th
Karla

5 Senior Lovin' Stars!! Priceless Perfection!!! Way to go Penny Watson! I can't stop laughing!!

Two things I learned while reading this book:
62 is the new bad boy, and 59 is not too old to get truly and thoroughly LAID for the first time!!! Or, as Tom would say…BANGED!

Bev and Tom are not your typical romantic storybook couple, instead they are very much real and believable. Tom in many respects is socially unacceptable; he drinks and smokes too much, swears like a sailor, and is a cranky, surly m
Ingie
Written February 26, 2014

4 Stars - funny about apples, a grumpy man and a stiff widow - adorable cute

Apples Should Be Red is a delightful short (m/f) gem and I enjoyed every page. Just the fact that this is a romance with two main characters over fifty makes it so worth reading for a older girl like me.

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription
An "OA romance"? (view spoiler)
Duchess Nicole
ONLY $.99 on Amazon right now! SO WORTH IT!!

"I don't like yellow or green apples. Apples should be red."
"What? That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

Penny Watson is the same author that wrote Lumberjack in Love, which seems like it came out forever ago. But it was worth the wait for her next shining little gem. She packs a lot into her short-ish books and I'm happy to give this five stars.

First off, the hero and heroine are mature adults...Bev is
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish by: ♡Karlyn P♡

5 'never too old to fall in love' stars!

Yep! I loved it! Tom and Bev are great together and my only complaint? It ended. I would love to spend more time with them. Decades would be perfect!

Blurb

Recipe for Thanksgiving Dinner:

Add fifty-nine year old sexually-repressed know-it-all in pearls.
Serve on paper plates,
KatLynne
Penny Watson, what have you done???

photo AnnasShock_zps96e6e332.jpg

Your bravery knows no bounds! You have veered completely away from the norm, the tried and true, and produced one of the most unique Romantic Comedies that I’ve had the pleasure of reading; and all centered around a rare cast of MCs! That alone had me intrigued and I couldn’t wait to begin.

First we meet the polite, prim and proper fifty-nine year old widow, Beverly Anderson. She loves flower gardens, her social clubs, and organization is a must!

photo f2d5a7cd-0299-4db0-a2e8-c01d98791567_zps2e5b5e32.jpg

Next, we’re
Rachel Maniacup
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rachel by: Aj the Ravenous Reader
This is surprisingly wonderful and a fun read! And I never even added this to my tbr list,because my sister AJ said on her review that this book contains a lot of effin' F word which is indeed effin' true! Oh my!

Tom, (the 62 year old male MC) may have been cussing a lot here,and is rude and grumpy and does his best to annoy Beverly (the 59 year old female MC who is prim and proper and always perfectly poised) I surprised my self by finding Tom adorable.

Tom and Beverly by the way,are the parents
Wendy'sThoughts
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Wendy'sThoughts by: Mo
ON SALE for 99 CENTS****PLEASE PLUCK ONE OFF THE TREE AND ENJOY!**********

4 Insightful, Quick and Humorous Stars * * * *

Ok, First... Thanks Mo for directing me to this sweet little novella by Penny Watson.

Many of you who know me are aware I believe in truth in advertising... so when we became friends, I might have shared the picture you see for me is ME...at 23years... which was many, many, many years ago. The outer package may be older... but that gal you see... she is still in there; she, plu
Exina
Apples Should Be Red is a perfectly written story. Penny Watson is my new favorite author!

To say that Tom Jenkins and Beverly Anderson don’t like each other is a strong understatement.

But when they are forced to stay together for a couple of days, things soon turn upside down.

I loved to follow the unfolding of their personalities, and as they begin to see something special in each other.

They add many new colors to each other’s palette (and not only in point of apples): fun, laughter, feeling
Kristen
4-Made Me Grin-Stars!

Penny Watson thank you for giving me something refreshing, unique, romantic, and fun to read.

Full review to come.
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to ❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ by: Karla
5 Sexy Mature Fun Loving Stars!!!

Penny Watson is hilarious, I loved Lumberjack In Love and this one is just as fantastic!!

This goes to show that age is just a number. Tom is 62 and Beverly is 59 years young and not really friends although they are related by marriage and both widowed. That is where their similarities end. Tom is gruff, bold, crass, and doesn't give a rat's ass what anyone thinks of him. Bev is a people pleaser, proper, and somewhat rigid.

Due to circumstances Bev & Tom are
♥Sharon♥
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Another little gem. Thank you Mo for suggesting this one to me. I loved it. ❤

It was funny.
It was sweet.
It was endearing.
And most of all it made me laugh.

Tom and Bev will be floating around in my thoughts for a bit of time I am sure. Be it the moments they shared in the garden which were hilarious or the moments on the stoop which warmed my heart or even the moments on the living room couch that made me blush. These two were fantastic together. LOVED LOVED LOVED THEM.

Please do yourself a favo
Pam
5 feel good stars
“Everyone has a colorful neighborhood, Bev. You just gotta look for the colors.”

Tom and Bev are two completely different people, they are settled in their ways with their like and dislikes and that includes how they feel about each other.

Tom
“Your dad is a son-of-a-bitch. He has no social skills, hates visitors, and is down-right combative when anyone tries to tell him what to do.”

Bev
“My mom is polite to a fault, wants to please everyone, and gives advice like Dea
Laura (Kyahgirl)
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5; 5 stars; A

Thank god for main characters who are out of diapers! Its seems very hard these days to meet characters in a love story who are older than their late teens or early twenties. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting two people who have already done a lot of living and bear the scars to prove it.

This was a short story but don't let that stop you from delving into it. The author did a great job of squeezing a complete story into 86 pages. It was really good.
Tamara
“I guess I’m a late bloomer.”
“I sure like you blooming with me, Bev.”

So basically...

PUHAHAHHA.

Ahem. Ok. I really dont know how to review this one. It was the first story I've ever read about the old, I mean senior citizens.

It was good?

Kinda.

Tom Jenkins’ son is married to Beverly Anderson’s daughter and their children is the only thing they have common. These two are so different, they cant stand to each other. One hates everyone, drinks, smokes and swears too much, while the other is just..
Renégade ♥
4 1/2 stars

I'd heard such good things about this novella that I was really looking forward to reading it. This sweet, funny and sexy story is about an older couple who have both lost their spouses and appear, at first, to have nothing in common besides the fact that their kids are married to each other.

Bev and Tom are definitely opposites at the beginning of this tale and their battles (as well as the humor, sexual tension, flirtation & chemistry) were a ton of fun. It was great watching th
Lady Heather
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely Amazing!

Loved the characters and the story!
Tom & Bev were brilliant together!

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I wish more stories featured mature couples and the situations pertaining to them!
Sam (AMNReader)
I thought this was a fun, short, sweet, sexy read. I could not get on board with Tom's voice and POV in the beginning, but it settled by the end. He was gruff - and sometimes it was just plain crude-and really pulled me out of the story. However, he was a great hero overall, and someone that came across as genuine in the end. I did struggle with his voice in other way-that it didn't feel authentic. But 2/3 through that irritation vanished. And he was forward and sweet and had some seriously swoo ...more
Ian
With Thanksgiving fast approaching, the unstoppable force (Beverly) is hurtling towards the immovable object (Tom). Tom is rough and gruff, Beverly is prim and proper and they have found themselves sharing a house for the week leading up to the holiday. As they spend time together, their antipathy to each other gives way to attraction and Tom gradually begins to rebuild Beverly's confidence which was left shattered by her cheating husband, while Beverly draws Tom who is a curmudgeonly hermit out ...more
Jill
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jill by: Karla

Kate's Corner
Best book ever. Need I say more? I loved the old coot.

"I'm keeping her," Tom finally said with exasparation. John choked on his beer. "You're keeping her?" "That's what I said." "Does she know that you're keeping her?" "Nope. Not yet. Keep it under your hat." "No Problem. Good luck.""I don't need luck. I got daisies."
maggieandteddy
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novella
5 stars? As Tom would say, "Hell yeah!"
Excuse, me, but I didn't notice any old people in this book... ^_~
Very well written. No wasted scenes- This is HOW TO WRITE A NOVELLA. I'm very sorry that I took so long to read this. Starting over can begin at any age.
Maggie Welsh
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'll write more later but I finished last night and I just need to say that I love these characters! I love that Penny wrote about older people. It's not just twenty- and thirty-somethings who need and find romance.
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
4.5 DeLiCiOuS StArS

Oh My GiDdY aUnT.....

Didn't I let out some raucous laughter at this little gem!!

What a refreshing fun read, thanks to Ingela's review which I adored..... I had to read this.

So you have Tom Jenkins sixty-two year old politically incorrect, chain-smoking, hard-cussing, cantankerous, flirty, dirty ol dog.

Tom Jenkins you silver fox - YOU....rrrahh!!

Mix together with our fifty ++ *cough* so not good to give away a ladies age Beverly Anderson prime and proper, sexually-represse
Gaufre
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, owned
Delightful short read. It gets points for featuring an older couple. Tom is a grumpy man who keeps to himself and Bev is a high-strung domestic goddess. They get on each other's nerves and help each other too.

It is only three stars because the timeline is too short to be really believable. And I also can't believe that Tom, who has an amazing vegetable garden, would not recognize a rosemary plant.
Gina
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gina by: Ingie
YAY!! YAY!!! YAY!!!! 5 JUST WHAT I NEEDED STARS!!

This is a short little story of two older people finding love and laughter when they thought it would never happen to them. One cranky old curmudgeon and a straight laced, repressed woman come together to put together a thanksgiving dinner for their family and find love. This was funny, cute, sexy and completely heartwarming, I loved it!!

Feeling good, Thanks Ingela dear!
Lisazj1
This was perfect! Hilarious, sweet and sexy with just a little tugging on the heartstrings.

You don't read many romances where the MCs are older adults with grown children. I absolutely loved the way this author spun Tom and Bev around with one another, neither of them being *at least, not completely* what the other thought. Really enjoyed reading!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Romance Book Budd...: Apples should be red 21 9 Nov 24, 2018 02:00AM

• Upon a Winter's Night (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3.5)
  • Breath on Embers
  • The Story Guy
  • The Devil's Match (The Devil DeVere #4)
  • A Kiss for Christmas
  • The Nekkid Truth
  • Thank You for Riding (Strangers on a Train)
  • Intrusion (Under the Skin, #1)
  • The Lady Always Wins
  • The Bridge
  • In the Clear (Winter Rescue #1)
  • Boo! (Beauty And The Bookworm, #2)
  • Steal My Heart (Washington Memorial Hospital, #2)
  • Three Nights before Christmas (Wild Montana Nights, #3)
  • Island Fever
  • The Girl with the Cat Tattoo (Cool Cats, #1)
  • His Road Home
PENNY WATSON is a dachshund-lover, botanist, and award-winning author of quirky fiction. Titles include THE KLAUS BROTHERS SERIES, LUMBERJACK IN LOVE, APPLES SHOULD BE RED (finalist for the CoRWA Award of Excellence), and A TASTE OF HEAVEN (winner of 2016 National Excellence in Romance Fiction Award).

She lives with her Filipino-American family outside of Boston.

See updates at www.pennyromance.com.
“I don’t want to see Bev get hurt. Not after all those years of shoveling Roger’s shit, and um…this is awkward. I’m just wondering—”

“I’m keeping her,” Tom finally said with exasperation.

John choked on his beer. “You’re keeping her?”

“That’s what I said.”

“Does she know you’re keeping her?”

“Nope. Not yet. Keep it under your hat.”

“No problem. Good luck.”

“I don’t need any goddamned luck. I got daisies.”
2 likes
“I guess I’m a late bloomer.”

“I sure like you blooming with me, Bev.”
1 likes