Start by marking “Captives” as Want to Read:
Captives

Captives

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Captives opens with a husband pointing his gun at his wife. There’s a woman who hears ‘the hiss of Beelzebub behind people’s voices’, a photographer who captures the desire to suicide, a man locked in a toilet who may never get out, a couple who grow young, and a prisoner who learns to swallow like a python.

There’s a touch of Annie Proulx in these stories, the way a lonely
Published May 19th 2014 by Inkerman & Blunt (first published April 30th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Captives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captives

Gerard Elson
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully produced (and aptly petite) collection of microfictions running a deeply weird gamut—from haunting, oneiric and elegant story-wisps, to a quasi-academic consideration of Anthony Perkins' ass. In both format and content, Meyer's fiction debut might best be described as a prayerbook, of sorts, for the paranoid, the hopeful, the hypervigilant, the trapped.
Linda
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a small but perfectly formed gem of a book. Angela Myer is well known as a serious literary blogger, but with these tiny, mysterious, often haunting short short stories she shows herself to be a talented writer of fiction as well. Can't wait to see what she does next. And it's a beautiful object, too, nicely printed and illustrated.
Michelle
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Captives is slightly larger in size than Paul Wilson’s ‘miniature’, The Little Book of Calm – however, if you’re looking for anything calm in these 112 pages, you’re going to be sorely disappointed. The Little Book of Unheimlich would have made a fitting subtitle for Meyer’s collection of 37 captivating microfictions – short works of anything between a single paragraph and a few pages, each bound together by a shared sense of deep disquietude."

Here's a little bit from my review of Captives. You
Blair
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Absorbing little micro fictions, some with end-noted historical origins, showing good diversity of style and subject matter.
Lisa
I've tagged this collection short stories but they're not really, they're flash fiction, a couple of stories only one paragraph long. This is a very demanding form, because everything has to be pruned back so that all that's left is a sudden impact. There is not much room for plot, setting or character, and dialogue is risky. This makes it essential to leave gaps in the reading because otherwise the stories lose that capacity to surprise. It also makes it very difficult for the author to create ...more
Lauren Mccusker
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book contains multiple very-short-stories, known as microfiction or flash fiction. This was my first real foray into flash fiction, although I've read extremely short stories in other collections before.
Overall, these stories were dark, creepy, but with a twisted humour...an excellent mix. Some were fantastic all on their own. Some I didn't quite comprehend. Some I thought would be great fleshed out a bit more, made into a longer story. The language used is wonderful and made for a fluid, e
Edacheeky (Eda D)
Nov 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, horror
★★★☆☆ 3/5
Firstly, I would like to thank Angela Meyer and her publisher Inkerman & Blunt for sending me this book.

Captives is a short collection of dark stories of fiction. I enjoyed reading it more than I expected.
I adore the way Meyer writes - it captivates you (see what I did there) - and the stories were highly imaginative and interesting.

It's just that I didn't understand some of the stories. Some endings were a bit confusing no matter how many times I reread them. Certain stories felt
Michael Daaboul
Nov 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Captives microfictions was odd. I wanted to like this book due to its form factor and how well presented it is, but through some interesting prose, it crumbled.

Hard to understand, confusing, lacking any real emotion (not the subject of the stories, but the way it is written), I have no idea how this could even remotely be compared to Kafka, at all!

You will find yourself rereading and going back to see if you missed something, trying to find some connection to these stories. Instead it tries too
Ann Graham
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is my first experience reading micro fiction (or flash fiction as it is otherwise known). It requires a different kind of reading because the stories are so short. You need to flesh it out with your own imagination, which can be great or frustrating, or a little of both. With some of the stories I was amazed at what the author could achieve with so few words. Others didn't really make sense to me, but perhaps they might after more than one reading. Overall, it was worth the read, and I thin ...more
Jess
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I cannot pretend that I understood every single one of these stories, but I was fascinated nevertheless. I love this form of storytelling for the reason that it demands that the reader bring so much to the telling, and I experienced that many times while reading this. Plus, it's so delightfully small that it's a pleasure to hold and so short that I will read it several times. Maybe then I'll understand them all.
Ashley Hay
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't know very much about flash fiction until I found Angela Meyer – these microcosmic tales are like a beautiful hybrid of poetry and purpose, the kinds of words that you can read in a gulp but that you need to sit with for some time beyond their final full stop, feeling the full weight and potential of the enormities that they actually hold. It's very first piece, "The Day Before the Wedding", is a masterpiece.
Georgia
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very short book, filled with very short stories.
I was talking to a bookstore owner and told him im especially impressed by short fiction and how every word counts. He gave me this. And wow.
I particularly enjoyed the very last story. It is very poignant and memorable.
B.T. Hogan
Mar 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Pretentious garbage. Nonsensical prose, I think the author figured that ignorant readers would attach meaning to these stories where there is nothing of the sort. Looks like some have taken the bait.

Harvard
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
With Captives, Angela Meyer goes all Kafka on our asses. The stories designed to shock or confuse get old fast, but there are a few great examples where 500 words are enough for Meyer to describe a character's entire lifetime.
Sean Williams
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
A collection of flash fiction that's in places quite brilliant, if a little uneven and definitely too short - but I suppose that suits the form. :-)
Guy Salvidge
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brief, beguiling, enigmatic.
Wendy Bridges
Mar 05, 2015
Mel
rated it did not like it
Dec 31, 2017
Jun 22, 2014
ALPHAreader
Jun 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: books that are not mine on author page 2 11 Dec 29, 2017 07:45PM
Angela Meyer is a writer & professional reader (commissioning editor, interviewer, festival chair, former reviewer), based in Melbourne.

Her debut novel, A Superior Spectre, will be published by Peter Bishop Books (Ventura) in August 2018. Previously, she authored a book of flash fiction, Captives (Inkerman & Blunt).

Her work has been published widely, including in Best Australian Stories, t