Start by marking “Classics of Indian Spirituality” as Want to Read:
Classics of Indian Spirituality

Classics of Indian Spirituality

These classic teachings comprise the most important and universal texts from the Indian wisdom tradition. They pose the fundamental questions of life pondered throughout the ages: Who am I? What happens when I die? What is the purpose of my life? Each text offers compelling answers, reflecting the style and personality of their Vedic and Buddhist authors. Eknath Easwaran's ...more
Published September 28th 2007 by Nilgiri Press (first published January 25th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Classics of Indian Spirituality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classics of Indian Spirituality

Start your review of Classics of Indian Spirituality
Nicole Smith
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These novels are such a great introduction to these classic Indian texts. They are not able to stand alone (they do not have all of the texts as they are quite long) but they are a wonderful sampler of these ancient and rich texts that seem to apply more and more to our current lives.
Brian Wilcox
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent !
Cole Feldman
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read The Dhammapada as an introduction to Buddhism. It is a much more poetic and metaphorical writing than Western philosophy and religious texts. My biggest takeaway was the Four Noble Truths: of suffering, of the origin of suffering, of the cessation of suffering, and the way leading to the cessation of suffering (which is the Noble Eightfold Path). Buddha put great emphasis on meditation, especially to "rise out of" selfishness and duality (pleasure and pain, for example)—this, however, see ...more
Lon
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If, heaven forbid, everything Jesus said were lost to history, and we had only his Sermon on the Mount as our guide and blueprint for building a moral and virtuous life, we would still have a supernal treasure.

The Dhammapada is like that for those, like me, who also admire the Buddha's teachings. It's a verse collection of some of his most profound insights into living a life fully awake. Really enjoyed. Powerful insights.

This collection had a helpful introduction to each chapter.

"There is no fi
Cyrus
I read this book ,every morning (almost) when I wake-up..and have been doing so everysince 4 years ago when I got in a car accident, got hit in the head and came to believe in God; I still find it funny at the very least that nobody can prove there is no God; but at the same time , nobody can prove that being hit in the head; and having a severe concussion is not the only reason why people like me have seen what they saw.
thanks
Rahul Banerjee
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Upanishads:

An excellent introduction to the metaphysical and ethical ideas contained in these philosophical texts. Selected verses from all the 10 'Mukhya' Upanishads are included in this book and are aided by simple and lucid explanations of several ideas (as 'Notes') and a brief introduction before each Upanishad. Commentaries are based on the interpretations of Max Mueller/ Deussen/ Shankaracharya.

To anyone interested in studying the 'nature' of the religion now known as Hinduism, I will
Meghal Bhatt
May 08, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Read the Bhagavad Gita, Book -1. I won't be reading Upanishad and Dhammapada by Eswaran though. Writing is bland and repetitive. I am sure there are better texts of Bhagavad Gita out there. This was written for someone at the pre-school level. Self detachment from the fruits of labour, giving generously without expectation in return, self-will and self-control as a duty, and following the 'Dharma' - which is to "to do good" and "it is what is" with no strings attached. Great work on distilling t ...more
Maureen
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the Upanishads best of the three, then the Dhammapad and then The Bhagavad Gita. If I hadn't found The New Message from God, this would have been my path.
John
I finished reading Bhagavad Gita on 3 May 2008. Delicious. I like the commentary that goes with each chapter.

Now I'm done with the Upanishads (1 March 2009). They have a strong wisdom-of-the-ancients flavor. It's that pithy kind that calls for rumination and seems like it could be a deep truth that I haven't yet understood or something that sounds cool but is actually hollow. At times I can't tell which. But like the companion books in this set, this book has nice commentary to go with the trans
Pete
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the Bhagavad Gita, not the whole set. Excellent, interesting, and surprising. I have no way to judge the translation, but it read well and the chapter introductions were generally helpful. I came in with a limited understanding of Hindu mythology and ideas, and finished this short book with a much better grasp of the field. Certainly it was more uplifting than your average religious text.
Paul
The best translation and edition of these three texts that I've found in English (Vintage Spiritual Classics and various other versions are often reprints of this edition), plus Easwaran's editorial material is just absurdly good. [And yes, he's a bit of a syncretist / perennial philosophy guy, but I don't think the quality suffers.]
Ardhanarishvara
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
such a beautiful translation (his Bhagavad Gita translation also one of my favorites. alongside Ghandi's) and so much excellent insight in the introduction, which states that we need nothing more than the Dhammapada to follow the way of the Buddha.
Chantal
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best translation if not the best!Extraordinary understanding of the disciple's path, the master, the living experience of the devotee and his/her realization..

Something to read again and again as a sweet remembrance. Not a substitute for the experience.
Megan
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
eknath's translation of the bhagavad gita in his "classics of indian spirituality" is so beautiful and true. i want to read it again and again.
Elizabeth
a great compilation. nice to read again and again
Angela Joyce
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is quite beautiful, I liked it. I also see what inspired a lot of George Harrison's songs!
Steven
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eknath Easwaran = The Shit.

Michaela
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Less poetry and meaning than expected for a beginner.
Jenn
Aug 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an unexpected wonderful great read.

I read the intro in the beginning and to all chapters up to 8. After that chapter I read only the Gita and really enjoyed the interpretation of my own.
Alexandra Chauran
This translation brought the text alive for me!
Benjamin Barnes
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The nest spiritual literature ive ever read.
Bridget
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read the Bhagavad Gita. Its a timeless work of great importance for all.
James

• The Upanishads
  • The Dhammapada
  • The Bhagavad Gita
  • Mastery
  • The Anarchy: The East India Company, Corporate Violence, and the Pillage of an Empire
  • Amritsar 1919: An Empire of Fear and the Making of a Massacre
  • Spring and All
  • On Writing
  • The Short Stories of Anton Chekhov
  • Deliverance
  • Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot That Grips Readers from Start to Finish
  • Burmese Days
Eknath Easwaran (1910–1999) is the originator of passage meditation and the author of more than 30 books on spiritual living.

Easwaran is a recognized authority on the Indian spiritual classics. His translations of The Bhagavad Gita, The Upanishads, and The Dhammapada are the best-selling editions in the USA, and over 1.5 million copies of his books are in print.

Easwaran was a professor of English

News & Interviews