Start by marking “Hostile Ground” as Want to Read:
Hostile Ground

Hostile Ground

After the deaths of three undercover cops investigating a drug ring in a seedy strip club in Seattle, Detective Mahir Hussain has been sent to finish the job. He joins the club’s security team in the hopes of finding enough evidence to bust the operation before the men in charge find a reason to put him in a shallow grave.

To protect the strippers, only gay men can work the
ebook, 1 edition, 362 pages
Published May 12th 2014 by Riptide Publishing (first published May 11th 2014)

Start your review of Hostile Ground
Baba
Jan 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
**Review removed due to personal reasons. Rating downgraded to one star.**

Important: The issue is not about A. Voinov**

March 11, 2018
Ingie
Written May 13, 2014

4.4 Stars - Nervy, steamy and delightfully tantalizing with exciting plot

I was so happy the day I got this ARC novel. Hostile Ground is a new cop/crime romance by Aleksandr Voinov and L.A. Witt, with release day: May 12, 2014.

I haven't read that much of any of these two authors, but the books I have read have been really good. This romantic thriller genre with gay guys tend to usually work well for me. I really wanted to read more by these authors. ~ Am I still happy? Yap, t
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Both the audio and story were just okay for me. I'm willing to suspend belief, but the trade off has to be a swoon-worthy couple. Unfortunately, I felt no chemistry between the MCs, so I didn't even get that. ...more
Gigi
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: M/M romance fans who love thrillers

I absolutely LOVED this book! It was on-the-edge-of-your-seat fun with incredible romance and plenty of hot sex to keep even the pickiest M/M romance enthusiast happy.

Because of all the startling and fabulous plot twists and potential spoilers, I'm going to keep this review as my reaction only. Read the blurb and get reading! Highly, highly recommended for the romance and/or the suspense. Read it for one and get the other as a bonus.
L.A. Witt
Jan 30, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Erotic suspense written with Aleksandr Voinov. Lots of violence and mind games. 'cause that's how we roll. ...more
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Reviewed for Prism Book Alliance

There’s a Fight Club reference. I really shouldn’t have to sell it further than this but I will.

I loved this! I’ve made no secret about my affinity for Voinov. Now I’m starting to see the special magic he and his sidekick Witt can create. No, I haven’t read the Market Garden series yet. Stop judging me.

Hostile Ground reminded me a awful lot of The Departed and I freakin’ LOVE THAT MOVIE! We’ve got the son of a bitch gangster/sociopath in Lombardi. Seriously, t
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
If this book has told me anything it is that romantic suspense is sooooo not my genre.

The writing combination of L.A. Witt and Aleksandr Voinov is sort of an auto-read for me. I've been known to go gaga for this duo (Quid Pro Quo, anyone??) so I HAD to see what these two would do with a thriller.

The first 25% of the book? LOVE! I loved the hot sex, the power plays, the dirty talking... I adore rough and forceful sex scenes so I was like, "Yeeah baby!" (<--- picture Austin Powers voice) with th
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Too much sex*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

When there's too much sex, it overloads the story. Which is exactly what happened here. Detective Mahir ‘Saeed Hayaz’ Hussai (in his thirties) and the cold and intimidating head of security for a seedy strip club in Seattle (Gene Lombardi; his boss and owner), David Ridley (?) can't fight the attraction they have for one another, but not fighting it means dangerous. In other words; they might have to dig their own graves if they get caught. There's also being under
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
3.5 Stars!

I enjoyed this one.....I think I've decided though, that romantic suspense...whether MM or MF.....is just not my genre of choice! There's only a few authors that I really really enjoy.

But with that being said, when I picked is one I was wanting something a bit different. An MM read with some steam but that also wasn't necessarily GFY or OFY, even though those are my favorites. And this one fit the bill.

I did find several of the plot twists a bit predictable but I liked both MCs. The re
Lelyana's Reviews
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every MM readers

~ ARC provided by Riptide via Netgalley ~

***5 definitely-adored-this couples-stars!***

My casting

Mahir Hussain

Ridley

Aleksandr Voinov and L.A. Witt are a perfect example for a perfect duet.
I adore their writing so much.
Perfect writing skills, perfect stories, I couldn't ask for more.

This is definitely a different, very different point of view in LGBT story.
Mahir is a gay, and he's a Muslim. I'm a Muslim my self, and being gay in Islam, is definitely wrong, especially when you're gay.
Happen in m
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
OK here's the Short. Quick. and Dirty Low Down on Hostile Ground!!

It was *A*R*R*E*S*T*I*N*G*!!

Meet Detective Mahir Hussain - our Gay, Muslim , Undercover Cop

Add into the mix.....David Ridley- who ouzzed menacing intensity - Head of Security for King Drug Lord Lombardi - Not to be fucking messed with!!

Kinza - Mahir's Nephew - is a sweet adorable character, struggling with his own issues.

*C*A*P*O*W* - what more could you ask for - a HOT, super charged suspense.

Undercover Drug Ring Operation - Ye
Kazza
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-ordered, arc, mystery
4.5 Stars

'Dirty Except,' and Rafflecopter giveaway from May 12th at On Top Down Under http://ontopdownunderbookreviews.com/...

Mahir lifted himself up onto his elbow and resisted the urge to playfully or affectionately run his fingers down the center of Ridley's smooth, almost hairless chest. It hadn't been five minutes since this man was balls deep inside him and whispering filthy things in his ear, and now he seemed too dangerous to touch.

This was a good read. A very, very, VERY hot read. It k
Kelly| Just Another Horror Reader
DNF at 35%

Since I really like these two writers separately I was very excited to read something they wrote together. Unfortunately it turned out to be a big disappointment for me. I felt no connection to the MC's and it was very slow paced.

With all the 4 and 5 star reviews I've seen I'm definitely in the minority here. It's one of those books that just wasn't for me.
Kaje Harper
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, m-m
This story of undercover cops is very hot, full of intense sex and desperate moments. I liked the fact that the POV MC, Mahir, was Muslim and gay, and dealt with being an outsider from multiple directions. I enjoyed the fact that he was dealing with the sudden appearance of his real life gay nephew, who needed a place to stay. Trying to balance out his responsibilities added stress and complexity to the story. Kinza was well written as a troubled teen with a chip on his shoulder.

I had problems w
Christelle
**3.5 stars**

Very biased rating, LOL. LA Witt and Aleksandr Voinov are among my favorite authors, so the niggles I had could have been a bit of a deterrent for me in other books, but I didn’t mind here.

Mahir goes to work as a bouncer in a night club as an undercover cop to get enough evidence against the owner of the club and meets the head of security, Ridley. It’s the first time he goes undercover and it’s not easy for him, especially as he also has to deal with family issue with his nephew p
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
”David Ridley”said...“You can take it up with Allah later"

Ooh my GOD!.....with his piercing blue eye's~and...Mahir~Saeed

Did NOT want to take it up with Allah anytime soon!

So, yep...he did the deed...and

Phew! This book just took off from there.

This was a GOOD READ!

Both MC are beautifully written~

And, wow, I do love these two!

Ridley, however; is my fav! I love his persona, and I live for his type in my books, and wow, he was PERFECT!

But, more things I found to love about this book is , man oOh
Line
Nov 05, 2018 marked it as probably-not-but-freebie  ·  review of another edition
Freebie at amazon.com right now: https://smile.amazon.com/Hostile-Grou... ...more
Vishous
Feb 12, 2014 marked it as currently-paused
Shelves: netgalley, arc
*ARC via Netgalley*

omg omg i am so happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have been checking this title and one more on riptide pub., and i can't believe i can read an arc ♡ and there is preorder available for new sidewinder, and soon my ball & chain will arrive.... and this is just happy day for me .... and i am starting this tomorrow for sure ♡
Chris
This was a tense read at times - suspense really can play havoc ! I liked this book, but it didn’t quite grab me as I expected - a good read if you enjoy undercover angst.
Rosa
Too much teenage drama, too much sex and too little professionalism. I've been mad since 27% but as Teal told me, that was only the beginning. The worst was to come. This isn't a bad book, but it wasn't what I was looking for, not what the blurb promised.
My biggest problem was I couldn't believe an undercover cop would behave like that, even less that two undercover cops would do all that. And that, well, I can overlook if I have enough story running on the book, but it wasn't the case.
This bo
Vivian
Jan 29, 2014 rated it liked it
AAAaaarrrgh!

This book. This... no. Okay, this book gets two ratings because I say so.

Scorch Factor: 5 stars

Believability Factor: 1 star

Mahir and Ridley are ridiculously hot together. Like yum-yum, sweet baby jesus--YES! Every moment of the two of them together is simply delicious, finger-licking or any other body part good. On the other hand, Mahir as an undercover operative and the whole subplot including Kinza--FAIL. I guarantee you he'd have a close gunshot wound to the back of the head. Ther
*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist
***Arc provided via Netgalley in exchange for honest review***

This review is posted on WAY TOO HOT BOOKS.

I saw this book on Netgalley and what can I say- the resistance was futile. I just had to have it and then I did and everything else was of less importance and I'm not even sorry after reading it.

Whoever is familiar with the work of L.A. Witt & A. Voinov knows what to expect when these two authors write a book together. Two strong, bad-ass and way too hot dirty-talkers. Lots of action, mi
Jenna
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was ok

I enjoyed the first half of this book, but it went downhill when everyone began making extremely stupid decisions. I'm no undercover cop, but it didn't seem believable to me that Mahir (view spoiler)
Macky
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Undercover cops, bad ass boss', psycho drug lords, hot, hot hot, down and dirty sex and edge of your seat situations! If that's what you're looking for in your next read then you won't go wrong picking up Hostile Ground.

When American born, Syrian, ex US military, Detective Mahir Hussain is sent undercover inside psycho drug dealer Gene Lombardi's strip club, to investigate the deaths of three other undercover cops before him and to get more on the drug ring that the club is a cover for, he certa
Ana_P
★★★★ 4 Smoldering-and-Action-Packed Stars★★★★

This was an amazing collaboration between Voinov and Witt that I thoroughly enjoyed. The writing was definitely phenomenal, as can be expected from these two awesome M/M veteran authors. Everything that the authors wanted the readers to feel, I certainly felt. I felt my blood pound and adrenaline rush during the intense action-filled scenes. Whatever Mahir felt during those scenes, I did too.
I Have Heart Palpitations

And, whoa boy, don't even let me get started on the smex. It
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, bgirls, mm

4.5 star review by The Blogger Girls.

I love a good undercover story, one where the agent goes deep, for an undetermined amount of time, to the point that the lines where their two lives blur and they run the risk of truly becoming the person they are portraying, not unlike one of my favorite movies, Donnie Brasco.

Here, Mahir, being a single gay man (though not out to his colleagues) seems perfect for going undercover to bust the head of the illegal operations taking place in the club which only
Skirmish
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Book Reaction: https://neverhollowed.com/2019/07/01/...
Rating: 3.5 Stars – that place between like and love
Elizabetta

There are some things that work for me in this book, and some that don’t.

The first thing that hits me, that I really like, is the duality. Mahir, our deep undercover cop investigating a strip club for drug running, is of Arabic descent and a Muslim. So, he stands out, already carries the weight of that, living in the U.S. post 9/11.

For me, Mahir is the most interesting thing in the story.

He, of course, has to assume an alias, a persona he is constantly at odds with. To prove himself to
Otila
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mahir is an undercover detective trying to bring down a drug ring. Sparks fly from the moment he meets Ridley, the head of security at the club he's infiltrating. He's in over his head when his real life collides with his undercover life.

I really liked this story. It was gritty and fast paced even if it was predictable. I loved Mahir and Ridley and their chemistry was smoking hot. Voinov and Witt really know how to write a sex scene. I'd love a sequel!
Tina
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hostile Ground is another successful collaboration between Aleksandr Voinov and L.A. Witt. This time it is set in a female strip club. The police are investigating a drug ring concealed behind the strip club front, but the undercover officers they send in keep getting found out and killed. They know there is more going on than meets the eye because they’ve gotten a look at the books and there is way too much money coming in to be income from just a strip club. Or even from a drug smuggling ring. ...more
The Challenge Fac...: Ezinwanyi, Amber & Sonia - Hostile Ground 26 32 May 26, 2014 03:57AM

• Fish Out of Water (Fish Out of Water, #1)
  • Double or Nothing (Double Trouble #1)
  • The Murder Between Us
  • Risk Assessment (Cabrini Law #1)
  • Hitman vs Hitman
  • Murder Aforethought (Cabrini Law #2)
  • Other Than Honorable (Cabrini Law #3)
  • Hush
  • Single Malt (Agents Irish and Whiskey, #1)
  • Reckless Conduct (Cabrini Law #4)
  • Conspiracy Theory (Veiled Intentions #1)
  • Twisted and Tied (Marshals, #4)
  • Nothing Special (Nothing Special, #1)
  • Long Shadow (Veiled Intentions #2)
  • A Few Good Fish (Fish Out of Water, #3)
  • The Two Gentlemen of Altona (Playing the Fool, #1)
  • (Watch Me) Break You (Run This Town, #1)
  • Wrong Way Home - Criminal Delights: Taken
L.A. Witt and her husband have been exiled from Spain and sent to live in Maine because rhymes are fun. She now divides her time between writing, assuring people she is aware that Maine is cold, wondering where to put her next tattoo, and trying to reason with a surly Maine coon. Rumor has it her arch nemesis, Lauren Gallagher, is also somewhere in the wilds of New England, which is why L.A. is al ...more

News & Interviews