Start by marking “Inamorata” as Want to Read:
Inamorata

Inamorata

American artist Joseph Hannigan and his alluring sister, Sophie, have arrived in enchanting nineteenth-century Venice with a single-minded goal. The twins, who have fled scandal in New York, are determined to break into Venice’s expatriate set and find a wealthy patron to support Joseph’s work.

But the enigmatic Hannigans are not the only ones with a secret agenda. Joseph’s
Published August 1st 2014 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Inamorata, please sign up.
Megan I finished this book and it's a succubus story (if you had to make me choose, more vampire than ghost). A quickly moving story with interesting relati…moreI finished this book and it's a succubus story (if you had to make me choose, more vampire than ghost). A quickly moving story with interesting relationships!(less)

Start your review of Inamorata
Carrie Gulledge
Jul 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Before I begin my review, I just want to put out there a warning for any potential readers; a warning I wish I had had myself when I realized what was going on in this book. There is a very VC Andrews'esque Flowers in the Attic relationship that exists between the two main characters, brother and sister twins Sophie and Joseph. I do find it fairly annoying that this wasn't hinted at in the description of the book; while I understand that no experience is off-limits when it comes to writing, this ...more
Zoeytron
Through writing both vivid and beautiful, the ancient city of Venice is brought to life. I could almost feel the water of the canals lapping at my toes. Stars are likened to glitterdust scattered across the dark skies. See the cats with their twitching, taunting tails.

Twins Joseph and Sophie Hannigan have always known they are destined for something special. Each one enhances the other with his/her 'twinning charisma'. Joseph is a painter, Sophie is a storyteller.

The year is 1879 and artisticall
Melinda
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breathtakingly Beautiful...

Warning: I absolutely adored this book, so unabashed gushing follows. For recommendation, skip to the end.

Chance writes incandescent prose that engages all five of my senses. I could see, feel, touch, taste and hear everything that the characters did in 19th century Venice. The book is so lush, beautiful, intricate, colorful and mysterious that I read at a snail's pace to prolong the experience. That has happened about ten times in my life after reading thousands of bo
Marty Essen
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Feel the ambiance!

Although Inamorata has gotten mostly good reviews, I couldn’t help but peek at some of the bad ones. Some people said the book was boring or the writing was poor; others were too uptight to deal with the subject matter; and still others thought it was too long.

Here’s the thing: They are all wrong!

First, this is a well-written book. I’m a professional writer—I know. Megan Chance is a talented author, and she put a lot of work into Inamorata.

Second, ambiance is big part of this b
Kelly
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fatal muse. She inspires artists to create sublime masterpieces, but drains away their life force in exchange, driving them to madness or an early grave. This archetype lies at the heart of Inamorata, a new paranormal tale by Megan Chance, who has previously written a number of historical fiction and romance novels.

Inamorata is set in a gorgeously rendered nineteenth-century Venice, a city long past its heyday, now crumbling picturesquely into ruin. The captivating Odilé Leon has taken up re
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
I'll admit that I keep meaning to be super snobbish about Amazon's Lake Union imprint, but then I forget -- and good thing, because I keep enjoying the reads I've come across ( I Am Livia and now this one).

Set over a month in Venice in 1879, the novel follows four individuals: Odilé Leon, an immortal courtesan who feeds on genius to survive, gifting the artist in question with immortal fame; Nicholas Dane, a failed poet who never made a bargain with Odilé and is determined to destroy her; Jos
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I have somewhat a bit of a huge twin fetish, so WANT.
Kristin

A-Z and PopSugar Challenge with Karly and Jess

A book with a one-word title - Inamorata - Chance, Megan
C = Chance, Megan

What are you willing to sacrifice for fame?

For nearly three-hundred years Odile Leon has been the muse for countless painters, poets, and musicians, inspiring their greatest works and cementing their names throughout history. Canaletto, Byron, Keats, Schumann…they would have faded into history if not for her. But notoriety comes at a cost. “A price must be paid for gre
Gerri Leen
Jul 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
I got fifty percent of the way through this book before I couldn't take it anymore, and my ability to stick with it that long is due primarily to the premise that involves a type of succubus/muse (a succumuse?) for the villainess. I hadn't seen this used before and the idea of someone who can both inspire and then suck out the talent (fatally) was an appealing idea for its lack of ubiquity in paranormal stuff. The problem with this book is simple. Ninety-five percent of it is "tell" and not "sho ...more
Karin Foster
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I got this free with my Kindle Prime account; otherwise, I don't think I would have selected this. It was described as historical fiction, but I would have to say that defining it as fantasy/romance would have been a better choice.

The author did a great job describing the setting and the mythical background of Odile, the temptress of this story. The changing narrative between chapters also helped make the story more interesting, but the plot line still moved slow.

If I had been on some exotic b
snowplum
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Inamorata is a haunting and sensual quartet about desire and inspiration, love(r)s and muses, and the bonds between people that are so strong they skirt the bounds of madness, periodically spilling over the edge... but more rarely still, granting sanctuary and salvation.

Author Megan Chance has challenged herself to do justice to a story which is at once as timeless and focused as a tale of grand passion, need, art, and obsession must be; and as complex as the story of two artists (one who has lo
Julie
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Inamorata by Megan Chance is a 2014 Lake Union Publishing release.

A succubus is a female demon or supernatural entity in folklore (traced back to medieval legend) that appears in dreams and takes the form of a woman in order to seduce men, usually through sexual activity. The male counterpart is the incubus. Religious traditions hold that repeated sexual activity with a succubus may result in the deterioration of health or even death.

I chose this book as part of the kindle first reads program. I
Alicia
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the most beautifully written novels I have read in a long, long time.

This novel was ambitious in two areas that, I feel, are extremely challenging:
1) Describing the energy and beauty of visual art, such as frescos, paintings, and sketches that allows the reader to truly visualize their depth.
2) Writing about a very unique, and somewhat taboo, relationship between fraternal twins without getting creepy or tasteless.

To say Ms. Chance nailed those two challenges would be an understatemen
Corissa Stobing
Jul 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Andi
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down

This has been, by far, the best fictional story I've read in a long time. It is a fantasy, but is very well done. The idea behind the story was very original as were all of the characters.

I would definitely recommend this tale. The scenes in Venice are beautifully described as were the well developed characters. The story itself kept me guessing the entire time and as,such, I could not put it down for two days. The ending was perfect for a tale about demons, altho
Shannon Dyer
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Round up to 4.5 stars. Review to come at AAR.
Sara (Freadom Library)
This review was originally posted at https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com

Critically
Plot – 3 out of 5 stars
This was just strange. I honestly still don’t know what to make of it. It was confusing a lot of the time and dark and creepy. The pace was really slow the entire time until the last few chapters toward the end when things picked up and finally got interesting. I was really disinterested most of the time and it took a while for the plot to engage me. Not my favorite definitely.
Writing Sty
Sara
Jul 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Yes, she was his angel. But can’t you guess, my love? She was his demon too.

I received Inamorata through Amazon's Kindle First program several months ago. I finally decided to read it, and it wasn't quite what I expected.

In the summary, we're told that Joseph and Sophie Hannigan flee to Venice to escape some terrible scandal and find fame. Once there, Joseph falls under the spell of the terrible and beautiful Odilé, who promises Joseph fame -- if he's willing to give up everything.

This is tr
Stefanie
This one snuck to the front of the reading queue when I saw it on sale. A gothic romance / suspense tale set in mid-1800s Venice about a succubus and a dark and strange connection between twins? YES PLS. This genre-bender was deliciously dark and atmospheric, with a kind of hauntingly perfect end.

The tale centers on four characters: Odile, the succubus; Nick, one of her former targets now sworn to stop her; and the twins Sophie and Joseph - Joseph who's an up & coming artistic talent, and Sophie
Wart Hill
Sep 02, 2014 marked it as gave-up
Shelves: netgalley, arc2014
I received a free ARC via NetGalley. This fact has no bearing on my review

Boring, didn't hold my attention.
Suzanne
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
An engrossing yarn with a few minor problems, Inamorata is a page-turner of a thriller set in a beautifully wrought nineteenth century Venice. The writing is so detailed and luxurious that it transports you back, just like a book in this vein ought to.

Oh what a tangled web the succubus weaves: Odile, the embodiment of the muse, inspiration personified, drains artistically inclined men and feeds off their energy, leaving them to create one great epic masterpiece... and then in total shambles. So
Emily Crow
Probably more like 3.5 stars. A well-written, very original novel, infused with erotic longing. I'm not really sure how to describe it--the story concerns a brother and sister (twins) who have survived a horrible past by becoming inextricably entwined with each other, and a succubus on the prowl for her next victim. Set in Venice in the late 1800s, with lots of artists and gondoliers and descriptions of the crazy light. (OK, I will admit that synopsis will probably drive people away from the boo ...more
Ken Bour
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazon-free
This book is very different from the material I routinely consume. Megan Chance is a profoundly exceptional writer; I found myself engaged in this story from about the 2nd chapter once I became oriented. Her prose is elegant, descriptive, imaginative, and still approachable. The characters were clearly drawn and the dialogue sensible given the historical period and context. Without giving away the thrust of the novel, it required every bit of my willingness to suspend disbelief; however, once I ...more
Janice
Would you sell your soul to have the thing you desire the most? This story is set in Venice and centres around a brother and sister - twins - who come to Venice to seek fame and fortune for the brother who is an aspiring artist. Their fate becomes embroiled with that of a hunter and the man who hunts her. I found this to be a unique tale of love, passion, obsession, and characters with deep and dark secrets that kept me turning the pages. The story haunts me.
Laurie
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I had the hardest time rating this book! Part of me wanted to give it a 2 and part of me a 4. It's that kind of book: makes me feel very confused about what I thought of it. But it certainly was interesting, and the characters were extremely well developed. Although fascinating, I was repelled by some of them. Glad I read the book but if it were a movie I wouldn't have gone to see it!
Travis
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Historical fiction taking place in I believe 1800's Italy. A succubus adding a paranormal factor. Some steamy sex scenes. A good tale of a painter and some other famous artists who sacrifice it all to leave their mark on the world.
Meghan
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Amy
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Each of us has a wish. For some, it's fame. For others, it's wealth. Maybe you want to leave your mark in some way, whether it's by finding a cure for cancer or winning a gold medal in the Olympics. Everyone wants something.

And that is the crux of this book: what would you do if you could get what you want? What are you willing to part with? To accept? To deny or to embrace?

What price would you pay to make that wish come true?

The Hannigan twins want one thing: for Joseph to achieve fame as an ar

• Girl on a Wire (Cirque American, #1)
  • I Am Livia
  • Ticker
  • Miramont's Ghost
  • The Paper Magician
  • The Mermaid's Sister
  • Uganda Be Kidding Me
  • The Post-Black and Post-White Church: Becoming the Beloved Community in a Multi-Ethnic World
  • Environmental Ethics: Concepts, Policy, and Theory
  • Younger
  • 30 Pieces of Silver (Betrayed, #1)
  • The Dante Conspiracy: An explosive novella you won’t be able to put down
  • The Boundless (The Beholder, #2)
  • Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
  • The Santiago Sisters
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • The Wishing Hill

Megan Chance is the critically acclaimed, award-winning author of several novels. Girlposse.com calls her "a writer of extraordinary talent." Her books have been chosen by Amazon's Book of the Month, Borders Original Voices and IndieBound's Booksense. A former television ne