Start by marking “Promise of Blood (The Powder Mage, #1)” as Want to Read:
Promise of Blood (The Powder Mage, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Promise of Blood

(Powder Mage #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  36,544 ratings  ·  2,534 reviews
The Age of Kings is dead . . . and I have killed it.

It's a bloody business overthrowing a king...
Field Marshal Tamas' coup against his king sent corrupt aristocrats to the guillotine and brought bread to the starving. But it also provoked war with the Nine Nations, internal attacks by royalist fanatics, and the greedy to scramble for money and power by Tamas's supposed
Published January 7th 2014 by Orbit (first published April 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Promise of Blood, please sign up.
Ben Stahl I found all the females to actually come off as really sexist and felt like they didn't really exist for a reason beyond being a back drop to make the…moreI found all the females to actually come off as really sexist and felt like they didn't really exist for a reason beyond being a back drop to make the males feel more "complicated" or to solve problems with deus ex machina abilities.

I would guess that Vlora has *maybe* 200 lines of dialogue across entire 3 book series and doesn't really amount to much as a person other than "Taniel's ex fiance". (She does have a few moments where her dialogue hints at being an actual interesting character with a spine of her own, but that never really develops into anything.)

Ka Poel isn't bad at first, but she can't talk and she doesn't really do much in the book other than act as a god machine whenever the author needs to do something he didn't want to figure out how to explain (pretty convenient that she's a mute, yea?)

Then Fell, despite being a badass, is very literally owned by a male character.

I found Nila to be a hand wringing mary sue who was more obnoxious than anything else.

Adamat's wife, Faye, isn't present enough to really exist as anything other than the mother of a main characters children. (less)
Matthew Martin I would say that it depends upon your definition of "much" and "sexual content". There is no "explicit" content. But there is clear mention of rape,…moreI would say that it depends upon your definition of "much" and "sexual content". There is no "explicit" content. But there is clear mention of rape, harems, exploitation, sex slaves, and prostitution scattered throughout. There are at least two characters who travel with a number of concubines. The use of sex slaves was probably the most alarming content, directly referencing the use of the slaves as currency for blackmail and bribes. There is at least one attempted gang rape that's immediately stopped. In each reference, the perspective the book makes it clear that the practices are immoral and outdated. The book does present a number of examples of "healthy" relationships to contrast.(less)

·  36,544 ratings  ·  2,534 reviews

Start your review of Promise of Blood (The Powder Mage, #1)
Mark Lawrence
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book took me a while to read - so you might take that to mean it's easily put down. Actually it wasn't really, the main trouble for me was that when I did put it down the bugger vanished. EVERY. TIME. I've never had a book that's such an escape artist. I half-thought the cover might have an adaptive camouflage mode...

Anyway.

When I did get to hold onto it for any period I found the book highly readable.

The characters and description are good. McClellan's real forte though is in building
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Just as good as the first time around, but I tell ya.... I probably should have waited for the re-read because I still don't know when I'm going to get to the second and third one!

Re-reading with my wonderful friend ORIENT

*Read with some wonderful friends over at BB&B*

When I first started the book things were just thrown at me left and right. My poor little brain couldn't keep up with all of the people and what was going on, but my peeps in the book group said it gets better. And guess
Petrik
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Petrik by: Lema
Buddy read with these Powder Mages: Sarah, Mary & Haifa lurking

Promise of Blood, the first book in The Powder Mage trilogy and the debut work of Brian McClellan, Brandon Sanderson’s apprentice is indeed imbued with great promises and it didn’t disappoint.

It’s not uncommon for a high fantasy book to start their story with the dead of a king, it’s been done a lot of times already and Promise of Blood used the same plot device but there is a little bit of a twist. The main protagonist, Field
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
There wasn’t a single thing I didn’t like about Promise of Blood.

The best components were the characters. It struck me as profound in several places of the book how damn good McClellan was as creating deep connections between his characters to the point where it felt like reading about real people (making it all the more poignant when something happened to one of them). Most authors tell you there’s a connection, McClellan makes you feel it. The character profiles were nuanced and detailed, and
Lady Luna. ✨
1000/5

"The Age of Kings is dead . . . and I have killed it."

description

I.AM.DEAD

I haven't had the FEELS like this while reading a book in a such a long time. I swear, I had the feeling I had when I first read mistborn.. wait okay, maybe not that amount of feels but it was close. I love when you find a book you can't put down! Every chance I got to read this book I would drop all my other priorities. Even eating! This is my favourite read of 2017 so far.

description
"He had to do it the old fashioned way. One
Petros Triantafyllou
Promise of Blood is one of those books you pick up with low expectations and they proceed to blow your mind. The storytelling was great, as was the pace. Interesting circumstances kept occuring, and the tension was building slowly but steadily. Brian McClellan is unique on codifying the inherent over-specificity of juxtapositions.

"The world is changing. People do not exist to serve their governments or their kings.

Governments exist to serve the people, so the people should have a say in those
Samir
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4.5 stars.

First time I’ve heard about flintlock fantasy I imagined a bunch of military men in trenches wielding muskets and fighting for a small piece of territory day after day and having long and dreadful conversations about tactics, armory and shortage of supplies and personnel whilst drawing plans of attack on a huge map.

For that reason alone, I avoided this kind of fantasy and this book in particular because I didn’t want to go through that kind of experience. But this book
Emma
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A manly story of maleness and men doing stuff. There's so much sausage in this, it's practically a BBQ. Women are around to be low-impact stupid, with the sole exception of Ka-poel who is a super handy, super magic user and, once Taniel realises she's actually an age appropriate 'savage' instead of the child he thought she was, a possible love interest. And yes, they call her that repeatedly. To her face. Well kinda, because for most of the book they talk about her like she's not even there. ...more
Choko
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
*** 4 ***

A buddy read with the Fantasy fans @ BB&B! Because we love Fantasy in every shape and form:-)

Well, this was a pleasant surprise! Flint Lock Fantasy is nothing new for me, but this is the debut book for this author and you never know how it would go, despite the many good reviews. I am very pleased to say that it was not disappointing

Field Marshall Thamas and his cabal of Powder Mages have staged a coup in the tradition of the French and Russian Revolutions. Now they have to figure
Dan Schwent
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2013
In the aftermath of a bloody coup against the monarchy, Field Marshal Tamas struggles to hold the country together while trying to figure out who among his trusted allies is a traitor. Meanwhile, his estranged son goes into the mountains to kill a friend and stumbles upon a plot to summon a god...

As I've said in other reviews, there are certain times when a reader stumbles upon a book that hits all the sweet spots. For me, one of those special books was Promise of Blood.

I've read a fair amount
Bookwraiths
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

When this debut novel by Brian McClellan first hit shelves several years ago, it had loads of hype. Everyone seemed to be raving about how creative it was, how amazing the powder mages were, and how cool the whole flintlock fantasy setting was. And because of all that great word-of-mouth, I . . .stayed away from Promise of Blood like the plague.

Might sound strange, I know, but I did have a good reason: I never seem to like hyped books. Not sure why, but we do
Jody
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a buddy read with my fellow fantasy fanatics at FBR.

Promise of Blood drops you right into the action from the first chapter. With a unique magic system and a diverse cast of characters this is a fast paced story that kept me turning the pages deep into the night.

Field Marshall Tamas is doing what he thinks is right for his country by overthrowing the king and nobility of Adro, but the consequences may be more than he and his co-conspirators are ready to handle. Events have been set
Sana
May 05, 2017 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sana by: Lady Luna. ✨
Shelves: adult, fantasy
I got my copy earlier!! So now it's time for some sexy grandpa! ;)

also BR with my favorite sexy grandpa loving toto AND Maggiepoo
Haïfa
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Actual rating : 3.75 stars
****************************************

Buddy read with the Fantasy lovers at BB&B !

You can find this review and more at Novel Notions.

Alright, this was one of my most anticipated reads of 2017 !!

And I should have learned by now to keep my expectations reasonable ! Don't get me wrong ! This was a pretty good book and a debut, at that !! But despite bringing together amazing Fantasy elements and magic systems, Promise of Blood didn't blow my mind and there were
Solseit
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extended review on my blog and I am looking forward to reading your thoughts about it!

- -
First and foremost, this book reminded me that I am a book addict. I was not able to stop thinking about it when I was not reading it. Sleep was secondary to reading.
So I need to find a AA meeting for book readers.

Now, let's talk about the book though because this is what this media is dedicated to. 4.5 stars well deserved!

The story is told with majestic skill. It
Matthew
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, 2017, library, fantasy
Holy pit! This book was pretty good! (Not a typo - the most common exclamation in this universe is "pit)

Black powder artillery magic in a fantasy world? Yes, please!

Lot's of action, intrigue, deceit, and magic. Oddly enough, even with all this it was a little slow in a few places. Also, I swear there were a few big plot holes. There is one scene where I there was a character not there and in the middle of a one on one battle, the writing changed to include another character out of nowhere.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
MacHaloistic Buddy Read (MHBR) with Little One and alicat and Loriidae and stuff

Pre-review rating: 2.5 stars.
Post-review rating: 1.8899 stars. Because I'm ruthless like that.

Okay, so this book could have been pretty greatly great. Only that it wasn't. There was potential there. Lots of potentially awesome potential. Only that it went poof after the first few chapters in less time than it takes to say "get off my back and go skewer some puny humans, murderous children mine!" I mean, the
Daniel Greene
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not think I would enjoy Promise of Blood so much but WOW this was solid. Not revolutionary, or deeper than most, but a ROCK solid fantasy entry. I could see where people would have problems, but damn, I just had fun with this one.
Bradley
I've been hearing a lot of good things about this book and while I was somewhat skeptical at first, I am quite pleased to announce that it was delightful. :)

Delightful as in lots of blood and guts, gun-mages, sorcerers, revolution, plain war, resurrected gods, a very sneaky Chef and a fantastic investigation that's all gumshoe mystery in a fully-realized fantasy realm.

What makes this stand out, though?

I think it's mostly the characters, the bright pacing, and the magic system.

A lot of these epic
Will M.
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war, fantasy, 2014
When you've read a few novels of the same genre simultaneously, odds are you'll eventually start rating the latter ones lower than it should receive. I've been in a Fantasy marathon, and some were really great, but some were terrible. Promise of Blood falls under neutral, it wasn't boring or bad, but it didn't blow my mind. I picked this up because the premise seemed really interesting, and gunpowder sounded really cool to me. I didn't get what I wanted though, but I almost did.

Promise of Blood
Liam Degnan
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars. Sorry I'm only just getting this up now, I had a very busy weekend =].

I'll say this right at the beginning: everybody should pay careful attention to Brian McClellan. I have a feeling that this trilogy is just the start for him. If the quality of his writing is any indicator, we can expect great things from him. I had my few issues with the book, but seriously, this guy knows how to write.

This was a great book. Truly interesting world, as well as excellent characters with multiple
Conor
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Promise of Blood was an intense, action packed opening to a series that I'm really excited to continue. It had a complex, brilliantly executed magic system, great characters and a good plot that was interesting up until the very end. I'm definitely going to read the sequel soon.

The magic system in this book was incredible. I've heard it compared to Sanderson's Mistborn series but having never read it I can't really comment. What I can say is that this was one of the most complex and intriguing
Emma
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
2.5 stars rounded up to 3 stars because I know this book is better than I think it is! This was my third attempt to read this book and I finally made it through. I don't really know why it didn't gel with me- maybe something in the writing style? I didn't really bond with any of the characters. The magic system itself was quite different but even that didn't really inspire me. Meh.....
TS Chan
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came to know about Brian McClellan as an up-and-coming author who has attended Brandon Sanderson’s writing classes at BYU. Now those of who you know me or have followed my reviews are well aware of how I pretty much worship all things Sanderson. Did this in any way influence how I view this book? Not in the least.

Given that this is a debut, Promise of Blood is really darn good. While the magic system (powder mages specifically) seemed to be inspired by Sanderson’s Allomancy, McClellan made it
Milda Page Runner

Light and action packed blockbuster of military (flintlock) fantasy. Interesting complex plot, flawed but easy to relate to characters, innovative and complex magic system and mad pacing. One of those books that throws you straight into action and doesn’t let go. It doesn’t bother with any explanations or descriptions – gives you just enough info to keep you going. Amount of things happening in the storyline would be enough to write a trilogy for another writer.

It’s a debut novel so no wonder
Twila
“What must be done will be done.”

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I tried hard to convince myself to give Promise of Blood the complete 4 stars I wanted to give it. I have no negative feelings toward this book and I’m actually extremely fond of it, but after thinking about it and weighing all the pros and cons, I just couldn’t. I feel sort of bad about this because I really did enjoy the book, but like Sabon said, you do what you gotta do. I’m still a little upset with myself though

Alright, so this
Emily
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
This book was fantastic - best book I've read this year and I can't wait to read the rest (right after I finish the new Darker Shade of Magic book). I loved the characters, I loved the story line, and I liked the innovative idea that magic and guns could be used together.

So one thing that has me a bit worried. I looked at the author's Goodread page and compared my books to his - I noticed he's read the Malazan books (which are huge favorites of mine), but then I noticed a disturbing similarity
Sam
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-2016
Definitely a solid start to a series although not completely without flaws. However, the story really builds on itself which allowed me to get more and more engaged as the book went on. It's unique, the setting is different yet familiar enough to be immersive, and the magic system feels well thought-out.

I won't lie though. I had a hell of a time getting into this story and it almost became one of my "to finish someday" books. The skeleton of something great was there which kept it from being an
Skylar Phelps
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Going into Promise of Blood, I was a little hesitant for a couple of reasons. First of all, there are so many raving reviews, many of which from friends that I look up to and hold in respect as having excellent bookish taste. That’s not necessarily a bad thing but I worry that my expectations tend to put a damper on my actual experience and I never want to begin a book with preconceived judgments and/or presumptions.

Secondly, I quite recently completed the other front running flintlock fantasy
seak
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, arc-review
Guns, Germs, and Steel... well, minus germs...and probably not so much economics... oh and plus magic.

Okay that was not even remotely applicable. Why would anyone think that even made any sense?

Pretty early in my reading of Promise of Blood, I said, "An investigator looking into a mystery, an assassin-type chasing a mage, and then Tamas, just Tamas. I look forward to every POV, how is that even possible?"

I can't say this really changed throughout the entire book. There's one small POV that's in
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Promise of Blood [August 25, 2019] 46 50 Oct 19, 2019 02:43PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Promise of Blood [Mar 15, 2018] 77 67 Nov 23, 2018 03:38PM
All About Fantasy!: Promise of Blood 4 8 Feb 06, 2018 04:57AM

• The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaigns, #1)
  • The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
  • Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1)
  • The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • The Shadow Throne (The Shadow Campaigns, #2)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer #5)
  • The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer, #4)
  • The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle, #1)
  • The Crown Tower (The Riyria Chronicles, #1)
  • The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy, #1)
  • The Price of Valour (The Shadow Campaigns, #3)
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1)
  • The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4)
  • Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1)
Brian McClellan is an American epic fantasy author from Cleveland, Ohio. He is known for his acclaimed Powder Mage Universe and essays on the life and business of being a writer.

Brian now lives on the side of a mountain in Utah with his wife, Michele, where he writes books and nurses a crippling video game addiction.

Brian's novels include the Powder Mage Trilogy (Promise of Blood, The Crimson

Powder Mage (3 books)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)
“You’ve one mark on your record,” Tamas said. “You once punched a na-baron in the face. Broke his jaw. Tell me about that.”
Olem grimaced. “Officially, sir, I was pushing him out of the way of a runaway carriage. Saved his life. Half my company saw it.”
“With your fist?”
“Aye.”
“And unofficially?”
“The man was a git. He shot my dog because it startled his horse.”
“And if I ever have cause to shoot your dog?”
“I’ll punch you in the face.”
“Fair enough. You have the job.”
74 likes
“Doctor, what could you prescribe for Charlemund?”
The doctor looked down his nose at the unconscious form of the arch-diocel.
“Arsenic?”
“Now, really. Something to give him a quality headache and a great deal of memory loss.”
“Cyanide.”