Start by marking “By the Light of the Moon (Lakeside, #1)” as Want to Read:
By the Light of the Moon (Lakeside, #1)

By the Light of the Moon

(Lakeside #1)

Book #1 in the Lakeside Series!

Withdrawn and with a reputation for her strange, eccentric ways, young Lady Moira Rochmond is old to be unwed. Rumors say, she has been seen barefoot in the orchard, is awake all night in moon-struck rambles and sleeps all day. Some will even claim her ghostly pallor and aloof manner are signs of illness, of a curse or insanity.
The hopes of t
ebook, 2nd Revised Edition
Published May 6th 2014 by Lilt Literary (first published April 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about By the Light of the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By the Light of the Moon

Laila Blake
Feb 05, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, I wrote it and when I started, I had no idea how much I would fall in love with writing it. So as silly as it is to give my own book a rating, Goodreads keeps asking me to and it would be disingenuous to give it anything else - because I love the characters and the love story. But I can't wait to hear what you all think!
Shari-amor
Lady Moira Rochmond is an eccentric young heiress who would prefer solitude and the beauty of nature over tending to her duties as the daughter of a lord. Her nightly walks, unhealthy sleep patterns, and odd behavior has fueled rumors that she may be afflicted with either a mental illness or a curse. Fearing for her safety and sanity, her father hires a mysterious Blaidyn creature to protect her.

The Blaidyn in question, Owain, is a wolf shapeshifter, created by the Fae. Owain was hoping for an
Arely
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story started out a little confusingly. During the first few chapters I found myself wondering what was going on, and who all these people we were being introduced to were. The beginning was hardest for me because I'm the type of person who likes to know what's happening all the time.
But with By the Light of the Moon, it worked. After those first few chapters, I really started to get into it and, as the author explained more and more, I found myself quickly turning over the pages to see wha
Diana (Offbeat Vagabond)
Original review here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2013/04/interview-review-giveaway-by-light-of.html

By the Light of the Moon is a story about a young woman named Moira. She is a lady, but she hates it. She feels like she is in a prison and tried whatever she can to leave. People think she is quite strange because of how she doesn't act like what they think a lady should. Not to mention, her appearance is sort of ghostly and she has dark marks under her eyes. There are men who are interes
Liz
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moira Rochmond is an odd sort of recluse. She prefers the company of nature and the moon to that of humans. In fact, if she had her way, she would take nightly walks, roaming freely along the countryside and communing with nature. Unfortunately, because she is the daughter of Lord Rochmond, keeper of the Bramble Keep castle and lands, she isn't supposed to indulge herself that way. Being outside of her father's protection at any time is unsafe for a woman during this period, and so she tries to ...more
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: werewolves
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

By the Light of the Moon begins much the same as any other fairy tale; a soon-to-be-wed young woman is tired of doing as she’s told and living her sheltered life so she goes looking for adventure only to find it in the arms of a sexy werewolf. Laila Blake’s writing style flows well and fits the time period of this book nicely. I always enjoy a good forbidden love story! There’s great chemistry between Moira and Owain but I found that their relationship was, at times, over
Jasmin
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review (Lovers of Paranormal).

My first impression of this book was definitely not a good one. I mean that cover looks like a cheap erotic novel! I understand that most new and indie authors can't invest a lot of money into cover art, but I have to say, when I buy a book I first judge it by it's cover (even though normally you shouldn't do this). But as long as a book doesn't have a lot of reviews and a good reputation I do it that way and "By the L
Helena Ison
*Note this just a portion of my review, view the rest of it on my blog: Accepted Wisdom

Addictive is the easiest way for me to define the writing style of Laila Blake! I was shocked to learn that this was her first novel because it is just so finely written. She has a way of making you plunge into the story so deep that you will curse yourself for not being able to read faster. Blake also has a knack for writing sensual mature scenes that will make you swoon and blush profusely. The character dev
Farrah
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely romance with a mix of paranormal. By the Light of the Moon was a wonderful historical/paranormal romance.

The characters in this book were great.
Moira was a lovely heroine. She had a quiet strength that made her an admirable character. She wasn't afraid to do whatever she had to do for love. I can't say much more about her. She was an awesome character.

Owain was ah-mazing. I loved him. He was the epitome of dark and mysterious and, wow, did he know how to use it. But, he was also so swee
Kelly
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Before discussing the story, I’d like to first say how much I love the cover and interior graphics in this book. I believe Laila did it all herself, apart from the original artwork used. Amazing!

This novel is a fantasy tale with a strong romance sub-plot. It’s also very New Adult, showing Moira Rochmond’s journey of discovery about her heritage and the forbidden love between Owain and herself. I love this couple, they have quite contrary personalities but balance each other so well. The emotiona
Chele Cooke
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘By the Light of the Moon’ by Laila Blake should not be called a Romance novel in my opinion. It should be called a Romance Squared, for the romance and emotion of the story is not limited to its pages and characters, spilling out and gripping us as well. The beautiful prose does not only make us understand the emotions of the characters, but makes us feel them, drawing us into a rich and beautiful world and making us care for the fate of these characters as much as they care for it themselves.

L
Cris
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So many people have tried Medieval fantasy, and the majority have fallen prey to a number of problems. It's a very difficult genre - the world can't be too big, but also can't be too small. The species in it, if there are any, have to have just the right amount of exposition. The characters must be developed and identifiable even to reads from another time and place.

Laila Blake accomplishes these gargantuan tasks and makes them look easy. She successfully creates a world with just enough informa
CaroleDee
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By the Light of the Moon was a great read, especially from a budding author. (Have I mentioned lately how much I love living in the digital age? We get access to so many more great story tellers than in recent years!)

There was just enough mystery and intrigue to keep me reading, but not enough to frustrate. The characters are well written and extremely likable. Even, the deceptive Fae and egocentric potential fiance' were well established.

Shifter Owain and mysterious Moira's developing relations
OrchardBookClub
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed by Laura

This is book #1 in the Lakeside series and what a fantastic start to a new

series!

By the Light of the Moon follows the story of Lady Moira Rochmond, a

strange but very intriguing young woman. Moira prefers her own

company and even takes to midnight walks so she can feel at peace.

Her father, to ensure her safety, hires a body guard to protect Moira.

The bodyguard, Owain, is a Blaidyn and changes into a wolf at every full

moon. Moira stumbles across Owain in his wolf form one fu
☺~Tina~☺

A good start to a new series. There were still a lot of unanswered questions but the author will touch on those in the next books.

It started a little abrupt for me. I felt like I walked in on a story and was waiting for someone to catch me up. Around 30%, it smoothed out and I was more into the story.

I like the characters and their secrets. Moira seems strange but she is more like out of place. Owain (a Blaidyn (werewolf)) was a nice match for Moira and her quirkiness. He was brought in to be
Brittany Gilespie
Amazing romance novel with enough paranormal elements to keep you on your toes. The story line is intriguing from the first page, keeps you sucked in and not wanting to put it down. Character description and interaction is paralleled by no other book i have read this year. The plot is superb has enough twists and turns to keep the story interesting and to add new dimensions to the story but not to many that you it becomes confusing. Would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a romance ...more
Asha
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you pick up only one book this year, make sure it's this one. There are not enough words I can use to describe how brilliant this book is. I picked this book up on impulse. Now paranormal romance usually isn't a genre that interests me, BUT! the world building, unique spins on races and the story in general kept me awake and reading constantly for over 50 hours non stop. I just could not put it down.

Eagerly awaiting the rest of the series and whatever else Laila does. Can see this author goin
Eveline
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: perfect-heroines
This is such a wonderful book, I definitely didn't expect to be so balled over by a new writer. The genre is kind of overflowing but this hit all my buttons: intricate and original world-building, great characters -- and that includes the supporting ones, a heroine that is strong but a very relatable way, strong like someone who has been hurt before and survived. And the hero... oh what can I say about the hero? He's perfect and wonderful and he made me have all those little hot feelings that yo ...more
L.C. Spoering
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not your average romance. The characters introduced by this first time novelist have a kind of depth one might not expect from the genre; Blake approaches very real issues with a delicate touch, and creates a cast that is both intriguing and believable. The plot has enough twists and turns, mysteries and romantic and sweet scenes to keep you turning the page. There is something for everyone in By the Light of the Moon.
charlie ☾
There’s a reason why I don’t usually review historical romance. I usually find it hard to adjust in the setting. I am not familiar with the archaic words used and I find it hard to imagine the scene itself. All I can see in my mind are fluffy dresses and laces.

It wasn’t different while I was reading this book. I had a lot of questions and comments. I didn’t understand a lot of things. It might have helped if the author explained the strange characters when they were first mentioned. One of my q
~Kate~
I was asked by the author if I would like to review the first and second book in the Lakeside series which with it being a new adult book I jumped at the chance the only thing was it didn't grab me like most other new adult books have done...

The cover for this book is absolutely stunning. It is completely different to other covers that I have seen around especially for new adult books. I love the use of colours especially the hint of red as it makes the cover pop more than what it would have if
Ezinwanyi
This book started off kinda of sinister, but then we met a young lady named Moira Rochmond. She was a young girl that just didn’t fit in her environment. She had a free spirit and loved just being out in nature, contrary to her protective father’s preference of keeping her in doors. Moira was an heir to a huge fortune, so her father wanted to keep her safe from enemies and protect her virtue from fortune hunters.
When many guards had difficulty keeping up with Moira and her ability to slip the gu
Bex 'n' Books
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewer: Bex
Rating: 4 out of 5 Fairies

By the Light of the Moon is an entertaining historical PNR.

It initially took me a few chapter to fully warm up to the characters and to thoroughly understand what was going on, yet when I did, it soon became apparent that the characters the author crafted are pretty awesome and finely developed.

Moira is a character who I eventually grew to admire and like. I enjoyed the way the author developed her character. What was especially enjoyable was that she didn'
Crystal
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book by LoP in place of an honest review.

I decided to read this book not knowing what kind of adventure I would go on. This book was a magical and exciting read. There were new mystical creatures that I had never heard about. That is what made it even more exciting. At first it took me a little to get into the story. As soon as Owain came the scene it started to get very interesting.

Moira knows that she is different and could really care less anymore. She just wishes that everyo
Carin
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laila Blake takes fantasy and mixes it with her version of the paranormal, with fae, witches, blaidyn (think wolf shifter)set in an older period in time the world in By the Light of the Moon is one unlike any I have ever read before.

By the Light of the Moon has an interesting storyline and characters that are quirky and unusual. Ms. Blake builds a world with magic and mystery with our heroine having odd behaviours ahd questionable parentage and our hero is an older character who is a breed I th
Alyssa
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review (Lovers of Paranormal).

When I first started reading this book, I was a little skeptical if I would like it. It was incredibly well written, however the author just sort of launches you right into the middle of a story and I had a very difficult time trying to understand. However, about a quarter of the way through I figured it all out and I was hooked!

I absolutely loved the main characters relationship. They liked each other from th
Jenny Hagan
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
After reading this book, I found that I wanted to reread it again and again. I love romance and Blake does a completely awesome job crafting it with this piece of romantic fiction. Her characters are believable, fun and interesting. I could hardly put it down. The first few pages had me wondering, but as the book went on, I became invested in it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Worth every bit of the five stars that it has gotten.
Allyson
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through lop for an honest review. I loved this book but the first few chapters I was a little confused of what was going on but then It started coming together and I was hooked couldn't read it fast enough! The plot was great and the characters were like you could relate to them and how they felt. loved it. I loved the world the author created for this story. If your looking for a great Paranormal/Historical story is for you! I love the cover of the book!
Ariella
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book in exchange for honest review (LoP). Moira is a unwed lady and her farther wants to get her wed off. Owain falls in love with Moira. This is a beautiful story. I highly recommend this book.
Wrathsqueen
My blog review of By The Light Of The Moon, plus interview with Laila Blake-

« previous 1 3 next »
  • Someone Else's Skye (Men of Brahm Hill, Book One)
  • Secrets and Lies (Cassie Scot, #2)
  • The Royal Flush (Knights of the Darkness Chronicles, #3)
  • Feeling Death (The Death Trilogy #1)
  • Banshee Charmer (Files of the Otherworlder Enforcement Agency #1)
  • Highland Heart (Highland Hearts, #0.5)
  • Moonlight (Immortalis, #4.5)
  • Dark Waltz (Praestani, #1)
  • Shadows of Valor
  • Love's Prophecy (Prophecy, #1)
  • Silver Moon: The Complete Saga
  • Purgatory Reign
  • I Kissed a Dog (Werewolves of the West, #1)
  • Spectral
  • Lizzy Speare and the Cursed Tomb
  • Eden
  • The Last Keeper's Daughter (The Last Keeper's Daughter, #1)
  • Predator's Serenade (Gemini Island Shifters, #2)
Please find me on all those fun other places we can connect with each other!
www.lailablake.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Laila-B...
Twitter: https://twitter.com/LailaJBlake
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/stainsofblue/
Tumblr: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/stainsofblue

Lakeside (2 books)
  • A Taste of Winter (Lakeside, #2)