Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “One Past Midnight: The Langoliers” as Want to Read:
One Past Midnight: The Langoliers
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

One Past Midnight: The Langoliers

by
3.85  ·  Rating details ·  29,554 Ratings  ·  419 Reviews
The first of a four-part audio series from Stephen King's best-selling book, Four Past Midnight. On a redeye flight from Los Angeles to Boston, only 11 passengers survive—but landing in a dead world makes them wish they hadn't.
Paperback, 216 pages
Published November 15th 1990 (first published January 1989)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about One Past Midnight, please sign up.
Popular Answered Questions
This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
Kostas Papadatos
Μισώ τα αεροπλάνα, αλήθεια τα μισώ πολύ. Προτιμώ να κλειστώ σε έναν υπόνομο και να τρώω κλαδιά και μούρα μέχρι τα βαθιά γεράματα παρά να επιβιβαστώ σε κάποιο από αυτά τα ιπτάμενα διαβολοαντικείμενα. Αδέλφια Ράιτ…σας ψάχνω. Αν ήταν στο χέρι μου, οι μετακινήσεις θα πραγματοποιούνταν ακόμα με γαϊδουράκια και θα έκανα τα πάντα να σαμποτάρω την εφεύρεση του τροχού.
Το βιβλίο λοιπόν ξύπνησε τους χειρότερους εφιάλτες μου, δεν φτάνει που εξαφανίστηκαν ως δια μαγείας οι περισσότεροι επιβάτες της πτήσης, δ
...more
Nikoleta
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Trudi

Over the years this has remained one of my favorite pieces of King's writing. In a phrase, IT IS AWESOME. The first time you read it there is so much mystery, tension, what the bleep mindfuck going on that it literally keeps you on the edge of your seat. As a science fiction story, I proclaim it a classic.

You really want to come to this novella completely blind, because the reveals are so rewarding you don't want to be robbed of them early. But I have discovered upon subsequent re-reads (and no
...more
ΔΕΣΠΟΙΝΑ Ντρέκη
Δεν φοβάμαι τα αεροπλάνα, αντιθέτως μου αρέσει πολύ να ταξιδεύω με αυτά. Σε αντίθεση με τον συγγραφέα που το έχει δηλώσει ότι τα τρέμει. Και σε αυτό το βιβλίο φαίνεται μάλλον γιατί τα φοβάται.Είναι ένα βιβλίο θρίλερ επιστημονικής φαντασίας, που αυτοί που φοβούνται ήδη τα αεροπλάνα θα δικαιωθούν. Αναφέρεται σε μια συγκεκριμένη πτήση την 29 που ταξιδεύει από το Λος Άντζελες για Βοστώνη και στην πορεία του συμβαίνουν απίστευτα πράγματα. Τα πιο απίστευτα όμως συμβαίνουν αφού προσγειωθούν, οι εναπομε ...more
Gorgona Grim
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Kada razmišljam o tome da li se plagijatori susreću sa osećajem krivice i moralnim sukobom unutar sebe, nadam se da to izgleda upravo ovako kako to doživljava Mort. Možda zlonamerno sa moje strane, ali karma je kučka. Sviđa mi se kako je priča napisana i što za promenu imamo dostojan kraj priče, potpuno atipično za Kinga, poznatog po nedorečenim krajevima čija je pretenzija da čitalac sam izvodi zaključke i priču zvršava prema ličnim idejama i afinitetima.

Pratimo Morta i njegov život koji se me
...more
Dimitri
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy, fiction
The Langoliers tear through this story of gradual bewilderment so swiftly that you barely have time to ask yourself the million dollar question: how does Stephen King do it ? Even in short story format, he can stretch a one-trick pony. On-screen would take up two seconds to reveal itself to the audience; how can he kill so much time with dialogue and mood-building so as to keep us flipping the pages ? Unlike a slasher movie, Stephen King only needs one kill. We only need one read. It's the inher ...more
Chrissa Vasileiou
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
Ακόμα μια εξαιρετική ιστορία του Βασιλιά. Από αυτές που ξεκινούν με έναν τρόπο που φαντάζει απόλυτα καθημερινός και 'νορμάλ' και καταλήγουν σε καταστάσεις που άνετα χαρακτηρίζονται εξωπραγματικές.

Πρωτότυπη ως σκέψη ούτως ή άλλως, η "Νυχτερινή πτήση 29" αναφέρεται σε μια πτήση ενός Boing 767 από το Λος Άντζελες προς τη Βοστώνη. Ενώ βρίσκονται κάπου στα 36.000 πόδια,κάποιοι από τους επιβάτες ξυπνάνε και συνειδητοποιούν πως σχεδόν όλοι οι υπόλοιποι επιβάτες έχουν εξαφανιστεί! Έχουν απομείνει μόνο
...more
Marian
Las tres estrellas se la llevan solo "Los langoliers". La segunda novela corta nunca me enganchó. Y no engancharme con King no me pasaba desde Buick 8... :(
Jake
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You remember that first time as an adult when you watched an old Hanna-Barbera cartoon that you loved as a kid and you almost choked to death from hoarking up some stomach acid because you just discovered that you spent like 12 years of your life being a total dumbfuck?

That's The Langoliers.

I loved The Langoliers when I was a kid. And even today, creepy airplane stories just do it for me. So, with fall happening, this seemed like a perfect time to revisit a story I've loved for 20 years, but hav
...more
Marts  (Thinker)
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hey, this is one of those Stephen King books that I could just read over and over, and hey, I haven't said anything about the movie as yet, I've actually seen it about 5 times.
Imagine that a guy who's entire life is built on a fear of an imaginary thing!!
Paul
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. Has mystery wrapped up in elements of Horror and Even a little romance.
Mafalda Fernandes
This was a gripping roller-coaster of emotions and actions!
I couldn't put the book down, I really need to find out what would happen to the characters.
Ignacio Senao f
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Los lagolieros (4/5): una ciencia ficción muy manida en la actualidad. En la que un grupo de personas tras viajar en avión, al aterrizar están solos, no hay olores, todo caducado. ¿Qué ha pasado? Lleva bien la historia y engancha.

Ventana secreta, secreto jardín (4/5): vi mucho antes la película y me gusto. El relato más aun. La típica persona cogida por los huevos que intenta salvar el culo, llegando a un punto que no se sabe si es cosa suya o real.
Jamie
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, time-travel
I think I felt almost as unsettled as the characters in this tale full of the unkown with twists and turns. From alternate dimensions, government conspirisies, time travel and childhood nightmares this book is filled with a mystery to solve as to what happened to the rest of the world and can these few survivors ever live a normal life again. I loved the characters. Well, most of them. One had too small a role to get any feel for. I don't even think he got a name in the book. But even the crazie ...more
Vicho
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Los lagolieros me agradó, me entretuvo, pero no fue un wow! qué genial historia! La segunda sin embargo, me encantó. Sí esperaba el descenlace, pero la manera que se desarrolla me pareció genial.
Gorgona Grim
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Prva od četiri priče u okviru knjige "Četiri iza ponoći" mi je možda i najslabija od svih, dok je sa pričom Sunov pas u "donjoj" polovini što se utisaka tiče. U najvećoj meri sam za to sama zaslužna, zbog toga što sam pretpostavila kako bi tok događaja mogao da se razvija i sebi pokvarila užitak jer sam prvi put posle mnogo vremena ispravno pretpostavila.

Pilotu Brajanu Engleu umire supruga i mora da uhvati let. Izmrcvaren, pada u san nedugo nakon poletanja. Putnici su raznoliki, ali u jednom tre
...more
kostas  vamvoukakis
καποιοι συγγραφεις το χουν...πολυ ομως...παιρνουν μια μικρη ιστορια την τραβανε απο τα μαλλια και σε κανουν να περνας καλα...πολυ καλα...
ο κινγκ ειναι ο μεγαλυτερος μαστορας στο να σε κανει να περνας καλα στα βιβλια του αν και μερικες φορες ειναι πολυλογας.
το συγκεκριμενο ειναι κλασικο κινγκ με ολη τη μαστορια της αψογης αφηγησης, της πολυ εξυπνης σκιαγραφησης χαρακτηρων αλλα και της απολυτα ελεγχομενης αγωνιας που σου προκαλει...μου αρεσε πολυ
Chrissieskleinewelt
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Rezi: folgt
Vanessa
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Stephen King stories I've ever read. Totally riveting! Also listened to it while flying... not sure I can say that's recommended for everyone. But I loved it!
Kevin J.J. Carpenter
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have to say it, the TV Mini-Series of "The Langoliers" must honestly be one of the most faithful adaptions I've ever seen. The characters are all there, they're pretty much identical to their cousins from the book, the story follows the exact same beats, and even many of the lines remain unchanged. It truly is an example of a purist's adaption ... but that's not exactly a good thing.

For example, I believed the overly gimmicky, happy-go-lucky, freeze-frame ending from the TV Mini-Series was a c
...more
Caro
Las cuatro después de medianoche es libro recopilatorio de historias cortas, muy al estilo de Las cuatro estaciones y que originalmente fue lanzado con los cuatro relatos en un solo volumen, aunque después fue editado en dos volúmenes:
Las dos después de medianoche y Las cuatro después de medianoche.

En este primer volumen encontramos otras dos historias que han llegado a las pantallas. Y justamente esas fueron las razones por las que leí el libro (me temo que con Mr. King, la mayoría de las vec
...more
Juan Nieto Cano
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Muy buenos los dos relatos, me han encantado los dos por igual, cada uno tiene su cosa. Los Lagorieros me ha gustado porque es un relato de ciencia-ficción, género que me encanta, y La ventana secreta me ha gustado mucho por como se desarrolla la historia, la mente de Mort y sobre el personaje de John Shooter el papel que va desempeñando, y sobre todo el final, como se le vuelve a dar todo una pequeña vuelta de rosca más.
Merci Pol
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best
With their existence, Langoliers outlined many of zigzag lines full of nothing, straight across my mind, that would under normal circumstances say some exotic words about this phenomenal Kings's creation.
Chiara
I langolieri: 4/5
Finestra segreta, giardino segreto: 3/5

Consiglio da amica: MAI leggere i langolieri prima di prendere l'aereo.
Per la prima volta.
Di notte.
Conor McHugh
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, just as good as short stories can get. In fact its pretty much a novel. Over 200 pages, yes i think it just about counts as a novel.

Great inventive and suspenseful storyline, amazing characters. I couldnt stop thinking about this story. I even watched the mini series on youtube whilst reading it. Well not at the same time, but you get me, like i read 50 pages, then watched it up to that point.
One of my fave KING stories and looking forward to reading the other short stories in "four past
...more
Steve
Apr 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Langoliers is a good story. I can't put it any other way. I loved the Idea of the time rip being mistaken for the Aurora Borealis. The Langoliers had a lot of good ideas and developed them nicely, keeping the more outlandish ones within the realm of possibility. The plot was smooth (not any jerky transitions) and was very fun to read. It was also intelligent. It's one of those books you can't stop reading, it hooks you and doesn't let go. There was also less profanity that most of Stephen Ki ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This is more of a science fiction/thriller than horror. I enjoyed the ensemble cast, particularly the enigmatic Nick. This story does keep you wondering how things will be resolved. I thought the miniseries was pretty true to the story as well. Really liked the actor they chose to play Nick. He nailed him. I really like to see King try something that isn't his usual genre, as he did with Eyes of a Dragon. I think it was a success. My copy is in Four Past Midnight. Probably won't read the other s ...more
Jack Saxon
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this one! Some say that it doesn't hold up all that well...but I have to say that the creativity in the writing is good enough to overpower any issues the book might have. I wish I could say the same for the quirky TV movie version. Oh well, they can't all be brilliant!
Ιφιγένεια
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
Αρκετά καλό , γρήγορη πλοκή , ανατροπές και με μια αρκετά περίπλοκη υπόθεση . Σίγουρα δεν μπαίνει στα αγαπημένα μου και σίγουρα έχω διαβάσει πολύ καλύτερα βιβλία του Βασιλιά αλλά αξίζει να διαβαστεί ειδικά από τους φανατικούς του Κινγκ .
♥ Marlene♥
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
must change edition
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Rage
  • Night Visions 5
  • Haunting Obsession
  • Creepshow
  • Fear Itself: The Horror Fiction of Stephen King
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance
  • The Stone Leopard
  • Twilight Eyes
  • The Twilight Zone: The Original Stories
  • The Stephen King Companion
  • Books of Blood: Volumes 1-6 (Books of Blood #1-6)
  • Japan Sinks: A Novel about Earthquakes
  • Narrativa completa (vol. I)
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me
  • Der Inquisitor
  • Bad Twin
  • The Best of Robert Bloch
  • Caravan of Dreams
351,119 followers
Stephen Edwin King was born the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his father left them when Stephen was two, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When Stephen was eleven, his mother brought her children back to Durham, M ...more
More about Stephen King

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

  • Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • When Gravity Fails (The Budayeen Cycle, 1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
“Maybe Shooter was a writer. He fulfilled both of the main requirements: he told a tale you wanted to hear to the end, even if you had a pretty good idea what the end was going to be, and he was so full of shit he squeaked. ” 4 likes
“He remembered a pilot telling him once, 'They pay us a hundred thousand dollars or more a year, Brian, and they really do it for just one reason. They know that in almost every pilot's career, there are thirty or forty seconds when he might actually make a difference. They pay us not to freeze when those seconds finally come.” 1 likes
More quotes…