Start by marking “One Past Midnight: The Langoliers” as Want to Read:
One Past Midnight: The Langoliers

One Past Midnight: The Langoliers

The first of a four-part audio series from Stephen King's best-selling book, Four Past Midnight. On a redeye flight from Los Angeles to Boston, only 11 passengers survive—but landing in a dead world makes them wish they hadn't.
Published November 15th 1990 (first published January 1989)

To ask other readers questions about One Past Midnight, please sign up.

Start your review of One Past Midnight: The Langoliers
Peter
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Shooting stars only! This is one of the most terrifying mixtures of sci-fi meets horror I ever read. Brian is flying to Boston since he got notice that his ex-wife has died. It's Flight 29. In the early morning only a handful of passengers is left in the 767. Where is the rest? Why can fillings, clamps and purses be found on the seats? At first Brian, an aircraft captain, thinks there must have been an accident. But something worse is waiting for them. One of the passengers, Craig Toomy calls th ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Langoliers, Stephen King
The Langoliers is a horror miniseries consisting of two episodes of 1½ hours each. It was directed and written by Tom Holland and based on the novella by Stephen King from the four part anthology book Four past Midnight. The series was produced by Mitchell Galin and David R. Kappes. The miniseries originally aired May 14–15, 1995 on the ABC network. During a red eye flight of a Lockheed L-1011 from Los Angeles International Airport to Boston Logan International Airpor
Trudi

Over the years this has remained one of my favorite pieces of King's writing. In a phrase, IT IS AWESOME. The first time you read it there is so much mystery, tension, what the bleep mindfuck going on that it literally keeps you on the edge of your seat. As a science fiction story, I proclaim it a classic.

You really want to come to this novella completely blind, because the reveals are so rewarding you don't want to be robbed of them early. But I have discovered upon subsequent re-reads (and no
Jake
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You remember that first time as an adult when you watched an old Hanna-Barbera cartoon that you loved as a kid and you almost choked to death from hoarking up some stomach acid because you just discovered that you spent like 12 years of your life being a total dumbfuck?

That's The Langoliers.

I loved The Langoliers when I was a kid. And even today, creepy airplane stories just do it for me. So, with fall happening, this seemed like a perfect time to revisit a story I've loved for 20 years, but hav
Dimitri
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sf-fantasy
The Langoliers tear through this story of gradual bewilderment so swiftly that you barely have time to ask yourself the million dollar question: how does Stephen King do it ? Even in short story format, he can stretch a one-trick pony. On-screen would take up two seconds to reveal itself to the audience; how can he kill so much time with dialogue and mood-building so as to keep us flipping the pages ? Unlike a slasher movie, Stephen King only needs one kill. We only need one read. It's the inher ...more
Anna
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this -- very much in line with King's stuff from the '80s. Not everything was explained with the "time rip" and other fantasy time travelling elements of the narrative, but the story had a nice satisfying ending because the characters are so well written and the action is well paced. Eager to see what comes next in "Four Past Midnight."
Marts  (Thinker)
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hey, this is one of those Stephen King books that I could just read over and over, and hey, I haven't said anything about the movie as yet, I've actually seen it about 5 times.
Imagine that a guy who's entire life is built on a fear of an imaginary thing!!
Mafalda Fernandes
This was a gripping roller-coaster of emotions and actions!
I couldn't put the book down, I really need to find out what would happen to the characters.
Paul
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. Has mystery wrapped up in elements of Horror and Even a little romance.
Chris DiLeo
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm cheating: "The Longoliers" is one of four novellas in FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT, but this is my GoodReads blog and I'll do what I want. (Besides, the story is 246 pages in the hardcover edition, and that makes it capable of standing alone.)

I read that collection when I was twelve or thirteen and, along with CUJO, PET SEMATARY, NIGHTMARES AND DREAMSCAPES, and NEEDFUL THINGS, it introduced me to King, hooked me on his work, and—to a far more important degree—hooked me on reading.

That addiction has ne
TraceyL
Mar 16, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm so confused. I don't know what happened in this story. I pulled up the Wikipedia page and read through the plot summary and chain of events. I still don't understand. I just don't get it.
Jamie
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: time-travel, sci-fi
I think I felt almost as unsettled as the characters in this tale full of the unkown with twists and turns. From alternate dimensions, government conspirisies, time travel and childhood nightmares this book is filled with a mystery to solve as to what happened to the rest of the world and can these few survivors ever live a normal life again. I loved the characters. Well, most of them. One had too small a role to get any feel for. I don't even think he got a name in the book. But even the crazie ...more
RedRedtheycallmeRed
3.5 STARS

I remember (barely) watching the cheesy TV movie about this years ago, but I can't really recall anything other than Balki from "Stranger Things" playing a weirdo.

Not my favorite from Stephen King, but still good enough to keep my interest.
Vanessa
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Stephen King stories I've ever read. Totally riveting! Also listened to it while flying... not sure I can say that's recommended for everyone. But I loved it!
Dennis
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I'm only rating 'Langoliers' here (322 pages), which really has been a letdown for me. Especially as this was only my second King, after reading 'Needful Things', which I liked a lot. So expectations were high.

Also included in this edition is 'Das heimliche Fenster, der heimliche Garten (Secret Window, Secret Garden)' which is a totally different matter. That one I liked very much. So I decided to rate it separately, because the two stories are too far apart for me, in terms of personal enjoymen
Merci Pol
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best
With their existence, Langoliers outlined many of zigzag lines full of nothing, straight across my mind, that would under normal circumstances say some exotic words about this phenomenal Kings's creation.
Luna Bookish
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is a very imaginative take on a children's night time scary story come to life mixed with the Bermuda Triangle. It was very interesting to see how King's characters, who were all there by accident, reacted to the situation. I don't want to say too much because I feel like if I said anymore I would ruin it, but I will say that you can read this on it's own or inn the short stoy collection of Four Past Midnight.
Zizeloni
Pretty good. A few characters, one crazy just so to make things even more difficult. Things more or less worked out pretty easily. I liked it, but having read many Stephen king books, there are better than this one.
Sarah Marie
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread, to-review
4.5 stars. I loved rereading this novel because I forgot so much, but I remembered the beginning so well. The beginning is my favorite part of this novella. Review to come.
Conor McHugh
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, just as good as short stories can get. In fact its pretty much a novel. Over 200 pages, yes i think it just about counts as a novel.

Great inventive and suspenseful storyline, amazing characters. I couldnt stop thinking about this story. I even watched the mini series on youtube whilst reading it. Well not at the same time, but you get me, like i read 50 pages, then watched it up to that point.
One of my fave KING stories and looking forward to reading the other short stories in "four past
Steve
Apr 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Langoliers is a good story. I can't put it any other way. I loved the Idea of the time rip being mistaken for the Aurora Borealis. The Langoliers had a lot of good ideas and developed them nicely, keeping the more outlandish ones within the realm of possibility. The plot was smooth (not any jerky transitions) and was very fun to read. It was also intelligent. It's one of those books you can't stop reading, it hooks you and doesn't let go. There was also less profanity that most of Stephen Ki ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This is more of a science fiction/thriller than horror. I enjoyed the ensemble cast, particularly the enigmatic Nick. This story does keep you wondering how things will be resolved. I thought the miniseries was pretty true to the story as well. Really liked the actor they chose to play Nick. He nailed him. I really like to see King try something that isn't his usual genre, as he did with Eyes of a Dragon. I think it was a success. My copy is in Four Past Midnight. Probably won't read the other s ...more
Jack Saxon
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this one! Some say that it doesn't hold up all that well...but I have to say that the creativity in the writing is good enough to overpower any issues the book might have. I wish I could say the same for the quirky TV movie version. Oh well, they can't all be brilliant!
Britt
Tag yourself, I'm the dude that sleeps through the entire book
Tony Laplume
I've read and/or experienced a fair chunk of King over the years. The Langoliers follows the pattern and logic of The Stand, 11/22/63, The Mist, and probably other tales. Clearly there's a fair bit of obsessiveness in the thought pattern ("All work and no play..."). This is a minor variant.

You have the small group of survivors. You have the magical and/or disabled person. You have the crazy person. You have the leader-type-who-doesn't-want-to-be-the-leader type. Anyway. The ones that stick out a
Quirks
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
The Langoliers is a story with many genres. I always find such stories particularly interesting, especially when an urban fantasy novel has scientific elements. It adds another layer, in my opinion, to how believable something is. Also, science fiction is just fun.

This is about a flight on which something strange happens. Almost everyone on the flight disappears except for eleven people. And it's up to these people to figure out what the hell happened. And to deal with all the problems that they
Kevin
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
An idea that kept me interested until near the ending; time travel into an empty world. Since it had an apocalyptic theme, it instantly gets a few stars from me. However, the actual langoliers were a bit silly and I felt like the book fell apart a little once they were introduced. In general, there were a lot of ideas that weren't really delved as much as they could have been, making this book feel like an idea concept that was in testing but not fleshed out completely.

Seems most of the Stephen
♥ Marlene♥
Re read. I am on aSK tour.Have been reading the books I did not read more than two and three times,which means the newer books.. Well not really because this is not a"new" book but have read this one just 2 times perhaps even just once.

Enjoyed this story then and now.I like how it works with the Dark Tower books and it made me think.I even did some research about the colony and the ship of which the people all disappeared.
Enjoyed
Marieke
5 stars!
Four past midnight (Tweeduister) is a collection of two novellas: 'Langoliers' and 'Secret Window, Secret Garden'.
This is my first King book and many more to come! It was a very well written piece. And it kept me on the edge of my seat as I read it almost in one sitting.
Gaby
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of my 'new' Stephen King favourites!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »