Start by marking “Belief without Borders: Inside the Minds of the Spiritual but not Religious” as Want to Read:
Belief without Borders: Inside the Minds of the Spiritual but not Religious

Belief without Borders: Inside the Minds of the Spiritual but not Religious

The last twenty years have seen a dramatic increase in "nones": people who do not claim any religious affiliation. These "nones" now outnumber even the largest Protestant denominations in America. They are not to be confused with secularists, however, for many of them identify themselves as "spiritual but not religious" (SBNR). The response to this dramatic change in ...more
Published January 21st 2014 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Belief without Borders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Belief without Borders

Start your review of Belief without Borders: Inside the Minds of the Spiritual but not Religious
Beth Olson shultz
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book about people who believe in God, but are not members of a local church. A percentage that is growing every year. Reading their stories was sometimes difficult. A lot of people have general assumptions about this group of people. You would be surprised to find out differently.
Dana Reynolds
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
It is a very complicated subject that shows our world is changing. If you are looking for an indication of what the future holds for this group of "SBNR" (Spiritual but not religious) and our society, it won't be found here. No one has THE Crystal Ball. That the SBNRs are turned off by organized religion is very clear. However, they have good reasons for being so turned off, but hold a large number of fallacies too. Yet, in this post-modern paradigm we are living in, reasons, facts, truths are ...more
Fred Kohn
I read this book the totally wrong way. If I had it to do over, I would first read the conclusion, then the appendices, then start at the beginning. Then I would write on a separate piece of paper the definitions of the generational distinctions the author makes (Baby Boomer, Gen-X, etc.) as well as her distinctions between "types" of SBNRs (seekers, immigrants, etc.) If I had this information in front of me to refer back to as I dived into the meat of the book, I would not have been as lost.

The
David
Dr. Mercadantes Belief Without Borders: Inside the Minds of the Spiritual But Not Religious is a wonderful introduction, primarily within the U.S., of a growing movement in the secular world [for the most part Western OECD countries]. The book examines who the SBNR (spiritual but not religious) are and why it is they have found traditional religious structures insufficient to meet their spiritual needs.

This is not an anti-religion diatribe, but a conscientious examination of a growing spiritual
Pollinator
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent book investigating the rise of the "Spiritual But Not Religious" proclaimers in the U.S.
Outlines their beliefs and significance of this movement. Also details the shortfalls of this idealogical
practice and makes a strong claim for religion's place within society. Everyone should read at least the conclusion/summary last chapter
of the book. It's extremely illuminating. I'd give it 5 stars, yet some of the interviewees that she details aren't all that compelling.
Janet
Aug 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion, 2016
Religious surveys are seeing an increase in people who identify as "none" or "spiritual but not religious". Mercadante used qualitative research to understand their beliefs or rather their non-beliefs. I wasn't surprised that the majority of her research participants were white baby boomers. Worth a read if you're interested in sociology/religion.
Chelsea DeVries
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was a well-written book but I was confused about what it was about. It just wasn't for me.
Diane
Sep 08, 2015 marked it as to-read
Möbius
Bill Mcfadden
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Execellent and exhaustive research about SPNRs (Spiritual But not Religious.
Reading all the resaerch material can be tedious but con clusions and implications well worth attending to.
A.L.

• Spirituality: A Very Short Introduction
  • Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End
  • Madame Bovary
  • Wild Mercy: Living the Fierce and Tender Wisdom of the Women Mystics
  • Paradise Lost (Amber Reed Mysteries #6)
  • Comfort: A Journey Through Grief
  • Recipes For A Sacred Life: True Stories and a Few Miracles
  • God Can't: How to Believe in God and Love after Tragedy, Abuse, and Other Evils
  • And The Earth Moved
  • On Trial (Amber Reed Mystery #1.5)
  • Mentorship and Marketplace: A New Direction for Youth Ministry
  • Stop The Beat: A Humorous Romantic Mystery (Amber Reed Mystery Book 5)
  • Past Perfect (Amber Reed Mystery, #4)
  • End Of The Line: Romantic comedy cozy mystery series (Amber Reed Mysteries Book 8)