Start by marking “The Twelfth of Never” as Want to Read:
The Twelfth of Never

The Twelfth of Never

Presley may be smart, but she buckles under pressure – or more specifically, she alphabetizes. In stressful moments her mind grabs words and compulsively sorts the letters, like a frightened guard dog chasing its tail. So it’s no surprise when signs from the universe constantly warn her: stay out of the spotlight.

That’s hard to do when her Elvis-loving mom, the school sec
Published February 15th 2014 by Createspace (first published January 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelfth of Never, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelfth of Never

Indiebrag
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that THE TWELFTH OF NEVER BY Brenda Ortega is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money
Virginia Lee Boylan
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly enjoyable book from start to finish. Authentic-feeling emotions in an all-too-memorable middle-school setting had me right there all the way, and in the not-familiar (to me) family setting, I could see and feel that, too. We get a sweet and clever resolution as we watch Presley grow.
Jenna
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Presley Ann Marr prefers to stay out of the spotlight. She's a bright eighth grader, but being the smart kid rarely translates into being popular, and when Presley feels the pressure, her mind whirls into action . . . alphabetizing. Instead of a quick comeback when the popular kids poke at her, it seems all Presley can do is rearrange the letters of the insult into alphabetical order.

Presley's refuge is her two-year-old nephew, Luke. With Luke, Presley can relax and be calm, but that doesn't mea
Levian
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Presley was smart, but she couldn't handle pressure. the moment she felt the stress, she started alphabetizing. her mind would compulsively sorted out the letters. because of that, she constantly tried to stay out of the spotlight. however, her mom who was crazy over Elvis, was her school secretary. despite how the students teased Presley about her name and Elvis, her mom refused to let anyone interfered with her adoration towards the king. in the meanwhile, Presley's sister, Linda was about to ...more
Lauren Homer
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
There were a few little things that bothered me but overall a really good book. My favorite part was the lesson about all or nothing especially when applied to people. We often think we know everything about someone but no one is all something. I also really identified with the main character. I also tend toward introversion. I also liked that the main character had this thing where she alphabetizes the letters in words because I do something similar. I never realized other people do th
Barb
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Her mom is obsessed with Elvis and works at her school. She feels like she doesn't fit in. She's being dragged kicking and screaming into participating in a school activity she doesn't want to join. And something is up with her older sister, a single mom of a toddler who's struggling with school, work, and parenting.

Presley's got a lot on her mind. When she gets anxious and overwhelmed, she copes by alphabetizing.

This YA novel is good for ages 11 and up. The book is well-written and there's no o
a cup of coffee and a fairytale
i received this book in exchange for an honest review.

this book is a feel good book for teenagers and adults alike. the characters in the book are very likable. well meaning fast paced and beautifully written. i would love to read more books by the author. meanwhile i shall pass this one on to everybody. a must read!
Suad Eromiina
May 29, 2015
Stacey
Mar 08, 2014
Brenda
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Angela Turransky
Annette
Jan 30, 2014
V
Jan 30, 2014
  • Naming (Magic of Lo #1)
  • Against the Fading of the Light (Action of Purpose #3).
  • State Is Out of Date: We Can Do It Better
  • The Marshmallow Hammer Detective Agency: The Mysterious Case of the Golden Egg
  • Obtain: A Key Keeper Novel
  • Baseball and Aliens
  • Timeless Conflict
  • On Blue Days
  • Archibald Zwick and the Eight Towers
  • Anna (The Starseed Series, #1)
  • Dreamlancer: The Tournament of Heroes
  • Isolde 1939
  • The Warrior's Soul (The Year of the Dragon, #2)
  • Into the Ashes
  • Holy Cow
  • The Ruby Pendant (Cleopatra's Legacy, #2)
  • History's Shadow I: Legends Born (Book One: Tahir Edition)
  • Angels and Alchemy: A Mystical Love Story
Like the main character Presley in her debut novel, The Twelfth of Never, Brenda Ortega is a compulsive alphabetizer. She learned how to quiet the volume of it long ago, although – unlike Presley – Brenda’s method of control does not involve Elvis.

Brenda started out writing for newspapers in Seattle, Los Angeles, and Detroit. Since becoming a teacher, she has taught English from middle school to