Start by marking “IT Can Be Dangerous” as Want to Read:
IT Can Be Dangerous

IT Can Be Dangerous

***** Selected as one of the 'Ten to Taste 2014' by crime and thriller site Crime Fiction Lover. *****

Cynthia's had a rough day.

And now she's found Nathan's body.

This could impact negatively on her performance review. Not to mention that the police are bound to suspect her, seeing as how she has no alibi and was cutting code right outside his office when he was murdered.

E
Published December 16th 2013 by PPP Publishing (first published August 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about IT Can Be Dangerous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about IT Can Be Dangerous

Start your review of IT Can Be Dangerous
Dalila.

I received the book through Goodreads First Reads.

This is One of the best murder mystery books I read in years .
The big bonus that is well written and the characters were so real that you almost felt like you were there with them ,locations were amazing and beautiful,the story grabs you from the beginning to the end you never really know what will happen next already looking forward for more Ita Ryan books This is a must read my highly recommendations.
Yannis
I don't review the books I read here in Goodreads but since I won a free copy from Ita's giveaway I suppose I should give an honest review.
At first I was a bit biased. I choose very carefully the books I buy but this is a special occasion. I didn't care that much because it was free. An unkown beginner (?) writer seemed a bad choice. Even the cover didn't seem good enough for me.
BUT
I started reading and I got into the story from the beginning. No boring chapters describing the everyday life of
N.N. Light
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ever had a boss that just made your life a living nightmare? Now imagine you find his dead body and the number one suspect is you. This is the exact premise of "IT Can Be Dangerous" by Ita Ryan. Cynthia is working in the IT department of a British software company when she discovers her boss, Nathan, dead in his office. The worst part? She was right outside his office the whole time working on code. Soon enough, the police are narrowing down the suspects and she is deeply afraid they will arrest ...more
Geraldine Byrne
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I thoroughly enjoyed this debut novel from Ita Ryan. It's a witty, well written murder mystery centred around a London city company, where Irishwoman Cynthia Hegarty works in IT. A rotten boss is compensated for by decent wages and fun co-workers until someone murders said boss, leaving poor Cynthia as the prime suspect.

In best murder mystery tradition and with a nod to the greats like Agatha Christie, Cynthia investigates in an attempt to clear her name.
Filled with intrigue, humour and a dash
Deana
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As an Agatha Christie reader i have always enjoyed a good murder mystery. I bought this after listening to Ita updating us on her progress of this novel on twitter and could not wait to read it.

I was not disappointed.... A must read for everyone and cannot wait for the further adventures of Cynthia :-)
Alice
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway
Disclaimer: a free copy of this book was given to me by the author in exchange of an honest review. Thank you so much.
Also thank you for the dedication I found inside the book.

I was immediately captivated by the plot.
And one of the reasons is because we start the book with this witty and clever Irish woman who discovers her annoying boss' dead body on a Monday night when she worked overtime.
Who killed Nathan Boyle and why? How can she have not noticed anything? Is she now in danger?

Cynthia kn
Kate Garrett
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contrary to the review I wrote for another detective novel last summer, I can no longer say with any conviction that I don't usually read mystery stories - I have a habit these days of picking them up. However, I stand by said review: I like my detectives quirky, usually women, and I'd really rather they were not even detectives.

Which certainly could be one reason why I loved IT Can Be Dangerous so much. Our heroine and super sleuth is C++ programmer Cynthia Hegarty, who concentrates so carefull
Devi Nair
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Check out the complete review at IT Can Be Dangerous > Review

A very annoying and controlling boss, who everyone hates, including Cynthia. And suddenly he is dead and Cynthia is the suspect. Like she did not have enough on her plate already. And also she is the only one in the office when Nathan is found dead. So even she knows she is the most natural suspect. So how can she convince everyone she did not do it?

Ita Ryan has created a nice web of intrigue and suspense around the murder of Nathan an
Magda
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, 5-stars
The book was immensely enjoyable! The first thing that jumped out at me was the possibility of reading the title in two ways, as in 'it' or "IT (Information Technology)' and I thought it was very clever and made me want to read the book even more.

The novel reads smoothly and is a delightful combination of humor and suspense. At the beginning the main character annoyed me a bit but soon she grew on me and I came to like her. Other characters are also likeable, and each of them are their own perso
Mai Ryan
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The hero of 'It Can be Dangerous' is a girl detective / computer programmer caught up in a crime that happened in her office(in one of London's I.T. hubs), right behind her while she was concentrating hard on work. The reader gets little glimpses into the world of programming - not much, just enough to remind us that these are the people making new stuff now, as the heroes of Victorian novels were engineers, the movers and inventors of their day.
This is a crime novel with lots of characters, it
Lauren
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this as a first read in a giveaway by the author.

I found it to be really enjoyable and a lot of laughs until the very end. From the very first page your dying to find out who is the culprit and with Cynthia being completely unaware a murder happened several feet away, you wonder, how didn't she hear or see anything ? I was glued from the first page and was unable to put it down. I loved Cynthia, she was a well put together character. I really enjoyed the book and I hope as others win
Cottageunderhill
This book sucked so bad that by Chapter 4 I just gave up and tossed it out the window. My biggest complaint (among many) is that the main character Cynthia is a die hard mystery reader, loves mysteries, and you would think that if she has read so many mysteries then she would have been smarter in not blundering in the real life murder she is a suspect in... but no. The sheer stupidity of the woman just made me roll my eyes and wish I could throw up the garbage that was written. Perhaps next time ...more
Ita Ryan
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this book, so naturally I think it's wonderful! If you read it I hope you enjoy it.
Anne Derkat
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I won this book from Goodreads.

Loved it. A breezy read, quite humorous and a cracking good story.
Sheetal Dash
This book seems so interesting.
Sara
So I read this as part of a book club, and utterly hated this book.

I don't typically read a lot of straight forward crime scene detective books, mine usually have more paranormal / science fiction / fantasy involved, so maybe that is biasing my opinion. It was a struggle to read this, I absolutely loathed the main character and found her extremely naive and frustrating. For a character who's supposed to be obsessed with detective books, shouldn't the first thing she did as the police fingered h
Al
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-2013
If you look at the title and wonder what IT is and whether there is a typo, IT is Information Technology (computers), not the word it in all caps. I work in IT in my day job, yet kept looking at the title (even after I figured it out) and getting confused again, so I suspect others will make the same mistake.

Cynthia is a programmer in the IT department. After working late one day she discovers Nathan, her boss, was murdered while she was sitting at her desk, just outside his office door. Althoug
Tiffany
I just don't know how to write a review on this.

I just...it was...The main characters drove me nuts! NUTS! The "humorous" emails made me cringe...I mean...why? What purpose did they serve? They just took away from the story and made me start rolling my eyes. The characters were supposed to be adults, but most of them acted like kids in high school.

You find someone murdered within 15 feet of where you have been working all night...and you want to go to work the next day? Really?!? I don't think s
Alex
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this as a First Reads giveaway.

I don't normally read murder mysteries but as the central character is a programmer (both my partner and I are too!) it might be interesting.

And it was. It is reasonably fast paced and definitely a page turner. There are twists and turns but they appear quite naturally and aren't forced or ridiculous.

If you work in IT (not as a manager) there are lots of bits that will give you a good giggle (I laughed out loud around page 10 so that was a good start). I
Lisa Hardy
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully intriguing summer read. Very reminiscent of Marian Keyes and Janet Evanovich. Ms. Ryan made IT work sound very interesting, not to mention dangerous. Hard to put down once you start it!
J