Start by marking “A Web for Everyone: Designing Accessible User Experiences” as Want to Read:
A Web for Everyone: Designing Accessible User Experiences

A Web for Everyone: Designing Accessible User Experiences

If you are in charge of the user experience, development, or strategy for a web site, A Web for Everyone will help you make your site accessible without sacrificing design or innovation. Rooted in universal design principles, this book provides solutions: practical advice and examples of how to create sites that everyone can use.

Published January 15th 2014 by Rosenfeld Media (first published January 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Web for Everyone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Web for Everyone

Start your review of A Web for Everyone: Designing Accessible User Experiences
Tim Kadlec
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book on the topic that I've read that I felt did a good job of presenting accessibility not as a list of bulletpoints to check off, but as a way of *thinking* about how you build your site. Whenever anyone is looking to get started in accessibility, this is where I'm going to point them.
Amanda
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not even halfway through this book, and I'm already sorry I didn't pick it up sooner. I'm really enjoying the way it frames web accessibility. It does so in a non-judgmental way, and it provides extensive detail. As a web developer, this is a handy reference to keep on your desk, and I've already added it to the stack of things that I keep open while I work throughout the day, as well as on personal projects.
Tyrone Mitchell
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm working on an accessibility remediation project and I bought this in advance of the project's kickoff. It added some valuable context to some personas that I didn't think about before, and that is critical. The ideas presented helped me to reframe my thinking about the audiences I'm trying to serve. It's not too technical of a book, but that's fine.
Kaia
I've decided to stop rating books I read for grad school, but this was a very good book. It takes a holistic view of web design, accessibility, and usability.
Brian
Nov 10, 2014 added it
Shelves: design, education, ux
It's no page-turner but it's full of very useful information and resources.
Vasilis
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: accessibility, design
A very good book. It practices what it preaches by following its own recommendations about using clear language and a solid structure. And it works. I like the fact that it’s not code oriented but looks into the different roles in a design team, including management. The book works with a few personas. They are cleverly chosen and work very well to illustrate the different topics. The interviews with different experts work well as well. Should be within reach on every designer’s bookshelf.
Phil
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovingly thorough look at making accessibility part of how we think. Though examples are (naturally) getting a bit dated, this is essential for both technicians and evangelists alike. Here's hoping Sarah and Whitney are working on their second edition. Who is responsible for web accessibility? We all are!
Martin Danko
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has changed the way how I think about websites, apps, etc. in general... usability vs accessibility, must-read for all UX guys, PMs, developers and graphic designers too!
And I love also the technology progress in this regarding during the last decades. We should always think about the accessibility, not just about the nice design, time to shift, and level-up our work :)
sarah semark
Straightforward, friendly, and a surprisingly accessible introduction to what can sometimes feel like a super dry topic. I still feel out of my depth with some of the more technical aspects of accessibility, but I feel I'm better armed to teach myself what I don't know, and to consider accessibility from the outset of a design project.
Arnold Saputra
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bukunya bagus dan relevan banget buat di baca semua PM, Designer, researcher & developer. Accessibility yg lebih baik artinya bisnis lebih lancar. Jgn pikir ini hanya untuk orang yang berkebutuhan khusus saja tapi, ini juga baik untuk semua orang.
Scot
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
What a terrific resource! I love the reasoning and guidance offered in this book. And the authors structured the guidance in such a way that I can point to pages for clear action. Absolutely brilliant.
Gena Thomas
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book to get designers to understand the issues assistive technology can have with web accessibility.
Alexander Debkaliuk
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An essential read on accessibility. Practical, multi-faceted. Great resource for designers and technologists.
Jedi Lin
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The content of this book is excellent. Too pity the layout of its Kindle Edition is quite bad.
Jessica
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5. Excellent book for designers and writers of digital content of all types. It’s encouraging to see the future she calls for just a few years ago is much more mainstream.
Stephen Rynkiewicz
As a web designer you give each use case a name and a backstory. You imagine what users do not only on your website but the rest of the time too. That makes them more interesting cases for your clients to consider. The genius of this book is to suggest personas with typical hearing, vision, cognition and mobility challenges. How typical? I've had only one legally blind co-worker, but it's pretty common for me to see everyone at the conference table staring back behind thick glasses. The ...more
Kimm
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edtech
This book is a valuable resource for web designers, developers and content creators who want to integrate WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) into their work. Stories from disabled web users and industry experts about their experiences with web accessibility bring a strong people focus to the extensive technical content the book provides. There are a few small publishing issues with the Kindle version; broken images and headers appearing at the bottom of a page separated from their ...more
Amy
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Accessibility at the level I want is hard to find, and I still haven't really found it. But this book has so far been the most up to date and definitive for understanding accessibility at many levels (just not the really technical ones). Anyone in the web industry, regardless of how minor a role it is, should read this.
Joseph
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great book about accessibility. Unfortunately it's very UI focussed. For the limited amount of actual controls-on-page UI work I do it didn't suit. I stopped reading for something else from the publisher.
Lynn McCormack
This is a great book for thinking about all users and UDL when designing and developing technology.
Janna Cameron

• Go: A Kidd's Guide to Graphic Design
  • Zen: The Art of Simple Living
  • JavaScript and jQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development
  • No-No Boy
  • Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People That Make Our Clothes
  • Batman, Volume 2: The City of Owls
  • How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »