Start by marking “Tight Spiral (Smith & Carrington #1)” as Want to Read:
Tight Spiral (Smith & Carrington #1)

Tight Spiral

(Smith & Carrington #1)

Four lives converge, and a legend is born...Harry Smith had everything going for him: the first British quarterback in American college football, a star future, and a pretty Texan girl on his arm. But when 'Prince Harry' collides with fate in a near-fatal accident, everything unravels. Paul Smith, Harry's Granddad, has always been supportive. After all, it was his idea to ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 274 pages
Published March 28th 2014 by Matador (first published December 23rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Tight Spiral, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tight Spiral

Start your review of Tight Spiral (Smith & Carrington #1)
Sarah-Jayne Windridge-France
Dear Mr Gill

Thanks for what I found to be a fresh, young, easy read. Initially I thought it was perfect for tweenies (late teens early twenties) but then, taking into consideration the recurrence of the F-word and the numerous sexual encounters - I figure maybe it just made me feel young again? It was fun, fast paced, I appreciated the short, punchy chapters. They suit me, almost as much as my flat cap! I enjoyed it.

As a devout Yorkshire lass, however, I do take umbrage to the reference that
WILLIAM SMTH
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book, I leave enough teachings.
Alison
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
I got this free through Goodreads giveaways!

This book is described as a "sports fiction with romance and suspense." Um, I'm going to have to disagree. There was no suspense.
The romantic interest of the main character seemed shallow and without substance. It was stated that she was smart, but the writing did not convey it. She was just hot and ready.
I'm confused about the football season. I get that it was short, but how short? 5 games? How many teams were in this league? There was more detail
Les Chroniques Aléatoires
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
What to say about this novel except that I devoured it and loved it? Not a lot0 especially that for a topic like american football, I find that nice that it's an European who is the author. Moreover, we see several facets of this sport ignored in France (and which I love!), the whole in a romance powdered with suspense. I think that a lot of people can like this book, including those which know nothing about this sport!

Harry is the golden delicious boy par excellence, the leading man which
Tony Parsons
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harry Smith (British) is the QB for the University of Texas.
His career was cut short when he was in a serious car wreck.
Paul Smith (Harry’s GP) called Harry’s parents: James Smith (Pauls’ son, husband) & Angie Smith (wife/mother). They soon arrived in Austin, TX.
Houston International airport Harry, James, & Paul’s flight was delayed.

Wembley Stadium. New England Patriots vs. New Orleans Saints.
Amy “AC” Carrington (24, Yorkshire Gazette sports reporter, Leeds, England, journalist) ws
Mar 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Tight Spiral tells the story of four people, Harry, a British born football star at the University of Texas, his grandfather, Paul, Ben Shannon, a British citizen living in Texas part of the time, and Amy, a sports reporter for the Leeds hometown paper.

A tragic accident seemingly ends Harry's chances at an NFL career and he and his grandfather return to England for his rehabilitation. Ben wants to be an NFL owner but no one is giving him a chance, so he decides to back door his way in. Returning
Mary
Mar 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: wicked
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Ruthie Taylor
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
"I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads."

As any American Football fan will know - and I do now - a tight spiral is a particular type of throw made by very few talented quarterbacks. This book ensures that you learn a lot about football, but couched in an interesting story about the game being brought to the UK. It combines a bit of intrigue and dubious business practice along with some journalism and romance.

I enjoyed reading it a lot. It is not overly long, so
Karen
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sports-star-hero
Okay, you have to have a certain amount of love and understanding for the game of American football. I do. The story had elements of romance but it was more slanted towards the sport and people involved from QB to local newspaper reporter. It took place in both Texas and the UK. I enjoyed the travel aspect and the social and cultural aspects of the story. It was a very choice book for men who don't mind a football and a story or women who don't mind football because the romance was adorable.
Janet
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it
An enjoyable story of American Football in the UK. Michael Gill did a great job of explaining the football terms and references. It was a quick read, but he didn't skimp on character or story. The hero and heroine were interesting and well drawn, the setting beautifully detailed, and the dialogue seemed appropriate. I would read more from Michael Gill.
*I received my copy from NetGalley.com in exchange for an honest review.
Debra Elliott
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great story and an interesting read, especially if you love American Football. I must admit I know little about the sport, however, the story of Amy & Harry held me captivated right up to the end. As a new author, Michael seems to speak from his heart and you can see traces of his roots by the way he writes. Looking forward to any new books and hoping to see the characters again
Seelingblend
Oscar Diaz
Dec 04, 2018
A.S. McGowan
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grabbed this book with my KU membership. It was a good read and there were several scenes that I really liked. First I must admit I was unsure about a romance novel written by a man. But Michael surprised me and delivered a really good book. I have read other sports romances before and most touch on the subject of the sport being played. However, this one I will say went on and on and on about football. To me it was a bit too much. When football is the topic of conversation on one's honeymoon ...more
Theblackrock
Dec 05, 2018
Nancy Cross
Dec 26, 2018
Aug 19, 2017
Born in Yorkshire, England, Michael was involved in an almost fatal accident when he was 17 years old. After days in a coma, over a year in the hospital, that day changed his life for-ever. Fate, destiny, life's journey are always forefront in his mind.

After years of writing articles and non-fiction, Michael turned to contemporary fiction writing in 2012.

His first book "Tight Spiral" is a

Smith & Carrington (2 books)
  • Double Option (Smith & Carrington, #2)