Start by marking “Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership” as Want to Read:

Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership (One Minute Manager)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,085 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
The co-author of the phenomenal New York Times bestselling classic The One Minute Manager® explores the skills needed to become an effective self leader in this essential work, now updated throughout.

Just as Ken Blanchard’s phenomenal bestselling classic The One Minute Manager gives leaders the three secrets to managing others, so this follow-up book gives people the three
Published May 24th 2005 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager

Ryan Johnson
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great follow up to the One Minute Manager.
Once again, concise, to the point, and full of good info that I didn't have to dig out.

There are two key ideas I took from this book:
I NEED Two of the most powerful words you can use. The book talks about this in two contexts.
Firstly, if you tell someone you NEED them to help you, they are more likely to try.

This is important as it is my responsibility to get the help, guidance, support, direction, feedback that I need by stating "I need X a
Tyler Neyens
Aug 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
The starting point for the leadership journey. You must be able to lead yourself before you can lead others.
Brett Bendickson
Mar 29, 2014 rated it liked it
A very quick few hour read. If you can make it through the contrived after school special you will get a few useful nuggets out if it.
Ezrah
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: You
Recommended to Ezrah by: Thyself
"An Assumed Constraint Is A Belief You Have, Based On Past Experience, That Limits Your Current And Future Experiences(33, Blanchard et al.)"
"Acknowledging the power you have gives you a sense of control over your job and your choices (59, Blanchard et al.)"
"When Your Competence Is Low, You Need Direction; When Your Commitment Is Low, You Need Support (79, Blanchard et al.)"
"When Goals Work Out, It Is Usually Because You Instinctively Take The Initiative To Be A Self Leader And Get What You Nee
B.Cough
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Easily read in a few hours, this book offers 3 guiding principles or "tricks" that can revolutionize a person's perspective and turn them into a skilled self-leader. Told in a narrative, "parable" form, the truths are meant to be absorbed as you follow the main character who is learning them as well.

While the counsel in the book is sound, and the stories help give flesh to the principles, the overall writing and storytelling is really elementary. I saw another reviewer call it "business fiction
Karen Kennedy
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not what I was expecting. It is a parable.
Christopher Fiegel
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Good review on what to do and what to expect
Zbyszek Sokolowski
This time I will stick to GoodReads grading standard. So only three stars. Even though that book makes good reading and I'm glad that I've read it. Book using of example shows how to overcame obstacles when we need go into a new stuff. In this case a main book character has to deal with new task at work which is running project while he hasn't sufficient experience and gets into trouble. He almost fail and wanted to quit his job. Book shows how we create our inner barriers and how to overcame it ...more
Michael
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book and took away several points to apply to my current situation. If you're interested in leadership or enjoy reading books on leadership, I think you'll enjoy as well. It is written in narrative, which may be somewhat of a turn-off. But, the points made easily make up for this potential criticism. The model of self-leadership provided is worth analysis and evaluation. Two dimensions of this model include Supportive Behavior and Directive Behavior, which made a lot of se ...more
Anuj Mag
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Claus Moller once said- "Personal Quality is the basis of all Quality" and which is so true in real world. Achieving true quality in any sphere of life just isn 19t possible unless one imbibes the concept of Personal Quality. This is what "Self Leadership" helps one achieve- Personal Quality. This book is quite well written and in a simple but realistic story, it explains the principles of self leadership. This book is quite a primer on how one takes self initiative and make things happen rather ...more
Emily Leathers
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another business parable. Makes the most sense if you've also read Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership. The One Minute Manager doesn't seem to have been necessary to understand this, and I think this is a big step from the contents of that book and so can't replace it.

The explanations in this book were mostly sub-par for the other books I've read in this series, which was unfortunate. The authors gave fewer 'how do I use this' examples t
Mark
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Modern management babble. Now we will all run through the halls hand-in-hand. We will get promotions, raises, and by next year we will be running the company. Yes, I am known at the office as the cynic.

The self-leadership model is not completely without merit, but it approaches things as if we just buck up and be positive, then everything will be all right. It doesn't take into account that there is more in the world than just a good attitude, and it doesn't fix everything. I suggest you find th
Scott
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
My inner editor must penalize this business fable 1 star for some continuity issues, and another for its style, however the information and wisdom it contains it brings my rating back up to 4 starts.

This builds on the ideas of Situational Leadership in a different context and the overarching fable is quite good at illustrating the different developmental needs we all have in our careers and lives at different stages. I thought this Blanchard book did a better job of explaining what "Enthusiastic
Derek
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
For such a compact book, it packs a principle punch. This is my second book of Ken's in the One Minute Manager series and I am thankful for the ideas the books have sparked, and the advice I've provided on the subject since reading them. I thoroughly enjoy his parable format and can't wait to read more.

This one is about the learning process, with whatever you're undertaking. At various stages, we require a different type of supervision (this means if we supervise others, we'll know how to better
Josh Nelson
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book came at just the right time for me. I moved into a new position months ago, but never really got the direction I needed. We have a culture of "you get what you ask for," but I didn't know how lost I was. I was square in the D2 Disillusioned Learner phase and needed to read about how to ask for help. While this book could be easily summarized, the journey as you read is what makes the information relevant. It probably took less than 3 hours to read and make notes.
I love this method of
Mr. Z
Mar 15, 2009 rated it liked it
These One-Minute books are getting a little redundant, but still, I appreciate the overall theme of the series. It takes minute-to-minute, situational adjustments, in both your leadership approach, and in your understanding of how different people react differently in different situations, to maximize the results you can get from different teams of individuals. Certainly, you can get stronger results from people by taking the time to think about and understand where they are coming from and how ...more
Daniel Irvine
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Written in the business parable format, this book is an easy and quick read. It's full of useful tips for being more successful in your daily work. The book pitches itself directly to managers and leaders, but it is a useful read for anyone with a degree of responsibility or freedom to make decisions within their business life.

At the book's core is a simple model for helping you gain competence at your job when the path to success is not yet clear.

Although it wasn't life-changing for me, I have
Rickey
This has some colorful diagrams that go along with what was taught in Leadership and the One Minute Manager. Somehow, the other parts of this book haven't quite caught my interest enough yet though. Maybe it's because I've read quite a few other books about "self-leadership" that I find more engaging and that I'm still working with.

One, for example, is The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.
Doug
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was interesting that, upon hearing I was reading this book, somebody asked, "So you're taking the manager path, huh?" This book is not about acting in a managerial role, but instead understanding that "we need" self-leadership to accomplish our goals.

While the story can be a bit...cheesy...at times, it certainly helps one understand how to relate some of the concepts to their own personal situations.
Samer Chidiac
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I do enjoy the One Minute Manager series; the book is probably a great companion when you are traveling.

The Style of this non-fiction book written in a fiction story environment would make you get engaged in both the story and how you can apply what you will learn.

Although it's originally published in 1976, I felt that its values can be applied today as they were back in those days.

Highly recommended.

SC
Rebecca Schaft
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Niet zo gemotiveerd? Misschien is het antwoord simpeler dan je denkt. Dit boek geeft inzicht in hoe je voor jezelf kan nagaan aan welk soort leiderschap je behoefte hebt. Zelfleiderschap, maar ook leiderschap van anderen.
Vooral handig voor mensen die niet heel goed zijn in 'de hulpvraag' stellen. Baas in eigen baan.
Karen
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Steve, advertsing executive comes to realize the power of taking responsibility for his situation and not playing the victim. Steve is in danger of losing his job but soon learns power, freedom and autonomy comes from having the right mindset. Have read other books from the "One minute manager..." series that were a LOT better!
Abner Huertas
Un libro interesante sobre tres formas de actuar como un ejecutivo: en el establecimiento de objetivos, dar alagos y reprimendas de forma acertiva tratándo de sacar lo mejor de nuestros colaboradores.

En forma de metáfora, el libro puede leerse en menos de una hora, entretenido; Sin embargo no entrará en la lista de mis favoritos.
steven
Oct 04, 2010 rated it liked it
A generally good book on self-leadership and taking responsibility for one's own success. The lessons are relayed through a story about a struggling account executive and a mysterious magician / self-help guru. You must take the story with a grain of salt, but the message is applicable and interesting.
Cynthia
Nov 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
This is one of those business parable books. It’s a very quick read, with abnormally large print. And one of the characters is a magician. (I couldn’t help but feel I was reading a young adult novel). That said, the story was interesting and the content was good, even though the writing itself was not.
Chris
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a clever little book that teaches some basic management techniques and rules that allow you to become a self-leader, to understand what you need to get the job done and to know how best to get the support you need. It's an easy read, and it's quite entertaining, and the lessons are valuable for today's workplace.
Shiau Long
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The lessons behind the book are really amazing and it shares very complicated insight in being a better manager or team player in an easy read.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has ever felt trapped at work.
Jacqueline
Sep 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all those in leadership
I have read a few leadership books while in school, but this one that was recommended to me recently was hands-on to what is going in my life right now.

Very quick read and I usually take forever to read.
Stan
Apr 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
As the only book in the one minute manager series I have read, it sufficently covers the major points of the cirriculum. I have taken two of the workshop classes and found this to be great supportive and remonstrative material. The story line also tied the major points together rather well.
Jenny Bee
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
a fast read for work. okay concepts but nothing mind blowing or new to me. Definitely would recommend for people just starting to manage/lead people and or people looking to elevate their leadership
  • 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management
  • Quick Team-Building Activities for Busy Managers: 50 Exercises That Get Results in Just 15 Minutes
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • The 22 Non-Negotiable Laws of Wellness: Take Your Health into Your Own Hands to Feel, Think, and Live Better Than You Ev
  • The Science of Love
  • The Essential 55 Workbook
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Focus: Achieving Your Highest Priorities
  • The Zigzag Principle: The Goal Setting Strategy That Will Revolutionize Your Business and Your Life
  • The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: The Four Disciplines at the Heart of Making Any Organization World Class
  • How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization
  • Influence Without Authority
  • Selling You!: A Practical Guide to Achieving the Most by Becoming Your Best
  • One Minute For Yourself (One Minute Manager)
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

K
More about Kenneth H. Blanchard...

One Minute Manager (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The One Minute Manager
  • The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey
  • Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
  • The One Minute Manager Builds High Performing Teams
  • The New One Minute Manager
  • Talking with the One Minute Manager
  • The One Minute Manager Balances Work and Life
  • The One Minute Manager Gets Fit
  • One Minute Manager Salesperson
  • Putting the One Minute Manager to Work: How to Turn the 3 Secrets into Skills

“Empowerment Is Something Someone Gives You. Self Leadership Is What You Do To Make It Work.” 1 likes