Start by marking “Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way” as Want to Read:
Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way

Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  174 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Thanks to the low-carb movement and the updated USDA food pyramid, we all know we should be eating more whole grains (the “good carbs”). But what exactly are whole grains? And how can we make them not only what we should eat, but what we really want to eat? In Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way, bestselling cookbook author Lorna Sass demystifies whole grains with a thorough ...more
Published November 7th 2006 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way

Stephanie
Jan 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This cookbook has wonderful information on the gamut of whole grains, and I'll want to check it out from the library again. But I am a vegetarian and while I sometimes want to find good recipes that contain meat to make for my husband, this book seemed too meat-heavy for me to want to own.
Kara Smith
Apr 26, 2010 rated it liked it
I lost my copy of this book, but thats ok.
There are a lot of different grains out there, I would never have tried if it weren't for this book. Teff, amarynth, polenta, hominy, kasha, were all mysteries to me before this book.

I tried many recipes, and what I liked about them is I could use a different grain if I don't like the one featured, or if you can't find it locally (most stores just don't carry kamut, wheatberries, and spelt). I also liked the authors tip, of cooking a big batch of grain
Rukshana
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
So I was motivated to read this cookbook because I always get stuck staring at the bulk bins in my fave health food stores wondering what the difference is between pearled barley and hulled barley, or why there are so many different wheat berries!

This book does a really good job of dividing the grains into their respective families and discussing the different forms of the same grain. For example, I never understood the difference between steel-cut oats and rolled oats until I read this book! Sa
Nizzy
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty solid resource for those looking to incorporate whole grains into their diets beyond the usual brown rice and rolled oats which most of us are already familiar.

The Whole Grains 101 section is worth seeing even if you aren’t into the recipes. Sass gives a profile on each grain; identifying the various forms (flour, flakes, whole, etc), cooking methods, refrigeration/storage, and compatible foods and flavors. At first, I wondered how much I could trust the cooking methods listed
Robert Beveridge
Jun 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Lorna Sass, Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way (Clarkson Potter, 2006)

Interesting combination of cookbook and whole-foods guide, this opens with a lengthy section describing an imposing number of whole grains and what one can do with them, then gets to the recipes. You've seen most fo the recipes before in other configurations, but unless you're a hardcore foodie, you've probably never thought of making some of the substitutions here. I mean, who even knew a grain called Job's Tears existed? And
AJ
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Considering how meat-centric this book is, I think the target audience would do well to get some extra fiber in their diets by way of the whole grains featured in this book! (Seriously, even some of the pancake recipes call for bacon. Gross.)

I was hoping that this cookbook would give me (a vegan) some ideas for incorporating some more whole grains into my white pasta and white rice centered diet. Although I was turned off by a lot of the flesh-centric dishes, I did get a few good ideas from this
Mar 04, 2008 rated it liked it
I cannot rate this book fully yet, as I tried only two recipes or so while I had it rented from the library, but the author is VERY thorough on her explanations of different grains, where they come from, how to cook them etc. I plan to purchase this cookbook for staple grain recipes. One other thing of note, many recipes appear to have quite long ingredient lists, of things that you wouldn't nec. find in my pantry, and that is a detractor, but the foundation information for each grain would be w ...more
Audra
Apr 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is probably the best healthy cookbook I've ever come across. The author has helpful hints throughout the book to make this style of eating easy to do. The first part explains each of the whole grains she includes, one by one, and gives basic instruction on how to cook, store, and sometimes freeze the different grains. Then come the recipes, and we have enjoyed all the ones we've tried. If it wasn't so darn expensive, I would buy it and mark it up like a textbook!
Becca
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Definitely the best book about grains I've read. Very clear and easy to understand. I might have to purchase this for future reference. I don't think I'll be trying very many of the recipes in it though, which is why I had to give it 4 instead of 5 stars. I actually prefer to eat my grains and vegetables more plainly, with just some salt, so the recipes were all a little too much for my tastes.
Meredith
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Mom has a bag of quinoa that she doesn't know how to use, so grabbed this from the library hoping to find some inspiration. It's got a few quinoa recipes, as well as several unique recipe ideas for other whole grains--I want to try the "wheat berry salad with apple and mint" and the "quinoa cake with crystallized ginger".
Susan Howson
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Pretty good! So far, everything I've made has been delicious, I just wish there were fewer recipes involving meat. It seems a little counterintuitive to be so into the health that whole grains provide but based the majority of your recipes around meat. But, since whole grains are largely ignored in a lot of my cookbooks (criminal!), I'm excited about this book anyway.
Debra
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a great introduction to a variety of grains. A few years ago I would have been lucky to have heard of 10% of these items, but now many are on your grocer's shelves and the other are available at the specialty food markets that have popped up. Much information on the grains themselves and how to cook them and a selection of recipes to use them.
Amy
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks-food
Oops, I think I reviewed the wrong whole grains book first time around!! This is one I will be buying to keep as a reference in the kitchen since I never quite know what to do with whole grains. It gives information about choosing, storing, and cooking them as well as including some interesting-looking recipes.
K. East
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent book on whole grains. First quarter of book gives extensive introduction to various whole grains, how to select them, store them, cook them. Rest of the book offers numerous recipes, divided into common divisions -- soups, main courses, side dishes, breakfast & brunch, and desserts -- that help you incorporate whole grains into your life in a tasty and uncomplicated way.
Elizabeth
Jul 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Most of the recipes were way out of my price range, but the Italian soup with farro (I used wheat berries), cannellini, and kale made the whole book worth reading. Also, the author provides instructions for cooking each specific grain, which I found especially helpful.
Lindsay
Nov 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2009
Interesting facts on grains and some recipes I would really like to try! (Others, not so much). Spelt chocolate chip cookies so there is finally something to feed my gluten-free friend, and beef and barley stew...yum!
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
good primer on whole grains. i particularly like the charts for cooking times.
Sherri
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
This has turned us into farro fans!
Michael
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
A fantastic book, loaded with everything you need to know about grains. The recipes are all delicious!! Definitely a go-to cookbook for me.
Michelle
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous research and recipes!
Sara
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Lots of great recipes using all sorts of whole grains!
Sarah Zimmerman
Mar 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-cookbooks
Tells you about different kinds of grains and how to cook, store and buy them. Also has some great recipes. Quinoa (KEEN-wa) is my favorite grain, very good for you too!
Susan
Feb 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent resource for cooking whole grains, including lots of helpful cooking methods & times, plus charts that list possible variations of a grain (for example: corn - popcorn, grits, hominy, etc.)
Millicent
Dec 09, 2011 rated it liked it
I wish there were more vegetarian recipes...there were quite few for a book about grains.
Shawna
Aug 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Wondering about different whole grains and ways to cook them? This is your book. Great section on each grain and the "best" preparation methods.
Elizabeth
Dec 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Skimmed this. Lots of interesting info and some recipes that look good. Maybe one I'd like to own.
Coco_Chanel
Yummy and good for you.
Sue Jordan
Jun 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • What's a Cook to Do?: An Illustrated Guide to 484 Essential Tips, Techniques, and Tricks
  • Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking
  • Cooking the Whole Foods Way: Your Complete, Everyday Guide to Healthy, Delicious Eating with 500 Recipes, Menus, Meal Planning, Techniques, Buying
  • Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking
  • Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites
  • Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes
  • Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way
  • The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook: 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings, and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice Cooker
  • Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook
  • How Baking Works: Exploring the Fundamentals of Baking Science
  • All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • The Ayurvedic Cookbook
Lorna Sass is fondly known as "the Queen of Pressure Cooking." She is also a widely published food writer and an award-winning cookbook author. Check out her new blog: www.pressurecookingwithlornasass.word...

Lorna became interested in pressure cooking during the mid-eighties when most Americans had either never heard of this magical appliance or were afraid of it! Her COOKING UNDER PRESSURE, publi
More about Lorna J. Sass...