Start by marking “Scandalous Wager (Whitechapel Wagers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Scandalous Wager (Whitechapel Wagers, #1)

Scandalous Wager

(Whitechapel Wagers #1)

Elizabeth Ainsworth has decided she will never marry. Years spent on the shelf have taught her plain looks and a distinct lack of ladylike talents won't win a proposal from any of the eligible young constables or inspectors her Detective Chief Inspector father invites to their home. Most of them are too busy staring at her younger, prettier sister anyway. And Lizzy is cont ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 90 pages
Published January 23rd 2014 by Entice Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Scandalous Wager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scandalous Wager

Start your review of Scandalous Wager (Whitechapel Wagers, #1)
Sara Reads (mostly) LOTS of Romance
K so i really liked this, the writing, plot, chemistry, etc. But I gotta agree with Missy here. It was a big tease which sucked, and the Jack the ripper thing was unnecessary. Lol three times caught w/out even getting any D. Smh. ...more
Amanda
3.5 stars!

I almost gave up on Christy Carlyle after attempting to read another one of her books and failing to get past the first few chapters; I’m so glad I didn’t.

While Scandalous Wager was nothing groundbreaking or extraordinary, it was quite the enjoyable read. The plot was fairly straightforward: the heroine seeks out the hero to help her engage in ‘carnal relations’ as she has no plans to marry, but still longs to know passion. Of course unbeknownst to her, the hero is already in love with
Missy
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, novella
This book was a tease! Argh! The two main characters are kissing and about to get it on when they get interrupted, not once but thrice! Then her family approves of them getting married and that's it! There's also mention a serial killer on the loose (Jack the Ripper, I believe) but there's no full investigation of it since this novella was only 90 pages. What's the point of even writing this?
Sandra R
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable novella set in Whitechapel during the Ripper murders. Lots of slow burn romance scenes that were really well written, with an interesting back story. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Jane Hunt
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-reviewed
Scandalous Wager by Christy Carlyle

Jane Hunt Writer First Steps

Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Google+

The first novella in the Whitechapel Wagers Series Scandalous Wager is set in Victorian London at the height of the 'Ripper' atrocities. The characters in this fast paced story make an instant impact.

Elizabeth (Lizzy) is an intelligent headstrong heroine who is tired of her virginity and with strong reservations about marriage even if it was likely she wants to experience the passion of carnal love.

Ian the sexy diligent Metr
Elizabeth Bennet
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was short and fun. I loved both Elizabeth Ainsworth and Ian Reed. I thought they suited each other well. I just wish we could have spent more time with them. There is an interesting twist in this read that added an extra element of suspense and excitement but due to the length we split time with both the couple falling in love and the murders taking place by "The Ripper."

Believe it's not enough time and so the murderer is still at large by the end of the book that no doubt will have to run
Collette Cameron
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Scandalous Wager –An Absolute Winner!

I inhaled this delightful historical read in forty-five minutes!

Set in the Victorian era in London’s dangerous East End, two unlikely lovers are willing to risk it all.

Elizabeth, Lizzy, Ainsworth, is a forward thinking, independent young woman who wants one night of passion to carry her through a life of spinsterhood. Ian Reed is the detective she’s decided will make the perfect partner for her excursion into carnal delights.

Only Ian isn’t interested in Li
Faye Lawson
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In spite of the headlines, there was something good to be found in Whitechapel...

To Elizabeth Ainsworthy, that good was Inspector Ian Reed of Scotland Yard! Lizzie was a volunteer teacher of the unfortunate and underprivileged in Whitechapel, the favored hunting ground of Jack the Ripper, whom Ian was assigned to apprehend by her father Chief Inspector Ainsworthy. The second she clapped eyes on Ian, she had to have him and thinking she was doomed to being a spinster set out to proposition him bu
Angela
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The hero being a detective and the Ripper setting drew me to this book. I loved Elizabeth's determination of what she wants and her gumption to go out and get it. Her charity work is a little point of contention between her and Ian but only because he is afraid for her safety. Ian is strong and sexy and wants to protect her. Their "courtship" is interrupted several times but it all works out to a HEA. This is a novella and first in the Whitechapel series. Looking forward to the next story.
Diane Peterson
This very short novella was interesting, but lacking in any character development. Also the conflicts in the story were extremely easily resolved without any real action. I understand that it was just a novella, but something of significance needs to happen. I read it and it kept my interest, but this is why I don't really like novellas.
Amanda
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Most definitely a novella, this book skimmed the surface of what could have been. I liked the characters, though I was slightly distracted by the names and their similarities to the show, Ripper Street (which I adore). I picked this up for free from Amazon to try out a new author, though I'm not sure it sparked enough to make me try a full length novel.
Patricia Wissore
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Only complaint was it was too short and ended when I was wanting more! Again this write comes through with a strong woman who knows what she wants and isn't afraid to step out and grab life with both hands. Loved the story and the hero/heroine were awesome!
Anne
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, 2019
3.5

Romance novellas can be incredibly tricky to pull off, and I feel like if another writer had been behind this one my rating may have been lower but Christy Caryle completely charmed me with her writing and these two characters.

The brief (90 pages) story follows Lizzy Ainsworth, the daughter of a detective who believes she won't ever marry but refuses to resign herself to a life without passion. She propositions Ian Reed, a detective working under her father. Ian, who secretly hoped to court L
Lori
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Scandalous Fun!

Scandalous Wager by Christy Carlisle is a quick paced tale of humor and intrigue from start to finish. Lizzy and Ian are both serious, yet charmingly funny. I was left wanting more...
Ella Foisy
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Only my opinion

Too short. What happened to Jack the ripper? Pretty well written, spelling and punctuation good. Dialogue ok. Feelings conveyed well.

Debbie Lucas
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked it very much.
Kazia Gemmill
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Decent story somewhat ruined by an abrupt and ...unconsummated ending.
Rileysfire
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fourr stars

The only reason I gave this four instead of five was it was tiloo short. It felt incomplete. It was disappointing.
Margaret Taylor
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Only

3 stars I'm afraid as I found it not much of a story. It was a normal type love story nothing exciting at all.
Sandi
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Scandalous Wager

Good short story. Over a little too quickly, but enjoyable. I would have wished for a little more depth and a bit more of an ending.
Lydia Andres
There's not a lot of room in a novella this short to explore character growth, but I thought it was great how the author made a point of showing Ian and Lizzy talking about marriage and their expectations. You know, in the two seconds they were able to keep their hands off each other!
Tin
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Lizzy Ainsworth is on a mission in Whitechapel -- she is seeking out Detective Inspector Ian Reed, and she intends to have her one night of passion before relegating herself to spinsterhood.

It's interesting that Christy Carlyle chose Whitechapel as the background for her romantic novellas. What's more interesting is that Carlyle decided to set it in Whitechapel, during Jack the Ripper's Reign of Terror. Carlyle has a talent for capturing the essence (and menace) of Whitechapel.

...Fog and smoke
Anna
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! I love detective stories and I love historical romances --especially those having to do with England. Lizzy, a twenty-four year old soon-to be spinster has decided that if she must be a spinster, she will be one with a past of at least one passionate romantic interlude.

She has fallen for the very handsome, up and coming detective on her father's squad, Ian Reed. Ian needs to prove something to his family- that he can make something of his life. He is fast tracking his career and ma
Nicole Laverdure
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful passionate love story!
I have just spent two hours reading a romantic and sensual historical romance set in London 1888. I really enjoyed Christy Carlyle's charming novella, SCANDALOUS WAGER, with her lovable characters Elizabeth and Ian. Lizzy only wants passion in her life and she wants to share it with Ian, the man she always loved. She is bold and outspoken, so one night she shows up at his door to offer herself to him! But, Ian is a detective inspector, working for her father the D
Lily Maxton
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. This was one of the best novellas I've read in a while. It jumps immediately into the action, with the plain, suffragette-minded Lizzy showing up at Detective Inspector Ian Reed's door to offer herself to him. They know each other from Ian's (who works for Lizzy's father) occasional visits to her family's house, though Lizzy thinks he must be attracted to her more sought-after sister. The author does a great job of giving us just enough back story to show their connection before conti ...more
Meghan Edwards
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this read, my only complaint was finding it too short.

I have to admit, I have a deep bias for this heroine. She is plain-looking, highly intelligent, bluestocking, and teaches children, being raised by a police father. She even has the prettier younger sister. A near perfect replica of myself (all she needed was a cat!).
Laura Businelle
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Good story line but it left you in the middle of an unsolved mystery.

Ends in the middle of an unsolved mystery. There needs to be a follow-up story to continue with solving the murders.
Sally Hannoush
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
This story is an easy one-sitting read and was good for the number of pages it contained. I think this could have been a greater read as a full length novel and develop the characters more so we could "watch" the attraction grow. There is also a great mystery there.
Alina Field
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I’m not keen on the Victorian era (hypocritical morality and too many petticoats) but I enjoyed Scandalous Wager by Christy Carlyle which takes place around the time when Jack the Ripper was active. This is a short, sensuous story with a few interesting twists.
Bebe Four
May 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews
The characters were somewhat interesting and the story wasn't terrible, but it was much too short to have been executed with any finesse.

• A Lady By Chance (House of Haverstock, #1)
  • Belle of the Ball (Desperate and Daring, #2)
  • The Earl's Inconvenient Wife (Marriage By Scandal, #1)
  • Her Sudden Groom (The Grooms, #1)
  • How to Catch a Wild Viscount
  • Too Wicked to Kiss (Gothic Love Stories #1)
  • The Viscount's Runaway Bride (Marriage by Bargain Book 1)
  • In the Garden of Temptation (Garden, #1)
  • Loving the Marquess (Landing a Lord, #1)
  • Engaging The Enemy (The Wild Randalls, #1)
  • The Duke's Mistress (Regency Unlaced, #1)
  • The Portrait of Lady Wycliff (The Lords of Eton Book 1)
  • To Catch A Duke (Tales From Seldon Park, #1)
  • The Wicked Earls Club  (Wicked Earls' Club, #0.5)
  • Fate Plays Dangerous Games: Regency Romance (Mornington Park Book 1)
  • An Affair in Winter (Seasons, #1)
  • Rogue's Honor (The Saint of Seven Dials) (Volume 1)
  • Windmera-Desperation
Fueled by Pacific Northwest coffee and inspired by multiple viewings of every British costume drama she can get her hands on, USA Today bestselling author Christy Carlyle writes sensual historical romance set in the Victorian era. She loves heroes who struggle against all odds and heroines who are ahead of their time. A former teacher with a degree in history, she finds there's nothing better than ...more

Whitechapel Wagers (3 books)
  • Wanton Wager (Whitechapel Wagers, #2)
  • Reckless Wager (Whitechapel Wagers, #3)