Start by marking “The Bookshop Book” as Want to Read:
The Bookshop Book

The Bookshop Book

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  1,468 Ratings  ·  333 Reviews
Every bookshop has a story.

We’re not talking about rooms that are just full of books. We’re talking about bookshops in barns, disused factories, converted churches and underground car parks. Bookshops on boats, on buses, and in old run-down train stations. Fold-out bookshops, undercover bookshops, this-is-the-best-place-I’ve-ever-been-to-bookshops.

Meet Sarah and her Book B
Published October 2nd 2014 by Constable & Robinson

To ask other readers questions about The Bookshop Book, please sign up.
Jocelyn You might like these other bookshop books:
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore - Robin Sloane
The Storied Life of A J Firky - Gabrielle Zevin

Books about…more
You might like these other bookshop books:
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore - Robin Sloane
The Storied Life of A J Firky - Gabrielle Zevin

Books about libraries:
The Night Bookmobile - Audrey Niffinegger
The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco(less)

Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Ahh, that was satisfying!
My love for books and bookstores grew at least tenfold, and now I want to explore them all! I think this book will now become my bookstore bucket list. I will work on it ;)
Bookdragon Sean
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bookworms and those that loiter in bookshops for hours at a time
"This book is a love letter to all bookshops around the world"

Jen Campbell is living the dream. She has, essentially, travelled the world for the sole purpose of visiting bookshops.

Now doesn’t that sound like fun?

What a wonderful trip that must have been.

“All bookshops are full of stories, and stories want to be heard”

Indeed, they most certainly do! In the process of her travels she has met quirky writers and wacky bookshop owners. She recounts some of the exciting, and sometimes bi
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bookshop and Book Lovers, Reading about books!
Squee! A book about books and bookshops, and bookshop owners, and books and bookshops, and bookshops, and bookshops. Freaking fantabulous! (Yes, I made up a new word).

And written by Jen Campbell, she who wrote Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops which is hilarious!

I absolutely had a blast reading this book, my dear husband was worried as I talked of packing a small bag and starting my tour of the six continents covered in this book on a pilgrimage to visit every single one mentioned (and bu
Michael
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is no secret that in recent times with the advent of the internet that the humble "independent bookstore" has been under attack like never before. Some have even prophesied that bookstores in years to come will disappear from the landscape all together. If you ever needed a reason as to why we as book lovers should never ever let this happen then this majestic love story to our bookish Mecca's is the perfect start.

Every bookstore has it's own unique story to tell and through each page the aut
Ammara Abid
dragon-tamers
dream-catchers
fact-finders
& safe places.
(this book is for those who know this to be true) "

The bookshop book is absolute love ♡
A book about books, about bookshops, about facts on books and cherry on the top, authors talk about books.
This one is for all the bibliophiles & bibliomaniacs.
"Because whether we're in the middle of the desert or in the heart of a city, or the top of a mountain or on an underground tr
Paul
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2015
I love bookshops.

There, I have said it. My secret is out.

To while away part of an afternoon in an bookshop looking at the shelves, seeing the shiny new books and finding a new one by a favourite author is just perfect. And these unassuming shops offer a whole series of worlds to explore and discover, all just from the printed page.

Jen Campbell is a complete book addict, and in this delightful little book she takes you from bookshop to bookshop across the UK, Europe and the world. Almost of them
Rebecca Foster
An essential bibliophile’s handbook. Wherever you plan to travel, pack your Rough Guide for info, your DK guide for photos, and this book to direct you to the nearest bookshops – and entertain you on your journey with author and bookseller interviews, plus plenty of bookish trivia. The book is definitely Eurocentric (and especially UK-focused – this section is nearly half the text), but Campbell is still careful to spend time on all six continuously inhabited continents. So whether you’re headed ...more
Susan
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is literally packed with anecdotes, interviews and stories about readers love affair with bookshops. Although much of the book (approximately half) deals with the UK, this is also a worldwide tour – from Africa, South America, Australasia, Asia, there are countless examples of how the books hop is flourishing. There are Camel Library Services for nomadic communities, bookshops in barns, stations, piers and on board boats. There are even books about bookshops, such as “The Bookshop that ...more
Shahirah Loqman
A great wonderful book about bookstores around the world. I especially loved the ones in London/United Kingdom!
Lisa
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-bookstores
The Bookshop Book is a tour of bookstores around the world. The author chats with authors and bookstore owners and includes pages of interesting facts about various bookstores. There are also some color photos of very cool bookstores.

I loved this book for the first 100 pages or so but the more I read, the less I enjoyed. As she leaves England and Europe, the author is less personally involved with the shops she details. The bookstore descriptions read in some cases as if they came from the store
Rikke
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Perhaps that is the best way to say it: printed books are magical, and real bookshops keep that magic alive.

A wonderful book about bookshops, booksellers, readers and authors. It made me want to travel the world, one bookstore at a time. From the obscure camel caravans – camels carrying books across the desert – to an actual floating bookstore, this book is filled with hidden treasures and wonderful bookish things.

Max Nemtsov
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-books
Это идеальная книжка, которая дает силу и не дает думать, что мы одиноки во вселенной. 300 независимых книжных магазинов и люди, которые их создали, описанные Джен Кэмбл в разных форматах — от интервью до личных впечатлений, от кратких исторических очерков до анекдотов и отдельных фактоидов, — это и есть наша вселенная, наш прайд, наши братья по разуму, где бы они ни были. Они похожи на нас, они вообще такие же, как мы, у нас даже шутки одинаковые и во многом такие же пути к книгам и отношение к ...more
Patti's Book Nook
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just love Jen Campbell:-) I had to purchase this nonfiction through the Book Depository website since it's only available in the UK. This beautiful and fun book is a more international version of my beloved My Bookstore-Writers Celebrate Their Favorite Places to Browse, Read, and Shop (edited by Ronald Rice).

Books about books are largely informational, and thus hard to give a star rating. The only questions I ask myself are: Did it instill a curiosity about the places listed? Were the anecdot
Manchester Military History Society (MMHS)
If you ever dreamed of opening a bookshop - here's your handbook!

I think we all love independent book stores, but without our support they will die out. This book collates stories that underline why these quirky shops can never be replaced by a computer algorithm.

Jen Campbell travels the length and breadth of the UK and further afield to bring you great tales of people behind these shops, their lives, loves and even their pets!

An absolutely enchanting book.
Peter
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful book, smiled nearly all the way to the end. Having been born in London and then moving to Edinburgh I have visited many of the shops here, the memories came flooding back. Now for a large format full colour edition with photographs of them all in detail. ahhhhhhh. This is required reading for all bibliophiles.....So that's EVERYONE on Goodreads then?
Sam
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, read-own
I wish this book didn't have to end. I love Jen's Youtube channel and as I was reading this book, I could hear her telling me all about these bookshops. The bookish facts, author interviews, and photos really added to the already enjoyable snippets of bookshops all over the world. If you love books or just love to read in general, I would definitely recommend picking this up.
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
brthebookshopbook
Finished reading: March 27th 2016
Rating 4qqq

“Because whether we're in the middle of the desert or in the heart of a city, or the top of a mountain or on an underground train: having good stories to keep us company means the whole world.”

(view spoiler)
Shelly
This book to me is a full of love stories, a travel guide book, fairy-tale and magic book. It has so many different aspects but in its main, to quote the book.
“It is like sitting down with the bookshop owners, with tea, and listening to their stories”
With tales from 300 hundred bookshops across six different countries.
A few of my favorites, Scarthin Books in Peak District has “The Utterly Unfair Tall Father Book Prize” where if your father’s head touches a beam you can claim £3 worth book credi
Siddharth Chakravarthy
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Describing this book as Amazing and Phenomenal would be a mere understatement.

But however, I would like to share my opinions about this book now.
This isn't a proper Review but it's actually about the various aspects of the book which impressed me.

So If you are looking for a proper,Professional, Well-written Review of this book, then better don't read this.

What it is about: This Book is the A-Z of Bookshop and all other aspects of it.

Time Spent to Read: 20 days (Although, not continuous)

W
Noa
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Book lovers
Recommended to Noa by: Mercy's bookish musings channel
What a beautiful non-fiction book. This was a new kind of trip through books for me. And what a bookish trip!

Jen Campbell has collected in just a few hundred pages the stories of lots of bookshops, booksellers and writers of all continents and none of them could feel at any moment boring. I wanted to read the book slowly, taste it like a book gourmet, and I never lost my excitement. Reading some pages every night made going to bed very special.

Apart from the interesting contents, the way Jen wri
Maud
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stand-alone
I really enjoyed this book but I did not care for all the author stories. I would rather have read about even more bookshops, especially more that are in other areas than the EU and USA. My last point of critique is the placement of the photos: it makes no sense. Why show pictures of bookshops before you have talked about them? I would have liked it more to see it spread out in a more logical way.
Brittany (UnderTheRadarBooks)
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, 2015
I adored every second of this! Now I will spend the rest of my life trying to visit all of these magnificent places. Is there anything more magical than wandering into a new bookshop?
Book Addict Shaun
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
The Bookshop Book is a love letter to bookshops all around the world. Well, it's also a love letter to bibliophiles around the world too. Prepare to lose yourself in this book as you read about some of the most wonderful and beautiful bookshops in the world. The media is constantly focused on the closures of libraries and independent bookshops, and rightly so, it's a travesty us book lovers wish we could prevent but it's not all that often a book comes along celebrating books and the places they ...more
Diane Barnes
Because I would love to go to all these places, but this may be the closest I get to most of them. Fun to browse thru this book.
Arun Divakar
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
To a reader, an island amidst all the chaos of daily life is a bookshop. My hometown has but a few bookshops which has helped me nurture my interest for reading to a good extent. However, contrary to most readers my love for reading has been given wings by the internet. It was only after I was introduced to Goodreads and to Amazon that a lot of books which I had no clue about. Bookshops still continue to hold a charm for me but I am not someone who has been smitten with a bookshop (at least in m ...more
Akylina
This book is an ode to bookshops and bibliophiles all around the world. Jen Campbell has conducted a spectacular research, travelling around the most notable bookshops and meeting all kinds of different people who are all connected through their passion for books and reading. She has discovered bookshops and bibliophiles in some parts of the world where one would have never thought they would exist.

The book sets off with a brief but informative history of books and then it proceeds with an arra
Suad Shamma
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2018
I love the idea behind this book, and although I didn't know whether I would enjoy reading so much, I was pleasantly surprised.

The book is divided into six continents and Jen Campbell goes on an expedition to many locations in search for bookstores. You will read about some of the strangest bookshops, but also some of the more well-known chains. You will discover hidden gems, and you will really just want to get up, pack a bag and travel to all those destinations. It was such a fun and enjoyabl
Kim
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, kindle, net-galley
What a great read for a dedicated book worm! Full of interview, reviews of the fantastic bookshops dotted about the globe- use this as your number one travel guide if you can't resist a bookshop.

I would love to see at least some of these bookshops now and spend many happy hours looking through their bookshelves and meeting the wonderful people who work there!

Many thanks to the publisher and Net Galley for a copy of this book- I really feel like I have travelled through the collection of stores a
Oda Renate
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Great book about bookshops.
So fun, and interesting.
Madhulika Liddle
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jen Campbell ends The Bookshop Book with these words about book shops: "These places are time machines, spaceships, story-makers, secret-keepers. They are dragon-tamers, dream-catchers, fact-finders and safe places. They are full of infinite possibilities, and tales worth taking home."

That is the philosophy behind this book, too: it is a book about these fascinating, wonderful places called bookshops. Not bookshops in general, but interesting, unique, unusual, or just plain so-historical-they-ta
Around the Year i...: The Bookshop Book, by Jen Campbell 4 18 Jan 01, 2017 10:47AM
Bookshops where are they? 2 10 Jun 20, 2016 02:08AM
Where Would you go? 1 13 Oct 03, 2014 08:24AM
  • The Library Book
  • My Bookstore: Writers Celebrate Their Favorite Places to Browse, Read, and Shop
  • I Murdered My Library
  • The Unknown Unknown: Bookshops and the Delight of Not Getting What You Wanted
  • At Home with Books: How Booklovers Live with and Care for Their Libraries
  • Books Do Furnish a Room
  • Sorted Books
  • Among the Gently Mad: Strategies and Perspectives for the Book Hunter in the 21st Century
  • The Smithsonian Book of Books
  • The Library: A World History
  • Howards End is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home
  • The Shelf: From LEQ to LES: Adventures in Extreme Reading
  • Shelf Life: Fantastic Stories Celebrating Bookstores
Jen Campbell is an award winning poet and short story writer. Her debut short story collection, 'The Beginning of the World in the Middle of the Night,' is published by Two Roads (November 2017) and her first children's book 'Franklin's Flying Bookshop' is published by Thames & Hudson (September 2017).

Jen is also the author of the Sunday Times bestselling Weird Things Customers Say in Booksho
More about Jen Campbell
dragon-tamers
dream-catchers
fact-finders
& safe places.

(this book is for those who know this to be true)”
303 likes
“You see, bookshops are dreams built of wood and paper. They are time travel and escape and knowledge and power. They are, simply put, the best of places.” 41 likes