Start by marking “Überträger (Star Trek: Double Helix #2)” as Want to Read:
Überträger (Star Trek: Double Helix #2)

Überträger

(Star Trek: Double Helix #2)

Wie die verdrehten Stränge mutierter Chromosomen erstreckt sich eine perfide Verschwörung fremder Mächte durch den gesamten Alpha-Quadranten - umspannt zahlreiche Jahre der Sternenflottengeschichte. Auf Terok Nor - die cardassianische Raumstation, die eines Tages als Deep Space Nine bekannt sein wird - hat sich eine ansteckende Krankheit ausgebreitet, die sowohl die verskl ...more
Published 2012 by Cross Cult (first published June 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Überträger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Überträger

Start your review of Überträger (Star Trek: Double Helix #2)
Josiah
Plot: B-
Writing: C-
Vocabulary: C
Level: Easy
Rating: PG13 (subterfuge, extreme suffering leading to death, genocide, family dysfunction, terrorism, occupation & resistance)
Worldview: Whatever you choose is ok so long as you don't hurt other people.

The mysterious General has implemented Stage 2 of his plan, which is evidently to test the emergency-responding resources of the Federation, destabilize racial reconciliation, and coldly cause as much death as possible in the Alpha Quadrant.

On Terek Nor
Joshua Palmatier
The writing in this is better than book 1, Infection, but the plot itself wasn't as clear. Or rather, the actual elements of the plot were clear, but I didn't follow how the plague was transmitted and in particular, how the Ferengi figured into the whole mess. I don't think the writers knew as much about viruses and infections and prions and how they work and interact with each other, and it showed in the writing. The fourth prion that was somehow produced by the Ferengi version of the disease s ...more
Craig
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
I was surprised that I liked this story since it centered around Dr. Pulaski who got a bad rap on TNG for being the "replacement doctor." You get to see the moment of transition that we never saw on the show and an idea of where she went after serving on the Enterprise. This had a great story and didn't end so suddenly like Infection did. I thought seeing some of the characters from DS9 during this time period was interesting with great emphasis on Rom joining Quark at the bar. Overall, it had s ...more
David
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Pretty decent for a novel based around all of my least favorite characters in the Star Trek Lit-Universe. Almost gave up on this one about 20 pages into it as it features three of my very least favorite Trek characters, Dr. Polanski, Gul Dukat, and Kira Nerys. But gave it a second chance and before I knew it I was halfway through the book."
Mike McDevitt
Pulaski’s ex-husband calls for help on Occupied Terok Nor when an upgraded interspecies virus strikes again. Ferengi ear hygiene plays a bigger role than it probably should. Ogawa came along. And Kira exists.
Rachel
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Not bad. The mystery continues.
Ben
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read and addition to the Star Trek franchise. Definitely recommend for anyone interested in Star Trek, Sci-fi, or just biology in general.
Alex
A wonderful tale a few years before Terok Nor became DS9. It is a Katherine Pulaski adventure with supporting characters Gul Dukat and Quark, Rom, Nog and Old, Nerys.
Yvette
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not a Dr. Pulaski fan but this was good. It helps that I am a TNG/DS9 fan. I love when they get together...it just works. A fast paced medical drama.
Sean Randall
"we can assume that this plague is related to the one we dealt with on Archaria III, It almost seems like a second trial of an experiment. the stakes were escalated. There were three species involved. There was a new method of delivery." Beverly Crusher.

So, here we are again, people dying all over the place. This time it's Bajorans and Cardassians, perhaps this plague being one of the few things they've ever had in common.

The book is set mostly on Deep space nine, though before it was abandoned
David Palazzolo
Sep 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the second book of Double Helix story arc, we catch a glimpse of life on Deep Space Nine as it was still under the Cardassian occupation and called Terok Nor. We also see Dr Katherine Pulaski's last days on the USS. Enterprise, which was a nice surprise.

It's been more than a year since book one and Dr Beverly Crusher is headed back to the Enterprise after her time at Starfleet Medical HQ. A plague has broken out on Bajor, one that has jumped the species barrier between Bajoran and Cardsssian
Jimyanni
Dec 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Good story, well-written, with good pacing and good characterizations. One thing it does surprisingly well is that, being set in the early days of the Next Generation series, we see several characters (Gul Dukat, Kira Nerys, Quark, Rom, Nog, & Odo) at earlier points in their lives than we have in the Deep Space Nine series; it would have been very easy to either have those characters seem essentially the same as they were at later points in their lives (with Dukat, at least, there doesn't seem t ...more
Paul
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
PLOT OR PREMISE:
This is the second of six books dealing with biological terrorism by an unknown foe. This installment takes place at the end of Kate Pulaski's tenure on the Enterprise and before DS9 begins, and Pulaski goes to Bajor to help her ex-husband solve a plague that is infecting the Bajorans and the Cardassians during the occupation. The Cardassians believe it is the Bajorans; the Bajorans think it is the Cardassians. Again, however, the plague has an 100% fatality rate.
WHAT I LIKED:
I
Tina
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really well done. It was focused largely on Dr. Pulaski, a character I never really warmed up to on TNG, but I liked her here a lot. I also liked the interactions between her and Dr. Crusher. The story on Terok Nor was interesting, if a little too fast paced to be believable (but isn't scifi medicine always like that?). The science towards the end of the book, with the virus, doesn't really hold up to actual science, but it was still a good story.

I was expecting more drama, but thi
Angela
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off this is not a TNG book, its DS9. Terak Nor has a plague that kills Bajorans and Cardassians. Dr Pulaski goes there to cure it. A very good story that is well written, and you really want to know what happens next. Everybody isn't quite how you expect them to be, Rom and Nog are newly arrived and not used to things. Gul Dukat is barely keeping life orderly, and Kira is running about the resistance. Well worth reading, don't be put off that its the 2nd book in the series, you don't need ...more
Amy
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't be fooled, Dr. Pulaski is the main character here. Kira has a subplot, as does Quark and Rom. Dukat does play a significant role. Nice added bonus of showing Pulaski's departure, and Crusher's return, to Enterprise-never shown on the show.
Good story though, I enjoyed it.
Jerry
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See my review of the entire Double Helix series here:

Scott Miller
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Pulaski is far more tolerable on the page than she was on the show, even likable.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
All of these were pretty good.
Oliver Samir
Viv Wright
Oct 25, 2014
Devin Copes
Sep 21, 2019

• The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • The Two-Front War (Star Trek: New Frontier, #3)
  • Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Destined
  • H.P. Lovecraft's the Hound and Other Stories (Manga)
  • The Battle of Betazed (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Captain's Oath
  • Excelsior: Forged in Fire
  • Five Fall Into Adventure (The Famous Five, #9)
  • Five Get Into Trouble (Famous Five, #8)
  • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #3)
  • Interphase, Part 2 (Star Trek: S.C.E., #5)
  • The Antares Maelstrom
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • One Small Step (Star Trek: Gateways, #1)
  • Star Trek Insurrection
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Gauntlet
  • Sarek
Pen Names
Edward Taft
Dee W. Schofield
D.W. Smith
Sandy Schofield
Kathryn Wesley

Dean Wesley Smith is the bestselling author of over ninety novels under many names and well over 100 published short stories. He has over eight million copies of his books in print and has books published in nine different countries. He has written many original novels in science fiction, fantasy, mystery, thriller,

Star Trek: Double Helix (6 books)
  • Infection (Star Trek: Double Helix, #1)
  • Red Sector (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #53; Double Helix, #3)
  • Quarantine (Star Trek: Double Helix, #4)
  • Double or Nothing (Star Trek: Double Helix, #5)
  • The First Virtue (Star Trek: Double Helix, #6)

News & Interviews