Start by marking “The Forgotten Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Forgotten Daughter

The Forgotten Daughter

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  1,070 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
‘You were adopted’.

Three simple words, in a letter accompanying her parent’s will, tear Nisha’s carefully ordered world apart. Raised in England, by her caring but emotionally reserved parents, Nisha has never been one to take risks.

Published February 28th 2014 by Bookouture (first published February 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Forgotten Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forgotten Daughter

Magdalena
Evocative, beautifully written, emotional The Forgotten Daughter is an absolute pleasure to read. Renita D'Silva's writing is absolutely exquisite; smells, colours, they are so vivid, almost intoxicating.
Interweaving stories of three different women, D'Silva created a wonderful book covering themes of love, familial bonds and cultural identity. Her characters are strong and filled with emotions and fully relatable.
It was my first book by that author but it won't be the last. Highly recommended!
Pankaj Giri
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came to know about this book while I was surfing through my Facebook timeline (I follow Fingerprint publishers’ page—one of the best Indian publishers who never publish any poorly written book. All their books are well edited and have a perfect combination of good language and entertainment. To have my book published by them someday is one of my aspirations). I had just finished reading ‘The Kite Runner’ by Khaled Hosseini, my favorite book, and I was beginning to understand what kind of writi ...more
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
Fingerprint Publishing House is slowly becoming my favourite source of review copies. They have been consistently publishing really good books. The Forgotten Daughter by Renita D’Silva only adds to their collection.

The Forgotten Daughter is the story of three women – Shilpa, Devi and Nisha. It is the story of their lives, their choices and their ups and downs in life. On one hand we have Nisha whose life falls apart after her parents’ death with a simple note. The words ‘You were adopted’ breaks
Missy J
2.5* to 3*

Wordy. Really wordy.
I read "The Forgotten Daughter" by Renita D'Silva as part of my book club's 6 months journey through the 6 different regions of India (East, Central, West, South, North, Northeast). This was the chosen book for South India. I can't help but feel that we could've chosen a better book.

"The Forgotten Daughter" is wordy. I wish an editor could've shortened some of the passages and descriptions. It felt like the author had to describe every single smell and everybody's
Cleo Bannister
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
What is it like to find out you are adopted? How much worse would it be to find out on the death of your parents by way of a letter?

The Forgotten Daughter examines the life of three women, Nisha who lives in England and the recipient of the news that she was adopted. The only piece of information she has is the address of a convent in India to start the trail of why her mother gave her away. Nisha longs to know why her parents chose to bring her to England to start a new life with no knowledge o
Shalini Boland
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of crime and thrillers, so it was a lovely change to read this on holiday. It's one of those books you sink into and just want to keep reading. The author has a great writing style that carries you along and makes you feel as though you're right there with the characters. You can almost smell the jasmine and taste the food - the food! (There are recipes). The story itself was intriguing and heartbreaking and yet, in the end, you could understand why it all happened. I'm so looking f ...more
Teresa Driscoll
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and beautifully-written story that makes the reader question what it is that truly makes us who we are. Renita D'Silva's clever plot whisks us between the heat and spices of India and the cool contrast of England as Nisha struggles to discover and then understand her roots. Terrific writing. I loved it!
Brenda
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a fabulous book about a mother's love, and one of the few books that I anticipate reading again. I don't very often take the time to write a review but just had to for this one. Highly recommend this book, great story and interesting setting in a small village in India.
Elise
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great vacation read. The story moved along and kept me entertained. Enough said.
Inderpreet Uppal
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one book that has surprised me with its content, writing style and just the evocative images that Renita D’Silva’s writing evokes. I picked the book due to its blurb about the changes the truth about being adopted would evoke.

I was fully prepared for it to be a tear jerker with the story from the point of view of a child but I was in for a pleasant surprise. This book is not about tears, loss or sadness. The Forgotten Daughter is a story about life, love and longing and a lot more. The a
Sandeep Sharma
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For Parents the most prized possession are their children but sometimes, circumstances plays a pretty cruel role and same happened in the life of Nisha. ‘You were adopted’, was written on the letter which she received from her parents after their death. Her life is now having a big question mark on her existence and all the answers lies in India, a land pretty unknown to her.

Devi and Shilpa are fighting their own battle against the cruel games of life. Devi is giving her last shot to save the li
Maria Turley
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written story of three woman, a mother and her twin daughters. Through a series of circumstances, one of the daughters must be given up for adoption. She did not learn she was adopted until after her adoptive parents suddenly died. All her life she believed they were her birth parents, not understanding why they never talked about her birth, her early years and other questions she had. After her discovery she embarks on a journey to fund her birth mother.

Through the eyes of
Elaine
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read and enjoyed the author’s first novel, Monsoon Memories, but I absolutely LOVED The Forgotten Daughter. Set partly in England but mainly in India. It is the story of three women.

Nisha is mourning the death of her parents when she comes across a letter from them announcing to her that she was adopted. We follow her coming to terms with the news and making the decision to travel to India to discover her roots.

Devi is holding a vigil by her sick mother’s bedside. She has always felt angry at
Sue Watson
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was brilliant. The narrative is driven by the interweaving stories of three women, Nisha, Shilpa and Devi - all different, with different lives and different stories - but at the same time connected. The book covers huge themes such as cultural identity, motherhood, family, secrets, love and the bonds that tie us together and at the same time, the author is a fantastic storyteller - you can't put the book down. The lyrical descriptions of the sights, sounds and smells of India just tra ...more
Judith
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Judith by: Renita D'Silva
Another touching story by Renita D'Silva. Upon receiving my copy, I instantly dove into it and found that I just didn't want to put it down. A wonderful story of a mother and two daughters...the struggles, pain, joys and redemption...a beautiful second novel. Descriptive and colourful writing made me feel that I was in the story myself - smelling the smells and seeing the vivid colours of India through Devi and Nisha as well as experiencing their joys and sorrows. Her characters are so real with ...more
Cheryl Hand
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The story was fantastic. I loved the characters and got to know them all. Enjoyed the way it was written with each character taking their turn at the story. The ending was satisfying - that always puts a book at the top of my list. At times, I felt the writing was almost too descriptive, although very well done. I think this would be a good book club discussion. So many questions and I'm sure many opinions. One of the better books I've read in the past few years. I recommend it.
Emily
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A lovely book, I loved the way the story was told from different perspectives. I felt immersed in the culture and the lives of the characters and I was engrossed throughout. I think I preferred the Devi/Shilpa storyline as it was told in the first person. The book surprises you and there are a few twists and turns which I liked. I'd definitely recommend.
Patricia Mccullagh
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this story line and found I was gripped from beginning to the end. It was a bit confusing at first but once I got used to the different chapters for each character I found that it made a lot of sense.
Jj Miko
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. This author is such a great story teller!!!
kimberley brodhead
Wonderful

What a beautiful story. Heart rendering at times. Very well written. Loss love and hope. You will love this book. I've started Monsoon Memories.
noreen
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a beautifully written book! My only regret is that I did not read it more slowly to savor it.
Diane Lybbert
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
D'Silva writes in a beautiful style. She brings the sights, colors, and smells to the reader, making the scene complete. This story is told by 3 women. The story revolves around twin baby girls born in India. One has a cleft palate, and she ends up in a convent, and eventually adopted by an American couple of Indian descent. The other daughter is raised by her mother. Neither one knows about the other until they are adults. The story is well-told and complete. The characters are developed, and e ...more
Viviane Crystal
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nisha’s parents are scientists who have never shown much love to their daughter but instead taught her to find solace in numbers. She is a successful statistician in a Canadian university, but her world is about to fall apart. After her parents’ death in a tragic car accident, Nisha receives a letter from them that was left with the family lawyer. “You are adopted!” Words that are like a tsunami breaking down her secure world and awakening her emotional side that she never knew existed, since th ...more
Fiona
The story starts when Nishas parents died in a car crash. They live in England. The attorneys give Nisha a letter where she learns for the first time that she is adopted. She is an adult now and has just learned she is adopted. She wants to know who she is. Who was her mother and why did she give her up. Nisha travels to India to locate the convent where she lived and her adoptive parents found her.

Shilpa lives in India and is poor. She has two daughters. One has a cleft lip and there is no way
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)
Did I enjoy this book: Yes, I did.

If there was an Olympic event in Sochi this winter for writing, I imagine we’d see Renita D’Silva sanding atop a podium, gold medal glistening around her neck, a rivulet spilling onto her cheeks from moistened eyes, and her national anthem playing in the background.

Ok, I confess: I stole the word “rivulet” from the book. I had to look it up, along with “bedeckled” and “sobriquet.” And I’m still not sure how to pronounce them.

This isn’t a quick, easy story to blo
Mary
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: twins, india, parenting
'You were adopted'. Three simple words, in a letter accompanying her parent's will, tear Nisha's carefully ordered world apart. Raised in England, by her caring but emotionally reserved parents, Nisha has never been one to take risks. Now, with the scrawled address of an Indian convent begins a search for the mother and family she never knew and the awakening of childhood memories long forgotten. The secrets, culture and people that Nisha discover will change her life forever. And, as her eyes a ...more
Alison
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: india, england
I like how the author writes with detailed descriptions of what the characters see, feel, smell etc., as it gives one such a wonderful visual of the country, place or person being describes. Set both in England and India.
This is the story which goes back and forth between three women, Nisha, Shilpa and Devi. As their stories evolve so does the the mystery of Nishas birth. The story starts in England, where Nisha's parents have died in an accident and in a letter left to her, she finds out she ha
Fiona Valpy
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful and moving book. Renita D’Silva skilfully weaves together the distinct voices of three women into a compelling, bittersweet story of the joy, pain and complexity of the love between a mother and her daughters. Sumptuously described, the lyrical prose paints a vivid picture of the sights, sounds, smells and tastes of India, evoking the beauty and the richness of culture alongside the poverty and the mystery. A highly recommended read.
Beth
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreaking

Three women bound together by familial ties. Nisha has to go on a physical journey to find her biological family. Devin comes to understand her mothers choices. It seems to move quickly and sometimes Nisha"s memories should have been more clearly described,as such. I would read a few sentences of the paragraph before I realized it was a memory. Overall, a sorry of choices and love.
Therese
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 actually! An excellent book and a wonderful story. I believe I experienced every emotion while reading; the story is tender, intriguing, sad, sweet, beautiful, and so much more. The two things that kept me from giving this a 5-star rating is it jumped around a bit in the beginning and I was somewhat confused by it; and when the author describes items from the Indian culture she doesn't explain what the word means. So, that being said, I would highly recommend this book!
Around the Year i...: The Forgotten Daughter, by Renita D'Silva 1 10 Oct 02, 2017 03:53PM
Around the World ...: Discussion for The Forgotten Daughter 11 26 Sep 25, 2017 05:24AM
The beauty and the beast 1 6 Jun 15, 2015 11:08AM
  • The Silent Hours
  • Running with the Enemy
  • Haunting Bombay
  • The Missing One
I love nothing better than to lose myself in a good book. The only thing that comes close to the feeling I get when I read is when I am writing. I am the author of 'Monsoon Memories','The Forgotten Daughter','The Stolen Girl', 'A Sister's Promise', 'A Mother's Secret', 'A Daughter's Courage' and 'Beneath An Indian Sky'. I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I loved writing them.

More about Renita D'Silva

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • You Can't Keep a Good Woman Down: Stories
  • The Last Storyteller: A Novel Of Ireland
  • The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Temple of My Familiar (The Color Purple Collection)
  • Vengeance Road
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“For me, food doesn’t just taste sweet, sour, spicy, what have you—it tastes of feelings, it invokes memories.” 0 likes
“prasadam from the children’s hands and the children” 0 likes