Start by marking “The McKinsey Way” as Want to Read:
The McKinsey Way

The McKinsey Way

"If more business books were as useful, concise, and just plain fun to read as THE MCKINSEY WAY, the business world would be a better place." --Julie Bick, best-selling author of ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW IN BUSINESS I LEARNED AT MICROSOFT. "Enlivened by witty anecdotes, THE MCKINSEY WAY contains valuable lessons on widely diverse topics such as marketing, interviewing, te ...more
Published February 22nd 1999 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published February 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The McKinsey Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The McKinsey Way

Ahmed Bin Madhi أحمد بن ماضي

Pros:

- Simple language, very accessible and follows a logical flow of topics

- Short. You can read it in a short/mid flight (not that I did:)

- Structured approach for many commonsensical things business professionals naturally do (some may see this as a con)

- Some useful tips here and there (e.g. interviewing tips)

Cons:

- Not much insight as one would expect from the book title.. no mind blowing/eye opening revelations about McKinsey’s inner workings

- Too generalist (though I believe one should no
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
A very good book. Though, the best way to characterise it would be to requote from it:

I think anything I say would be too cynical.
—Former associate in the London office

Here goes a bit of tongue-in-the-cheek vocab for it:

1. “What’s the so-what?”

Translation: How is this analysis useful?

Real meaning: You’re one up on me because you’ve done a ton of complex analysis and I haven’t. Allow me to reassert my authority by challenging you to explain the purpose, and implying that while you are living ins
Boyd Coleman
Feb 15, 2010 rated it did not like it
This is the most worthless book ever written. Some of the McKinsey wisdom:

Put charts in you presentations to display data. Really!?

A good assistant is priceless. I was thinking of someday getting an awful one.

Don't become a work-a-holic? hmmmm.....

Every problem has 3 causes and 3 solutions. That would make solving problems easier. If only it were true! That's not how you solve problems, that's how you sell solutions to clients! Consultants suck.

I hope for nobody else to waste their money on this
Suhrob
Sep 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book has:

1. lots of trivial advice (be organized, use charts...)
2. tiny bits of interesting (but not world-shattering) concepts (e.g. MECE) described in a shallow enough detail so that it won't help you all that much
3. McKinsey-ites work long hours*. You'll hear that on every second page.
4. mixture of boring business stories with occasional glances of the borderline sociopathic business power-player archetype.

There are also bits that are clearly incorrect, mostly when he tries to branch ou
Antonina Sh
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I started my digging into consulting industry with - and I think I made the right choice. A very fast and easy reading, I'd say even fascinating. Great for the starters, to give you a general insight into the industry and how it works. Actually, I guess anyone in business management/corporate world would find something useful to get out of it. Some really helpful advise and tips.
It helped me understand what I really want to do, and where to start. That being said, I'll pr
TarasProkopyuk
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Книги от действующих и бывших партнёров McKinsey подобны огню принесённых Прометеем для людей из Олимпа, и эта не исключение.

McKinsey это одна из колыбелей где рождаются и задаются стандарты ведения и управления бизнес процессов и бизнеса в целом.

Эта книга будет очень полезна не только для людей и компаний, которые работают в консалтинговом бизнесе. Знания, принципы, ценности и методы роботы одной из самых известных консалтинговых компаний можно и обязательно нужно перенести в свой бизнес.
Shantanu
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book. Wonderful insights on the management skills needed for consultants, the do's and dont's. Definitely a must read for a beginner consultant.
Cakra
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Easy to read, but a lot of gimmick that praises McKinsey or author achievements too much. Some points are good and can be applied in general. Some others are specific to politics in workplace.

Key takeways:
- Make data-driven decision.
- Things at McKinsey come in threes. Three items in list, three hypothesis, three actionable items, etc.
- Structure everything: facts, framework of thinking.
- Think about the big picture: take a step back, figure out what to achieve, look at what we're doing, and ask
Emad Aly
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the most important and useful books. Easy to follow.
Avishek Saha
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very well written, filled with interesting anecdotes and practical examples. A must-read for anyone who wishes to know more about the consulting industry
Dave Bolton
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting enough but not super insightful. I gleaned a couple of points about how to structure thinking in a business setting, but overall it was mainly common sense. It's a quick read though so it was worth it just for the couple of takeaways.
Alex
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Despite my better judgement, I read this after someone rather sincerely recommended it to me. Am now weighing whether to 'restructure' that relationship after enduring this book's rapidly deteriorating prose for 2 hours.
محمد العمرو
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I believe it's one of the essential books for business development and entrepreneurs although it's all about McKinsey's management consulting experience.

Main Focuses:
- Structure Thinking for most common business situations
- Business and Data Storytelling
- Presentation skills development
- Communication skills

I saw in some points of the book that it explains trivial situations in a very boring context.

Papuna
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book exercised pretty chill, open and simple style for the communication of what one of the most demanding jobs on Earth is about. Liked it, however some things seemed just too obvious to be written in it. Overall, I recommend this book to everybody who think they want to get engaged in solution selling even at their present spots of employment not really stepping into consulting.
some interesting for me excerpts follow
• Mckinsey is to management as Cartier is to jewels
• Firms strict policy: up
Vimal Sevak
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Hmmm , It was interesting to pick the book with big brand of " Mckinsey Way" .

I had lot of expectation with this book on business problem solving but book failed to do it. If you are just management graduate , it may found interesting but for the experienced professional its just normal guidelines.

I would love to rate it higher side if Rasiel has added some tools / technics / Models in this book . It may be because of confidentiality agreement with Mckinsey , he has not added it in the part .
Rajesh
Feb 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Essentially doesnt offer too much insight into the tools that make McConsulting so valued. However, it is a very simple read touting the basic tenets of problem solving, the lifestyle of a consultant, the "firm"'s ethos touched upon on a superficial basis. Takeaways...MECE, information flow, doing the best one can within time and resource limits, hypothesis driven approaches etc.
Prashant
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book could be your preliminary coursework on How to be a Consultant?
Very lucidly written and replete with example from the company itself this book is indispensable if you want to know the life about the life of a consultant.
Mohan
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A book with a little more deep dive into McKinsey strategy than McKinsey Mind but focused well on how to present and get a buy in from your clients. Good read.
Aum Panuwat
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
'The McKinsey way' taught me that every problem has a solution! so keep going
InvestingByTheBooks.com
This is a dual tail. The McKinsey Way on the one hand gives an account of the work that the consultants at “the Firm” perform. On the other hand it describes the character and corporate culture of the world’s most prestigious management consultant firm. Unfortunately everything is held at a very basal level. The book cover slightly speculatively reads “Penetrate the McKinsey mystique and learn the secrets” – very little is however revealed. Ethan Raisel is a former McKinsey consultant who also h ...more
Jeetesh Agrawal
Saw some really nice reviews and started reading the book. This is great read for a beginner in problem solving career (an analyst or a junior associate in consulting). Anyone willing to or about to join McKinsey or similar consulting firms will definitely benefit reading this.

Key takeaways from book for any professional trying to climb up in its organisation or career:

1. Check where your target people hang out. What club they. What places they eat. Join those places and you will eventually end
Tushar Gargava
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
The first impression of the book comes off strong, with Fact-based, Structured, Hypothesis-driven + MECE making a deep impact on the mind of the reader. But gradually the book loses its sheen. By the end I was half-disappointed and was wondering what the true motive of the book was!

The author has only worked in "the Firm" for less than three years, and hasn't written anything that could put him in trouble (having signed the NDA, of course). There's so much praise for McKinsey and its employees,
Atman Pandya
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This is a wonderful primer to the world of consulting. If you're someone who has no idea about the consulting world, you'll love this book. The book is well structured and manages to convey information in a succinct manner.

The author divides the book into 3 main parts
1) Approaching the problem
2) Solving the problem
3) Selling the problem

Under each of these he tells you how consultants go about each of these steps. MECE, Initial Hypotheses. How to come up with Fact-based, Hypothesis driven soluti
Donn
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall a decent book, but it's one where the target audience is a little bit difficult to determine. For those looking to get into management consulting, and who already have some background in this industry, e.g. have read other books about it or know more or less what it's about, this book would make sense. For those who have no background whatsoever, or the general business book reader, this book will be a harder sell - many of the anecdotes, jokes, and examples seem to be geared those eithe ...more
Michael Bolls
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Written almost 20 years ago and the lessons still ring true.

In The McKinsey Way, Ethan Rasiel gives a basic insight into the world of consulting. He gives insight into how top consultants think and structure their problem-solving. I enjoyed it and was able to use a few insights in my current projects before I even hit page 50. The book offers a nice refresher into the foundations of the consulting world.

Though some of the lessons are generalist in nature, Rasiel was writing for a wider audience.
Ben Shee
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
A great "shallow dive" or "snorkel" into what is probably a dated model of McKinsey operations. There's a certain pride, bordering on arrogance, that comes with associated an entire identity with a "Firm" - one that's not unfamiliar to me, having worked in a large, global law firm - the pride is a necessary justification for the long hours (a fact often repeated in this book), the high fees and what amounts to essentially mistreatment. It takes a certain kind of masochist to enjoy working at a p ...more
Moh
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview of the life of a McKinsey consultant

I’ve always been curious as to what a consultant does, especially a McKinsey consultant. This book gave me a good overview of why McKinsey consultants are top notch.

It boils down to a relentless drive for excellence across the board from recruiting, research, brainstorming, communicating, and executing. I enjoyed learning how McKinsey consultants think of problem solving and separating facts from opinions. It also seems that McKinsey has develope
Brian Ritchie
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book - it was a fairly quick and easy read though I intentionally spread it out to have some time to think about the suggestions proposed.

What I found most fascinating was - throughout my career as a Consultant, I have been fortunate to have developed most of these skills through experience and it was quite satisfying to see I wasn't far off the mark to replicating McKinsey's SOP (or the extent that is publicly revealed that is).

While you may not get the through inner working of Th
Gustavo Carvalho
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: consulting
I really enjoyed reading this book but I don't know if you like Management Consulting Firms as I do.
Don't expect to read some life-changing words from the book because it brings the basic about McKinsey way of thinking and for some of you maybe those thoughts are "intuitive".
Ethan explains some concepts that are applied to business problems McK have to solve and can give you some insights for case interviews and even Fit interviews with the Firm.
If you are an expert in business maybe this book i
Mohit
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
"Fact based, structured thinking combined with professional integrity will get you on the road to your business goals. The rest derives from that. go and learn.

That last line made me smile.
I've been fascinated by McKinksey as a company for years. Problem solving for large impactful diverse clients sounds interesting and to take a peek how consulting firms like McKinsey do it is fascinating to say the least.
This book does not reinvent the wheel, speaks about fact based structured analysis of the
  • The McKinsey Engagement: A Powerful Toolkit for More Efficient and Effective Team Problem Solving
  • The Boston Consulting Group on Strategy: Classic Concepts and New Perspectives
  • Dangerous Company: The Consulting Powerhouses and the Businesses They Save and Ruin
  • Managing The Professional Service Firm
  • House of Lies: How Management Consultants Steal Your Watch and Then Tell You the Time
  • Say It with Charts: The Executive's Guide to Visual Communication
  • Key Management Models: The 60+ Models Every Manager Needs to Know
  • The Lords of Strategy: The Secret Intellectual History of the New Corporate World
  • Valuation: Measuring and Managing the Value of Companies
  • McKinsey's Marvin Bower: Vision, Leadership, and the Creation of Management Consulting
  • Case Interview Secrets: A Former McKinsey Interviewer Reveals How to Get Multiple Job Offers in Consulting
  • The Firm: The Story of McKinsey and Its Secret Influence on American Business
  • The $10 Trillion Prize: Captivating the Newly Affluent in China and India
  • The Strategy-Focused Organization: How Balanced Scorecard Companies Thrive in the New Business Environment
  • Flying Without a Net: Turn Fear of Change into Fuel for Success
  • The Flawless Consulting Fieldbook and Companion: A Guide to Understanding Your Expertise
  • Case in Point: Complete Case Interview Preparation
  • The Minto Pyramid Principle: Logic in Writing, Thinking, & Problem Solving

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Ethan M. Rasiel was a consultant in McKinsey & Co. s New York office. His clients included major companies in finance, telecommunications, computing, and consumer goods sectors. Prior to joining McKinsey, Rasiel, who earned an MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, was an equity fund manager at Mercury Asset Management in London, as well as an investment banker.
“As an organization, McKinsey is extremely good at figuring out how much a team can do over the length of a typical study. The best EDs can balance the competing demands of client and team to a nicety; they tell the client, “We’re going to do X and Y. We could do Z, but it would kill the team,” while telling the team, “Look, we’ve already promised the client that we would do Z, so we’ve got to deliver.” They then work the team to its limit while simultaneously making the client feel that he is getting value for money and exceeding his expectations.” 1 likes
“Take your team’s temperature. Talk to your teammates. Make sure they are happy with what they are doing. Find out if they have questions about what they are doing or why they are doing it, and answer them. If they are unhappy, take remedial action quickly. Steer a steady course. If you change your mind all the time about the team’s priorities or the analyses you’re doing, your team will quickly become confused and demoralized. Know where you’re going and stay your course. If you need an extra day to figure it out, take it. If you need to make a big change, let your team know, explain why, and let people contribute to, or at least see, your thought process.” 1 likes