Start by marking “Brilliant Disguise (The Charlie McClung Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Brilliant Disguise (The Charlie McClung Mysteries, #1)

Brilliant Disguise

(The Charlie McClung Mysteries #1)

Are you sure you could tell the difference between murder and suicide?

Having had more than enough of the big city, Detective Charlie McClung moves to a small town looking for a simpler life. Turns out his first case is the most complicated of his career.

A young woman is found shot and while everyone is telling him suicide, his gut, and the dead woman’s beautiful neighb
Published January 18th 2014 by Sellem Books

To ask other readers questions about Brilliant Disguise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brilliant Disguise

Start your review of Brilliant Disguise (The Charlie McClung Mysteries, #1)
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tired of the stress in a big city police job, and having ended his latest attempt at romance, Detective Charlie McClung takes a position in a much smaller community. He is the "new guy" at the police station and the only one who is not from the area. This story takes place before digital cameras and cell phones.

Marian Selby is a young, retired widow who is satisfied with her life, even though she has few close friends.
She has suffered loss, including the deaths of her parents and her pilot husba
T.M. Payne
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Book: Brilliant Disguise: A Charlie McClung Mystery (The Charlie McClung Mysteries)
Author: Mary Anne Edwards
Publication Date: 1/20/2014
Reviewed by: Tammy Payne- Book Nook Nuts
My Rating: 5 Stars

REVIEW
Marian is a widowed woman living alone and although she has a fulfilled life. Her best friend thinks she needs to move on after so many years of being alone.

Tina
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Title: Brilliant Disguise
Author: Mary Anne Edwards
Series: The Charlie McClung Mystery
Publisher: Sellem books
Format: Paperback
Genre: Mystery
Source: Received for review from author
Reviewed by: Marlene

Brilliant Disguise is a story about Marian Selby's neighbor's death. Although it is quickly written off as a suicide Marian will not let it go and drafts the help of Lyman County's newest police detective Charlie McClung. Soon the two of them are not only trying to solve this murder mystery in
Sassy Beta Reading & Review
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a good start to what I hope will be a good series. Marian is a 47 yr young woman (I refuse to say old cause I'm only a few years away) who lost her husband 11 years ago. One night Charlie walks into her life when he is investigating a death next door. Little does Marian know...but her life is about to change forever.

This book has mystery, intrigue, Christian beliefs, the start of romance, laughter and lots of tears....from Marian...not me. she cried... A LOT!!!! I think once a chapter o
Marissa
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
kindle Copy for Review

Detective Charlie McClung finds life in the big city surrounded by his close knit unfulfilling as he searches for his special one that his grandmother promises is out there for him. He moves to a small town in Georgia being a policeman. He figures he will live a quiet life in solitude in a small town but things don’t quite go as expected.

When he investigates a murder of a married woman which is somewhat tampered to look like a suicide, he realizes that their corruption on t
Karin
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What does one do when your beloved husband is killed in a plane crash (11 years ago), your parents die, you move to a new neighborhood where you have one friend and one almost younger sister and one of them is killed? Of course, you team up with the new policeman and try to solve the – suicide?? What is going on in this place? Who can you trust? Reminder to me, ALWAYS keep my guns close at hand!
I enjoyed reading this book very much and I am being a good girl and impatiently waiting for the next
Destinys
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great first book to the McClung Series. Mary Anne Edwards, hold you captive page after page. It took only a day to read this book. Marian Selby is the friend and neighbor everyone wants living next door to them. Detective Charlie McClung, has his hands full with a case that he lets Marian jump in to help, what a match made for the detective when he starts having feelings for the 40 year old stunning beauty Marian
Shelly
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read! If you are into suspense, murder and mystery.. Well this is just the book for you! Right from the beginning it has you hooked. With twists and turns throughout the book. You will read it in one sitting. Can't wait to read the next book in this series!
Gina Mashai
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The 1st book in what promises to be a great new series. Kept me guessing until the very end.
Dawn Frazier
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Fast paced, good mystery. Each chapter got better and better. Looking forward to the next book.
Ginny  Gallagher
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Gin's Book NotesThis review was originally posted on Gin's Book Notes

Brilliant Disguise is book 1 in the Charlie McClung Mysteries series by Mary Anne Edwards.

This was a different kind of mystery than I'm used to reading due to the fact that the main characters are more mature...they're in their late 40's. Which as someone that is approaching that "maturity level" I can appreciate. Although they acted so much like grown ups that I questioned my own maturity l
Green Butterfly
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brilliant Disguise is a murder mystery and romance, hence the title 2 for 1. This story is about Marian and a new Detective in town, McClung, trying to solve a murder that happened to one of Marian's good friends next door. The action starts in the first chapter, literally within the first few pages. I find that nice in a mystery. Who wants to wait forever for the good stuff to start happening? I thought this book had a very good story and could tell the author new enough about the content to ma ...more
Margaret
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a great read! Brilliant Disguise had everything a traditional mystery should, as well as a sweet romance that added an additional dimension to the story. Taking place in the 1980s, Brilliant Disguise also does a great job transporting you back to that time, when a cordless phone was as mobile as a phone got, and new neighbors were welcomed with a basket of homemade goodies.

Charlie and Miriam were just great together, giving each other just what they needed to let love in and start living. M
Tabitha Jones
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant Disguise was a wonderful book. Although not typically a mystery book reader this book has just the right amount of Romance too. Mary Anne Edwards is a terrific writer. I love all the details that she puts into the book it makes it seem like I were right there helping look for the clues. I am so happy to have read a book with older characters and adored Marian and Charlie falling in love. The suspense, mystery and love made this a 5 star review for me. I cannot wait for the next book.
Rae
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
This murder mystery begins with two arresting sentences:

"Marian painted her face with dark green clay. Leaning toward the wide bathroom mirror, she made sure every bare spot was covered."

And as soon as I read them, I inwardly begged the author (please, please) to break the paragraph and just let this image hover! It's unsettling, even a bit macabre, isn't it-- this mundane act of concealment? And what follows highlights its importance: Hearing gunshots and screaming, Marian Selby hurriedly wipes
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Marian Selby heard yelling and a gunshot next door, prompting her to run and see what may have become of her good friend and neighbor, Dianne. What she saw shocked her and suddenly brought out the past that haunted her. Death.

Detective Charlie McClung responded to the situation but was only informed that it was a suicide case. Charlie, being the new "fish" in the area after having moved into town two months ago, believed that there was a cover-up with the case. Marian Selby told him she personal
Michelle Nageldinger
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brilliant Disguise by Maryanne Edwards
4 stars
Received in exchange for an honest review from Addicted to books and authors

Her neighbor who is a younger married woman with a little girl age 5 has been shot dead in her home and Marian just doesn’t think things are adding up. They are saying she died of self inflicted gunshot but Marian does no
Miranda Shanklin
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a mystery and a love story all rolled up into one. It starts off strong and keeps going to the last page. It grabbed my attention and I found it hard to put it down.

The story of Charlie and Marian is one that I find myself rooting for. I wanted them to find a way to make it work.

It was very well written and you feel like you know the characters and their surroundings. The author paints a picture that you are able to use your imagination to fill in the little details.

I started the seco
Jen Winters
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent murder mystery!

I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Charlie McClung and Marion. A brilliantly written murder mystery. Ms. Edwards infused humor into the serious plot and sweet developing romance. She had me laughing several times within the first few pages. The plot had me engaged the entire time. This was a straight read through for me;, I didn't want to put the book down! A couple little twists near the end were unexpected. Great read, well edited, and worthy of a five star review.
Kathryn Synoracki
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from the author for an honest review. I loved it! An old fashioned mystery/romance you won't want to put down!
Darlene
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Darlene by: Mary Anne Edwards
Shelves: first-reads
BOY OH BOY here is a Wake Up for you this Morning !! It is Entitled " BRILLIANT DISGUISE: A CHARLIE MCCLUNG MYSTERY" it is written by MARYANNE EDWARDS. This is the very first time that I have read anything from this author . I had rec'd this book as an ARC from Ms Edwards in exchange for an honest opinion. And here is Mouisey's honest opinion of her book.
When I started reading the book from the very first page the author had my attention . She went straight into a murder - you find a neighbour
Page Turners
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story provided a great combination of mystery, suspense and a little romance that kept the story moving and I was unable to put it down until the mystery was solved. I believed myself to be an amateur detective just like Miriam in the story but this mystery proved me wrong with the twists and turns that it took. There were things that I never expected to happen and I loved every minute of it. Charlie is the actual detective working the case. He is new to the town and a little disillusioned ...more
Geri
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has so much going for it I loved it from cover to cover. There was murder, romance, suspense, and put together for one great read. Charlie thought he was done being a detective, but life had other plans. He leaves everything he has known in a big city and even his family who is as close as they come for a chance in a town that is the opposite of everything he has known. Of course murder and crime happen everywhere, so Charlie begins his investigation where he meets Marian. Well from th ...more
Arlene Mullen
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Marian is a normal woman who heard a the death of her friend and neighbor. She goes to try and figure out what is going on. While talking to the police she meets Mr Dreamy or Charlie McClung. They both feel the spark but refuse to admit it at first because of the circumstances.
Upon finding that she had lost another person, it really was a punch in the stomach.
The Chief said it was suicide but Marian is positive that her friend would never do that.
While charlie talks to her he realizes that what
Petrina
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Unsure how to rate

I'm at a bit of a loss on how to rate this book. On the one hand the mystery was pretty solid. I was pretty sure I knew who the killer was, but was proven wrong in the end. I like a story that keeps you on your toes. On the other hand there were some pretty awful characters in this book. Not sure if disliking them simply makes this a well written book or a poor one.

Between the manipulative six year old repeatedly described as hateful, the abused but stupid wife, and the charact
Mary
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
It was very refreshing to read a book that had mystery, a blooming love interest, and a very determined woman in her late 40's. Marian is nearing 50, as being near 50'ish myself, I loved that about this book. Mary Anne Edwards has written a very good story. It stands on the story alone. Goes to show that you don't always have to have explicit sex scenes to have a good book. I really enjoyed this story, so much so that I am going to go straight to A Good Girl, book 2 in this series. OH BTW, even ...more
Kimberly Vanderbloom
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me by a friend and I knew that I just had to read it. I was thoroughly impressed with the writing and character development. It was a murder mystery at it's finest. You really get to know the main characters Charlie and Marian. It was funny getting to know them and how they were going to solve the mystery. It had some hilarious moments that had me giggling and I may have snorted. It had some twists and turns that I didn't expect and I look forward to reading more of ...more
Jamie Sadler
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Murder mysteries are not the norm for me but I really enjoyed this one. It had a lot of different stories and plots built into one. Mariann was still coping with the loss of her husband Lee, who makes an appearance and helps her out, McClung is trying to figure out what he wants, Dan needs to deal with the mistakes that he doesn't remember making, Maggie is in love but comes across and is treated as unlovable and Katie simply needs some good old discipline. Even the sheriff has his own secrets t ...more
Crystal
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great start to this series. I really enjoyed this book. It was a great blend of romance and mystery/suspense. I love McClung and Marian. These two meet because of a shooting in Marian's neighborhood. Something isn't right in the investigation and McClung and Marian are determined to find the truth. While searching for the truth they also discover each other.

I am looking foward to reading more in this series.
Jenny Schwartz
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In this cosy mystery, the setting and the appealing hero and heroine (and their romance) are as absorbing as the puzzle to be solved. There are lovely reflections on life, loss, love and the choices people make.

Mary Anne Edwards has a nice style and I found the retro-nostalgia vibe of a 1980s set mystery enjoyable.

Disclaimer: Mary Anne Edwards and I are members of the same FB books group -- you meet the nicest people on FB :)
« previous 1 3 next »

• One Hex of a Wedding (Chintz 'n China #5)
  • Dreaming of an Undead Christmas
  • Postcards From a Stranger
  • Zero Hour Shifting Power (Before the End #1)
  • Gingerbread to Die For (The Dunbarton Christmas Mysteries Book 2)
  • Killer Christmas (An Emma Wild Holiday Mystery #1)
  • The Last Odyssey (Sigma Force, #15)
  • Emergency Skin
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #5)
  • Caged in Darkness (Caged, #1)
  • Sky Child (Sky Child, #1)
  • Martha Rookie Angel: A Dingebury Town Mystery (Fourth Task Book 4)
  • How to Defeat a Demon King in Ten Easy Steps
  • Before the Clock Strikes (Kyle Simmons Thriller #1)
  • Ark
  • Summer Frost
  • Dragon Mate: Dragon Shifter Romance (MateMatch Outcasts Book 5)
  • Stronger than Blood (Immortal Trinity, #1)
Born in Mercedes, Texas, Mary Anne has lived in Georgia most of her life. A lifelong fan of authors such as Agatha Christie, Anne Perry, Caroline Graham, and Elizabeth Peters, it wasn’t until a few years ago that Mary Anne listened to the voices in her head and wrote her own series of traditional mysteries featuring Detective Charlie McClung.

The first book in the series, Brilliant Disguise, was

The Charlie McClung Mysteries (6 books)
  • A Good Girl (The Charlie McClung Mysteries, #2)
  • Criminal Kind (The Charlie McClung Mysteries, #3)
  • Sins of My Youth: A Charlie McClung Mystery (The Charlie McClung Mysteries Book 4)
  • Flirting With Time: A Charlie McClung Mystery (The Charlie McClung Mysteries Book 5)
  • How Deep is the Darkness: A Charlie McClung Mystery (Book 6)