Start by marking “Vixen” as Want to Read:
Vixen

Vixen

Rosie Garland’s extraordinary tale is a story of superstition and devotion in the time of the Black Death and will bewitch both new readers and fans of her much-loved debut, The Palace of Curiosities.

Devon, 1349. In Brauntone, where seagulls screech across the fields and the wind has a mind to change, Father Thomas arrives as the new priest. Determined to impress his congr
Unknown Binding, 400 pages
Published June 19th 2014 by The Borough Press

To ask other readers questions about Vixen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vixen

Taylor M. Barbour
I'll be honest in saying it was the gorgeous cover enveloping this story that grabbed my attention. I read the synopsis before purchasing it, and though it didn't jump out at me, I still thought I would give it a go. As a writer, it's important to read any and all kinds of stories. But I'm afraid Vixen just wasn't for me.

Writing
Garland has a very flowery writing style, words that make you squint instead of nod with understanding. I appreciate poetic writing, and it is fitting for a story like
Phee
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
2.5 Stars.

This was okay but I lost interest towards the end.
Olga Kowalska (WielkiBuk)
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, very feminine story about the feeling of otherness within a small village community in the Middle Ages. A girl can be a miracle, can be a witch, can be a curse or salvation... In the darkness there can be also some place for love and light...
Storyheart
4.5 stars. What a gorgeous, moving and atmospheric story to start the year with! Highly recommended for those who love lush prose and medieval settings.
T.E. Shepherd
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
The old adage goes that you should never judge a book by its cover. It's true that I adore the cover of this book, and it's also true that I decided to read this book because of the cover, which I guess in part means that my friend, the cover designer, did a really good job!

It wasn't until I had this book in front of me that I realised that it's author, Rosie Garland, was also the singer in Goth Band, the March Violets, who featured on the soundtrack to one of my favourite 80's movies, Some Kin
Kirsti
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
First off, if you spotten this gorgeous book on the shelf you will probably be instantly attracted to the cover. It's quietly beautiful in a sea of brightly colored books; somehow the splash of orange attracted my eye like none around it. Plus, well, it's a fox. I love foxes, and the title 'Vixen' helped as well.

This wasn't really like any other book I've ever read. At times crude, and others beautiful, I initially couldn't even read it. I had no idea what was happening with any of the story lin
Johanna Pas
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!
Carmilla Voiez
This is the second book by Rosie Garland that I have read and I thoroughly enjoyed both. They would be best described as dark fairy tales.

Vixen is set in South West England in the time of the plague. Frightened people are looking for miracles and their priest, Thomas, is determined to provide them. It looks with an unflinching and critical gaze at the corruption of Catholicism and the rampant misogyny that accompanies the religious doctrine.

When a child is found close to death the priest decla
Marie
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved it. Her original style of writing and her form of grim fairy tale seperate this book from any other I've read. I won't forget it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Will definitely try one of her other books.
Robin
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars might be closer, but then, historical fiction isn't really my thing so I feel like it should get bonus points for keeping my interest until the end.

As it happens, I got my hands on an Advance Copy and -- might as well be honest -- read it as much for the wonderful cover as anything else. I haven't read The Palace of Curiosities so I don't know how they compare.

I can say this about Garland: she uses language with an almost reckless calculation sometimes, or maybe I mean a calculated r
Amy
Mar 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
I read like 40% and I don't know what's the point of the book. Where I'm at in the book, I figure out that Vixen is a shapeshifter?? Or putting some kind of illusion? Anyways, i don't know what the hell is going on. But I'll try to to add it to my #bnf because the cover is so beautiful. Let's see what happens.
Gillian Burles
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really liked this book. The blend of superstition/religion with the power of the church is evocative then with the horror of the plague results in a powerful tale. Beautiful writing and worth your time
Jennifer G
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This has got to be one of the strangest books that I have ever read. But it kept me captivated until the end.

If you decide to read it, hang in there through the first few "vixen" chapters. It gets better!
Callum McLaughlin
There was much to like about this book. Garland's prose is largely excellent, and I thought she evoked the atmosphere of the rural 1300s setting very well. The backdrop of the impending Black Death was great; lots of interesting characters and ideas were brought into play throughout the story; and for a long book that isn't exactly heavy on action, I flew through it, which must say something.

However, I can't help but feel like it could have delivered so much more than it did. Fantastic themes ar
Gabrielle
I suppose my lucky streak of awesome books had to end sooner or later... With "Vixen", I am afraid I succumbed to the book's gorgeous cover-art and my own blind optimism.

Thomas is the new priest of the small Devon village of Brauntone. He is a man of rigid principles and punitive morals. Anne is a young girl who finds a way to become Thomas' housekeeper, expecting that he will then take her as his mistress. Vixen is a strange creature who, not unlike Scheherazade, seduces and amuses Death in ord
Jenny
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Set in fourteenth century Devon, 'Vixen' tells the story of Father Thomas and his young housekeeper Anne, whose lives are thrown into turmoil by two new arrivals to the community: a young, mute girl and a deadly plague. Anne, who had hoped for rather more than to be merely Father Thomas's housekeeper, discovers a passionate friendship with the 'Maid' as the priest spirals further and further down a dark path in a desperation to restore his parish's faith.

This is a story as much about what it mea
Rebecca
My library labels this book as historical fiction, but to do so is to simplify it. It's much richer and more interesting than that. Equally, I don't want to give spoilers.

Set during the mid-14th century when everyone is terrified of the Black Death, this novel explores how our lead characters try to cope with this climate of fear. Amongst this turmoil, there is room to explore gender roles and the role of religion as priests realise prayers are useless against the Plague.

I like the structure:
The Idle Woman
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This was on my library wishlist even before I read Rosie Garland’s Night Brother, and without knowing a thing about it. I was just intrigued by the title and tantalised by the cover: I thought it might be a bit like Emma Geen’s Many Selves of Katherine North, but of course I was thinking too literally. Set in the Devon village of Braunton in the plague year of 1349, it in fact tells the story of Thomas, the village priest; Anne, his housekeeper and would-be wife; and the strange, mute girl who i ...more
Natalie
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a quick read. An alright book. A wine which smells nicer than it tastes. A shrug.

I am kicking myself for literally judging a book by its cover. I picked it up because it looked mysterious and ethereal.

On the one hand hand, it is a good basis and background: how people in a 14th century English village deal with the impending plague. On the other hand, there are plot holes, inconsistency and things left unexplained; the stilted, two-dimensional characters with wooden, predictable develo
Carol
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Set in Medieval times, my favourite period of English history, against a background of an all-powerful church, superstition and the constant threat of plague, I so wanted to like this novel.And I really did enjoy some of Garland's prose style. She has an eye for detail, did her research thoroughly and writes almost poetically to create a scene, a smell, an atmosphere. She deals with major themes too, of faith, love and what women endure in a patriarchal society. But; character development is alm ...more
Esmé Van Den  Boom
May 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a classic tale of "don't judge a book by its cover." 50 pages in, I was in doubt whether I should read on or just quit. I don't like quitting, but this goes to show that I should have. Events and emotions and character development all felt very unrealistic in this novel, I could not feel much sympathy for any of the characters although they all had their struggles. There was a lot of drama going on, violence, death, love, but none of it felt like it was actually happening, mainly becaus ...more
Klara Toll
3,5 stars!

I really enjoyed this for a lot of reasons. The characters where interesting and their development was great, the writing was really nice and I've also just always been very fascinated by this historical period.

The things I didn't particularly like was that it dragged a little throughout and that the ending then almost felt a little rushed to me. Also I just wasn't a big fan of the ending overall, but I guess that was a bit of the point as well.
Rose
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lari
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was drawn into the beginning of the story with the Vixen’s views on religion and humanity. With the introduction of Anne and Thomas, I was enveloped in their characters and the way they each told their story from differing points of view. It didn’t end how I’d hoped, but I enjoyed reading this book and waiting for what came next.
Liz
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alright but I liked the idea of it better than the actual reading of it. I kept going mainly just to finish it. I'd rather be reading because I'm caught up in a story, identify with the characters and want to know what happens to them but this was unfortunately not the case here. It felt as if the author was too caught up in herself/himself and striving to be clever.
Sarah Kingston
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Again, this book had all the ingredients to be something I loved. I loved the idea of a medieval setting in the time of the plague, and a mysterious girl creature emerging from the forest. But unfortunately I feel like this book kept ducking its head beneath the waves but never getting to the depth it was actually aiming for. Everything just felt a bit...shallow.

I wanted more. I wanted to feel more of the terror of the approaching epidemic, the wonder of Vixen, the longing for intimacy of Anne i
Hope
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vixen is a novel about religion/superstition in mid 1300's England.
I love Rosie Garland's earthy writing style, the characters were interesting
and well developed. I felt that I was immersed amongst the village and nature
scenes. Loved it!
Elizabeth Judd Taylor
A strange little gem of a book. It took me a little while to really warm to it, but once I did the characters really grabbed me, especially Anne and the Vixen. It is a fairytale for grownups, about the evils of men and the goodness of love. Highly recommended.
Dana
Ann
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful lyrical prose writing that kept me turning the pages but I had to skip over the graphic lesbian sex scenes!
  • Starblood
  • Voices of the Damned
  • Mr Peacock's Possessions
  • City of Dreams (The Paris Chronicles #1)
  • Little Egypt
  • All Fall Down
  • Within
  • A Charming Nightmare (ACN, #1)
  • Spook Lights: Southern Gothic Horror
  • The Cheapside Corpse (Thomas Chaloner, #10)
  • The Visitors
  • The Man Who Saved Henry Morgan
  • The Devil's Fire (The Devil's Gate Trilogy, #2)
  • The Black Lily Club
  • The Poison Bed
  • The Table of Less Valued Knights
  • The Coffin Path
  • The Moon Field
Born in London to a runaway teenager, Rosie has always been a cuckoo in the nest. She's an eclectic writer and performer, ranging from singing in post-punk gothic band The March Violets, through touring with the Subversive Stitch exhibition in the 90s to her alter-ego Rosie Lugosi the Vampire Queen, cabaret chanteuse and mistress of ceremonies.

She has published five solo collections of poetry and